ADVERTISEMENT

Spanier targeting Lubert

Wonder if Spanier has the resources to take on a guy like Lubert.

BTW, @bjf1991 never got the recognition he deserved for this awesome ad/message:

CnIbR9fXYAALih5.jpg

Last edited:
Moofafoo, WTF, I tried to delete the post because the picture didn't insert.

Starting with the "Sandusky Claimants" suing PSU - rather than the 2nd Mile/State of PA........up through the Paterno Suit not attaching anyone at PSU (yes, PSU was added as a "nominal defendant" in a technical move by the Court)..........
Spanier has been the only guy in the last 10 years who has even named the correct Defendants vav his lawsuit (named defendants that were both responsible and who presented the opportunity to actually illuminate WTF went on)

Good for him.......but:

But I don't think the Court has ANY interest in this suit moving forward as is - precisely because IT DOES name the proper defendants
(Review the PREVIOUS RULING by Eby, the one BEFORE this one, for proof of that)

It's a shame - this was the one, the ONE case, that had a chance to open some doors - and let some sunlight in
I fear that those doors are being hammered shut

I frickin' LOVE that new paragraph about Lubert in Spanier's amended complaint. Particularly the final sentence.

Edit: I find myself scrolling up and re-reading it every time I open this thread. And guffawing every time.

Last edited:
I frickin' LOVE that new paragraph about Lubert in Spanier's amended complaint. Particularly the final sentence.
They mention him again in the last section of the complaint. S. Miscellaneous (page 140)...neuter. Don't normally laugh at my own jokes but...LMAO

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
Wonder if Spanier has the resources to take on a guy like Lubert.

BTW, @bjf1991 never got the recognition he deserved for this awesome ad/message:

CnIbR9fXYAALih5.jpg
As it turns out, "Penn Staters for Accountability" were bent over and ass-humped by the A9 (and we are not talking about a Sandusky "blowing raspberries" encounter - we are talking about a honest-to-goodness bend over and ram it in 34-0 dry hump)

I guess it was a mistake to think that those folks - the A9 - would have an agenda that was congruent with "Penn Staters for Accountability" o_O

Apparently, a nice "JVP Honorarium" was a higher priority

Of course, that was all explained to us unwashed masses after Sept 17th.......right?
Or did I miss that? :rolleyes:

But.....but....but ...... "We are reviewing the Freeh File - Goddammit!!!!!!"

It is what it is

Reactions: nits74 and moofafoo
Forgive the naive Q, but doesn't Lubert just say...I never knew?
Sure he does.........

But - if Eby doesn't kill it (yeah, I know that has the same odds as winning the POWERBALL), that opens the door to sitting Lubert on the stand (or, at least, in a Depo) and asking him:

"Why did you pay off un-vetted Claimants with PSU money?"

"Why did you think it was legal/ethical for you do disburse XXXX multi-million settlement checks without the parameters and the specifics of each of those payments being vetted by the full Board (NOT just the "spend it however you want, but don't tell us nuthin'" crap that was crammed down earlier)?
Who told you that was "OK"?" (and then you can bring all THOSE folks - Dunham? Others? - into the loop)

"Why was an agreement purchased from each Claimant whereby they (the Claimant) ceded their right to pursue actions against the 2nd Mile and against any other entity (including PA Govt agencies)?"

The fact that this suit moving forward "as is" would result in opening those doors.....is exactly why the chance that it does move forward "as is" is - IMO - about as likely as me having that hot oil massage from Gwen Stefani.

Eby's actions in July 2016 showed us that (or should have, if we were paying attention)

I hope and pray I am wrong......and that someday the Spanier attorneys will have Lubert and Freeh in the spotlight......but, in situations like these - being that I am one cynical son-of-a-bitch wrt Judges, Politicos, and those who exercise illegitimate power - I ain't wrong very often.

Edit: I find myself scrolling up and re-reading it every time I open this thread. And guffawing every time.

Reading the first sentence of Paragraph 16, lubert sounds like a mafia don.

Forgive the naive Q, but doesn't Lubert just say...I never knew?
AvgUser: Barry's response pretty much says it all, but that paragraph in the amended complaint is significant for several reasons:

1. It names Ira Lubert as an additional defendant, thus subjecting him to prospective personal liability for damages, although the likelihood is that PSU will be obligated to indemnify him for any legal costs or judgments that may be levied against him, provided he can establish that his actions on behalf of the University were taken in good faith. (God, do I wish I could have seen the look on Lubert's face when he received the Complaint and Summons.]

2. More immediately, it means that Lubert (as a party to this litigation) now has to incur the personal inconvenience of lining up legal representation, formally notifying the University and requesting indemnification, appearing for depositions if his deposition is properly noticed, and generally having to deal with this litigation on a more personal level.

3. Additionally, Lubert's being named a defendant means that details of his employment , assets, personal conduct, and personal life can conceivably become the focus of depositions, interrogatories, or court testimony (not to mention public scrutiny), and some of that could end up being very inconvenient and/or embarrassing to him, even if he is never found liable.

All of which I regard as very good news. Kudos to Graham Spanier.

AvgUser: Barry's response pretty much says it all, but that paragraph in the amended complaint is significant for several reasons:

1. It names Ira Lubert as an additional defendant, thus subjecting him to prospective personal liability for damages, although the likelihood is that PSU will be obligated to indemnify him for any legal costs or judgments that may be levied against him, provided he can establish that his actions on behalf of the University were taken in good faith. (God, do I wish I could have seen the look on Lubert's face when he received the Complaint and Summons.]

2. More immediately, it means that Lubert (as a party to this litigation) now has to incur the personal inconvenience of lining up legal representation, formally notifying the University and requesting indemnification, appearing for depositions if his deposition is properly noticed, and generally having to deal with this litigation on a more personal level.

3. Additionally, Lubert's being named a defendant means that details of his employment , assets, personal conduct, and personal life can conceivably become the focus of depositions, interrogatories, or court testimony (not to mention public scrutiny), and some of that could end up being very inconvenient and/or embarrassing to him, even if he is never found liable.

All of which I regard as very good news. Kudos to Graham Spanier.
Yup. Suddenly that frivolous countersuit doesn't seem like such a good idea, now does it, Mr. Lubert?

ADVERTISEMENT