ADVERTISEMENT

So who will Cael choose?

This could be a valuable data point for sure, although other posters have made insightful comments about how the value of wrestle-offs can be negated, especially between familiar wrestlers. This raises a more fundamental question for me. As best I can tell, the claim circulating about Shak winning a recent wrestle-off traces back to Christian Pyles. Has this been corroborated by a reliable second source? How trustworthy is Pyles on such matters?
I dont think that Pyles would out and out lie--so the question is how reliable is his source.

I thought that, too. But apparently Gravina at Rutgers has already received his additional year, which would make the above inaccurate.

Love the NCAA's flexible rule book.
Except for Gravina's own words, I've never heard of the NCAA being "flexible" with the Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Waiver Request can't be submitted until near the end of a student-athlete's 5-year window, and that's how I've always heard it was done. Also have the words, straight from a coach we all admire, that they can't request the waiver until a wrestler nears the end of the fifth year.

But matter is right...the words from the scarletnation.com article were "Gravina was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, meaning he still has two more years to wrestle as a Scarlet Knight."

Except for Gravina's own words, I've never heard of the NCAA being "flexible" with the Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Waiver Request can't be submitted until near the end of a student-athlete's 5-year window, and that's how I've always heard it was done. Also have the words, straight from a coach we all admire, that they can't request the waiver until a wrestler nears the end of the fifth year.

But matter is right...the words from the scarletnation.com article were "Gravina was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, meaning he still has two more years to wrestle as a Scarlet Knight."

Thats poor reporting. The 6th year wasn't granted until earlier this year (his 5th year) and thereffore 2 more years meant this year and next.

This is Gravina's 5th year in the program, sounds like you can apply for the 6th year sometime during the 5th year.

The NCAA rule book is not flexible, only its application at times, see UNC fake courses and no penalty. Also, at times the criteria for getting a 6th year seems to be inconsistent too.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Is Cutch definitely out for the season?

Despite the obvious need to sort out the post season, I was hoping to see him get one more match at Rec Hall on Senior Day.
I too expected his to get his one shot on Senior Day but maybe not, probably not considering Cael's quote.
A high school classmate of mine was the wrestling team while we traveled through PSU back in the day and he got one shot to wrestle on his Senior Day. I know different management is in charge but that was a very considerate and rewarding move by the coach for four years of hard, uncomplaining work. He Won the match to boot!!!

Reactions: diggerpup
I too expected his to get his one shot on Senior Day but maybe not, probably not considering Cael's quote.
A high school classmate of mine was the wrestling team while we traveled through PSU back in the day and he got one shot to wrestle on his Senior Day. I know different management is in charge but that was a very considerate and rewarding move by the coach for four years of hard, uncomplaining work. He Won the match to boot!!!
I'm thinking that Cutch is not physically able to wrestle, and that it's a moot point. Don't know anything for sure, though.

I'm thinking that Cutch is not physically able to wrestle, and that it's a moot point. Don't know anything for sure, though.
I'm sure you are correct. That is the info I've been hearing lately. Sad, he really gave it all for Old State. Great guy. Wish his last match wasn't so long ago.

Reactions: Ski and T J
I'm sure you are correct. That is the info I've been hearing lately. Sad, he really gave it all for Old State. Great guy. Wish his last match wasn't so long ago.
Me too. Cutch had an incredible number of great wins for a guy that never AA'ed. Absolutely incredible that he would end up #3 on the depth chart. Nice to know, though, that even injured, he's been a key man on the team!!

FWIW, On the T-Row & Funky podcast this week, Ben (I think) first of all said the Moore was definitely NOT sick against PSU, but the week between PSU and Mich Tan Tom gave him most of the week off and told him to come back when he was rested (I think, without listening again). He supposedly took most of the week off and looked much better against Michigan.

FWIW, On the T-Row & Funky podcast this week, Ben (I think) first of all said the Moore was definitely NOT sick against PSU, but the week between PSU and Mich Tan Tom gave him most of the week off and told him to come back when he was rested (I think, without listening again). He supposedly took most of the week off and looked much better against Michigan.
I think that was also said during the tv broadcast.
Mills

Sunderland did something similar for Mark McNight after a disappointing BigTen performance and he looked great at NCAAs taking 4th. Something to be said for getting the opportunity to recharge your batteries.

Reactions: nitlion6
I thought that, too. But apparently Gravina at Rutgers has already received his additional year, which would make the above inaccurate.

Yes. The old policies required waiting until the end of eligibility.

Iirc, the NCAA now evaluates situations earlier. It helps to overcome bad timing issues.

An example is in football. If a player finishes his eligibility his final year, and then applies for another year, the team may not be able to recruit his replacement during the normal recruiting/signing period. The student/athlete can't join into active job placement, if his final year of eligibility is still in doubt.

As such, the NCAA now allows for earlier applications for an additional year, to help the student/athletes and the teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Love the NCAA's flexible rule book.
It is the secret "Rutgers clause" .... The BIG Messed up so bad bringing in the NJ school,that we should bend rules to get at least one of their teams "above average"

Edit: I forgot a winkie face...didn't mean to set the thread on fire :(...

Last edited:
Reactions: funkisfun12
It is the secret "Rutgers clause" .... The BIG Messed up so bad bringing in the NJ school,that we should bend rules to get at least one of their teams "above average"
I dunno, I think they'd be willing to put up with a LOT of mediocrity for that TV Market....

hey, the big/ncaa helps out PSU too. Pretty sure your football program deserved the death penalty. Except $ > *

I dunno, I think they'd be willing to put up with a LOT of mediocrity for that TV Market....

Bingo!

While the BT schools have a lot of alumni in the NYC TV market, the BTN couldn't get deals done to get regular paying cable /satellite subscribers in that #1 TV market.

It appears that adding Rutgers as an additional outlet for local viewers, who could also attract local advertising, helped to finalize the impacts at the margin where the deal was completed. (Interaction with YES and other factors were also involved, of course)

In the end, getting a small BTN revenue stream from the #1 market NYC Metro, #8 market D.C., and the #20 something market Baltimore were big reasons why the BT wanted to add MD and Rut. Collectively that is a lot of revenue.

Plus Neb has traditionally been one of the top 5 (or 10) TV viewer teams. (May have slumped a bit lately) While Neb is a moderate market, at one point they became the top team for some 3 plus million viewers in the plains and mountain states. Even better than a similar sized metro market, their viewers tended to be highly loyal, with a higher percentage of regular viewers. That made Neb an extremely valuable team, from a TV market access point of view. Again, at one point Neb was perhaps the overall #3 or #4 TV team, right there near Penn State.

Interesting that Penn State and Neb joining the BT brought in two teams that were in the Top 5 range for viewers. Both teams were traditionally ranked higher for viewers than any of the BT teams, including tOSU & Mich.

Times change and viewer habits change, but the BT took action to set up mega big average yearly revenue streams for their schools, which are above the averages of any other conferences.

The new TV mega-contracts and greatly improved revenue for every BT member school, reflect the wisdom of adding all of the teams beyond the original ten.

This is all extremely important for so-called non-revenue stream sports like wrestling. Wrestling tends to lose money at schools every year. Generally, the yearly shortfalls from wrestling have to be funded out of the Athletic Dept budgets.

The extra mega money the BT schools get from the BTN/TV contracts every year, can go a long way toward providing upgraded facilities, better coaches and better travel budgets, etc. for sports like wrestling.

To me it makes sense why the BT has the strongest wrestling conference. It starts with tradition of course. The conference has a good to strong base of wrestling in BT state high schools. Then add on an extra cushy layer of Athletic Dept funding from the BTN and TV contracts that are on average, a good bit above every other P5 conference average.

