ADVERTISEMENT

Some early results, shots @ HR, acronym games, Pile bashing, etc.

It's all about the clicks.
They are bandwagon reporters. Whoever is hot is who they are in love with.
If they piss someone off they log in to read it and complain, If you agree you log in..
They don't get my money any more, how they choose to operate is enough of a turn off for me.

even though I still have a flo account I dont listen to FRL anymore. So can I get context to this statement.....

I mean wrestling media should know our current 125/157 that went this past weekend is not the march "plan". If they were our only options I understand the point. But otherwise this doesnt make any sense for wrestling media to make this statement as some kind of factual opinion.........
In what should surprise nobody, this is nothing more than fans looking for something to complain about. I don't even like the flo guys and only listened in after reading this thread. Pyles said "this" lineup, referring specifically to the lineup they rolled out this weekend, wasn't good enough.

In other words, he's in agreement with 100% of the fans on this forum in the necessity for PSU to land a 125 that is not currently on the roster and (probably) pull Facundo's redshirt at 165. They specifically talked about the Hildebrandt rumor as well. There was nothing complaint-worthy in that discussion.

Flo figured out years ago that to cater to 80% of their audience they can't sing the praises of PSU (and what Cael, has, is and can do better than anyone else) all day long.

They play down our kids more and program more than any other. Their team of the decade was indeed a fantastic 2018 tOSU squad that was one of the best I had ever seen, but they purposely put us on the other side of the bracket to hypothetically eliminate us vs Iowa.

Heck of we don't lose Berge to injury and if Bartlett had qualified with just a few more matches, we probably win last year

Flo's recent best team of the decade lost in a dual to a Nolfless PSU squad that also won the national championship.

Ben and Piles both have pretty jaded PSU "Goggles" on most of the time. I think some of it is calculated.
And if Iowa doesn't lose Marinelli to injury, they win by 25-30. If Max Murin wins it all, they win by 50. The what-if game is a little silly.

I think this whole thing is so dramatic. One of the most common refrains on FRL (and I listened for years) is that PSU is without question the best place to go to maximize your potential. Even in the conversation you're complaining about, Pyles asked why would Beard transfer when all Cael has to do is point out that PSU is the place that will give him the best chance to be a national champ.

If you're talking about them dismissing PSU's chances of winning all season last year consider this: you guys had an insane tournament with 4 champs and Iowa had a bad tournament with an undefeated #1 seed only scoring 4 points, two other #1 seeds losing hth in the finals, and Spencer losing out on a few bonus points due to injury.....and you still lost by 15 points. They were 100% right that you had no chance last year.

And it would require the Bull to stall to preserve the major. Pretty sure he’s not capable of that kind of stalling. Win or lose, that guy plans on winning. One or two aggressive exposures and Marinelli is decked or gone by whistle.
Re: @cheddarwurst reacting to this and other posts - words of wisdom. The “haha” emoji only works if it’s tactically employed to address truly laughable situations. Your carpet-bombing approach a la Clarencbutthorn neuters the impact of that useful emoji.

In the instant case (I.e. a hypothetical Marinelli-Taylor match), doubting that Taylor would ring up a tech (or pin) is, itself, inviting such an emoji to be turned against you. In a match against DT, the Bull wouldn’t even last past the proverbial
finish of the Picadors activity in the ring.

And if Iowa doesn't lose Marinelli to injury, they win by 25-30. If Max Murin wins it all, they win by 50. The what-if game is a little silly.

I think this whole thing is so dramatic. One of the most common refrains on FRL (and I listened for years) is that PSU is without question the best place to go to maximize your potential. Even in the conversation you're complaining about, Pyles asked why would Beard transfer when all Cael has to do is point out that PSU is the place that will give him the best chance to be a national champ.

If you're talking about them dismissing PSU's chances of winning all season last year consider this: you guys had an insane tournament with 4 champs and Iowa had a bad tournament with an undefeated #1 seed only scoring 4 points, two other #1 seeds losing hth in the finals, and Spencer losing out on a few bonus points due to injury.....and you still lost by 15 points. They were 100% right that you had no chance last year.

Is it an “insane” tournament if PSU regularly outperforms their seeds, and Iowa regularly underperforms their seeds?

FRL did some analysis about this a couple months back and PSU had the best seed vs placement of any team by a long shot.

Max Murin winning it all = a lot silly. Like 50 Cheddarwurst Haha emojis silly

Max Murin winning it all = a lot silly. Like 50 Cheddarwurst Haha emojis silly
I think that was js keeping it parallel with our assumption (Berge vs Marinelli's injury and our 149 not scoring many points) since we're assuming Bartlett scores major points at nationals had he made it last year as like a 29 seed. We're playing a lot of what ifs here so it's fair.

For the record, the avenue was there for PSU to win last year but required even more ridiculous of a tournament.

1. Cael was upset with Joe because we really couldn't afford a 0-2 BBQ from him. I think he wanted to see Joe pick up some bonus points on the backside even if he missed out on the podium.
2. Beard had a draw that set him up to go to the finals tbh. I think Cael was hoping for that Thursday night even.
3. Kerkvliet beating Schultz and placing 4th instead of 7th was huge also.

@slushhead, can you commit to starting a new "Noteworthy Results" thread each time the current one devolves into the type of thread we've come to expect from the off-season?
I have indeed been considering a similar idea. Of course, I run the risk of being perceived as Angry Board Police . . . and it’s not like I am squeaky-clean innocent of topic derailment or general buffoonery. So there is that. 🤷‍♂️

I think that was js keeping it parallel with our assumption (Berge vs Marinelli's injury and our 149 not scoring many points) since we're assuming Bartlett scores major points at nationals had he made it last year as like a 29 seed. We're playing a lot of what ifs here so it's fair.

For the record, the avenue was there for PSU to win last year but required even more ridiculous of a tournament.

1. Cael was upset with Joe because we really couldn't afford a 0-2 BBQ from him. I think he wanted to see Joe pick up some bonus points on the backside even if he missed out on the podium.
2. Beard had a draw that set him up to go to the finals tbh. I think Cael was hoping for that Thursday night even.
3. Kerkvliet beating Schultz and placing 4th instead of 7th was huge also.
‘member when Warnerov was flat on his back counting lights in the first round?

Reactions: bigs22 and danoftw
I have indeed been considering a similar idea. Of course, I run the risk of being perceived as Angry Board Police . . . and it’s not like I am squeaky-clean innocent of topic derailment or general buffoonery. So there is that. 🤷‍♂️
It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission

#resultsmatter

Reactions: PD4thespawn
At least you brought some humor back into the thread …
mase-lol.gif

Reactions: danoftw
It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission

#resultsmatter
I apply that approach so much in my job that I fear the ramifications of applying it to my personal time, as well, would bury me in forgiveness-begging duties. Too stressful! 😉

• Love
Reactions: dunkej01
I apply that approach so much in my job that I fear the ramifications of applying it to my personal time, as well, would bury me in forgiveness-begging duties. Too stressful! 😉
So in other words you're asking for forgiveness?

Reactions: slushhead
Is it an “insane” tournament if PSU regularly outperforms their seeds, and Iowa regularly underperforms their seeds?

FRL did some analysis about this a couple months back and PSU had the best seed vs placement of any team by a long shot.
PSU undoubtedly has been better at peaking, but Marinelli's injury was an abnormal blow. Even in his previous under performances, he averaged 10 team points which is pretty good.

Also it's been beaten to death at this point, but Marinelli has never taken a bad loss at NCAA's. He's lost to IMAR, Lewis, and Griffith on the front side: 3 NCAA champions. Wick, McFadden, and Marsteller on the backside: 2 4x AA's (assuming Wick places again this year) and a 2x AA (who would have had a better career if not for early off the mat issues).

Even if you predict him to underperform, Iowa still missed out on 6-8 points from him. And you still lost by 15. You never had a serious shot last year. Too many holes. This year will be tighter.

Reactions: Sten_Analoot
PSU undoubtedly has been better at peaking, but Marinelli's injury was an abnormal blow. Even in his previous under performances, he averaged 10 team points which is pretty good.

Also it's been beaten to death at this point, but Marinelli has never taken a bad loss at NCAA's. He's lost to IMAR, Lewis, and Griffith on the front side: 3 NCAA champions. Wick, McFadden, and Marsteller on the backside: 2 4x AA's (assuming Wick places again this year) and a 2x AA (who would have had a better career if not for early off the mat issues).

Even if you predict him to underperform, Iowa still missed out on 6-8 points from him. And you still lost by 15. You never had a serious shot last year. Too many holes. This year will be tighter.
I’ve been having fun with Mad Max, but I can buy this. We have to solve 2 out of our 4 “holes” at a minimum assuming AM reverts to his mean and the rest of Iowa performs to their general standards.

Just rename this thread title "Random Thoughts by Jack Handy". Then start a new thread "Noteworthy Results ONLY". Please and thank you.
Always loved that SNL segment.

Yep, you read my mind. Maybe the new version will stay on topic for the most part. But as someone (@jack66 ?) said some time ago, “This board has the attention span of a goldfish.” Just a humorous comment that still comes to mind. 🙂

You had to shake your head and laugh when Askrin said RBy’s ankle trap ride was stalling but he’s ok with throwing a leg in or both and just ride.
Askren is a good personality, his experiences are interesting but his lack of preparation for the show killed it for me... the other guys just aren't enough to carry the show for me...

Reactions: Dogwelder
Askren is a good personality, his experiences are interesting but his lack of preparation for the show killed it for me... the other guys just aren't enough to carry the show for me...
same and his personality got stale for me too. same weird asides and tangents every show.

Reactions: Fatmarc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT