141 Bartlett
149 N Lee
157 J Lee
165 Facundo
174 C Star
184 AB
197 Max
Hwt Kerk

I could live with that lineup think it would be a better one than a year ago. I like JLee at 157. Saw him recently and I could see that happening. Not aware of any intel on Facundo. Bartlett, NLee makes good sense. Steen, if he wrestles the full year, will do better than Howard at nationals. Kerk will be better at Hwt and Dean should be better than Beard was at 197. It's a great team if this is what they roll with.

I could live with that lineup think it would be a better one than a year ago. I like JLee at 157. Saw him recently and I could see that happening. Not aware of any intel on Facundo. Bartlett, NLee makes good sense. Steen, if he wrestles the full year, will do better than Howard at nationals. Kerk will be better at Hwt and Dean should be better than Beard was at 197. It's a great team if this is what they roll with.
Funny. With a full year Howard will do better than Howard at Nationals.

Can also insert Kerk instead. Also insert Beard. Also insert Bartlett.

As far as Dean goes he took 8th as a freshman then 2nd. Why is it Beard isn’t going to improve? He took 7th as a Freshman and….

As far as Dean goes he took 8th as a freshman then 2nd. Why is it Beard isn’t going to improve? He took 7th as a Freshman and….
Beard will improve and if he improves enough then he will beat out Dean. If that happens then I will root for Beard the same as I root for Dean. If it doesn't, then go Dean.

Howard is out next year.

Howard is out next year.

Yep. Cowbell must be out trending to the herd.... for the past 3 months.

It's all good. Steen is going to surprise a few folks. I just have a feeling, based upon nothing but rumors and some faith.

Then again Suriano....

I know someone’s brought it up that Howard is out (for potential surgery recovery). But the comparison was from last years team points to this years team points. Yes, Howard would improve this year, however even compared to last year, Howard didn’t get many matches for a freshman nor did he get antiquated to a real college regimen due to Covid. (And that excuse goes for many others too. Just like most freshman would have potentially RS last year but because the free year, why not let them gain experience)

again we won’t know till they wrestle

I know someone’s brought it up that Howard is out (for potential surgery recovery). But the comparison was from last years team points to this years team points. Yes, Howard would improve this year, however even compared to last year, Howard didn’t get many matches for a freshman nor did he get antiquated to a real college regimen due to Covid. (And that excuse goes for many others too. Just like most freshman would have potentially RS last year but because the free year, why not let them gain experience)

Not only that, but he didn’t get acclimated either 😉

Kinda my point. I just think it’s funny how we say “with a full year”. I know Howard’s out, but the suggestion was Steen with a full year will be better than Howard. It should finish “than Howard with 5 matches”. Or Kerk not even on the mat until the last weekend. That’s why I said Howard would be better than Howard. Lol.

Reactions: nitlion6
Joe Lee could've been certified at 157 without much effort but that wasn't their plan and he was never asked. Don't be surprised to see him at 157 now after all of the latest developments that never came to pass.

Believe what you want but the plan was to make a few major changes to at least push the competition in the room. Contingency plans are now being made after everything didn't go as planned.

Believe what you want but the plan was to make a few major changes to at least push the competition in the room. Contingency plans are now being made after everything didn't go as planned.
Pretty obvious Plan B is Joe to 157 and hope Facundo can pick up offense quickly in the room. Not unreasonable with a full season that that Facundo can be an AA level guy (talented true freshman AA all the time) with Casey's training but it's always a challenge for true freshman, especially at a weight like 165. Joe has all the talent and ability in the world to score for us at Nationals at 157. Can he put it together?

Any thoughts on Aurelius Dunbar's chances at 165? I haven't heard anything but silence about him, so far. Obviously he has some talent to have been a 4 time state finalist in PA. At both 157 and 165 we seem to have some quality depth, but we need a couple guys to step up a level to stand above their teammates and give this team a legit shot at knocking off Iowa.

Joe Lee could've been certified at 157 without much effort but that wasn't their plan and he was never asked. Don't be surprised to see him at 157 now after all of the latest developments that never came to pass.
For the record, my comment was a joke referring to the OP, not to you.

He has a chance. He’s the Golden Child. :)
giphy.gif

125 Steen
133 RBY
141 Bartlett
149 N Lee
157 J Lee
165 Facundo
174 C Star
184 AB
197 Max
Hwt Kerk
Switch Bartlett and Lee and 197 is more like Dean/Beard and that is the lineup of the 2022 NCAA champions.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Aurelius Dunbar's chances at 165? I haven't heard anything but silence about him, so far. Obviously he has some talent to have been a 4 time state finalist in PA. At both 157 and 165 we seem to have some quality depth, but we need a couple guys to step up a level to stand above their teammates and give this team a legit shot at knocking off Iowa.
To be completely accurate, he was not a PIAA 4x state finalist. He wrestled in the National Preps circuit.

Assume contingency plan is Alex at 65? Is the ‘everything didn’t go as planned’ comment in reference to Wick and Griffith not coming to PSU? TIA

Assume contingency plan is Alex at 65? Is the ‘everything didn’t go as planned’ comment in reference to Wick and Griffith not coming to PSU? TIA
Here's how bad we were teased this offseason:

Timeline for rumors, Seamus (and an insider on 247) mentioned possible transfers coming. 157, 165, 197. We now know Max Dean is 197. This is now a done deal obviously. They were careful with their wording and said nothing is guaranteed but only it's in the works.

@Village_Lion dropped a bombshell that Dellavecchia was holding off retirement and wrestling for PSU. That's 157. I believe him also. I just don't think he had the most recent information and Dellavecchia changed his mind and decided to stick with coaching. Keep in mind, he is an out of state wrestler and would need to pay graduate school out of state tuition for the upcoming year (doubt Cael has a TON of money laying around and no we won't pay him through a slush fund). That's a lot to consider. All smoke is he was contacted and really was intrigued by it. This was probably the longest shot anyways.

There is a poster on 247 who works with a parent of Griffith. He mentioned during tournament time that Griffith to Michigan was a done deal. This was likely due to Shane's original plan to go 174 (which Shane confirmed he wanted to on Baschamania). He later flipped it and said PSU led and that added up since Griffith said on Baschamania that he realized he might be 165 after all, which would make PSU a perfect fit. After Stanford was saved, I think the kid just had a hard time leaving it all behind after what he's done for the program.

Wick was BY FAR the biggest heartbreak. That was DONE and they were just working on clearing admissions and we just didn't accept all his credits (he didn't NOT get into the school). I actually do have a plugged in source for this one. Cal Poly was NOT the school with credit transfer issues and it got worked out last second (like some speculated). Admissions did not lift a finger to help Cael. It's very frustrating they couldn't make it work with a kid from a Big Ten school that could clear admissions to a more selective school. Eventually I'm guessing the kid just ran out of patience and didn't want to leave Cal Poly (a great option in itself) hanging after all they've done to get him admitted.

All in all, Dellavecchia is the typical fun offseason fodder that never really comes into fruition (that had some smoke), Griffith was a situation that is overall great for wrestling but Wick's situation is just FUBAR.

Yes - contingency plan is Facundo is a full go and Joe Lee goes 157. I think Cael wanted him on board (rumors were he considered OTC) for this next season just in case. Cael is not punting with 4 returning champs, a healthy Kerkvliet, Max Dean and one of SVN/Bartlett available to man 141/149. Joe has the ability and Facundo is a super talented true freshman (and those type of wrestlers score at NCAAs all the time)

Yes - contingency plan is Facundo is a full go and Joe Lee goes 157. I think Cael wanted him on board (rumors were he considered OTC) for this next season just in case. Cael is not punting with 4 returning champs, a healthy Kerkvliet, Max Dean and one of SVN/Bartlett available to man 141/149. Joe has the ability and Facundo is a super talented true freshman (and those type of wrestlers score at NCAAs all the time)
Is the Elite Accelerator Program (EAP) happening for the 2021-2022 season?
I was hearing it was up in the air. Facundo before pandemic happened. Rogers too. Due to the ncaa extra year also heard Condomitti and Pinto might grayshirt there if they have the program.

Is the Elite Accelerator Program (EAP) happening for the 2021-2022 season?
I was hearing it was up in the air. Facundo before pandemic happened. Rogers too. Due to the ncaa extra year also heard Condomitti and Pinto might grayshirt there if they have the program.
Good question, I have no idea tbh. Willie floated around the idea of Facundo greyshirting in the Fall as well but I think that's out the window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT