ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
A mixed bag I believe so far...
-kickoffs have been tremendous, every one except one out of the end zone.
-punt team has been fantastic. Stout simply flipping the field or pinning them inside the 15 every time. Amazing job, just the 1 penalty for interference which was a poor call.
-field goals not so much...5 for 8 and a miss in every game but one. Needs improvement here.
-punt return unit in my mind could get better simply because we have not shaken number 5 loose just yet. I think we are due here.
-kickoff return unit has been decent when the kick is returnable but I sure would like to see something here in the future.
Overall what are your thoughts? Some very good stuff and a couple of things can get better...

A mixed bag I believe so far...
-kickoffs have been tremendous, every one except one out of the end zone.
-punt team has been fantastic. Stout simply flipping the field or pinning them inside the 15 every time. Amazing job, just the 1 penalty for interference which was a poor call.
-field goals not so much...5 for 8 and a miss in every game but one. Needs improvement here.
-punt return unit in my mind could get better simply because we have not shaken number 5 loose just yet. I think we are due here.
-kickoff return unit has been decent when the kick is returnable but I sure would like to see something here in the future.
Overall what are your thoughts? Some very good stuff and a couple of things can get better...
I don't disagree but a few comments:
  • The future of kickoff returns is in the past. The best thing to do is let it go into the endzone or call fair catch and start at the 25. The only time when there should be a return is in the last minute of the game, if desperate. There are so many penalties even a good return to thee 30 often ends up with you starting around the ten.
  • I am OK with punt returns. First, just catch the ball. Limit the distance and keep it from bouncing on the ground. If you can get a few yards, all the better. But a punt return for a TD is more luck than anything else.

Dotson looks as comfortable catching punts as I have ever seen at PSU, and he is going to break a couple this year. It's a real strength and it will be factor in the B1G season. He's got ball skills like Bobby Engram but he's so much quicker.

The issue I see with our punt return: we don't rush enough men. Kicker gets that extra step or two. Puts some air under it and while we set up for return blocks, Dotson is usually surrounded by the time it gets to his hands.

Reactions: LionJim
The issue I see with our punt return: we don't rush enough men. Kicker gets that extra step or two. Puts some air under it and while we set up for return blocks, Dotson is usually surrounded by the time it gets to his hands.
Is it just me or does it seem there aren’t really any blocked punts any more across college football? We used to see them all the time, but now it’s seems to be a rare occurrence. Maybe they’re happening in games I’m not watching, but I’ve watched more non-PSU games this year than I ever have and I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: lazydave841
Is it just me or does it seem there aren’t really any blocked punts any more across college football? We used to see them all the time, but now it’s seems to be a rare occurrence. Maybe they’re happening in games I’m not watching, but I’ve watched more non-PSU games this year than I ever have and I don’t see it happening.

Virginia Tech made it a big play from like '91-'04.

Alabama has had a few in recent years.

It seems most teams rush 3-4 pretty hard, but nobody seems to go all out like they used do. Completely agree.

Running/roughing rules perhaps?

• The future of kickoff returns is in the past. The best thing to do is let it go into the endzone or call fair catch and start at the 25. The only time when there should be a return is in the last minute of the game, if desperate. There are so many penalties even a good return to thee 30 often ends up with you starting around the ten.
  • I am OK with punt returns. First, just catch the ball. Limit the distance and keep it from bouncing on the ground. If you can get a few yards, all the better. But a punt return for a TD is more luck than anything else.
I would like to see others besides Dotson in punt return. he is good, but his loss due to an injury would be devastating.

also would like to see others in FG/extra point rotation. Stout has not been good there missing short FGs and extra points, and cannot believe that Pinegar lost FG to him. Look at last week when we were in the final scores Pinegar or others could have been kicking extra points. one guy doing all the kicking is almost never done. we need him on KO and punts where he is a difference maker positively. he is a risk on the other stuff. Is Pinegar one of the long line of injuries we have?

Reactions: Obliviax
I would like to see others besides Dotson in punt return. he is good, but his loss due to an injury would be devastating.

also would like to see others in FG/extra point rotation. Stout has not been good there missing short FGs and extra points, and cannot believe that Pinegar lost FG to him. Look at last week when we were in the final scores Pinegar or others could have been kicking extra points. one guy doing all the kicking is almost never done. we need him on KO and punts where he is a difference maker positively. he is a risk on the other stuff. Is Pinegar one of the long line of injuries we have?
I can’t disagree on missed FGs, but I think Stout only missed 1 PAT and was given the laces on that one. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I can’t disagree on missed FGs, but I think Stout only missed 1 PAT and was given the laces on that one. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
If memory serves, Franklin said that the missed extra point needed to be made, regardless of the laces.

Excellent points - both

Virginia Tech made it a big play from like '91-'04.

Alabama has had a few in recent years.

It seems most teams rush 3-4 pretty hard, but nobody seems to go all out like they used do. Completely agree.

Running/roughing rules perhaps?
a couple weeks ago on BTN show, Dinardo said that when a team commits roughing there is a 60% chance they wind up giving up points on that drive. if that is correct and you weigh the odds of the block it makes sense to back off.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT