ADVERTISEMENT

Somw Bucco chatter; what happens when Harrison/Mercer return?

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Harrison is starting a rehab assignment in AAA, Mercer is expected to go sometime next week. When they are ready who plays where and who takes a seat?

Assuming Harrison is ready first,. will he play third and sit down Rameras? Kang to third, Harrison at SS, Rameras on the bench? Or will Pedro/Morse take a seat and Rameras go to first? Then what happens when Mercer is back.....Mercer at SS, Kang at third? Harrison is too good to sit but too short for first base. How about Polanco to first, Harrison in RF? Is Mercer out as a starter?

And who gets sent down or released? Floriman and Hart seem to most likely. Rameras hasn't done much but he will be kept. Same with Morse. Maybe a trade to be made?

There is going to be some serious juggling when all are healthy The one thing for sure is that the bench will be stronger with better pinch hitting.

Hart isn't on the roster, 60 day DL. Probably be Ishikawa or Morse with Florimen once the two get back. Think there will be a lot of juggling of all the infielders and Polanco and Clint will go with the hot bat,

Harrison is starting a rehab assignment in AAA, Mercer is expected to go sometime next week. When they are ready who plays where and who takes a seat?

Assuming Harrison is ready first,. will he play third and sit down Rameras? Kang to third, Harrison at SS, Rameras on the bench? Or will Pedro/Morse take a seat and Rameras go to first? Then what happens when Mercer is back.....Mercer at SS, Kang at third? Harrison is too good to sit but too short for first base. How about Polanco to first, Harrison in RF? Is Mercer out as a starter?

And who gets sent down or released? Floriman and Hart seem to most likely. Rameras hasn't done much but he will be kept. Same with Morse. Maybe a trade to be made?

There is going to be some serious juggling when all are healthy The one thing for sure is that the bench will be stronger with better pinch hitting.

I like Kang as a SS much better than Harrison. So I hope Harrison goes back to 3rd if he comes off the DL first. But Kang is one of the 3 best bats in the lineup and needs to play every day, so if Mercer comes back and is put at SS then Kang bumps Harrison from 3rd. I like a healthy Harrison, but the Bucco's don't have the luxury of letting him get back in the grove by pushing a currently performing player to the bench.

So when both are back I'm not sure the Mercer's defense is enough to push Kang from SS. I'd let Mercer and Harrison try and get their bats going and fight for playing time, while Kang plays every day. Some may think Harrison could get some PT in RF, but Polonco is starting to hit and I'd leave him along in RF for the most part. Harrison will have to get some of his at bats as a pinch hitter, and Mercer may only play as a late game defensive replacement.

I'm thinking Hart get released. Who else????

Reactions: fairgambit
No way Clint can take Kang out of the lineup and he is a much better at third than shortstop. I would move Kang to third, put Mercer back at short, let JayHay go back to being the JayHay from last year, and sit Ramirez. I would DFA Ishikawa and Florimon. Rodriquez is too valuable in that he can play anywhere well, plus he is a "gamer." Having said all that I don't think you start either Harrison or Mercer from day one. I think he should work them in gradually.

Hart's on the DL and probably won't come off. Florimen will get DFA'd. Once Sept 1st rolls around it's a moot point since rosters will expand anyhow.

I'd guess that Harrison comes back in August sometime, Florimen goes, and they wait until Sept 1 to add Mercer. Then they have a whole month to figure out the playoff roster.

I wish Harrison could play 1st.

Harrison back (assuming he comes back first, which appears to be likely):

- Harrison to third, Kang stays at SS, Ramirez becomes a "bench bat/PH". On occasion, when they want to give Walker or any of the outfielders a day off, Ramirez will slot into 3B and Harrison will move to 2B or the OF.

- One of the 1B will be DFA (Morse or Ishi) or they will find a way to put one on the 15 day DL, so they can re-activate them when the rosters expand.

Once Mercer comes back:

- Harrison remains at 3B, Mercer comes in and takes most of the starts at SS.
Kang will get a couple days at SS, couple days at 3B (moving Harrison to 2B or the OF).....Kang will continue to get 4 ABs 5-6-7 days per week, so long as he continues to hit anywhere like he is now. They can utilize Harrison's versatility to give guys days of for rest or when they have a bad pitching matchup.

- Florimon gets DFA/DL (assuming this all happens before the rosters expand)

Harrison back (assuming he comes back first, which appears to be likely):

- Harrison to third, Kang stays at SS, Ramirez becomes a "bench bat/PH". On occasion, when they want to give Walker or any of the outfielders a day off, Ramirez will slot into 3B and Harrison will move to 2B or the OF.

- One of the 1B will be DFA (Morse or Ishi) or they will find a way to put one on the 15 day DL, so they can re-activate them when the rosters expand.

Once Mercer comes back:

- Harrison remains at 3B, Mercer comes in and takes most of the starts at SS.
Kang will get a couple days at SS, couple days at 3B (moving Harrison to 2B or the OF).....Kang will continue to get 4 ABs 5-6-7 days per week, so long as he continues to hit anywhere like he is now. They can utilize Harrison's versatility to give guys days of for rest or when they have a bad pitching matchup.

- Florimon gets DFA/DL (assuming this all happens before the rosters expand)

As long as Kang continues to hit and continues to field well, he is going to play EVERY day.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT