ADVERTISEMENT

Some break out players this year.....

Some guys who played some last year, but were still green and young.

Castro Fields, Toney, Matos, Simmons, Brown

Hippenhamer, Hamlin, Bowers if healthy, and Sanders explodes on the scene.

I like your picks. I think TCF, Toney and Matos are going to have a very good year.
And you know I've been on the KJ Hammler bandwagon since last year. LOL.

Good choices.

Also looking for big years from Michal Menet and John Reid (who was good in 2015 and 2016, but we'll see his value again this year)

What about Wade, he seems lost in the shuffle of reports.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

Toney, Matos, and Simmons all have the potential to be break out players but I doubt that all of them will have an opportunity. Miller and Brown (if healthy will start). That leaves Buchholz, Toney, Simmons, and Matos fighting for second team snaps. If everybody stays healthy two of those guys are going to struggle to see much time.

TOS predicted Holland at TE and said that Bowers might be passed by one of the freshman if he's not healthy. These two kids are juniors so something tells me that one of them might move on if they can't get meaningful PT (even if due to injury). I'm rooting for Bowers.

WR seems to be Johnson and Thompkins in the slot. Someone between Polk, Hamler, Hippenhammer, and Shorter will have to make an impact. I also think we see more of Stevens as a 4th WR, replacing either Holland or Bowers when we go w/o a true TE.

Roy mentioned Reid and Menet. I think Reid was already a dominant player two years ago so it's only a matter of how he comes back to form after his injury. Menet will probbly start along with Fries, Gonzo, McGovern, and Bates. Wright will also be in the mix. Maybe Miranda. Jenkins is a junior so it's pretty much now or never given that Wright is the only senior.

I don't think Toney will ever be a major contributor, just too small. Penn State has recruited very well at DE and these guys have much more upside. He should have embraced a move to LB.

I don't think Toney will ever be a major contributor, just too small. Penn State has recruited very well at DE and these guys have much more upside. He should have embraced a move to LB.
Toney staying at DE has always been a mystery given that we're loaded at DE and could possibly be starting 2 freshmen at LB. The coaches know more than we do. I guess there's a lot more to it than size.

What about Wade, he seems lost in the shuffle of reports.
I'd say Castro-Fields passed Wade over last year, and expect the gap to widen going forward.
Wonder how Wade is adjusting to safety. He could be mildly buried (2nd/3rd string) there as well

I'd say Castro-Fields passed Wade over last year, and expect the gap to widen going forward.
Wonder how Wade is adjusting to safety. He could be mildly buried (2nd/3rd string) there as well
Really?? Haven't been following too much given the dead winter period, has there been a report that Wade is not developing????

Really?? Haven't been following too much given the dead winter period, has there been a report that Wade is not developing????
I am only talking about what I saw on the field last year. TCF was better ,and his length/speed combo will keep him solidly above Wade imo

I am only talking about what I saw on the field last year. TCF was better ,and his length/speed combo will keep him solidly above Wade imo
Didn't see much from Wade last year but the 4th quarter vs. Nebraska was ugly. Hopefully that was just a rookie thing.

Didn't see much from Wade last year but the 4th quarter vs. Nebraska was ugly. Hopefully that was just a rookie thing.

While i get what your saying, there are 10 other guys that looked just as bad in that game. Hard to put the blame on a freshman DB when your dline cannot get any pressure whatsoever

Toney, Matos, and Simmons all have the potential to be break out players but I doubt that all of them will have an opportunity. Miller and Brown (if healthy will start). That leaves Buchholz, Toney, Simmons, and Matos fighting for second team snaps. If everybody stays healthy two of those guys are going to struggle to see much time.

TOS predicted Holland at TE and said that Bowers might be passed by one of the freshman if he's not healthy. These two kids are juniors so something tells me that one of them might move on if they can't get meaningful PT (even if due to injury). I'm rooting for Bowers.

WR seems to be Johnson and Thompkins in the slot. Someone between Polk, Hamler, Hippenhammer, and Shorter will have to make an impact. I also think we see more of Stevens as a 4th WR, replacing either Holland or Bowers when we go w/o a true TE.

Roy mentioned Reid and Menet. I think Reid was already a dominant player two years ago so it's only a matter of how he comes back to form after his injury. Menet will probbly start along with Fries, Gonzo, McGovern, and Bates. Wright will also be in the mix. Maybe Miranda. Jenkins is a junior so it's pretty much now or never given that Wright is the only senior.

Brown wasn't an easy recovery so I still think they guys I said will all bust out in a good way. DE rotation will be a strength.

Reactions: BBrown
Brown wasn't an easy recovery so I still think they guys I said will all bust out in a good way. DE rotation will be a strength.
Simmons and Matos both looked promising in limited action late last year. The (good) problem is that we have so many kids at that position. The youngsters Oweh, Culpepper, Barber, Joseph, and Tarburton probably won't play because they've got 6 experienced players ahead of them (Brown, Miller, Toney, Simmons, Buchholz, Matos).

When they talk about the DBs let's just say they mention other names before Wade.
He will have to adjust to playing Safety.
My thoughts and I will probably get killed for this.
We all got caught up on his hype. Yeh he did have every major program in the country coming after him.
He just had a kid. If school and big time college football are not enough for a 19 year old to handle ad parenting. Have to wonder how much of a distraction that is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT