ADVERTISEMENT

Some off season chatter

You don't have to go with freshmen. Schnupp returns as a junior I believe, and George Carpenter I think will be a senior? You can put a junior and a senior on the mat instead of two true freshmen if you like. Bo Pipher will be a sophomore so you could go with him at 149 also. Would you prefer this?

I hear ya. However, if there was ever a time to have three high quality true freshmen in the lineup, it would be next year with 7 returning AA's and three current 2-time champs..

Yeah, those recruits are blue chip recruits, but it still worries me if we are starting 3 TRFR. But I agree that if we had to start three TRFR then having the returning guys we do have would mitigate some of that, but I'd still be worried.

Cael knows what is best, though. So if that does happen I'm behind it 100%. I can't argue with the success Cael has had.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
You don't have to go with freshmen. Schnupp returns as a junior I believe, and George Carpenter I think will be a senior? You can put a junior and a senior on the mat instead of two true freshmen if you like. Bo Pipher will be a sophomore so you could go with him at 149 also. Would you prefer this?
not so dopey my friend

How do you figure that NoVa?

125: frosh
133: frosh
141: Lee
149: frosh
157:nolf
165:Joseph
175: Hall
184: Nickal
197:Rasheed
Heavy: Nevills

I guess 149 may not be a true frosh, and I was counting that as one.

I guess I kind of combined yours and jrd's posts where jrd has 3 true frosh starting and 1 RS Frosh when I responded. The lineup you have there is exactly what I expect the lineup to be and it looks really strong to me.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

No, I'd rather have either Teske or Teasdale over Schnupp unless Schnupp can beat either of them and I wouldn't bet on that. The same goes with Carpenter. Great kids, but I doubt he can beat RBY or Teasdale. I also don't think Pipher can beat Berge or Verk.

I want the best options. I don't think there is any way we don't have two of those three TRFR lightweights in the lineup next year, though. And because of that I think we see Nick Lee back at 141lbs.

Unbelievably, some do!

I always find that strange. I'm all for having debates, but in the end whatever Cael chooses is always the best option. Even when he shirted Nolf, Nickal and Nevills along with Nico I think that was the right move even though it meant OSU won.

I can't find a decision where I think Cael blew it.

I guess I kind of combined yours and jrd's posts where jrd has 3 true frosh starting and 1 RS Frosh when I responded. The lineup you have there is exactly what I expect the lineup to be and it looks really strong to me.
I know it's April and at this time of year our lineup will always have 10 AA's in it, but I like it too. I think we end up with 8AA's again and 130-135 points.

I always find that strange. I'm all for having debates, but in the end whatever Cael chooses is always the best option. Even when he shirted Nolf, Nickal and Nevills along with Nico I think that was the right move even though it meant OSU won.

I can't find a decision where I think Cael blew it.
I agree.

You give people second chances, and it's on them to make the most of it.
You challenge guys to win the spot, and not be given it.
You allow the wrestler and his family input and even the decision on pulling the shirt.

It's all about communicating expectations to the guys in the room, and not changing the rules. In the end, I don't think Cael makes very many decisions as we would call them about who gets on the mat. I think his philosophy is that the wrestlers make the decision for him, and most of the time it resolves without him placing his hand on the scale so to speak. However, when it isn't clear cut (Rasheed/Cassar), he then makes an informed decision.

Since our 1st NC in 2011-12 we have sent 14 Fr (5 true FR, 9 RS-Fr) to the Big Ten Tourney. Of those, 12 qualified for the nationals, 8 made AA, 2 became NC.

What that means for next year, I don't know, but it does show that Fr have been an integral part of our dominance.

Since our 1st NC in 2011-12 we have sent 14 Fr (5 true FR, 9 RS-Fr) to the Big Ten Tourney. Of those, 12 qualified for the nationals, 8 made AA, 2 became NC.

What that means for next year, I don't know, but it does show that Fr have been an integral part of our dominance.
just a small correction and not counting 1953 for the nitpickers ...

2011 NCAA Championships

Penn State 107.5
Cornell 93.5
Iowa 86.5
Oklahoma State 70.5

That's good research and knowledge right there!!! Free the freshmen!!

top level kids come out of high school so much more prepared than they used to be. On average they seem to be about one year further ahead than guys just 15 years ago.

We lost a certain 3 time All American, who finished in 2nd place last year, to a shocking transfer, that was a complete and total anomaly: There is no program in the nation that could have possibly replaced that wrestler with an upper classman, sure fire All American. None. On top of that, we lost our 133 pounder to injury, as well as his decision to move up in weight. The fact that we netted 12 points last year, while losing a sophomore and a junior who were both figuring to be on the podium, while using a true freshman at 141, is a minor miracle. Those factors were bound to affect next seasons' team also.

So, we went out and got the #1 133 pound recruit in the nation, and supplemented him with the #3 and #6 ranked 125 pound recruits in the nation, for this season. The miracles that Cael pulled off to counter these two incredible strokes of bad luck, continue to amaze me. I have zero problem going with freshmen next season at 125 and 133. The others will bring in their transfers and guess what? The best wrestlers will go on the mat and they will win, regardless of underclassman or upperclassman status.

Ask Bryce Meredith and Nato about how much those 4 years of seniority mattered last season. Hell, ask IMar, or Bo Jordan.

No, I'd rather have either Teske or Teasdale over Schnupp unless Schnupp can beat either of them and I wouldn't bet on that. The same goes with Carpenter. Great kids, but I doubt he can beat RBY or Teasdale. I also don't think Pipher can beat Berge or Verk.

I want the best options. I don't think there is any way we don't have two of those three TRFR lightweights in the lineup next year, though. And because of that I think we see Nick Lee back at 141lbs.

I'd like to believe the reason we see Nick Lee back at 141 lbs next season, will be because he is going to win the national championship. Yep, I like that reason best.

I'm sure I don't have the numbers exact but I came out with even higher numbers. From 2011-2018 we sent 22 true or RS frosh to BIGs and 10 ended up being AA.

2011 DT 2nd & Ruth 3rd
2012 Nico 2nd & Dylan Alton 3rd
2014 Zain 5th
2016 Nolf & Nickal 2nd
2017 Cenzo & Hall 1st
2018 Lee 5th

Other NCAA qualifiers that DNP as frosh
2011 Andrew Alton
2012 Martelotti, McIntosh
2014 Gulibon
2015 Cutch
2017 Suriano

Lemon Pie has me excited and not the poster, but actual Lemon Pie. I love Lemon meringue Pie...having a slice for lunch! Me and Cassar, who is going to probably eat a couple Lemon Pies.

Why did you run over to Hawkeye Report to start a thread about these PSU rumors ??

1. Most of them hate us & don’t care.
2. Acting like that makes us BWI look like a bunch of schmucks.
3. See 1 above.

Don’t do that.

just a small correction and not counting 1953 for the nitpickers ...

2011 NCAA Championships

Penn State 107.5
Cornell 93.5
Iowa 86.5
Oklahoma State 70.5

Yes thanks, I started 1 year late.

Should have read since Cael's 1st Championship in 2010-11.

I believe the numbers are these.

Of 20 Freshmen we've taken to the Big Tens, 16 qualified for the nationals, 10 were AAs, 2 NC

I didn't include Surriano, If so he would make 17 qualifiers and probably 11 AAs. I didn't want to speculate.

Yes thanks, I started 1 year late.

Should have read since Cael's 1st Championship in 2010-11.

I believe the numbers are these.

Of 20 Freshmen we've taken to the Big Tens, 16 qualified for the nationals, 10 were AAs, 2 NC

I didn't include Surriano, If so he would make 17 qualifiers and probably 11 AAs. I didn't want to speculate.

I considered saying he who must not be named instead of using Suriano's name. :D

I'm sure I don't have the numbers exact but I came out with even higher numbers. From 2011-2018 we sent 22 true or RS frosh to BIGs and 10 ended up being AA.

2011 DT 2nd & Ruth 3rd
2012 Nico 2nd & Dylan Alton 3rd
2014 Zain 5th
2016 Nolf & Nickal 2nd
2017 Cenzo & Hall 1st
2018 Lee 5th

Other NCAA qualifiers that DNP as frosh
2011 Andrew Alton
2012 Martelotti, McIntosh
2014 Gulibon
2015 Cutch
2017 Suriano

Yes, I missed Martelotti in 2012. I believe you skipped Conaway in 2013.

Great info guys!

So the upshot is that during the Cael era, we have averaged 2.5 freshmen on the team each year going into B1Gs. So possibly having three this year is really no big deal other than the fact that our young guns are all manning the lightweights and two may be true freshmen.

It is centered about process, not outcome, and trying to consistently take all the best information they can and consistently make good decisions. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but they re-evaluate them all.

... our young guns are all manning the lightweights and two may be true freshmen.
One of our lightweights next year is a young gun. Also got one at 157, 165, and (potentially now) 184. I just couldn't resist being a smartass.

ADVERTISEMENT