ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

wilbury

Feb 19, 2005
I know some people aren't happy that we've missed some field goals but we're putting up some pretty good numbers in other areas:

Total Kickoff Defense - #1 in the nation - 8 games, 39 touchbacks, zero returns. The only team that hasn't allowed one kickoff return.

Net punting - #2 in the nation and #9 in the nation in total return yards allowed at only 19 total return yards.

Both are pretty impressive especially considering it's the same guy.

Touchbacks make us #1. Punting is solid. However too many missed field goals. Where is Pinegar?

On the sideline. Saw him in Columbus warming up like usual and talking with Stout on the sideline throughout the game. Looks like he just flat out got benched.

I know some people aren't happy that we've missed some field goals but we're putting up some pretty good numbers in other areas:

Total Kickoff Defense - #1 in the nation - 8 games, 39 touchbacks, zero returns. The only team that hasn't allowed one kickoff return.

Net punting - #2 in the nation and #9 in the nation in total return yards allowed at only 19 total return yards.

Our return game, both punt and kick are almost non-existent.

Jordan Stout will be a great insurance program and will be punting in the NFL if his season continues as it has so far. His ability to kickoff with touchbacks and kick field goals will make him valuable to an NFL team, just in case their regular kicker gets injured during a game.

On the sideline. Saw him in Columbus warming up like usual and talking with Stout on the sideline throughout the game. Looks like he just flat out got benched.
With no chance to prove himself. Stout has missed 6 field goals. Another coaching failure.

WTF, is James & company keeping the better of the field goal kickers off the field?
Is this SOP in college football?
His average on field goals is near the bottom of the Big Ten. He missed a field goal that might have extended the game to an on side kick against Ohio state, missed an extra point and a field goal against Wisconsin, and missed a field goal that might have won the game vs Illinois.

Our return game, both punt and kick are almost non-existent.
I think we should have returned some of those kicks against OSU. On punt returns, I can't remember the last time we've had a decent chance to return a punt.

Reactions: BBrown
WTF, is James & company keeping the better of the field goal kickers off the field?
Is this SOP in college football?
Who says Pinegar is the better FG kicker? If he can't prove it in practice he doesn't deserve to prove it on the field.

Reactions: step.eng69
His average on field goals is near the bottom of the Big Ten. He missed a field goal that might have extended the game to an on side kick against Ohio state, missed an extra point and a field goal against Wisconsin, and missed a field goal that might have won the game vs Illinois.
Stout's FG percentage is currently 1 point better than where Pinegar finished last year. Pinegar also missed two FG's against Indiana last year and both would have won the game.

I think we should have returned some of those kicks against OSU. On punt returns, I can't remember the last time we've had a decent chance to return a punt.

I'd like to see our fastest players on KOR. A guy like Wilson who they are looking for a spot to utilize. I've read Meiga is fast. Lytton and Hartlaub are faster gunners. Even Kalen King, you already are getting him into every game.

There was definitely two returnable kickoffs. The way OSU stacks the one side, you have an opportunity to the left.

Punt return would require a change in pressure. Teams slow develop the kick. Dotson is always chasing directional kicks that have air through 2-4 defenders. If not for his excellent hands, could have been a disaster or two on muffs.

Not creating an opportunity is wasting his speed though.

I also think we are giving up some of the "hidden" yards in the punt returns and kick offs, especially kickoffs.
I think Lee is a liability on kickoff returns. He is indecisive and almost cost us a safety against Iowa, by fielding the ball at the half yard line and kneeling down in the endzone. The next kickoff he called a fair catch and took off running. He also doesn't possess breakaway speed, which is a must for a returner.

I think Lee is a liability on kickoff returns. He is indecisive and almost cost us a safety against Iowa, by fielding the ball at the half yard line and kneeling down in the endzone. The next kickoff he called a fair catch and took off running. He also doesn't possess breakaway speed, which is a must for a returner.
Yea I am completely baffled by that. I do not believe for a minute that we don't have anyone else that can return Kickoffs.
What about Holmes, Hardy, Ellis, Daniel George, CSB...

Reactions: creamery freak
question Dotson is one of the best punt returners in the country,why does he keep fair catching??

question Dotson is one of the best punt returners in the country,why does he keep fair catching??
I don't have an answer for you for the away games but the games I've seen at home. He really hasn't had much of a chance.
Everyone seems to have a top notch punter now and sometimes he has guys right on top of him. And this isn't a Franklin or Lorig thing but I've never felt we did a very good job of blocking for our punt returner and especially our kick off returner.
I also think we could use some better guys on the kick returns. Surely there must be a DB or WR thats not a full time player that could return kick offs.
Sorry thats all I got. 🤷‍♂️

This and...
I don't have an answer for you for the away games but the games I've seen at home. He really hasn't had much of a chance.
Everyone seems to have a top notch punter now and sometimes he has guys right on top of him. And this isn't a Franklin or Lorig thing but I've never felt we did a very good job of blocking for our punt returner and especially our kick off returner.
I also think we could use some better guys on the kick returns. Surely there must be a DB or WR thats not a full time player that could return kick offs.
Sorry thats all I got. 🤷‍♂️
...watch how we play punts. Seldom do we ever pretend like we want to block one. Mostly we send 2 guys while 8 run back instantly. Opposing punters either slow their steps or take an extra one. Then they kick high, leaving Dotson to FC surrounded by defenders.

Kickoff return we seem content to take the ball at the 25. Ford, Lee, Lovett has been the options. Not sure we've returned one past the 30 all year. Mostly FC.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
This and...

...watch how we play punts. Seldom do we ever pretend like we want to block one. Mostly we send 2 guys while 8 run back instantly. Opposing punters either slow their steps or take an extra one. Then they kick high, leaving Dotson to FC surrounded by defenders.

Kickoff return we seem content to take the ball at the 25. Ford, Lee, Lovett has been the options. Not sure we've returned one past the 30 all year. Mostly FC.
Was it the OSU game where their punter just waited for his guys to get down field and then kick?

Is that cause or effect?

We have returned 11 kickoffs for 16.9 average.

Ford was our primary guy until his injury. 7/19.9

Holmes has 1/23.0 but he's apparently being redshirted or just not playing.

With all of the other decisions that go against playing field position, the lack of aggression here is interesting.

With all of the other decisions that go against playing field position, the lack of aggression here is interesting.
LOL, was just going to say the same thing with the way he goes for it on, some really questionable 4th down decisions.

Reactions: lazydave841

It's hard to tell about those return averages depending on where they were initiated. I mean fair catches are better than 20 yard returns from the goal line. If the returners never bring it out past the 25, then playing with aggression won't help.

Reactions: step.eng69
It's hard to tell about those return averages depending on where they were initiated. I mean fair catches are better than 20 yard returns from the goal line. If the returners never bring it out past the 25, then playing with aggression won't help.
I agree with you about that. My issue is, it's 70% passive when we are aggressive otherwise.

Also, put your fastest guys back there. Wilson. Dotson. Hartlaub. Lytton. Not our RBs who can't make anybody miss nor break off a long run.

ADVERTISEMENT