ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, I HATED The FG To Go Up 17-14!

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
Inside the five you go for the touchdown, if you don’t get it you have great field position.

Screw the third down fade to the corner of the end zone that’s a low percentage play (and a lower percentage when thrown 10 yds out-of-bounds).

Heck, run plays that have been successful before....maybe even the play that beat Iowa last year. And I can’t believe there’s not some version of the Lion that could fool the D, something like a Stevens sweep with a Hamler reverse. Heck, even McSorley simply following Stevens blocking on a QB run.

Two weeks off and NOTHING creative or different on O (or D). From my perspective it simply APPEARS that our coaching staff was overconfident and got completely schooled by Dantonio.

Franklin may be the first person that ever got Dantonio to smile!

Inside the five you go for the touchdown, if you don’t get it you have great field position.

Screw the third down fade to the corner of the end zone that’s a low percentage play (and a lower percentage when thrown 10 yds out-of-bounds).

Heck, run plays that have been successful before....maybe even the play that beat Iowa last year. And I can’t believe there’s not some version of the Lion that could fool the D, something like a Stevens sweep with a Hamler reverse. Heck, even McSorley simply following Stevens blocking on a QB run.

Two weeks off and NOTHING creative or different on O (or D). From my perspective it simply APPEARS that our coaching staff was overconfident and got completely schooled by Dantonio.

Once the score was 17-14 I knew it would end up 21-17. Expected it more than knew it. Another predictable 4th qtr flop.

Once the score was 17-14 I knew it would end up 21-17. Expected it more than knew it. Another predictable 4th qtr flop.

I turned to my wife 6 minutes from the end of the game and said, “I can’t believe we have to watch this happen again!”

It is very frustrating, but I think this is also poor timing. Everyone on this team is a newbie except the QB.

I have to disagree. You must take the points in that situation. This board would have gone nuts if we didn't make it. Nothing was indicating we had the ability to make five yards.

I have to disagree. You must take the points in that situation. This board would have gone nuts if we didn't make it. Nothing was indicating we had the ability to make five yards.
It was 2 yards. But I agree at that point we need to take the points. After all, if we get a first down on our last drive we do win the game.

The fade call on 3rd down was inexcusable though. I do not understand what o coordinators see in that play. It hardly ever works.

Reactions: Nitwit and BBrown
It was 2 yards. But I agree at that point we need to take the points. After all, if we get a first down on our last drive we do win the game.

The fade call on 3rd down was inexcusable though. I do not understand what o coordinators see in that play. It hardly ever works.
“Hardly ever” is being generous

Reactions: psu2016
I have mixed feelings about the 3, but totally agree on the 2 weeks. The extra time appears to have been wasted.
Over the bye, I think RR ...........took plays out of the book. I couldn't watch the entire game (too painful and boring), but in this vaunted PSU version of the RPO, I did not see one pitch, anything that resembled misdirection or even a .......shovel pass (joke). The pass patterns also................stink and seem to be mostly low percentage diagonals and fades. Oh, I long for the days of a 7 yard out or a tight end drag. Oh, did Trace roll out one time by design?
The team colors should be changed to: Blue and Vanilla and the mascot to a Terrapin. I sure Maryland would give it up since it suits Coach Franklin so much better.

Reactions: BBrown

This. As soon as we settled for three it seemed inevitable MSU would score 7 and we’d fold like a Lawn chair.

If only we could call the plays after we see the results of them. The Monday morning quarterbacking is running wild on this board.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
Fair, I am so disappointed.....so incredibly disappointed. The game should not have been close, this should have been a 17-21 pt win.

Kudos to MSU for showing up and really going out and laying it on the line PLAYING TO WIN
If only we could call the plays after we see the results of them. The Monday morning quarterbacking is running wild on this board.

And to think, it’s still only Sunday! :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT