ADVERTISEMENT

So what would you bid?

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Saturday night, after the Blue-White game, I attended a Special Olympics event hosted by SuePa. Every year I've attended this event, there have been quite a few items available for silent auction. This year, one of the auction items was a combo package -- a PSU wrestling headgear signed by Coach Sanderson, and a PSU B1G Dual-Meet Champions visor that was also signed by Coach. The minimum bid was $50. Somebody put in a bid for $55, and somebody else upped that with a bid of $80. That was about half-way through the event. I was hoping to see what the combo package went for, but I got involved in multiple conversations, and wasn't near the auction sheets when the silent auction ended. So I have no idea how much money this package raised.

Keeping in mind that this was a fundraiser, if you had been in attendance at the event, what would you have bid for this package?

Reactions: hlstone
I tend to go with the flow on bidding wars in charity auctions, I'm not going to raise the bar $100 if the next bid is $75

for common items with a signature by Cael, let's say $350 for the lot would be my high mark, appropriately bidding of course ...

I tend to go with the flow on bidding wars in charity auctions, I'm not going to raise the bar $100 if the next bid is $75

for common items with a signature by Cael, let's say $350 for the lot would be my high mark, appropriately bidding of course ...
I get this... I am always torn between supporting a charity to the max that I can afford vs outbidding someone for something they might really want alot more than I do. I already have some Cael and team signed stuff - I'd hate to out bid someone who might have wanted to give to their kids or something.

funny story in relationship to what you stated.

One of the items in the auction was a black and white drawing of JoePa. I've seen copies of this picture before. If I recall correctly, it was drawn by someone that used "409" in various heights in a creative way to draw JoePa. I'm not sure if this drawing was the original, or a signed print copy.

Trustee Anthony Lubrano has a lot of JoePa memorabilia, but doesn't have this picture, and decided he wanted it. He bid multiple times for the item. When they announced there was 1 minute left in the auction, he found that his previous bid had been topped. So he upped the highest bid by $100. Sometimes, when you really want something at a silent auction, you have to take an aggressive approach.

I believe that trustee Lubrano got the drawing, but I didn't verify that with him before he left.

Visor ?? Blah ....

Although the signed headgear is super cool.

I’d bid $100, and keep upping incrementally until about $200.

If the headgear was what Bo was wearing when he pinned MyMar, I bet we'd all pay substantially more. I'm guessing that would bring something in the $500 to $1,000 range, though not from me, what with two daughters getting married this year.

If the headgear was what Bo was wearing when he pinned MyMar, I bet we'd all pay substantially more. I'm guessing that would bring something in the $500 to $1,000 range, though not from me, what with two daughters getting married this year.
double congrats!!

I would have bid $500 for the headgear, but subtracted $50 because visors are lame.
Yeah, lame.
Anna+Kournikova+in+a+ponytail+and+white+visor+during+Wimbledon+2010.JPG

abfb1b3c67e3ff27d2c5f6b688b2fd5d.jpg

Reactions: hlstone
I would bid $250, then my wife would take her white-out out of her purse and eliminate my bid. She would rather bid and leave the item behind. I can't overcome her two questions. Why do you need it and where would you put it. That is why I sleep with Cael's Wheaties Box under my pillow.

I married an antihoarder.:(

I would bid $250, then my wife would take her white-out out of her purse and eliminate my bid. She would rather bid and leave the item behind. I can't overcome her two questions. Why do you need it and where would you put it. That is why I sleep with Cael's Wheaties Box under my pillow.

I married an antihoarder.:(
Well, the headgear can be worn at all times to show support for PSU wrestling. Morning, noon, and night.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Jason Nolf could use it. I think in one of Tikk's photos, the closeup showed his was well used. I was surprised based on how little time it is used in matches.

ADVERTISEMENT