ADVERTISEMENT

So....was I being over cautious or uncaring?.....

I thought this matter was done, but I see these posts pop up, so I will respond.

If I saw a child get physically abused, I would step in. Since this was a grocery store, if some cans fell on a kid's head, I would have helped immediately.

But that is not what happened. The facts presented in my original post are the pertinent facts relative to the issue at hand. And I stand by my statement - I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to defend myself against some perception by others. It's a no win situation.
So it was the right result, wrong rationale imo. Not intervening b/c the situation didn't warrant it would be reasonable. Not intervening b/c of a perceived chance of blowback, no bueno imo.
Fair enough. We disagree

So it was the right result, wrong rationale imo. You didn't get involved b/c the situation didn't warrant it would be reasonable. You didn't get involved b/c of perceived chance of blowback, no bueno imo.
Fair enough. We disagree
Fair enough. I make decisions on what I feel is best for me. You make decisions for what you feel is best for you.

Reactions: cavic
I thought this matter was done, but I see these posts pop up, so I will respond.

If I saw a child get physically abused, I would step in. Since this was a grocery store, if some cans fell on a kid's head, I would have helped immediately.

But that is not what happened. The facts presented in my original post are the pertinent facts relative to the issue at hand. And I stand by my statement - I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to defend myself against some perception by others. It's a no win situation.

Yo (insert relevant colloquial term), you little jack wagons! Quit it! Can't you see your pissing off the (censored).

So it was the right result, wrong rationale imo. Not intervening b/c the situation didn't warrant it would be reasonable. Not intervening b/c of a perceived chance of blowback, no bueno imo.
Fair enough. We disagree

you are wrong here. there are people out there that literally purposefully set things up to sue people who are 'good Samaritans' per se. I have seen it with my own two eyes. Saw parents drop off their kid at practice, young girl about 5 years old on a cheerleading youth team. The kid had to goto the bathroom but the parents were nowhere around to be found so the coach took her to the bathroom. Parents then sued the coach as they said the coach inappropriately touched their child in the bathroom. I know the coach and know it didn't happen. Turns out the mother of the parent was a para-legal and this was the THIRD lawsuit she had going on all with very similiar situations. She purposefully 'walked away' knowing her kid would have to goto the bathroom and coach would take her. there are sick people out there.

• Angry
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Scenario:

I was the grocery store yesterday....

While walling around picking up a couple of things, I see three kids - two girls and a boy, between the approximate ages of 6-10. The two girls are about 6 and 8 and the boy is about 10. The 8 year old girl is crying and raising holy heck at her brother, who I had noticed was teasing her unmercifully. She is screaming at her brother that "she hates him, she is not talking to him, etc."

So, I see these kids as I walk around the store - and the 8 year old is not letting up. Every time I see them I steer well far away from this situation.

A few minutes later I was at the ATM and some woman stops and tells me that she saw me and that I was uncaring about the kid's welfare. I told her "I am a middle aged guy - someone sees me within 10 feet of crying kids, there is good chance I am getting accused of something and I am getting arrested". She muttered some nonsense under her breath and walked away.

I wouldn't post this here, but it bothered all evening - I did not see any adults near the kids, so I have no idea why they were there by themselves (or at least no adults near them).

Question:

So - over cautious or uncaring? Or both?
Neither. You handled it correctly.

Personally, I'm a 7-12 grade teacher. I don't interact with kids in that age range when they are alone in public (unless if it is a student from my school and they are being a jerk... This has certainly happened before, hahaha), let alone a stranger who is even younger.

It doesn't take much for a spliced video and the court of public opinion to make things needlessly hard for you. Some people love to call solo middle-aged men predators without adequate information. It stinks, but it's the reality.

In a similar (or not so) similar vein of topic :

I had an out of town job for National Park Service. Employee and I working at a closed facility but public could hike in a short hike to the historic site at the time . So we spent about 3 weeks there. Towards the end of our gig my employee finds a pair of binoculars on a picnic table. They were nice ones .....I told him I had a pair just like them.

Somehow since that trip I cannot find my binos. I have checked a lodge we were staying at , a boat captain we were out with etc.. It didn't register to me that they could be mine cause it took me some time to realize mine were gone. And also why were they out of my vehicle ? There is a chance I left them on a different picnic table unknowingly. Our vehicles were also wide open at times with school kids milling about.

So 3 weeks later I think they are mine and he thinks he scored a nice pair of binos . Hmmmmmmmm The coincidence seems to weird. And what happened to my case? I told him I thought they were mine today. I also know I appreciate them alot more than he does ( the are my a+ hunting ones).........so hmmm do i offer him some finacial deal . Pay him 1/2 the cost ? Or just say I lost them.

In a similar (or not so) similar vein of topic :

I had an out of town job for National Park Service. Employee and I working at a closed facility but public could hike in a short hike to the historic site at the time . So we spent about 3 weeks there. Towards the end of our gig my employee finds a pair of binoculars on a picnic table. They were nice ones .....I told him I had a pair just like them.

Somehow since that trip I cannot find my binos. I have checked a lodge we were staying at , a boat captain we were out with etc.. It didn't register to me that they could be mine cause it took me some time to realize mine were gone. And also why were they out of my vehicle ? There is a chance I left them on a different picnic table unknowingly. Our vehicles were also wide open at times with school kids milling about.

So 3 weeks later I think they are mine and he thinks he scored a nice pair of binos . Hmmmmmmmm The coincidence seems to weird. And what happened to my case? I told him I thought they were mine today. I also know I appreciate them alot more than he does ( the are my a+ hunting ones).........so hmmm do i offer him some finacial deal . Pay him 1/2 the cost ? Or just say I lost them.
Interesting. If he was just your friend, I would say talk to him about what you just said here. However, since he is your employee, things are a bit more gray (employee-employer relationship).

I think that explaining what you just explained to us, to him, and offering half of the cost to him (maybe could be a business write-off, anyway), as a legit offer that he can decline or accept and not a "I want those back, so here is half the money" could work.

Or, have you thought about explaining this to your employee, and then asking your employee what they think is fair when it comes to cost?

Or, another option is to just eat the cost of a new pair and finagle it into a business write-off.

Maybe you should have enlisted the woman to hold down the kids while you spanked them. Would that be woke or un-woke. I get confused.

Maybe you should have enlisted the woman to hold down the kids while you spanked them. Would that be woke or un-woke. I get confused.
Not sure about the level of wokeness, but I think Trevor Bauer would agree with the premise.

Scenario:

While walling around picking up a couple of things, I see three kids - two girls and a boy, between the approximate ages of 6-10. The two girls are about 6 and 8 and the boy is about 10. The 8 year old girl is crying and raising holy heck at her brother, who I had noticed was teasing her unmercifully. She is screaming at her brother that "she hates him, she is not talking to him, etc."

So, I see these kids as I walk around the store - and the 8 year old is not letting up. Every time I see them I steer well far away from this situation.

A few minutes later I was at the ATM and some woman stops and tells me that she saw me and that I was uncaring about the kid's welfare. I told her "I am a middle aged guy - someone sees me within 10 feet of crying kids, there is good chance I am getting accused of something and I am getting arrested". She muttered some nonsense under her breath and walked away.

I wouldn't post this here, but it bothered all evening - I did not see any adults near the kids, so I have no idea why they were there by themselves (or at least no adults near them).

Question:

Oh God. I’ll probably have to take a course on this now within the next year.

Scenario:

Question:

NOPE....
Stay away from all kids when out and about, some of those 10 yr olds are very street smart and can play you.

I give exception to a mother with a baby in the shopping cart, if the baby looks pleasant, numerous occasions I have approached the baby and tried to have them smile or laugh
😜 jackpot if a pretty grandmother is babysitting

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT