ADVERTISEMENT

So will the Atlanta Braves

Just my opinion - There is a distinct difference between names like redskins (a culturally tinted slur) and those like chiefs/braves (depicting specific members of strength within a culture - not unlike Titans, Senators, or Cowboys). Names that depict entire tribes/nations (Illini, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc) are perhaps a little less distinctive, but still are not steeped in stereotypes (very similar to Montreal’s hockey team or Houston’s football team). Names like Indians are a little more ambiguous - I don’t believe it is a cultural slur, but the arguments against it hold a little more water than the others.

Blooper replaced Homer the Brave. Homer the Brave replaced Chief Knock a Homa sometime in the 80s.
images

Reactions: Phil's Rug
They'll need your genius in order to do that.
plenty to go around. let me know how I can be of service!

You've never lived in Canada. You don't know what its like! Until you've been in that situation, you don't have a voice.

:)

plenty to go around. let me know how I can be of service!

You've never lived in Canada. You don't know what its like! Until you've been in that situation, you don't have a voice.

:)

I have lived in Canada, so I'll wait for your next lame attempt..

Is it just an urban myth that the Braves were originally named after the Boston Tea Party participants (who had dressed as Native Americans)? The team of course originally was based in Boston

Just my opinion - There is a distinct difference between names like redskins (a culturally tinted slur) and those like chiefs/braves (depicting specific members of strength within a culture - not unlike Titans, Senators, or Cowboys). Names that depict entire tribes/nations (Illini, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc) are perhaps a little less distinctive, but still are not steeped in stereotypes (very similar to Montreal’s hockey team or Houston’s football team). Names like Indians are a little more ambiguous - I don’t believe it is a cultural slur, but the arguments against it hold a little more water than the others.
Redskins fan here. Spot on. There’s a difference.

Is it just an urban myth that the Braves were originally named after the Boston Tea Party participants (who had dressed as Native Americans)? The team of course originally was based in Boston
http://teamnameorigin.com/mlb/nickname/atlanta-braves

The current Atlanta Braves franchise was originally located in Boston and created by a group of former Cincinnati Red Stockings players in 1871. They didn't get too creative with the name in that they called this new team the Boston Red Stockings. They did eventually change the nickname to the Red Caps, and later to the Beaneaters, due to the area's famous Boston Baked Beans.

James Gaffney bought the team in 1912, and adopted the nickname Braves for his new team after the Native American symbol used for his Tammany Hall political group Gaffney was associated with. The organization relocated to Milwaukee in 1953, and finally to Atlanta in 1966 but always retained the Braves name.

Right, the origins were with Tammany Hall politicians

Names that depict entire tribes/nations (Illini, Blackhawks, Seminoles, etc) are perhaps a little less distinctive, but still are not steeped in stereotypes (very similar to Montreal’s hockey team or Houston’s football team).

The Blackhawks are NOT named after a tribe. They are named after the 86th Infantry Division. The 86th was nicknamed the Blackhawk division after the Sauk Chief named Black Hawk. The Blackhawks team founder served in the 86th and adopted the name for his team. They were actually called the Black Hawks until 1986.

Placating pussies has a better ring to it

That’s what America has become. Anything to be seen by the world on social media that “I am sensitive, politically correct, and therefore on the “correct” side of the argument.” Sell out, give up, but be seen as “correct”.

I hate U.S.

Reactions: Ski and Phil's Rug
The folks who would really have a beef are the Trojans. Good thing they are no longer around.

images

FWIW, I was not being facetious. Troy no longer exists and so no one would really be around to be offended.

But Sparta is a real existing city and there are people alive today who are "Spartans". I doubt they take much offense to the sports teams with the name, but it's the same kinda thing as "Irish" (though on a smaller city scale compared to a country). Most people from the Laconia region of Greece refer to themselves as "Spartan".

The Blackhawks are NOT named after a tribe. They are named after the 86th Infantry Division. The 86th was nicknamed the Blackhawk division after the Sauk Chief named Black Hawk. The Blackhawks team founder served in the 86th and adopted the name for his team. They were actually called the Black Hawks until 1986.
So they ARE named for the tribe, just in a round about way.

Reactions: MJG-90
That's some infantry commander on their sweaters:cool:

That’s what America has become. Anything to be seen by the world on social media that “I am sensitive, politically correct, and therefore on the “correct” side of the argument.” Sell out, give up, but be seen as “correct”.

I hate U.S.
We have a few like that on this board...they are just such better people than the rest of us (or so they think).

Do you think the mob cares about a difference? It’s not about fixing anything or making anyone feel better, it’s about taking power and the more they get the more they will take. All Indian names will be on the chopping block.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT