ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective

Pennoyer

Jul 24, 2001
I have avoided this board since the game because, among other things, I didn't want to see the lunacy that would be spewed.

Think about this for a minute: if Amani doesn't drop the pick thrown right in his hands, we win, we're 5th in the country. and people are making plans to run the table and cheer against ND and Clemson. Instead, he drops an easy pick, we lose, we're 18th, and people are throwing themselves off buildings.

All those differing thoughts over one easy interception that was dropped by the guy who has made incredible picks for 3 years. One dropped pass. One single play is the difference between 5 and 18. CFB Playoffs and some non-descript bowl in Detroit according to some.

Everyone needs to get a grip. We got upset. Period. We aren't the fifth best team in the country but we sure aren't #18. We are a really good team that is probably at the lower end of the top 10. We have a chance to win out and have another 10 win regular season. Add a bowl game and it could be 11. That would be 3 years in a row with at least 10 wins. Last time we did that was 1980-82. But realistically this might be a 9-3 team with this brutal schedule. Add a bowl game and you have yet another 10 win season.

Have we so lost touch with reality that we are actually taking the gas pipe over an upset loss after completely outplaying the #2 team in the country? Upsets happen. Iowa killed OSU last year. Syracuse/Pitt beat Clemson. It's college football in 2018.

Is there reason for concern? Maybe. But let's allow the team to actually play the season and see if they bounce back. 10-2, 9-3 - those are fantastic results with this team and this schedule.

I have avoided this board since the game because, among other things, I didn't want to see the lunacy that would be spewed.

Think about this for a minute: if Amani doesn't drop the pick thrown right in his hands, we win, we're 5th in the country. and people are making plans to run the table and cheer against ND and Clemson. Instead, he drops an easy pick, we lose, we're 18th, and people are throwing themselves off buildings.

All those differing thoughts over one easy interception that was dropped by the guy who has made incredible picks for 3 years. One dropped pass. One single play is the difference between 5 and 18. CFB Playoffs and some non-descript bowl in Detroit according to some.

Everyone needs to get a grip. We got upset. Period. We aren't the fifth best team in the country but we sure aren't #18. We are a really good team that is probably at the lower end of the top 10. We have a chance to win out and have another 10 win regular season. Add a bowl game and it could be 11. That would be 3 years in a row with at least 10 wins. Last time we did that was 1980-82. But realistically this might be a 9-3 team with this brutal schedule. Add a bowl game and you have yet another 10 win season.

Have we so lost touch with reality that we are actually taking the gas pipe over an upset loss after completely outplaying the #2 team in the country? Upsets happen. Iowa killed OSU last year. Syracuse/Pitt beat Clemson. It's college football in 2018.

Is there reason for concern? Maybe. But let's allow the team to actually play the season and see if they bounce back. 10-2, 9-3 - those are fantastic results with this team and this schedule.

good post!

Well, pretty good post, but the fact remains that 5 winnable games -- the difference between a very good program and an elite program -- were 4th quarter meltdowns. Add Appalachian State and that's a real and very horrifying pattern over the past two seasons.

Well, pretty good post, but the fact remains that 5 winnable games -- the difference between a very good program and an elite program -- were 4th quarter meltdowns. Add Appalachian State and that's a real and very horrifying pattern over the past two seasons.
Wow. Thanks for that nugget. So if PSU didn’t lose games they would be elite. Or is it they lost them late instead of being blown out like most elite teams do. Pitt beating Clemson didn’t count? tOSU losing or getting killed by Iowa clearly a better loss.

I didn’t realize you were calling for this team to be elite so quickly.

Some just see their opportunity right now to kick a program that is clearly a rising threat for the foreseeable future. I get it.

Some apparently would rather not be in every game if you are going to be human and lose a couple. Doesn't make much sense.

And some are just horrible souls who would complain if we were undefeated and only won by a TD against some teams.

The bottom line is that rational people see our schedule, losing 9 defensive starters and some elite playmakers on offense, some bad luck on injuries and retirements on the Dline, and think this is about what we should have expected so far in 2018.

Some of those people also see all but 5 players who play meaningful snaps returning in 2019, another top recruiting class to go with our outstanding true freshmen class and believe the future is incredibly bright.

Those who seem to want to jump ship should go ahead and do it. The rest of us can be there when we are on top which won't be long.

Some just see their opportunity right now to kick a program that is clearly a rising threat for the foreseeable future. I get it.

Some apparently would rather not be in every game if you are going to be human and lose a couple. Doesn't make much sense.

And some are just horrible souls who would complain if we were undefeated and only won by a TD against some teams.

The bottom line is that rational people see our schedule, losing 9 defensive starters and some elite playmakers on offense, some bad luck on injuries and retirements on the Dline, and think this is about what we should have expected so far in 2018.

Some of those people also see all but 5 players who play meaningful snaps returning in 2019, another top recruiting class to go with our outstanding true freshmen class and believe the future is incredibly bright.

Those who seem to want to jump ship should go ahead and do it. The rest of us can be there when we are on top which won't be long.
I believe you are saying some folks are not happy until they are unhappy.

Wow. Thanks for that nugget. So if PSU didn’t lose games they would be elite. Or is it they lost them late instead of being blown out like most elite teams do. Pitt beating Clemson didn’t count? tOSU losing or getting killed by Iowa clearly a better loss.

Brian "Heisman" Lewerke shreds the Penn State defense twice in the 4th quarter, last year and this year. App State rings up 28 points in the 4th quarter. We're supposed to accept this pattern and not question coaching, preparation, conditioning...?

No doubt something is amiss when it comes to fourth quarters, and I disagree with the OP, on this being a borderline top10 team.

Brian "Heisman" Lewerke shreds the Penn State defense twice in the 4th quarter, last year and this year. App State rings up 28 points in the 4th quarter. We're supposed to accept this pattern and not question coaching, preparation, conditioning...?

Yes.

I agree with much of what you said but, in fairness, if AppSt makes one more play, we are 3-3 and not in the top 25. One single play works both ways.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

It's perfectly reasonable to raise those issues; they are very legitimate. Some of us would simply prefer that you not take the opportunity to do so in every thread.

LOL, let me know who your questioning and how it goes for you. Funny thing is people like you only climb out after a loss. Sure things went wrong, but thankfully you’re really going to fix it for everyone.

Honest question. Do you really think you’re more critical of the staff than they are? Do you really break down the game? What analytics tool are you using? I just wonder to what level of delusion some of this board has. I know it’s mostly hyperbole whining, but it’s pretty silly at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightOnState
LOL, let me know who your questioning and how it goes for you. Funny thing is people like you only climb out after a loss. Sure things went wrong, but thankfully you’re really going to fix it for everyone.

Honest question. Do you really think you’re more critical of the staff than they are? Do you really break down the game? What analytics tool are you using? I just wonder to what level of delusion some of this board has. I know it’s mostly hyperbole whining, but it’s pretty silly at times.

So no one can be critical of anything here? Got it. Would be a really lively place with all the chatter around how perfect everything is.

Reactions: grinagrin

So Bruce is saying penn State should not have lost a game in 2.5 years

I agree with Pennoyer and also focus on the word perspective. Yes, had we lost to App State we would be 3-3. But that's the nature of college football - with the exception of AL, OSU and Clem there is a fine line between 6-0 and 4-2. Michigan pulled out a game against NW, much like our game vs. App St, or they would be 4-2. Instead they are 5-1 and on this board many posters see them a potential Big 10 champ.
During the game on Sat as I watched our defense I saw we were playing Matos, Hansard, Mustipher, Brooks, Luketa, Parsons, Sutherland, Wade, Castro-Fields and Johnson. That's 10 players on defense who are 1st or 2nd year guys. Seven of those 10 have FR eligibility. This is what we need to recognize; PSU's best talent is in the FR and SO classes. It may be frustrating to point to next year, but that is when we can be very good on defense.

So no one can be critical of anything here? Got it. Would be a really lively place with all the chatter around how perfect everything is.

Yeah that is exactly what I said. I asked for him to break it down. Do you honestly think you are more critical than the staff is on itself or the players are following a loss? Do you enter all of the plays in a database to be broken down and set trends on? How many hours are you spending on film or looking at PSU's own tendancies...self scouting. Be honest, do you really feel you are more critical then they are. You aren't some victim for being critical so you can quit your little whine b*tch act already with me. Be critical, but at least be right when doing it. I can be critical after a win or loss and realize that there is no perfect game, player, or coach.

I asked you yesterday to name this mystery coach you know about the never lost a game late....you couldn't answer. I know why because EVERY coach does and every coach has lost late games. The good teams and good games often are decided late....so this idea that they lost game late only is a bit of a joke. If PSU didn't throw picks on 2 of the first 3 drives in the Rose Bowl....maybe it doesn't come down to a close game in the end. Asking for levity and fair criticism isn't some crime. When people spout out crap and they get challenged by it, they tend to play victims or lash out saying crap like you are.

Name the coach you are thinking of that has never lost a game late. There isn't one in the Big Ten. Saban has lost games late. Dabo lost to Pitt at home and won the MNC that year....so your fantasies of the perfect coaches don't match reality. Saban has called out his dumb fans be overreacting after every bump in the road, he must hate winning I guess or isn't critical enough of his own team. Fans are not rational all of the time and you either can see that Franklin is a good coach doing good things or you don't. Nobody is perfect and he'll make mistakes, but again.....there isn't a perfect coach walking on this planet.

You're a butt hurt fan over the loss and I get it, but since you said you don't want a change and have faith in the staff....I have no GD clue as to what you are still whinging about. Seriously...they lost and it stung....oh well....your life will go on. The I'm the most critical fan on the planet act has been done before you and by posters way better at it.

Last edited:

But neither team lost back to back games and those losses are outliers for the most part. Clemson won the NC the year they lost to Pitt. We all get what you’re saying, but we’re not Clemson or OSU yet. I do think if we don’t lose those games we are elite, because we’re in the CFP otherwise.

Yeah that is exactly what I said. I asked for him to break it down. Do you honestly think you are more critical than the staff is on itself or the players are following a loss? Do you enter all of the plays in a database to be broken down and set trends on? How many hours are you spending on film or looking at PSU's own tendancies...self scouting. Be honest, do you really feel you are more critical then they are. You aren't some victim for being critical so you can quit your little whine b*tch act already with me. Be critical, but at least be right when doing it. I can be critical after a win or loss and realize that there is no perfect game, player, or coach.

I asked you yesterday to name this mystery coach you know about the never lost a game late....you couldn't answer. I know why because EVERY coach does and every coach has lost late games. The good teams and good games often are decided late....so this idea that they lost game late only is a bit of a joke. If PSU didn't throw picks on 2 of the first 3 drives in the Rose Bowl....maybe it doesn't come down to a close game in the end. Asking for levity and fair criticism isn't some crime. When people spout out crap and they get challenged by it, they tend to play victims or lash out saying crap like you are.

Name the coach you are thinking of that has never lost a game late. There isn't one in the Big Ten. Saban has lost games late. Dabo lost to Pitt at home and won the MNC that year....so your fantasies of the perfect coaches don't match reality. Saban has called out his dumb fans be overreacting after every bump in the road, he must hate winning I guess or isn't critical enough of his own team. Fans are not rational all of the time and you either can see that Franklin is a good coach doing good things or you don't. Nobody is perfect and he'll make mistakes, but again.....there isn't a perfect coach walking on this planet.

You're a butt hurt fan over the loss and I get it, but since you said you don't want a change and have faith in the staff....I have no GD clue as to what you are still whinging about. Seriously...they lost and it stung....oh well....your life will go on. The I'm the most critical fan on the planet act has been done before you and by posters way better at it.

Okay, didn’t read this before posting my other response....(ducking for cover)....

It’s what you implied. You said you can’t possibly be critical if you don’t do x, y and z. If you don’t do x y and z dont speak. Who the hell are you to qualify what someone needs to do in order to discuss football? They aren’t giving out medical or legal advice. No one here is giving out stock tips.

I do hope you’ve never complained or been critical of anything you couldnt have a direct impact on in your life (bad movies, bad meals, books that you didn’t like the ending of, crappy cars you’ve owned etc) because you’re not a director, professional chef, author, automotive engineer and couldn’t be qualified to make observations on any of those things. At the end of the day lighten up, it’s entertainment. People still critique movies that are decades old that they had no hand in producing. The dialogue in Star Wars movies is weak. Can I make that observation even though I’m not George Lucas?

I don’t think I’m the most critical fan, I don’t even think I’m that critical of the team. I’ve basically said they blew it, all three phases came up short this time, it’s become a trend the last several years and I hope franklin fixes it. Sorry you have such a visceral reaction. I’m more critical of the people here who would be happy with 6-6 as long as everyone has fun and we beat Michigan. Which isn’t any different than you being critical of critical fans except you’re more unhinged about it (see diatribe I’ve quoted in this post as evidence).

I missed the post about naming a coach that never loses and obviously there is none that never loses. I’m not sure there is one who has lost as many in almost identical fashion across multiple seasons but I don’t know maybe there is. I’ve said multiple times that I like Franklin and I hope he is here awhile. I don’t think he’s perfect and I think he has some things to work on. If you don’t think we’re allowed to discuss that here because none of us advises James Franklin then the issue is you. I think you need to get the stick out of your ass.

Last edited:
It’s what you implied. You said you can’t possibly be critical if you don’t do x, y and z. If you don’t do x y and z dont speak. Who the hell are you to qualify what someone needs to do in order to discuss football? They aren’t giving out medical or legal advice. No one here is giving out stock tips.

I do hope you’ve never complained or been critical of anything you couldnt have a direct impact on in your life (bad movies, bad meals, books that you didn’t like the ending of, crappy cars you’ve owned etc) because you’re not a director, professional chef, author, automotive engineer and couldn’t be qualified to make observations on any of those things. At the end of the day lighten up, it’s entertainment. People still critique movies that are decades old that they had no hand in producing. The dialogue in Star Wars movies is weak. Can I make that observation even though I’m not George Lucas?

I don’t think I’m the most critical fan, I don’t even think I’m that critical of the team. I’ve basically said they blew it, all three phases came up short this time, it’s become a trend the last several years and I hope franklin fixes it. Sorry you have such a visceral reaction. I’m more critical of the people here who would be happy with 6-6 as long as everyone has fun and we beat Michigan. Which isn’t any different than you being critical of critical fans except you’re more unhinged about it (see diatribe I’ve quoted in this post as evidence).

I missed the post about naming a coach that never loses and obviously there is none that never loses. I’m not sure there is one who has lost as many in almost identical fashion across multiple seasons but I don’t know maybe there is. I’ve said multiple times that I like Franklin and I hope he is here awhile. I don’t think he’s perfect and I think he has some things to work on. If you don’t think we’re allowed to discuss that here because none of us advises James Franklin then the issue is you. I think you need to get the stick out of your ass.
PSU isn’t 6-6 and name one single poster who said they would be content with that. You cannot simply make things up like that. PSU isn't 6-6 and has a great young energetic HC. Sorry you're bent over me not melting down with you, but I'm not. They lost a game they should not have, it does happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightOnState

You're right of course. I sincerely wish I had the discipline to stay off the board after a loss, but it's like "a moth to a flame" ☺. I wonder what the team is hearing from students as they go through the week? Supportive or critical? Franklin was subdued in his PC yesterday after being lambasted in the media universe over the weekend. I saw Mark Brennan's article where he commented on the lack of class of a fan who shouted "Franklin you suck!" as he headed into the tunnel. Beyond standard criticism he's getting a good picture of how some folks love to kick you when you're down. Hopefully, he learns and grows from it. I wonder if he longs for Vanderbilt where there was more fan grace about his work. I know different programs and expectations.

Reactions: 81b&w
Kinda think the topic of the thread needs to be changed to the ‘All is (almost) well’ thread.

PSU isn’t 6-6 and name one single poster who said they would be content with that. You cannot simply make things up like that. PSU isn't 6-6 and has a great young energetic HC. Sorry you're bent over me not melting down with you, but I'm not. They lost a game they should not have, it does happen.
This thread began with the OP making things up (or using hyperbole) such as "people are throwing themselves off buildings" and "we are actually taking the gas pipe over an upset loss." This is total BS for 99% of the people posting on this board, and for 100% of the people posting on this thread. You yourself created the straw man of the "mystery coach . . . that has NEVER lost a game late" and accused another poster of having "fantasies of the perfect coaches" that "don't match reality." Show us where anyone said or even implied either of those things . . .

The crux of most of the recent criticism of the staff/team is that the last 5-6 losses have followed a very similar pattern -- all of them included 4th quarter leads (some double-digit) in which the defense gave up scoring drives in the 4th quarter (often lengthy and sometimes multiple), and most if not all included the offense's inability to close out the game by running some clock and/or getting a first down. It is the accumulated losses and the repeating pattern that is receiving most of the criticism. It is completely misleading and intellectually dishonest to act as if the "whining" is about a "single upset" loss to MSU. It is also bogus to pretend that questioning or criticism cannot be fodder for discussion on a . . . FOOTBALL DISCUSSION BOARD, and is invalid unless directed to one-on-one conversations with the coaching staff.

This thread and many of the posts in it belong in the "I'm a better fan than you" category that are completely tiresome.

Carry on.

I'm feeling a bad finish to this season

Losses to Iowa, Michigan, Maryland

7-5

Sorry it was 7-5. “And what this year’s Penn State football team needs is a signature victory. In looking at the remainder of the schedule we could lose two, possibly three more games and still salvage the season by beating Michigan in Ann Arbor. I know, I know. Given the way they’re playing versus the way we’re playing the likelihood is slim. I put the odds at 20%. But this is college football, and in college football you can expect the unexpected.” Funny that’s what you got hung up on.

Can you post the checklist of what someone needs to do say something that isn’t positive once more? I’m not bent out of shape at all, Still waiting for you to challenge my critique of Star Wars though.

What you want is a board where conversations go like this:

Poster 1: Team looks pretty good.
Poster 2: Yup.
Poster 3: Real good.
Poster 4: “Poster 1: Team looks pretty good.” Preach.
Poster 5: I like football. Our QB is pretty good.

Reactions: grinagrin
It is never just one play. A missed layup with 3 seconds left is worth the same number of points as the missed layup in the first quarter. People only remember the one at the end of the game. There were dozens of plays not made that would have had a huge impact but are not mentioned. The only fact that matters is the loss. PSU was clearly the better football team but did not play like it. That is concerning any time it happens. My main concern is the repeated pattern of getting too conservative on offense when the game is tight.

I agree with much of what you said but, in fairness, if AppSt makes one more play, we are 3-3 and not in the top 25. One single play works both ways.

But App State had already made half a dozen amazing plays just to be in it. Penn State had a plethora of opportunities to beat MSU but just couldn't close the deal.

But App State had already made half a dozen amazing plays just to be in it. Penn State had a plethora of opportunities to beat MSU but just couldn't close the deal.

True, but App St was still only one play away from winning in regulation. All I am saying is there is a tendency on this board, and others, to magnify issues relating to the home team and minimize them for the opponents. They were as close to beating us as we were to beating MSU, perhaps closer since they took us to overtime.

Bruce, go away! Obviously, you are not a PSU fan! You're a frickin' troll who only wants to badmouth this team, coach, and program every chance you can get! GTFO!!!!

True, but App St was still only one play away from winning in regulation. All I am saying is there is a tendency on this board, and others, to magnify issues relating to the home team and minimize them for the opponents. They were as close to beating us as we were to beating MSU, perhaps closer since they took us to overtime.

Closer since all they had to do was not score a touchdown and they probably win in regulation on the field goal. Same with Iowa last year.

ADVERTISEMENT