ADVERTISEMENT

Some off season chatter

It always interests me about the contrast in philosophy at PSU vs Tanning Bed U: At Penn State a kid doesn't want to cut, so he doesn't cut: At Tanning Bed U, Your coach tells you to cut, you don't have a say in the matter, and you cut. Sort of like the old Yaacov Smirnov joke, "In America you can always find a party, in Russia, party finds YOU."
Tomasello, Pletcher, Hayes, both Jordans, Martin, and Snyder all wrestled at least 1 year up a weight. Campbell is widely believed to be moving up next year. Both Stiebers moved up in their careers. Heflin moved up 2 weights.

Cassar beats Nevills right now.

giphy.gif

Rasheed isn’t looking to go anywhere, don’t know where you got that info from but it’s false. As far as him cutting he’s barely over 190 as it is I’ve seen it for myself so if 184 was something he’d have to do I don’t see it as a problem

Last edited:
Tomasello, Pletcher, Hayes, both Jordans, Martin, and Snyder all wrestled at least 1 year up a weight. Campbell is widely believed to be moving up next year. Both Stiebers moved up in their careers. Heflin moved up 2 weights.
Hmmm. Ok, point taken.

Three questions for the pushers of the upwardly mobile Cassar panacea.
  1. Does he actually beat Nevills on a regular basis?
  2. Are his mat skills good enough to deal with bigger and stronger wrestlers day in, day out?
  3. Is his shoulder strong enough to deal with bigger and stronger wrestlers day in, day out?

Three questions for the pushers of the upwardly mobile Cassar panacea.
  1. Does he actually beat Nevills on a regular basis?
  2. Are his mat skills good enough to deal with bigger and stronger wrestlers day in, day out?
  3. Is his shoulder strong enough to deal with bigger and stronger wrestlers day in, day out?
You missed the obvious 4th question, Will Lemonpie still like Cassar’s shirtless pics if he is carrying an extra 30lbs?;)

Last edited:
Assuming Nevills is healthy (i.e., he fully recovers from any surgery), I don't understand any desire to replace him at HWT. Of this years 8 HWT AAs, five are gone next year; Stoll and Hemida return and Nevills has beaten both - so Nevills would have as good a shot as anyone to be a NC next year assuming Steveson sits for that year. If Steveson does wrestle, he would be the strong favorite to win it all regardless if PSU puts forth Nevills, Cassar or Rasheed at HWT. In addition, why fuss around with the solid succession plan Cael has in place at HWT with one more year of Nick followed by four years of Seth. Stick With Nick!!

I'm gonna go with YG's call here: He has been consistent. My question is, will Matt McCutcheon get his 6th year? Everybody else is getting them, so I say why not?

I'm gonna go with YG's call here: He has been consistent. My question is, will Matt McCutcheon get his 6th year? Everybody else is getting them, so I say why not?

As seen elsewhere, the NCAA hands out 6th years like they are a cop handing out speeding tickets at the end of the month when it looks like they aren't going to meet their quota.

YG has been pretty darn good with his knowledge, but I find it really hard to believe Matt is going to put off for a second year taking the next step in his life.
I can't see Rasheed struggling to get to 184 and if he does I can't see Matt beating him.

Those are the parts I am struggling to get my head wrapped around. Bo going to 197 is easy to picture, he is a really big kid. Bo will dominate 197. Cassar hits that double of his without going to his knees, I actually find it rather easy to visualize AC dominating Nick from the neutral position.

YG has been pretty darn good with his knowledge, but I find it really hard to believe Matt is going to put off for a second year taking the next step in his life.
I can't see Rasheed struggling to get to 184 and if he does I can't see Matt beating him.

Those are the parts I am struggling to get my head wrapped around. Bo going to 197 is easy to picture, he is a really big kid. Bo will dominate 197. Cassar hits that double of his without going to his knees, I actually find it rather easy to visualize AC dominating Nick from the neutral position.
Not to mention: most graduate schools will (grudgingly) allow 1 admissions deferral. He would likely have to reapply, and while he'd likely get accepted, that's just another hassle.

And he'd have to take more classes at PSU that might neither lead toward a degree nor be transferrable to his eventual graduate program.

Reactions: nitlion6

My senior year of high school I (at 167) wrestled every day against a kid who got 4th and 2nd the next two years in PIAA AAA heavyweight. That year I could beat him in all three positions pretty regularly. The next year when I came back from college (his 4th place year), I could still take him down pretty regularly but on the mat I had a really hard time hanging with him. The third year, I couldn't do that anymore but there was an 80 pound difference between us at that point. So I could see Cassar beating Nevills in the room.

Cassar needs to hit the weights hard and put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle throughout his body including legs....Nevills has trouble with really big strong guys who can wrestle well....Cassar has the skills....I am hearing Clutch is done and moving on in his life with academics guys...That should let you know something about the room too....

Who the heck doesn't? That is like saying - "he has trouble staying dry in a pouring rain"

Could you possibly tell us when these wrestling matches took place and what the scores were? It's not that we don't believe you......actually.......it IS that we don't believe you :)

I assume LP was speaking in hypothetical ...saying Anthony would beat him, not that Anthony has beaten him.

My question for L-Pie about the Anthony for Heavy is.. Didn't he have trouble from bottom against Hoffman earlier this year? Could moving up make this problem worse?

Reactions: D3wrestler
I have no trouble believing that Bo might want to move to 197, nor do i have trouble believing that Cassar may choose to move to 230 lbs. to compete as an smaller athletic 285 especially if Bo goes 197.

I do have trouble believing that Rasheed won't go 184 if he was weighing 192 when wrestling 197. Especially if the 184 spot is WIDE open.

Reactions: Lyons212
I do have trouble believing that Rasheed won't go 184 if he was weighing 192 when wrestling 197. Especially if the 184 spot is WIDE open.

Some guys develop such a severe aversion to cutting weight that they’d rather leave the sport than do that again. I get the sense Shak is one of those.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Man Notsofastmyfriend....you can’t make a post without it having something tOSU in it. Your infatuation is interesting.

Last edited:
My senior year of high school I (at 167) wrestled every day against a kid who got 4th and 2nd the next two years in PIAA AAA heavyweight. That year I could beat him in all three positions pretty regularly. The next year when I came back from college (his 4th place year), I could still take him down pretty regularly but on the mat I had a really hard time hanging with him. The third year, I couldn't do that anymore but there was an 80 pound difference between us at that point. So I could see Cassar beating Nevills in the room.
I dub thee, "Ashley Swift".

It all makes better sense if Nevills is hurt and out for an extended period. What was his injury? Do not recall anything being said or even rumored.

I think Bo at 197 although plausible has many more downside risks for the team in general, both points wise but more importantly in causing a cascading set of Domino's to drop interms of who else might go where, who's the of man out, the change in team chemistry, etc.... The top half of our lineup is awesome next year and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Cael is the master and will manage whatever the reality comes next fall, but with what I see today I give a thumbs down to these scenarios. Besides I would love to watch Bo vs Zahid for the national championship next year. If Z moves up its almost a given.

Last edited:
As I said, if he has had shoulder surgery inside 3 weeks after the season, it would make sense to roll with Cassar at HWT with Nickal/Rasheed at 184/197. Seth keeps his RS. A brutal sport and for the most part, the team has fared pretty well over the years.

I think Bo at 197 although plausible has many more downside risks for the team in general, both points wise but more importantly in causing a cascading set of Domino's to drop interms of who else might go where, who's the of man out, the change in team chemistry, etc.... The top half of our lineup is awesome next year and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Cael is the master and will manage whatever the reality come next fall, but with what I see today I give a thumbs down to these scenarios. Besides I would love to watch Bo vs Zahid for the national championship next year. If Z moves up its almost a given.
The impact on team chemistry? Maybe like the impact on team chemistry Bo moving to 184 had?
Kids being told to cut to a weight they don't want to be at has a much more likely negative chemistry impact.

As far as team points, Bo still wins at 197 and probably racks up a ton of bonus. It also moves Moore and Warner down a peg on the podium.
Rasheed at 184 may not finish ahead of Valenica, but he does finish ahead of whoever Iowa runs out there. Also, while he probably finishes behind Martin, Rasheed IMO has enough talent to beat Martin.
If PSU has Rasheed at 184 and Bo at 197 Penn State loses no points, probably breaks even with Ohio State and gains on Iowa (assuming Warner is as advertised).

I have no trouble believing that Bo might want to move to 197, nor do i have trouble believing that Cassar may choose to move to 230 lbs. to compete as an smaller athletic 285 especially if Bo goes 197.

Agree about Rasheed. He weighed in at 193 at Nationals in sweats and a cup of water eating whatever he wanted. Can't imagine getting to 184 would be very difficult especially given the options, cut some weight, sit, or transfer and leave your friends. Easy choice for Shak if Bo goes 197.

Agree about Rasheed. He weighed in at 193 at Nationals in sweats and a cup of water eating whatever he wanted. Can't imagine getting to 184 would be very difficult especially given the options, cut some weight, sit, or transfer and leave your friends. Easy choice for Shak if Bo goes 197.
This makes sense with one big caveat: a Bo to 197 decision either has been made or will be soon.

Would absolutely suck for Rasheed to spend the offseason bulking up to 197 and then in the fall try to cut it away.

Would be a re-do of Mouse 2 years ago.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I think Bo at 197 although plausible has many more downside risks for the team in general, both points wise but more importantly in causing a cascading set of Domino's to drop interms of who else might go where, who's the of man out, the change in team chemistry, etc.... The top half of our lineup is awesome next year and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Cael is the master and will manage whatever the reality come next fall, but with what I see today I give a thumbs down to these scenarios. Besides I would love to watch Bo vs Zahid for the national championship next year. If Z moves up its almost a given.
Except if Bo ain't movin up, Zahid aint movin up. You won't get the one, unless the other happens. Those two freestyle matches were years ago, and Zahid knows all about the other guy who beat Bo two times in freestyle and then lost the National Championship to him last year.

And of course, he's walking around at 176. LOL.

I heard some different stories of Rasheed looking elsewhere. Hard to tell what the true story is because the people I heard different stories from are usually spot on but their reasons varied.

Also, heard that this is a REAL possibility:

174 - Hall
184 - Cutch
197 - Nickal
Hwt - Cassar/Nevills

Which would obviously depend on a couple things happening/being granted. But if this is indeed what the coaches are trying to make happen, then that leads me to believe that the Rasheed rumors are true to an extent.

I'm not sure I'd put a lot of faith in Cutch's balky back.

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT