ADVERTISEMENT

Some off season chatter

YoungGunsWC

Oct 28, 2016
I heard some different stories of Rasheed looking elsewhere. Hard to tell what the true story is because the people I heard different stories from are usually spot on but their reasons varied.

Also, heard that this is a REAL possibility:

174 - Hall
184 - Cutch
197 - Nickal
Hwt - Cassar/Nevills

Which would obviously depend on a couple things happening/being granted. But if this is indeed what the coaches are trying to make happen, then that leads me to believe that the Rasheed rumors are true to an extent.

I heard some different stories of Rasheed looking elsewhere. Hard to tell what the true story is because the people I heard different stories from are usually spot on but their reasons varied.

174 - Hall
184 - Cutch
197 - Nickal
Hwt - Cassar/Nevills

Which would obviously depend on a couple things happening/being granted. But if this is indeed what the coaches are trying to make happen, then that leads me to believe that the Rasheed rumors are true to an extent.
So McCutcheon is reaching out for what appears to be a bag full of NCAA 6th years?

Cutch looks retired to me. Catch that baseball pic?

The idea sounds weird to me. Not sure why Cassar wouldn't just stay at 197. Another option is getting Beard enrolled and have him go 184.

Last edited:

174 - Hall
184 - Cutch
197 - Nickal
Hwt - Cassar/Nevills

Cassar needs to hit the weights hard and put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle throughout his body including legs....Nevills has trouble with really big strong guys who can wrestle well....Cassar has the skills....I am hearing Clutch is done and moving on in his life with academics guys...That should let you know something about the room too....

Wait, is it still April 1st?

Rasheed can’t/doesn’t want to cut and it’s more of Bo wanting to get bigger.

I guess the noodle arms thing bothers him more than we thought. Bo definitely has the frame for more weight. He might have trouble tossing guys like Conel around like he did the 184 field though...

I guess the noodle arms thing bothers him more than we thought. Bo definitely has the frame for more weight. He might have trouble tossing guys like Conel around like he did the 184 field though...
Why don't you go ask him, nerf?

Why don't you go ask him, nerf?
Who Bo? Noodle arms comment was intended with irony. The rest I believe, and if he's gonna go on the DT weight gain plan, I'd say it's Cox that has to start worrying.

Who Bo? Noodle arms comment was intended with irony. The rest I believe, and if he's gonna go on the DT weight gain plan, I'd say it's Cox that has to start worrying.
It took David close to 2 years to gain that muscle mass, which I guess is aimed at Cox.

If Bo wants to wrestle 197 then we know who the 197 pounder is going to be. Rasheed may really like not cutting anything, but if he wants that title 184 and through Martin should work. That arm length and cradle could and should be lethal, even against the elite at 184.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I don't see the point in upsetting the makeup of the lineup simply to start building Bo physically for his post college career. College/Folkstyle is one animal, Freestyle is something altogether different. Bo has time to develop physically the same way David Taylor has done post PSU. Right now physically he looks good where he's at. If Shak did transfer you move Cassar into the lineup full time and keep this thing rolling.

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- RBY/Teasdale
141-Lee
149-Berge/Verk
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Nickal
197-Cassar
285- Nevills

That's a National Championship winning lineup with an outside shot at 10 All Americans and 3-5 Champs. No reason to muddy the water IMO.

I don't see the point in upsetting the makeup of the lineup simply to start building Bo physically for his post college career. College/Folkstyle is one animal, Freestyle is something altogether different. Bo has time to develop physically the same way David Taylor has done post PSU. Right now physically he looks good where he's at. If Shak did transfer you move Cassar into the lineup full time and keep this thing rolling.

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- RBY/Teasdale
141-Lee
149-Berge/Verk
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Nickal
197-Cassar
285- Nevills

That's a National Championship winning lineup with an outside shot at 10 All Americans and 3-5 Champs. No reason to muddy the water IMO.
To be fair to hypothetical 197-Bo, this argument is strongly reminiscent of the argument everyone (myself included) made when 184-Bo was only a rumor and Gabe Dean seemingly unbeatable there. And then that rumor turned to truth and proceeded to work out pretty well for Bo and the team.

I'm skeptical of this rumor partly because I don't see where Cassar is getting these extra pounds to beat out Nick, and partly because of the uncertainty of Cutch being granted an extra year. It's also been reported (maybe reported is a strong word) that Cutch accepted a job assistant-coaching at Life University in Atlanta (NAIA). That said, both 197 and HWT are relatively weaker this coming season, 197 because it was already weak and HWT because Coon and Snyder are gone (though Stevenson is arriving).

I get what you're saying, but my mind immediately went to what Q did against an even beastlier Kent State guy at 97.

174 - Hall
184 - Cutch
197 - Nickal
Hwt - Cassar/Nevills

Chances of Cutch getting or even wanting a 6th year I put at zero. Chances of Cassar moving to 285 and beating out Nevills I also put at zero. Ergo chances of this being the lineup next year I also put at zero. No offense to whoever told you these stories but they don't pass the sniff test. JMHO.

Chances of Cutch getting or even wanting a 6th year I put at zero. Chances of Cassar moving to 285 and beating out Nevills I also put at zero. Ergo chances of this being the lineup next year I also put at zero. No offense to whoever told you these stories but they don't pass the sniff test. JMHO.
And what do you put the chances of me getting a date with Kate Upton

Reactions: GEEKMEDIC
125-Teske
133-Teasdale
141-RBY (N Lee redshirts and takes over 149 next year)
149-Berge/Verk
157-Nolf
165-Cenzo
174-Hall
184-Nickal
197-Cassar if Sheed leaves
HWT-Nevills
I don’t know what the experts know but this lineup seems plausible. It allows both Teasdale and RBY to wrestle up a few pounds from last year.

McCutcheon being the assistant wrestling coach at Life University is where he was accepted into the Dr of Chiropractic Medicine program last year. Being the assistant coach is basically a scholarship position. He helps with the wrestling program in exchange for tuition assistance.

I suppose it is possible Matt could petition for a 6th year. Does anybody remember if he had any injury issues his RS year. With the Ashnault ruling, actual justification for the 6th year is no longer seemingly required though.

Guess we will just have to see huh haha

The only reason I could see Bo moving up (outside the whole wanting to eat thing!) is if he wants the full year to get ready for the Olympics in 2020. DT was obviously lighter than Bo in college but he admitted it took him around 2 years to fully feel comfortable at the heavier weight. Bo might not want to wait until late March 2019 to start preparing for the 2020 Olympics? I don't like it from a line up perspective but I could understand this reasoning.

Understand that you can only repeat what your sources tell you, but Rasheed himself said more than once that he could only get himself up to 193 or 194 last year.

What your sources are telling you completely contradicts what came out of the horses mouth.

Remember in 2016/2017 the consensus was Bo would wrestle at 174; Cael even seemed to believe that. Next we know Bo wrestles Cutch for 184 and is the starter; Cutch bumps to 197 and becomes the starter after beating Stout. In hindsight it made the team better as it provided Hall the opening to wrestle at 174. So while I agree that Bo to 197 doesn't necessarily pass the smell test, there is precedent for Bo making the move up a weight when most didn't think it would happen. It would cause issues for Rasheed and Cassar - maybe they drop to 184?!? It's the off season, so let the speculation begin.

I get what you're saying, but my mind immediately went to what Q did against an even beastlier Kent State guy at 97.
I never meant to imply that I think Bo would lose to the big 197 lbers, just that he might find it tough tossing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TangSoo

Instead of tossing Conel around, I can see him ducking under, going around, sticking doubles, and beating Conel exactly like Q handled the other Kent State big fellow. Also, I'll call it now, if Bo moves up he majors Moore. He might even score more at 97 than he would at 84. Then, we will also see if Zahid is indeed "walking around at 178", because I think Zahid would announce his move up to 84 about 30 minutes after Bo makes his move to 97 official. LOL. Meanwhile, MyMar is watching this with more intensity than anyone I would imagine, this would be his birthday present and christmas present all rolled into one.

Not happy?: Everyone currently at 197, lol.

Cassar beats Nevills right now.

Some truth to this: Look at how Cassar handled Moore who was a very very big 197 who struggled to make weight all year long. It would be interesting to see how this plays out if it happens. I would imagine Anthony would head into the season around 225? He'd be very light, but the young man is very very strong. No, not Cap'n America strong, but top half of the podium strong? Why not. Dhesi isn't coming back, Hermida is big but not a giant, Stoll? Yep, that's a problem. Steveson up there too. But Hwy has cleared out somewhat and I wonder if...this would be very interesting...

It always interests me about the contrast in philosophy at PSU vs Tanning Bed U: At Penn State a kid doesn't want to cut, so he doesn't cut: At Tanning Bed U, Your coach tells you to cut, you don't have a say in the matter, and you cut. Sort of like the old Yaacov Smirnov joke, "In America you can always find a party, in Russia, party finds YOU."

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT