ADVERTISEMENT

So who will Cael choose?

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
A quote from the Daily Collegian RE 197:

“While Sanderson still didn't offer an explicit name, he did say that whoever goes on Sunday will be ‘the guy’ for the Big Ten and NCAA tournament.” (http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_38e2fe22-1123-11e8-95f0-3b689eb04697.html)

So, who do you think Cael will choose/has chosen. Not asking who you think he SHOULD choose or hope he chooses, since just about everyone on this board has weighed in on that. My head tells me it will be Sugar Shak but my gut tells me Cael goes with Cassar and reverts to his choice earlier in the season (and the guy who just knocked off #1).

Last edited:
My gut says Shak. I think the potential for bonus points and his consistency this season is what will get him the nod. Cassar has been consistent other than 1 tournament but he hasn't always pushed for bonus on lesser opponents

I hope it is Shak, due to his bonus potential. Shak is quick and good on his feet and on top and can turn and pin. Cassar is more than solid and it great on his feet but seems to have lapses and lacks of ability to turn and pin. PS may have the 2 best 197s in the country. I would hate to be Cael and have to tell one of these fine young men, they aren't going to wrestle.

Reactions: tabenn
Is Cutch definitely out for the season?

Despite the obvious need to sort out the post season, I was hoping to see him get one more match at Rec Hall on Senior Day.

Despite the obvious need to sort out the post season, I was hoping to see him get one more match at Rec Hall on Senior Day.

I believe he had surgery a few weeks ago, believe he was in a sling for tOSU and out for Iowa, but doubt it is up to the rigors of wrestling yet. But I am certainly not a doctor.....

I saw him on TV with his arm in a sling recently (either OSU or Iowa or both), so my guess is that he is done

My lean would be Shak. He has shown great bonus point potential and with the Iowa match he can also go hard for 7 minutes. Cassar just as capable tho - man what a tuff spot to be in.

I saw him on TV with his arm in a sling recently (either OSU or Iowa or both), so my guess is that he is done

Right arm/shoulder were in a sling for tOSU dual. Didn't notice at the Iowa dual but I didn't really look since it was obvious he was done for the season. Lot of tough luck with injuries for Matt.

Right arm/shoulder were in a sling for tOSU dual. Didn't notice at the Iowa dual but I didn't really look since it was obvious he was done for the season. Lot of tough luck with injuries for Matt.
He took the sling off at the Iowa dual, I believe, for the odd/even toss...had it back on while in the wrestlers seating area.

How much does "next season" factor in? Both of these guys are underclassmen, right? Does Cael even consider long term here? Or does he view the long term as a series of short terms? Put another way, does one of these guys have more upside than the other and if so, does Cael factor that in since there is a chance the "loser" may feel he doesn't have a future in the lineup?

... does Cael factor that in since there is a chance the "loser" may feel he doesn't have a future in the lineup?

Yes. I’m assuming the one who doesn’t get the bid leaves the program. Impossible for me to imagine Cael not taking that into acct.

This would have to be a very hard decision. They are pretty equal in talent, although IMO Rasheed is more polished/complete. And both have significant injury histories. Although Cassar doesn't seem to have had any setbacks this year. Maybe wrestling every other match has protected them both.

Cael will choose the guy he thinks will earn the most team points at the National Tournament. I'm not being snarky...he has to remove himself from this being a personal matter, and make it a sort of business decision. Risk/reward and all that enters the picture, as it's future-looking...and no person I know can see into the future.

Hey TX, nice member photo! It took me a while to realize I was seeing the flag of Texas, and a nice weathered one at that. Great job!

Reactions: PSUbluTX
It would be nice to loan one and loan Cortez to northwestern or Nebraska to take away some other peoples points.

Reactions: T J
Cael will choose the guy he thinks will earn the most team points at the National Tournament. I'm not being snarky...he has to remove himself from this being a personal matter, and make it a sort of business decision. Risk/reward and all that enters the picture, as it's future-looking...and no person I know can see into the future.

With all due respect, didn't Cael set up this run of success by redshirting his studs and handing a team title to tOSU? I think he is always looking towards next year.

How much does "next season" factor in? Both of these guys are underclassmen, right? Does Cael even consider long term here? Or does he view the long term as a series of short terms? Put another way, does one of these guys have more upside than the other and if so, does Cael factor that in since there is a chance the "loser" may feel he doesn't have a future in the lineup?

When Cael burned Lee's shirt he signaled that he was going all-in for this year. Likewise, I suspect his decision at 197 will be based on potential points for this year.

Zain's Sr year, with a chance for his 4th team title, I can't fathom Cael doing anything else.

My opinion, the difference between the 2 is that Cassar is looking to win, Shak is looking to pin and that will be the difference maker in determining who starts (aside from the fact that Shak won the wrestle-off).

Shak is a junior, Cassar is a sophomore. Problem is Cassar withdrew a year from school to rehab his shoulder, his five year clock is ticking. Unless the NCAA grants Cassar a 6th year which cannot be applied for until after his 5th year on the clock, then he too only has one year left.

Shak has said if he is not the starter he will transfer for his last year. To my knowledge, Cassar has not said anything about his plans, possibly he has not been asked in an interview setting. Since Cassar did lose 2 years to injury, he would seem to be a strong candidate to receive a 6th year. Possibly that factors into his decision to stay/go if not the starter.

I would think that which ever one is not the starter will be transferring, type 5 wrestlers are too good to watch.

My opinion, the difference between the 2 is that Cassar is looking to win, Shak is looking to pin and that will be the difference maker in determining who starts (aside from the fact that Shak won the wrestle-off).

Shak is a junior, Cassar is a sophomore. Problem is Cassar withdrew a year from school to rehab his shoulder, his five year clock is ticking. Unless the NCAA grants Cassar a 6th year which cannot be applied for until after his 5th year on the clock, then he too only has one year left.

Shak has said if he is not the starter he will transfer for his last year. To my knowledge, Cassar has not said anything about his plans, possibly he has not been asked in an interview setting. Since Cassar did lose 2 years to injury, he would seem to be a strong candidate to receive a 6th year. Possibly that factors into his decision to stay/go if not the starter.

I would think that which ever one is not the starter will be transferring, type 5 wrestlers are too good to watch.

I must have missed it. When did Shak say he would transfer if he wasn't the starter?

Shak or Cassar - I have to say it, but given their history, my primary concern is that whomever, he makes it through two grueling tourneys injury free.
My money is with Sugar getting the nod. If we could morph the two into one we would have NC no question.

I have been searching for a while for a copy of the Shak vs Darmstadt match he lost 8-4 at the bearcat open but can't find it on YouTube, flo or elsewhere. Anyone know of a link where I can find one?

Banjo: With all due respect, didn't Cael set up this run of success by redshirting his studs and handing a team title to tOSU? I think he is always looking towards next year.

I think Nico wanting a shirt forced his hand.

There were several factors (and Cael knows the full story) in the decision to RS guys that year. There was giving Nico an extra year of training to win a title; there was giving Zain a year to mature (and not possibly go against Stieber). We had the 3 N's, but only one of them could have realistically made a difference for the team--Nolf at 157. We had Brown at 174 (who won the title) and Lawson at Hwt (who ended up 5th or 6th). And even at 157, we had Dylan Alton who had proven his potential, and possibly could repeat that if healthy. So, it's an overstatement, I think, to just say we just RS'ed a bunch of studs to prepare for the future.

As many of us heard, in one of Shak's post-match interviews a few weeks ago, he said that many had advised him to transfer, but he wasn't going to, because to be the best you have to beat the best. He implied that his plans were to stick with PSU. That could change of course, but he's on record as having said that--when his position on the team was still in doubt.

Banjo: With all due respect, didn't Cael set up this run of success by redshirting his studs and handing a team title to tOSU? I think he is always looking towards next year.

There were several factors (and Cael knows the full story) in the decision to RS guys that year. There was giving Nico an extra year of training to win a title; there was giving Zain a year to mature (and not possibly go against Stieber). We had the 3 N's, but only one of them could have realistically made a difference for the team--Nolf at 157. We had Brown at 174 (who won the title) and Lawson at Hwt (who ended up 5th or 6th). And even at 157, we had Dylan Alton who had proven his potential, and possibly could repeat that if healthy. So, it's an overstatement, I think, to just say we just RS'ed a bunch of studs to prepare for the future.
Dylan looked good that year and had a good showing at the scuffle but then had his shoulder go out later in the year. Andrew was also coming back from injury and just didn't get there, would imagine Cael wasn't handing anything to OSU but counting on points that didn't come due to injuries

The decision is rather easy. You go with Rasheed. Tough luck to Cassar, but this is not a close call at all.
If it was easy the decision would have been made already. AC's reattack is out of bounds, and he wins without relying on his rediculous double. It had looked like the cut affected him in some matches. Shak seems to be able to finish his single on anyone with a craddle right after. Both guys are deserving and I'll be rooting for either one come march.

We all acknowledge that this is a very difficult decision for the coaching staff. I'm sure one of the items that does way heavy on them is there conviction that both of these wrestlers are strong AA candidates at both tournaments. They understand that the wrestler not chosen will be denied a legitimate chance to AA; that understanding must make them sick. This is an incredibly tough decision; fortunately we've got the right coaches to navigate that decision.

I would give the nod to Shakur. He won't be fighting weight during a tournament. If it was a dual, Cassar
How would the coaches handle it if they both want to stay? Can they withdraw scholarship money?

I would give the nod to Shakur. He won't be fighting weight during a tournament. If it was a dual, Cassar
How would the coaches handle it if they both want to stay? Can they withdraw scholarship money?

Can they and should they are different. Cael has a stellar reputation. If word got out he withdrew a team player's scholarship money it will hurt him down the road. I wouldn't be too thrilled as a parent sending my kid to PSU knowing the coach will not only recruit kids at the same weight, but will also screw up my family's financial planning by messing with scholarship dollars.

Reactions: ccdiver
ADVERTISEMENT