ADVERTISEMENT

Some off season chatter

Don't think so. I believe that was of his own volition, and reflects a refusal to cut weight anymore, not a decision to bulk up per se.
I think your history book is a little different than mine. Rasheed didn’t refuse. He simple couldn’t hit 165 and wrestle well. Once that occurred, he had no choice but to go 197, which had the easiest path to the lineup.

I think our program would get him bulked up to 230-235.

What does Raptor weigh out of season? It is not always as easy as it sounds to bulk up. The other thing to consider is how he would perform at the heavier weight. It is possible he loses his quickness & agility if his body does not adjust to weighing more than he should.

Reactions: mn78psu83
1%

Only because I’d like to think we all have some sorta chance...

350.png

The Bo to 84 rumor really wasn’t a rumor at all. Bo announced publicly in July of 2016 that he was going to 84. Flo then implied that they had a source (our BWI post) that Bo might move up and things just took off from there. That August, Cael confirmed it. Bo hasn’t said anything to anyone (publicly) about going to 97, so I’ll just believe it’s doubtful (until he does).
From what I’ve heard, Cassar to heavy is well underway.

Any chance Verk 149, Berge 157, Nolf 165, VJ 174, Hall 184 (or Hall shirt and Shak here), Bo 197, then NN/Raptor battle out for spot or more likely rollout whoever is healthy since both have been injury prone?

Any chance Verk 149, Berge 157, Nolf 165, VJ 174, Hall 184 (or Hall shirt and Shak here), Bo 197, then NN/Raptor battle out for spot or more likely rollout whoever is healthy since both have been injury prone?
Just guessing, but probably no.

This makes sense with one big caveat: a Bo to 197 decision either has been made or will be soon.

Would absolutely suck for Rasheed to spend the offseason bulking up to 197 and then in the fall try to cut it away.

Would be a re-do of Mouse 2 years ago.
The off-season has not been that long. Given the posts in this thread, sounds like Cassar is moving to heavy, which most likely means Bo is going 97 and Nevills had a significant injury which all means that Shak probably moves to 84 has to give up eating the entire roasted chicken.

Any anecdotal evidence of instances where we've bulked up a guy significantly and he's had success (particularly at HWY)?

Kerry McCoy but the move up was after his true frosh season and he was still 18 at the end of that season and so probably still growing. Cassar is already 4 years out of HS and wrestling 197 so a move to 285 would be a big leap. Plus, would he be the same wrestler at 225 pounds that he is at 197? Doubtful and I doubt very much he can beat a healthy Nevills. Also, I have no idea if Nevills had surgery or not, but even if he did why is everyone assuming that means he won't be able to wrestle next season?

Reactions: mn78psu83
Kerry McCoy but the move up was after his true frosh season and he was still 18 at the end of that season and so probably still growing. Cassar is already 4 years out of HS and wrestling 197 so a move to 285 would be a big leap. Plus, would he be the same wrestler at 225 pounds that he is at 197? Doubtful and I doubt very much he can beat a healthy Nevills. Also, I have no idea if Nevills had surgery or not, but even if he did why is everyone assuming that means he won't be able to wrestle next season?
McCoy's progression was natural. He could not have made that cut another year. Moving up enabled him to eat and lift again.

Interesting here that mouse is likely the primary source of info for OP, but that his getting a 6th year has been thoroughly discounted. His injury came at the Keystone open, right? Our was it the scuffle?

Didn't Cassar make the Jr World team at 96 kgs ... that was 3 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is working from a base of 215+.

The impact on team chemistry? Maybe like the impact on team chemistry Bo moving to 184 had?
Kids being told to cut to a weight they don't want to be at has a much more likely negative chemistry impact.

As far as team points, Bo still wins at 197 and probably racks up a ton of bonus. It also moves Moore and Warner down a peg on the podium.
Rasheed at 184 may not finish ahead of Valenica, but he does finish ahead of whoever Iowa runs out there. Also, while he probably finishes behind Martin, Rasheed IMO has enough talent to beat Martin.
If PSU has Rasheed at 184 and Bo at 197 Penn State loses no points, probably breaks even with Ohio State and gains on Iowa (assuming Warner is as advertised).

Warner's hype came early in the season after he won 2 opens ... Luther College Open and Lindenwood Open.

A Hawk fan came over here boasting that Warner would challenge to NC once his shirt was pulled. I don't think we heard anything more from that fan after Warner lost to Brunner, Brucki and Wilke at Midlands.

Wilke at 184 and Warner at 197 finish below Bo, Rasheed, AC or Mouse ... in whatever combination we choose IMO.

Warner's hype came early in the season after he won 2 opens ... Luther College Open and Lindenwood Open.

A Hawk fan came over here boasting that Warner would challenge to NC once his shirt was pulled. I don't think we heard anything more from that fan after Warner lost to Brunner, Brucki and Wilke at Midlands.

Wilke at 184 and Warner at 197 finish below Bo, Rasheed, AC or Mouse ... in whatever combination we choose IMO.
I would not want to dismiss the Warner kid simply because a drunken Hawk was babbling nonsense. He does have a strong and impressive resume' and this will be his second season (generally a year of tremendous improvement). The only question (and it is a significant question) is can Iowa develop and manifest his potential into talented results.

Didn't Cassar make the Jr World team at 96 kgs ... that was 3 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is working from a base of 215+.
There was some noise last year about whether or not Cassar could make 197. If he is currently committed to wrestling Heavyweight this coming season my guess is he can be a solid 225# - 230# heavyweight with a neutral attack that is vey nimble and athletic. Cassar at Heavyweight has me excited and not in a Lemon Pie way.

Reactions: Ski
125-Teske
133-Teasdale
141-RBY (N Lee redshirts and takes over 149 next year)
149-Berge/Verk
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Nickal
197-Cassar if Sheed leaves
HWT-Nevills
I don’t know what the experts know but this lineup seems plausible. It allows both Teasdale and RBY to wrestle up a few pounds from last year.

I doubt this is the lineup. Three TRFR and one RSFR? That's lot of totally unknown quantities at the first four weights.

There was some noise last year about whether or not Cassar could make 197. If he is currently committed to wrestling Heavyweight this coming season my guess is he can be a solid 225# - 230# heavyweight with a neutral attack that is vey nimble and athletic. Cassar at Heavyweight has me excited and not in a Lemon Pie way.
Lemon Pie has me excited and not the poster, but actual Lemon Pie. I love Lemon meringue Pie...having a slice for lunch! Me and Cassar, who is going to probably eat a couple Lemon Pies.

LemonPie never said WHICH Nevills Cassar can beat. Could be Nick, could be Seth, and hell it could even be AJ!

The off-season has not been that long. Given the posts in this thread, sounds like Cassar is moving to heavy, which most likely means Bo is going 97 and Nevills had a significant injury which all means that Shak probably moves to 84 has to give up eating the entire roasted chicken.

Any chance Snacks goes?

If I start seeing Iceland pics or tweets from Willie.....then I'll know this rumor has legs :)

PSU had three RSFR in 2015-16, and that turned out okay. Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills. It's about the quality and not the quantity.

I know, but those three were RSFR. They had a year in the room. We're talking three TRFR at the first three weights and another RSFR at the next. That's a big difference. When was the last time PSU had three TRFR all in the lineup?

I know, but those three were RSFR. They had a year in the room. We're talking three TRFR at the first three weights and another RSFR at the next. That's a big difference. When was the last time PSU had three TRFR all in the lineup?
I hear ya. However, if there was ever a time to have three high quality true freshmen in the lineup, it would be next year with 7 returning AA's and three current 2-time champs..

Reactions: PSU Yinzer and Ski
I hear ya. However, if there was ever a time to have three high quality true freshmen in the lineup, it would be next year with 7 returning AA's and three current 2-time champs..

I only see 6 returning AAs in that lineup. Not to mention according to many in this thread Cassar will be at 285 so that is only 5 returning AAs.

I only see 6 returning AAs in that lineup. Not to mention according to many in this thread Cassar will be at 285 so that is only 5 returning AAs.
Lee
Nolf
Joseph
Hall
Nickal
Rasheed
Nevills

I'm not referring to someone's idea of a lineup. I'm referring to how many AA's are actually returning.

As I read through this thread I have a few thoughts:

1. I panned the Bo to 184 talk two summers ago, so I'll trust the coaches and Bo know what they're doing this time around.
2. I will be bummed if injuries to Nick impact his senior season.
3. If AC is moving to heavy and Nick is healthy, then let the best man win.
4. If Bo to 97 is a reality, then I'll hope like heck that Rasheed makes the move to 84.
5. Would love to see a scenario that neither AC or Sheed leaves/transfers.
6. Sure would be nice to have a 220 weight class.
7. Agree with the earlier poster who mentioned the Bo move increases Zahid's odds of moving up. The Valencia Bros. can eat again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I'm not going to buy the idea that Zahid is avoiding anyone. Dude is legit great and wants to beat the best. Lil' bro Anthony has something going on, and calories may be just the thing he's missing, or not.

Lee
Nolf
Joseph
Hall
Nickal
Rasheed
Nevills

I'm not referring to someone's idea of a lineup. I'm referring to how many AA's are actually returning.

You can't have it both ways. With 3 true frosh in the lineup we would only have 6 returning AAs in the lineup.

I'm not going to buy the idea that Zahid is avoiding anyone. Dude is legit great and wants to beat the best.

Agree...I was thinking the exact same thing Nerf. I was thinking he'd probably love to have a go at Bo. But if Bo is moving, then the move up for Zahid seems to make a lot of sense for their team. I sure would love to see Bo v Zahid though.

The obvious solution is to have Nolf, VJ, Hall and Nickal all go up to 97 and wrestle off for the spot. Cael would have more depth at one weight than any team in history. It may just pay off in the end.

You can't have it both ways. With 3 true frosh in the lineup we would only have 6 returning AAs in the lineup.
How do you figure that NoVa?

125: frosh
133: frosh
141: Lee
149: frosh
157:nolf
165:Joseph
175: Hall
184: Nickal
197:Rasheed
Heavy: Nevills

I guess 149 may not be a true frosh, and I was counting that as one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT