ADVERTISEMENT

...so, will this be the lineup...

Sure looks that way in the McKenna pic.

Guess one of he or BOBAR takes a RS
Agree with that one will RS. If Nick Lee stays 141 SVN goes 149 with Bartlett RS. If Lee bumps up to 149 Bartlett goes 141 and SVN will RS. My opinion Lee stays at 141 why bump up to Yianni.

Agree with that one will RS. If Nick Lee stays 141 SVN goes 149 with Bartlett RS. If Lee bumps up to 149 Bartlett goes 141 and SVN will RS. My opinion Lee stays at 141 why bump up to Yianni.
Quick, call it now, which lineup does better overall?
A. Lee 141 SVN 149
B. Lee 141 Bartlett 149
C. SVN 141 Lee 149
D. Bartlett 141 Lee 149

I like Bartlett with one year under his belt a little more than SVN only due to experience. Both are incredible talents that are going to be another dynamic duo of national champs for us.

The other elephant in the corner of the room is BB's belief in himself and drive. I think Beau is so focused and eager that he will not want to shirt, heck he kept the team hanging to the 11th hour as a true frosh while he pursued his shot at taking Nick out at 141.

He believes he is national championship caliber and last year was somewhat of a perfect storm for him to perform his worst IMO. A very late climb to 149, too few matches to get a reasonable seed, resulted in him getting hammers right out of the gate. It ended up a bit of a cluster $#@& one time oddity.

The kid is ready!!!!

I definitely do not see him taking a redshirt laying down and will give it a go at either or 141, 149 or both, and will only redshirt if he loses wrestleoffs at both.

My take is I think I would like to see Nick go up and give it a go with Yanni. I think the points either way we go @ 141/149 with Nick and Beau will be relatively close.

Last edited:
I promise you if Nick stays at 141, it isn't because Yianni is at 149.

And no, I'm not saying Nick should be a considered a favorite over Yianni either. I'm saying, he sure as hell wouldn't stay down just because he's worried about facing Yianni. If anything, I think it could be intriguing for Nick.

Because he can beat yianni just the exact same as he beat eirmann. Bartlett and Van Ness, on the other hand, can beat a whole lot more guys at 141 than they can at 149.

And no, I'm not saying Nick should be a considered a favorite over Yianni either. I'm saying, he sure as hell wouldn't stay down just because he's worried about facing Yianni. If anything, I think it could be intriguing for Nick.
I agree. He was very intrigued by Yianni at OTTs.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Nick has the frame to pack on enough muscle to dominate 149!! That would set him up well to cut back down to 143(65 kg ) for international compitition!!

I think if Nick moves up it's because he wants to wrestle Yianni

I"m amazed at the fact that so many people just *know* that Yianni will be at 149 this coming year. If Saunders is deemed to be less effective at 141 than at 149, then Yianni will be at 141.

JO said he was always blown away by how strong Nick is wrestling him. JO is the definition of having grown man strength so if he says that, I imagine Nick can handle college 149s no issue even without packing on much muscle. Some are just really gifted athletes and pound for pound have more strength. Obviously, Spencer is the perfect example of that, he walks around at 128-130, doesn't lift weights, yet he turns people like he has the strength of a 149 pounder and routinely outmuscled much bigger wrestlers like NATO, Suriano, Mueller.

It seems to me that the Joe Lee to 157 is discussed as though that would be a snap of the fingers move to make.

Asking this fellow to lose and maintain another 8# drop, when he’s wrestled at 165 the past two years, is really asking a lot. Am I wrong here?

It seems to me that the Joe Lee to 157 is discussed as though that would be a snap of the fingers move to make.

Asking this fellow to lose and maintain another 8# drop, when he’s wrestled at 165 the past two years, is really asking a lot. Am I wrong here?
It's the way to get our best guys in the lineup. I love Barraclough but if Joe can get his head together, I think he has a higher NCAA ceiling than Barraclough as he's proven he can beat NQ level guys. Also, it allows Facundo to get into the lineup. How he does? Who knows but I do know he's a very talented kid with great defense. If he can learn offense in the room in the next few months (not unlike Carter) then I see him scoring at NCAAs also. If Joe is starting the descent now, he can make the cut a lot less. He didn't look big at 165 tbh.

Reactions: tgar
It's the way to get our best guys in the lineup. I love Barraclough but if Joe can get his head together, I think he has a higher NCAA ceiling than Barraclough as he's proven he can beat NQ level guys. Also, it allows Facundo to get into the lineup. How he does? Who knows but I do know he's a very talented kid with great defense. If he can learn offense in the room in the next few months (not unlike Carter) then I see him scoring at NCAAs also. If Joe is starting the descent now, he can make the cut a lot less. He didn't look big at 165 tbh.
Thank you. I really don’t know how difficult it can be. It all comes down to discipline. I hope Joe has it, and he can learn from his mistakes this past year. He has the potential. No doubt about that.

Thank you. I really don’t know how difficult it can be. It all comes down to discipline. I hope Joe has it, and he can learn from his mistakes this past year. He has the potential. No doubt about that.
It's all hands on deck next year, every point helps. Joe could only win one match at NCAAs but if it's against like a 30 seed and he chucks him and pins him, then that's 2.5 more points then he scored this year and it helps. Or we could get good Joe for an entire weekend and he's on the podium, who knows?

It's all hands on deck next year, every point helps. Joe could only win one match at NCAAs but if it's against like a 30 seed and he chucks him and pins him, then that's 2.5 more points then he scored this year and it helps. Or we could get good Joe for an entire weekend and he's on the podium, who knows?
Before this past year, when I was asked by people who don’t follow like I do, who I was most excited about as Freshmen, I said Starocci and J. Lee. We know how the one turned out. While I did not think Joe could win it all, I really thought he’d be on the podium.

Reactions: Ski
JO said he was always blown away by how strong Nick is wrestling him. JO is the definition of having grown man strength so if he says that, I imagine Nick can handle college 149s no issue even without packing on much muscle. Some are just really gifted athletes and pound for pound have more strength. Obviously, Spencer is the perfect example of that, he walks around at 128-130, doesn't lift weights, yet he turns people like he has the strength of a 149 pounder and routinely outmuscled much bigger wrestlers like NATO, Suriano, Mueller.
I bet if you put Spencer Lee in the weight room and tested him, his lifts would be very good. One aspect of strength in wrestling that is often overlooked is the strength in the hands and wrists. For example, I have a friend who was a junior national champion powerlifter, obviously very strong in the weight room. He wrestled one year in college at the D1 level. One match was against either someone from PSU or Drexel who was an all-american (late 70's). The other wrestler grabbed him his wrists and that was the match, could not do anything because he got dominated in the hand fighting. His 600+ pound dead lift and squat was worthless.

I think Spencer Lee is like that, especially on top...his grip is like a vice.

Before this past year, when I was asked by people who don’t follow like I do, who I was most excited about as Freshmen, I said Starocci and J. Lee. We know how the one turned out. While I did not think Joe could win it all, I really thought he’d be on the podium.
I mentioned before also, I literally would have put money on Joe being an AA last year before the season after watching what he did to Zach Hartman. Joe showed everything I wanted to see out of a freshman in 2019-2020. He was attacking always and looking to score. He sometimes got reckless and he had his struggles on bottom but that is expected as a freshman. He came out of the COVID shutdown looking slow (not unlike Carter) and got hurt against Ohio State and I suspected it was more serious then we'll ever know.

I think a full season helps all freshman from last year (as they need a ton of mat time) but I think Joe is a kid that needs 30 matches going into NCAAs especially. He's going to make mistakes and getting those matches allows him to really learn because to be honest, I think he's the kind of wrestler that needs to do something wrong several times before it's really drilled into his head how to do it correctly.

I bet if you put Spencer Lee in the weight room and tested him, his lifts would be very good. One aspect of strength in wrestling that is often overlooked is the strength in the hands and wrists. For example, I have a friend who was a junior national champion powerlifter, obviously very strong in the weight room. He wrestled one year in college at the D1 level. One match was against either someone from PSU or Drexel who was an all-american (late 70's). The other wrestler grabbed him his wrists and that was the match, could not do anything because he got dominated in the hand fighting. His 600+ pound dead lift and squat was worthless.

I think Spencer Lee is like that, especially on top...his grip is like a vice.
AJ Ferrari disagrees with the deadlift statement. All joking aside, 100% correct, strength/athleticism goes beyond powerlifting numbers (write that down Ohio State!)

Spencer obviously won the genetic lottery with 2 Olympian parents.

Reactions: David Keller
I have a friend who was a junior national champion powerlifter, obviously very strong in the weight room. He wrestled one year in college at the D1 level. One match was against either someone from PSU or Drexel who was an all-american (late 70's). The other wrestler grabbed him his wrists and that was the match, could not do anything because he got dominated in the hand fighting. His 600+ pound dead lift and squat was worthless.
Did your friend wrestle for Ohio State?

Reactions: yekrut321

You might be wrong. Do you know how much he had to lose to make 165?

Quick, call it now, which lineup does better overall?
A. Lee 141 SVN 149
B. Lee 141 Bartlett 149
C. SVN 141 Lee 149
D. Bartlett 141 Lee 149
D for me too.

C would be nice too, but I dont see SVN ever making 41, like I said in a previous post.

Either way I am hoping we get to see Nick be the one who keeps YD from being a 4 timer.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I think if Nick moves up it's because he wants to wrestle Yianni

I think if Nick moves up, it’ll be because getting down to 141 is getting more difficult. To date, I thought I’d heard getting to 141 wasn’t too difficult for him. Perhaps this upcoming season will be different, but I continue to believe he’s sticking to 141.

Joe always did look more suited for 157 to me. If he moves down for the good of the team that's great but personally I dont think Facundo beats a healthy Joe Lee yet..

Btw, been looking for Hoosier to pipe in but oddly he has been silent. Maybe hes unlike me and actually has a life outside of this board...😑

Last edited:
Just speculation but seeing how Corby/Willie got news of Joe to 157 ... I'm guessing if Nick was changing to 149, he would have gotten that also.

Reactions: garw and Ja1339
Joe always did look more suited for 157 to me. If he moves down for the good of the team that's great but personally I dont think Facundo beats a healthy Joe Lee yet..

Btw, been looking for Hoosier yo pipe in but oddly he has been silent. Maybe hes unlike me and actually has a life outside of this board...😑
Look up

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT