ADVERTISEMENT

So you don't want to be called a Troll...

Since the beginning of this season more and more first time posters, or posters in their first 20 odd posts have started threads where they go negative or less than positive on a situation, game, coach, or odds of getting a recruiting prospect. Two things happened right around the same time, the rebanning of hundreds of past trolls who were given clemency by the change in board format, and a second season of football that fell short of most (not all, but most) of our expectations. If you go negative in your first 20 or so posts, the way that some have, with no history, there is no doubt questions will arise especially after a number of trolls, that had been banned for years, reappeared and were rebanned under their old names.

If you are looking to avoid this might I throw out a few suggestions.
  1. Introduce yourself. For instance 3 years ago after being a lurker for more than two years my first post was to introduce myself, endorse David Mullaly for board of trustees, and give my first name and year of graduation. Granted, I could have been lying but to go to such lengths, I immediately gained some trust that I was who I said I was.
  2. If you don't want to say who you are and want to remain anonymous then participate in some of the other discussions before giving a hot take on a controversial topic. Example: there are always threads about what fraternity you were in, what involvement in THON you had as an undergrad, where your freshman dorm was, your favorite game experience, a personal Joe or player story, your favorite downtown bar while you were in school, or your favorite sorority to sneak out of in the morning. Contributing to those discussions goes a long way to ingratiating yourself to the board community and showing your not just here to talk about why Pitt has a better future than us going forward, how we hired the wrong coach, or why we aren't getting XYZ prospect.
  3. Don't come out guns blazing against a long time member in your first few posts. Respect is earned, not given. If you come out spitting fire against someone we all have gotten to know over the course of many discussions we are going to think, who is this guy and where is he coming from, regardless of what we think of that member. He maybe an idiot, but he's our idiot, type of deal. Follow suggestion 1 or 2 before waging war.
  4. Realize what it's been like here the last few years. After what happened happened, they come out of the wood work to tell us what they thought of us. The axe grinders finally got to swing their 20-40 year sharpened inferiority complexes in our face. Plenty came back under new names, so when you show up with 10 posts and go all chicken little we pause. In the last year and half it's gotten much better, but there are still plenty of bitter souls that will take any chance they can to take a shot and on a lot of other boards on rivals the falsehoods and outright lies still get repeated as gospel. So whether you are bringing that topic up or not, if we don't know you or you are always telling us why we're failing then there is reason to believe you're just another one of those bitter souls.
  5. If you follow any of the first 4 suggestions then let me say, please have opinions, let them be educated! If you are informed on a subject and want to give your take then do it, back it up, but realize not everyone will agree with you. Plenty of people have strong opinions people disagree with, who are respected members; Guns, Bushwood, Barry, Judge, Lajolla, Alphabets, and Knocker. Be careful of politics with Roy, Marbles, or Dem. Don't talk about the NL East with Howie or Jim. Don't ever say anything positive about ND to Glov or Pitt to LionLurker. Don't outrage Bob. Listen to Midnighter on TV and Movies. Make sure to catch Ro's sig pics. And always try to get a like from FairGambit.
The thing about all of those people I mentioned above is... they are all recognizable as Penn State fans. No one will ever call them a troll bc they and so many others have contributed their thoughts and passions to the board about a wide range of topics in both positive times and bad times. Look no further than the thread on Sarge. He was often put in the sin-bin, but when he stopped showing up people noticed, because they cared.

If you really aren't a troll then show us you're not, become someone we care about.
I'm not a PSU fan but I will introduce myself anyway. I've been on Rivals since almost the beginning and one of my favorite parts of the network is discussing/debating topics (that relate to Michigan in some way) with fans of other teams BECAUSE they might have a different opinion than I do...talking with those who agree with you on everything I find a bit boring. I have no delusions that I will come here and convince everyone to see things my way but if every once in awhile either side maybe learns something I consider it a win.

I will be upfront and admit I was banned here (roughly 13 years ago) but it wasn't for "trolling." It was the night Chad Henne committed to Michigan. There was a (multi-page) thread comparing him to a Nazi collaborator which included photo-shopped pictures of him in things like a nazi uniform standing next to Hitler and a few anti-semitic posts. As a Jew of German and Russian decent I kind of flew off the handle demanding the thread be taken down and even having our mods contact your mods.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if I was in the right on that but I even knew at the time that one thread was not representative of the mass majority of the people on this board. It was one thread in (very) bad taste (imo) and my many prior interactions wit you guys had mostly been amicable. Thus I took advantage of the recent "clemency" to enjoy discussions with PSU folk again. I obviously am not going to agree with you guys on everything (probably not most things) but I hope that at least some of you appreciate a different perspective.

I'm not a PSU fan but I will introduce myself anyway. I've been on Rivals since almost the beginning and one of my favorite parts of the network is discussing/debating topics (that relate to Michigan in some way) with fans of other teams BECAUSE they might have a different opinion than I do...talking with those who agree with you on everything I find a bit boring. I have no delusions that I will come here and convince everyone to see things my way but if every once in awhile either side maybe learns something I consider it a win.

I will be upfront and admit I was banned here (roughly 13 years ago) but it wasn't for "trolling." It was the night Chad Henne committed to Michigan. There was a (multi-page) thread comparing him to a Nazi collaborator which included photo-shopped pictures of him in things like a nazi uniform standing next to Hitler and a few anti-semitic posts. As a Jew of German and Russian decent I kind of flew off the handle demanding the thread be taken down and even having our mods contact your mods.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if I was in the right on that but I even knew at the time that one thread was not representative of the mass majority of the people on this board. It was one thread in (very) bad taste (imo) and my many prior interactions wit you guys had mostly been amicable. Thus I took advantage of the recent "clemency" to enjoy discussions with PSU folk again. I obviously am not going to agree with you guys on everything (probably not most things) but I hope that at least some of you appreciate a different perspective.

I recall the Henne board meltdown but those particular posts. Too bad you were kindly asked to leave because you missed the epic AustinNit thread that occured around that time. Cheers.

Reactions: ellobo

I think most of us here enjoy posts from fans of other schools, as long as they are presented intelligently and respectfully. Unfortunately, too many are done just for the sake of flaming. Legitimate debate over any issue should be encouraged, but when someone is here just to create chaos, they need to be banned. Our mods are often slow to do that and so some threads deteriorate to the point of being unreadable. As to your banning, that was before my time here, but, accepting your version as true, I would agree the thread should have been dumped and you should not have been.

I can handle being disagreed with or challenge on my point of view or poor attempt at humor. It's the junior high name calling or instant troll label that's thrown around that is ridiculous. I bleed blue and white and have been called a troll because my clever post title upset people. There are too many babies on here that think they own the board because they have thousands of posts. Others of us like to read and then go about our lives cause we have them. Name call.......go!

Booger eater...is that junior high enough? Just kidding.

I think most of us here enjoy posts from fans of other schools, as long as they are presented intelligently and respectfully. Unfortunately, too many are done just for the sake of flaming. Legitimate debate over any issue should be encouraged, but when someone is here just to create chaos, they need to be banned. Our mods are often slow to do that and so some threads deteriorate to the point of being unreadable. As to your banning, that was before my time here, but, accepting your version as true, I would agree the thread should have been dumped and you should not have been.

Unfortunately many on here are trying to post like they're being respectful but they're being pretty douchey about it. That's pretty irritating as well.

As my name suggests, I'm a Buckeye fan and alumnus. I live in Cincy. Growing up, I always held JoePa and PSU in high regard. Have many friends from PA, a handful of whom went to Penn State, and have been to State College for games on three occasions (Alabama 2011, OSU 2012, OSU 2014). Was also at the game in Tuscaloosa in 2010 (tagged along with my friends on the roadtrip).

Started hanging around here because it's the best place to keep up with the trials, which I've followed closely ever since Sandusky's indictment. I have always kept an open mind with regards to the whole scandal and those involved. And I think it's a shame what they did to JoePa.

Unfortunately many on here are trying to post like they're being respectful but they're being pretty douchey about it. That's pretty irritating as well.
True, but if it is an obvious charade, and they are just feigning respect, they should be called out on it.

We had some training at work just yesterday...and part of the training was about internet and social media....and one of the things they discussed was people who go out of their way to cyberbully or do malicious things on the internet. If you are a grown man or woman and you get your thrill trolling on a message board...you have some real problems. Look at yourself in the mirror. Some folks need a reality check if they really get happiness in trolling folks on the internet over college football.

This describes who entire Pitt fan base.

To be fair to your mods I did have a few (deserved) choice words for some people in that thread and I'm sure your mods had one finger on the ban button because that night was one big flame fest.

Since the beginning of this season more and more first time posters, or posters in their first 20 odd posts have started threads where they go negative or less than positive on a situation, game, coach, or odds of getting a recruiting prospect. Two things happened right around the same time, the rebanning of hundreds of past trolls who were given clemency by the change in board format, and a second season of football that fell short of most (not all, but most) of our expectations. If you go negative in your first 20 or so posts, the way that some have, with no history, there is no doubt questions will arise especially after a number of trolls, that had been banned for years, reappeared and were rebanned under their old names.

If you are looking to avoid this might I throw out a few suggestions.
  1. Introduce yourself. For instance 3 years ago after being a lurker for more than two years my first post was to introduce myself, endorse David Mullaly for board of trustees, and give my first name and year of graduation. Granted, I could have been lying but to go to such lengths, I immediately gained some trust that I was who I said I was.
  2. If you don't want to say who you are and want to remain anonymous then participate in some of the other discussions before giving a hot take on a controversial topic. Example: there are always threads about what fraternity you were in, what involvement in THON you had as an undergrad, where your freshman dorm was, your favorite game experience, a personal Joe or player story, your favorite downtown bar while you were in school, or your favorite sorority to sneak out of in the morning. Contributing to those discussions goes a long way to ingratiating yourself to the board community and showing your not just here to talk about why Pitt has a better future than us going forward, how we hired the wrong coach, or why we aren't getting XYZ prospect.
  3. Don't come out guns blazing against a long time member in your first few posts. Respect is earned, not given. If you come out spitting fire against someone we all have gotten to know over the course of many discussions we are going to think, who is this guy and where is he coming from, regardless of what we think of that member. He maybe an idiot, but he's our idiot, type of deal. Follow suggestion 1 or 2 before waging war.
  4. Realize what it's been like here the last few years. After what happened happened, they come out of the wood work to tell us what they thought of us. The axe grinders finally got to swing their 20-40 year sharpened inferiority complexes in our face. Plenty came back under new names, so when you show up with 10 posts and go all chicken little we pause. In the last year and half it's gotten much better, but there are still plenty of bitter souls that will take any chance they can to take a shot and on a lot of other boards on rivals the falsehoods and outright lies still get repeated as gospel. So whether you are bringing that topic up or not, if we don't know you or you are always telling us why we're failing then there is reason to believe you're just another one of those bitter souls.
  5. If you follow any of the first 4 suggestions then let me say, please have opinions, let them be educated! If you are informed on a subject and want to give your take then do it, back it up, but realize not everyone will agree with you. Plenty of people have strong opinions people disagree with, who are respected members; Guns, Bushwood, Barry, Judge, Lajolla, Alphabets, and Knocker. Be careful of politics with Roy, Marbles, or Dem. Don't talk about the NL East with Howie or Jim. Don't ever say anything positive about ND to Glov or Pitt to LionLurker. Don't outrage Bob. Listen to Midnighter on TV and Movies. Make sure to catch Ro's sig pics. And always try to get a like from FairGambit.
The thing about all of those people I mentioned above is... they are all recognizable as Penn State fans. No one will ever call them a troll bc they and so many others have contributed their thoughts and passions to the board about a wide range of topics in both positive times and bad times. Look no further than the thread on Sarge. He was often put in the sin-bin, but when he stopped showing up people noticed, because they cared.

If you really aren't a troll then show us you're not, become someone we care about.
http://sciencevibe.com/2016/01/20/internet-trolls-are-sadists-psychopaths-narcissistic-video/

I think I've been called a troll a few times but I see no need to report that to Dr Barron.

To be fair to your mods I did have a few (deserved) choice words for some people in that thread and I'm sure your mods had one finger on the ban button because that night was one big flame fest.

We had a long thread of disagreement but I never thought you stepped over the line or posted anything that should get you banned. At least in our case I thought it was a good healthy debate, where you were of course wrong :)

Reactions: ellobo
In interest of disclosure, I went to PSU for grad school 1998-2001, but class of 2002. From the land of Akeel Lynch. Was never into college football until arrived at PSU. Then had season tickets for 2-3 years during LaVar era. Have followed PSU and college football ever since. Started following this board after IT, and have stayed because this is the place for info. and hardly anyone where I live follows college football.

The only person who has called me a troll is Bushwood, but i'm not alone in that. ;) In general, I have found the board pretty friendly with a few exceptions.

Hey Guys,

I thought I would continue the sting of introductions as I have been lurking for a few years and posted for the first time this week.

I am a life-long Penn State Football and Basketball fan (ohhhh the suffering. I have felt the pain of seeing Greg Bartram get called for a push-off against #1 Indiana to rob us and had my little ten year old heart break as Pete Lesicky's 3 ball rimmed out as I watched from the stands in Providence as PSU lost in the first round to Arkansas in 1996)

I am a State College native that graduated from Penn State in 2008 with degrees in Journalism (emphasis on Sports Journ) and History. After graduation I attended grad-school at UMass and now reside in New Hampshire.

As for Pro sports: I am a fan of the Boston Red Sox, Bruins (formerly Whalers), Celtics and Giants. I follow the same teams as my father and the New Englanders up here can't understand or fathom my love of the Giants.

Hopefully I do not say anything that gets me labeled as a Pitt fan

Reactions: canuckhal
Hey Guys,

I thought I would continue the sting of introductions as I have been lurking for a few years and posted for the first time this week.

I am a life-long Penn State Football and Basketball fan (ohhhh the suffering. I have felt the pain of seeing Greg Bartram get called for a push-off against #1 Indiana to rob us and had my little ten year old heart break as Pete Lesicky's 3 ball rimmed out as I watched from the stands in Providence as PSU lost in the first round to Arkansas in 1996)

I am a State College native that graduated from Penn State in 2008 with degrees in Journalism (emphasis on Sports Journ) and History. After graduation I attended grad-school at UMass and now reside in New Hampshire.

As for Pro sports: I am a fan of the Boston Red Sox, Bruins (formerly Whalers), Celtics and Giants. I follow the same teams as my father and the New Englanders up here can't understand or fathom my love of the Giants.

Hopefully I do not say anything that gets me labeled as a Pitt fan
Lucky you. Love New Hampshire, especially the Whites. Hiked from the Whites to Hanover two years ago.

To the extent that is true, I will restate what I said earlier. Over the past 4 years, this board has been flooded with trolls and, in my opinion, they have been given much more leeway than they deserve. As a result, I think some of the long time posters have taken it upon themselves to police the board. I agree some are too quick to condemn opposing voices, but if you look at threads that are started, or dominated, by trolls, it is understandable.

So you want to be a rock and roll star
Then listen now to what I say
Just buy an electric guitar
And take some time to learn how to play
Then in a week or two
Your song will top the charts
The girls will tear you apart

NH couldn't be more be more beautiful in the fall and summer. The white mountains and lake regions are something to behold. Having your face chapped from the cold gets old but I like it up here for now

Nice thread, bmw. Not what I expected, exactly.

Been reading this forum regularly since 11/11. Went to high school in State College and met Joe several times as a PSU student (grad '81). He always told me to stop messing around and go to the library. Worse nag than my folks! :)

I am no football expert (female) but am learning a lot, thanks to you guys. My dad was a prof and I grew up on several college campuses (I like to visit Rival boards, for that reason, and appreciate non-trolls from other schools who do that, too). Yet I am FAR more plugged in to PSU than ever before and that is a very good thing.

I'm glad you started this thread, it's been long overdue. I've been around since the old board days and forget my original handle. I'm normally pretty civil but recently several posters, whom i assume are trolls have really gotten under my skin, and that sucks because otherwise I very much enjoy this board. I thought it was telling when one of the mods last week pretty much said he didn't like this board and basically did nothing to keep it clean . WTH?
To those that introduced themselves in this thread, i applaud you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT