ADVERTISEMENT

Somewhat OT, but with all the "heavy" news lately....a little OT ain't bad

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
Happened upon the following story linked to OnwardState's story on the latest Barron Fiasco

On Female "Sports Personalities"

Since, it is (somewhat) sports and PSU related...her it is:

https://onwardstate.com/2014/04/14/state-college-native-melanie-collins-making-a-splash-in-sports/

Now, a lot of sports fans have either positive or negative thoughts on the proliferation of female "sports hosts"
Personally, I like some of the female hosts/broadcasters as much or more than many of the male "ex-jock" types......so long as they offer something that shows at least a basic insight of the sport they are covering. I'd take Holly Rowe - even Beth Mowins - over Matt Millen or Jesse Palmer 7 days a week. And good lord, the announcers for ESPN's nightly baseball broadcasts? I'd rather listen to a couple of 14 year old girls discuss fingernail polish.

But, so many of them offer nothing but "cheesecake"...and, to make it worse, many are unabashed about using that "cheesecake" factor to get ahead. This does nothing but hurt the chances for legitimate female sports media folks to be taken seriously.

This one (who happens to be a "local") - in particular - seems to revel in portraying herself as nothing more than a "stripper who can enunciate". WTF is it with these women. Does Todd Blackledge go around posing in speedos on the side? Do Kirk Herbstreit and Andre Ware pimp themselves out to Cosmo? If they did, wouldn't it detract from their attempts to be taken as "serious" journalists?

Anyway.....kinda' pathetic....and kinda' illustrative of how low the bar for "sports journalism" has dropped.

Happened upon the following story linked to OnwardState's story on the latest Barron Fiasco

https://onwardstate.com/2014/04/14/state-college-native-melanie-collins-making-a-splash-in-sports/

Now, a lot of sports fans have either positive or negative thoughts on the proliferation of female "sports hosts"
Personally, I like some of the female hosts/broadcasters as much or more than many of the male "ex-jock" types......so long as they offer something that shows at least a basic insight of the sport they are covering. I'd take Holly Rowe - even Beth Mowins - over Matt Millen or Jesse Palmer 7 days a week. And good lord, the announcers for ESPN's nightly baseball broadcasts? I'd rather listen to a couple of 14 year old girls discuss fingernail polish.

But, so many of them offer nothing but "cheesecake"...and, to make it worse, many are unabashed about using that "cheesecake" factor to get ahead. This does nothing but hurt the chances for legitimate female sports media folks to be taken seriously.

This one (who happens to be a "local") - in particular - seems to revel in portraying herself as nothing more than a "stripper who can enunciate". WTF is it with these women. Does Todd Blackledge go around posing in speedos on the side? Do Kirk Herbstreit and Andre Ware pimp themselves out to Cosmo? If they did, wouldn't it detract from their attempts to be taken as "serious" journalists?

Anyway.....kinda' pathetic....and kinda' illustrative of how low the bar for "sports journalism" has dropped.

I gotta say, Barry, that the premise here is that there is such a thing as a "serious sports journalist," and that these women are lowering the bar by being empty headed bimbos. That premise has way less intellectual rigor than anything I ever heard Erin Andrews say.

Serious sports journalists? Todd Blackledge? Kirk Herbstreit? TB is a nice guy, for that matter so is Herbie, but....no. Dale Van Atta is a serious journalist who covers sports. So is Ivan Maisel. These other guys? Not.

Herbstreit is selling sex every bit as much as any woman. It is just that men go about it differently. Sexually attractive in a man is: nice body, completely covered up in a suit, nice hair and...here's the big one....NOT ANGRY. In a woman its: nice body, revealing clothes, suggesting that if the wind blows or she slips trips and falls you are going to get a free show, and deferential to men, including to the point of seeming to be uninformed.

The difference between Dale Van Atta and Kirk Herbstreit is equal to the difference between DVA and Erin Andrews. Erin Andrews has more career mobility because a beautiful woman can sometimes be famous just for being beautiful. After all, it is powerful MEN she must impress, and sometimes you can do that on other metrics than just skill. Very few of those powerful men are going to think the same way about Herbie.

Well, she is certainly trading on looks. However, I think that in this instance she is trying to portray success. The ring on the finger, the nice dress, the nice handbag, the nice hairdo.....all those are aimed at showing success.....that she is WINNING.

I gotta say, Barry, that the premise here is that there is such a thing as a "serious sports journalist," and that these women are lowering the bar by being empty headed bimbos. That premise has way less intellectual rigor than anything I ever heard Erin Andrews say.

Serious sports journalists? Todd Blackledge? Kirk Herbstreit? TB is a nice guy, for that matter so is Herbie, but....no. Dale Van Atta is a serious journalist who covers sports. So is Ivan Maisel. These other guys? Not.

Herbstreit is selling sex every bit as much as any woman. It is just that men go about it differently. Sexually attractive in a man is: nice body, completely covered up in a suit, nice hair and...here's the big one....NOT ANGRY. In a woman its: nice body, revealing clothes, suggesting that if the wind blows or she slips trips and falls you are going to get a free show, and deferential to men, including to the point of seeming to be uninformed.

The difference between Dale Van Atta and Kirk Herbstreit is equal to the difference between DVA and Erin Andrews. Erin Andrews has more career mobility because a beautiful woman can sometimes be famous just for being beautiful. After all, it is powerful MEN she must impress, and sometimes you can do that on other metrics than just skill. Very few of those powerful men are going to think the same way about Herbie.

Damn it Demlion!!!!! Quite interrupting my late night vent/rant with logic and reason.

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR LOGIC AND REASON IN A POST ABOUT SCANTILLY CLAD WOMEN........especially scantily clad women posing in "pseudo-lesbian" sexually provocative poses with one another.

Now you ruined it!

Damn it Demlion!!!!! Quite interrupting my late night vent/rant with logic and reason.

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR LOGIC AND REASON IN A POST ABOUT SCANTILLY CLAD WOMEN........especially scantily clad women posing in "pseudo-lesbian" sexually provocative poses with one another.

Now you ruined it!

Wait, what did I miss?!? I only saw the one pic.

Well, she is certainly trading on looks. However, I think that in this instance she is trying to portray success. The ring on the finger, the nice dress, the nice handbag, the nice hairdo.....all those are aimed at showing success.....that she is WINNING.

That's pretty obvious. From the looks of the picture, it was taken from her family porch. I doubt that she was trying to portray a stripper while home visiting mom and step-dad.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Well, actually, I guess that is subjective enough.....
That's pretty obvious. From the looks of the picture, it was taken from her family porch. I doubt that she was trying to portray a stripper while home visiting mom and step-dad.
Well, that may be subjective. But my comment was more on her "portfolio".....40 pics of her shoving her Hoo-Haa into the camera while wearing a bikini, and a half dozen shots of "pseudo-lesbian erotica" with other "personalities". No big deal in any event, but just to clarify.

Well, that may be subjective. But my comment was more on her "portfolio".....40 pics of her shoving her Hoo-Haa into the camera while wearing a bikini, and a half dozen shots of "pseudo-lesbian erotica" with other "personalities". No big deal in any event, but just to clarify.

I feel a flag is in order since there is no link to said portfolio.

Now you ruined it!
HAHAHA! Sorry, man. Given the choice between an empty headed male bimbo like Herbie babbling inane platitudes about Football and a leggy blonde doing the same thing, I am going with the leggy blonde with the sound down.:)

At least you put "portfolio" in quotes. The bikini pics were taken almost a decade ago (in 2007) when she was part of a college calendar competition representing Penn State in a Big Ten vs Pac Ten like format. The "psuedo-lesbian erotica" pics were lifted from her Facebook account and were simply candids of a bunch of college kids having fun. They have zero to do with her skills as a broadcaster and certainly aren't part of her personal professional portfolio.

ADVERTISEMENT