Imho... Your mileage may vary. ;)

Note: As always, any comments, modifications or updates are welcome!

Last edited:
Bashing "that NJ school" is pretty silly since the media market (as posted) is huge and the money helps everyone. Lets not expect adults to collectively ignore financial ramifications. You think it was a mistake letting RU into the Big Ten, fine. Propping up the program (which I don't think they do) is a mistake? Go for it. But its always about the money. Even for PSU.

Yes. The old policies required waiting until the end of eligibility.

Iirc, the NCAA now evaluates situations earlier. That overcomes bad timing issues.

An example is in football. If a player finishes his eligibility his final year, and then applies for another year, the team may not be able to recruit his replacement during the normal recruiting/signing period. The student/athlete can't join into active job placement, if his final year of eligibility is still in doubt.

As such, the NCAA now allows for earlier applications for an additional year, to help the student/athletes and the teams.
Good -- the NCAA finally does something in the best interest of the athletes. Surprising as it is.

Beard grayshirting tells me the coaches feel pretty good about one of the 197s getting a 6th year.

Reactions: T J
Bashing "that NJ school" is pretty silly since the media market (as posted) is huge and the money helps everyone. Lets not expect adults to collectively ignore financial ramifications. You think it was a mistake letting RU into the Big Ten, fine. Propping up the program (which I don't think they do) is a mistake? Go for it. But its always about the money. Even for PSU.

To perhaps be more accurate, "that NJ school" is not "the market." They are next to "the market."

The BTN also got linked to the NYC sports teams, via YES. That is also another big part of the total package. You get one, plus the other. That's an attractive package for that market.

So consider that all of the BT teams' content collectively brought bigger servings of cake and ice cream to the Metro market. "That NJ team" added some colored sprinkles to the top, which made a nicer presentation. But it's still the huge servings of cake and ice cream (the very attractive BT content overall) that was the driving content they wanted to consume, not the sprinkles.

Just sayin... ya know?

Your mileage may very.

Last edited:
I think Shak found this in his locker yesterday.

nVyncU2.jpg

Seriously, I made a joke in poor taste about Rutgers... still bitter at how the Suriano situation transpired... suspicious appearance of recruiting our athletes, rules waived, Cael trashes by the N.J. press. I didn’t mean to start a maelstrom.

Last edited:
Seriously, I made a joke in poor taste about Rutgers... still bitter at how the Suriano situation transpired... suspicious Appearance of recruiting our athletes, rules waived, Cael trashes by the N.J. press. I didn’t mean to start a maelstrom.
No need for you make jokes about Rutgers. They have an athletic department that will do that all on their own, no assistance required.

I really think there are two banjos, the reasonable one and the asshat that comes out in some threads!
Dueling Banjos?
He is at strike eight, end of inning looms. He can try for a walk or go down swinging but he should know the ramifications of quoting Big refs, in game 2012 and good Ole Lou Anne Simon from MSU, big's top hater having a closet filled with skeletons of sex abuse crimes.

hey, the big/ncaa helps out PSU too. Pretty sure your football program deserved the death penalty. Except $ > *
Can you cite the NCAA rule that was broken by the PSU football program. Hint, the NCAA could not either. PSU football was penalized because PSU voluntarily did it, NCAA was more than happy to jump on the PR express. NCAA looks really good right now considering what we have learned about Mark Emmert's knowledge about the abuses at MSU. Notice, NCAA has not looked at Baylor, another hint for you, crime does not fall under the NCAA's jurisdiction.

Penn State's television ratings for football dwarfs Rutgers' in the NYC market and has forever. I bet if you looked at Michigan's NYC ratings, they do as well. Indeed the Big Ten was doing very, very well in the NYC market long before the conference was expanded. That said, it is reasonable to conclude Rutgers adds enough additional value - particularly in NJ - that it made financial sense to add them.

ADVERTISEMENT