ADVERTISEMENT

So watch and listen here to final drive, nothing negative from Herbie!

The bitch on Herbie's broadcast bias is a reach predicated on his top 4 poll where he dropped us. Whatever he said on the air or how he said it did not foreshadow that he was going to drop us. I thought he was pretty positive toward us - especially Barkley.

Paaaaalease stop! Like I mentioned in the herbie thread some of you are acting like pitters. It opens at the end of the 10 min video so just scroll it back to the beginning!

I've seen his shtick before. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you. Herbie talks up teams if it will ultimately help OSU..and talks down teams if it will ultimately help OSU. He's about as two faced as they come.

I've seen his shtick before. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you. Herbie talks up teams if it will ultimately help OSU..and talks down teams if it will ultimately help OSU. He's about as two faced as they come.
But a higher ranked PSU is better for OSU before we play them, win or lose!

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
The bitch on Herbie's broadcast bias is a reach predicated on his top 4 poll where he dropped us. Whatever he said on the air or how he said it did not foreshadow that he was going to drop us. I thought he was pretty positive toward us - especially Barkley.

He dropped PSU because he has to do something to get attention and keep people talking about his list. If he didn't drop one team and put a new team in there no one talks about it. It's a media thing....really, people need to get over it.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and PSUzu
Paaaaalease stop! Like I mentioned in the herbie thread some of you are acting like pitters. It opens at the end of the 10 min video so just scroll it back to the beginning!

If you think our gripe is with his overtly 'being negative' towards Penn State you're not paying attention. Herbie is smarter than that.

Reactions: LionJim
Who cares about Herbie. He's not that bad. Everyone knows he went to OSU. Whining about dropping in his poll seems kind of lame to me. All we should be worried about is our team beating his exteam on the field. I was freezing my butt off last year at the OSU game and was very happy he was there to witness their demise. Hopefully he gets to watch it again. Be happy the PSU players won the Iowa game, be worried about the O-line because they got worked hard by Iowa and need to improve. Keep improving moving ahead. Columbus will be a huge challenge regardless.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and PSUzu
Penn State does not pass the eye test. Who said that last season?

They got rolling at the end of the season, but at times they didn't. That's what we are hanging onto?

I don't think Iowa was as good as everyone thinks. The had a couple big plays on offense to keep them in it, but other than that did crap. When you are able to dominate yardage like that and run the ball but not punch it in, that's what you get. These guys need to pick it up if they want to pass the eye test this year.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Announcers come into every game with a talking point/agenda and they stick to it through the end. For Penn State they were going to focus on Barkley and Moorehead and they did it all game long. They talked up Jewell and his "battle" with Barkley but never mentioned all the times that Barkley just ran past him b/c Jewell was part of the Iowa narrative.

I can't be offended by broadcasters. They are essentially actors talking off of the provided script.

Reactions: LionJim
They got rolling at the end of the season, but at times they didn't. That's what we are hanging onto?

I don't think Iowa was as good as everyone thinks. The had a couple big plays on offense to keep them in it, but other than that did crap. When you are able to dominate yardage like that and run the ball but not punch it in, that's what you get. These guys need to pick it up if they want to pass the eye test this year.
The team has lots of games left to pass any eye test. Same can be said for almost every team. It learned how to win, last season. Now, it is learning to win when the target is on them.

Quite frankly, that would have been a legitimate quote on Sat. night. The inability to convert field position into points should concern everyone. The win was exciting and a big relief. It shouldn't camouflage the shortcomings that were quite evident.

Why do people care what this cartoon character says either way, especially so early in the season? Even if he gets a vote in the poll, it's only one. If we win all the games, then no talking head could keep us out. If we lose one or two, then the human factor comes into play, and they may choose someone else. That's just the flaw of the current system. How can people possibly have so much time on their hands to debate this dumb topic?

Quite frankly, that would have been a legitimate quote on Sat. night. The inability to convert field position into points should concern everyone. The win was exciting and a big relief. It shouldn't camouflage the shortcomings that were quite evident.
No question. My comment was regarding Herbie's rather obvious lobbying for tOSU last fall, by denigrating Penn State.
Frankly, between the tens, I like the RPO. Inside the ten, not so much. Just me. I watch Whitehall on Friday nights. Same thing. Even with Barkley, it was to often a struggle.

Again, Herbie will be effusive in his praise of PSU until we lose. He wants nothing more than an undefeated PSU to roll into the Horseshoe and lose to tOSU. That way he can put tOSU into his top four and say the Buckeyes passed the eye test.

Herbie's master plan is clear.

Did OU pass the eye test after giving up 41 to
winless Baylor? Must have.

Reactions: Madsol

Not so sure about that. For whatever reason Kinnick at night is a nightmare for ranked teams. Just ask Michigan, a team that was loaded with senior talent. There's something about that place that Iowa just plays crazy good at night for big games. I think it show's were better than we think we are being able to come out of there with a win.

Not so sure about that. For whatever reason Kinnick at night is a nightmare for ranked teams. Just ask Michigan, a team that was loaded with senior talent. There's something about that place that Iowa just plays crazy good at night for big games. I think it show's were better than we think we are being able to come out of there with a win.

I think it was something like the past 5 top 5 ranked team to play there at night lost. So yeah, I would argue just about any team in the top 5 would struggle vs. Iowa at night at Kinnick.

Reactions: Gnat91
Again, Herbie will be effusive in his praise of PSU until we lose. He wants nothing more than an undefeated PSU to roll into the Horseshoe and lose to tOSU. That way he can put tOSU into his top four and say the Buckeyes passed the eye test.

Herbie's master plan is clear.
Does he want PSU to be undefeated when we roll into their house - yes.
Does he want OSU to beat us - yes.
Does he want OSU to be in the top four at season end - yes.
So how is this any different than what we want for Penn State?

It's different for us because none of us pretends to be objective. Herbie does and he uses his position as a public sports guru to advance an agenda he claims not to have.

Why do people care what this cartoon character says either way, especially so early in the season? Even if he gets a vote in the poll, it's only one. If we win all the games, then no talking head could keep us out. If we lose one or two, then the human factor comes into play, and they may choose someone else. That's just the flaw of the current system. How can people possibly have so much time on their hands to debate this dumb topic?

Here's why, talking heads influence the vote and the fact that there is a behind the scenes vote to determine the top four for a playoff is abysmal. Include the top 16 or at least eight to eliminate the eye test bias that influences the vote. Ridiculous set up to determine a champion, why not just go back to voting for the winner. At least we did get a real top team last year and not a buckeye fake winner.

Reactions: Gnat91

Because none of us are national sports broadcasters that should be neutral. Herbie's a broadcaster that wears his bias on his sleeve. I don't think he could make it anymore obvious if he tried.

It's different for us because none of us pretends to be objective. Herbie does and he uses his position as a public sports guru to advance an agenda he claims not to have.
So you're saying Herby shouldn't have the human frailty that we have? Maybe he should be an automaton.

Because none of us are national sports broadcasters that should be neutral. Herbie's a broadcaster that wears his bias on his sleeve. I don't think he could make it anymore obvious if he tried.
Your perspective differs from mine. Nothing he has ever stated, that I have heard, is indefensible. Do you know that 30 of the 61 AP voters have us ranked at 5 or lower? Maybe those 30 also have a bias.
medium-smiley-012.gif

So you're saying Herby shouldn't have the human frailty that we have? Maybe he should be an automaton.

With Herbie, it isn't a matter of human frailty. He has an agenda that he tries to obscure by pretending to be objective. He's disingenuous.

Reactions: Option Bob
Spot on EPC FAN. Let me just add, Herby is nervous because PSU poses a serious threat to OSU, himself, espn, and the college football playoff committee member osu AD Gene Smith. The powers to be are in place to get OSU in the playoffs but PSU stands in their way

Spot on EPC FAN. Let me just add, Herby is nervous because PSU poses a serious threat to OSU, himself, espn, and the college football playoff committee member osu AD Gene Smith. The powers to be are in place to get OSU in the playoffs but PSU stands in their way

Herbie wants PSU to win up to the OSU game. That is why he is rooting for the Lions. If OSU wins
out, the are in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT