ADVERTISEMENT

So last year we went to fiesta rather than cotton bc osu had gone to fiesta...

ritaith

Nov 8, 2001
The year before. I wonder whether that may impact our chances of a ny6 this year since I doubt fiesta would want us back to back.

Thoughts?

Not sure it can happen but I think the peach would be a great fit this year.

The year before. I wonder whether that may impact our chances of a ny6 this year since I doubt fiesta would want us back to back.

Thoughts?

Not sure it can happen but I think the peach would be a great fit this year.
My expectation is if we finish 9-3, which we should, we'll go to the Citrus Bowl and play a school like Florida or Miss State. I don't think that PSU will make a NY6 bowl this year even if it finishes 9-3 and, quite frankly, it doesn't deserve to go to one when you lose to an eminently beatable OSU and decimated MSU both at home. The Michigan disgrace also negatively will affect this.

Reactions: odshowtime
$$$$. I think the fiesta would love is back. Weren't we the highest rated non playoff bowl?

There may be rules from the B1G. we will come in, probably, fourth in the league behind OSU um nw and msu.

$$$$. I think the fiesta would love is back. Weren't we the highest rated non playoff bowl?

There may be rules from the B1G. we will come in, probably, fourth in the league behind OSU um nw and msu.

Only bowl specific rules for the ny6 are related to the Rose Bowl and orange. The rose is simply they must replace big ten team that makes the playoff with another big ten team, doesn't even need to be the #2. The orange just guarantees 3 appearances over the current contract term.

https://grfx.cstv.com/photos/school...c_non_event/Bowl_Determination_Procedures.pdf

We will come in right behind Michigan and Ohio State, as long as we don't crap the bed and lose to Rutgers or Maryland.
  • Michigan State is currently 6-4 (4-3 in Conference) with games left against Nebraska and Rutgers. Could see them either finishing 8-4 (6-3) or 7-5 (5-4) with possible loss to Nebraska who has improved.
  • Northwestern is currently 6-4 (6-1 in Conference) with games left against Minnesota, Illinois, and Michigan/Ohio State (B1G Championship). Could see them either finishing 8-5 (8-2) or 7-6 (7-3) with losses in B1G Championship and possibly Minnesota.
We should finish at 9-3 (6-3), and with Bowl Games revolving around $$$, definitely think we have the advantage of both Northwestern and Michigan State.

My money is on a Citrus Bowl appearance against Florida or Kentucky who should win out their last 2 games to finish 9-3 as well.

We will come in right behind Michigan and Ohio State, as long as we don't crap the bed and lose to Rutgers or Maryland.
  • Michigan State is currently 6-4 (4-3 in Conference) with games left against Nebraska and Rutgers. Could see them either finishing 8-4 (6-3) or 7-5 (5-4) with possible loss to Nebraska who has improved.
  • Northwestern is currently 6-4 (6-1 in Conference) with games left against Minnesota, Illinois, and Michigan/Ohio State (B1G Championship). Could see them either finishing 8-5 (8-2) or 7-6 (7-3) with losses in B1G Championship and possibly Minnesota.
We should finish at 9-3 (6-3), and with Bowl Games revolving around $$$, definitely think we have the advantage of both Northwestern and Michigan State.

My money is on a Citrus Bowl appearance against Florida or Kentucky who should win out their last 2 games to finish 9-3 as well.

Fiesta would be great due to the payout, but back to back to back trips out West adds up money wise. I was fortunate enough to see both the Rose and the Fiesta in person, and if we're invited to either of those games this year it's a tough sell for me and a lot of the others whom went in our group, to make another trip for the third year in a row to see a team that didn't win the division, conference, and has 3 losses.

The majority of our fans are obviously on the East Coast... If we somehow got into the Peach Bowl for the first time ever, I could see that being a great draw for Penn State. The Rose and Fiesta would be great, but if you didn't go the last two years, I doubt you're choosing this season to be the year you splurge... This season feels a lot like 2002. . basically we won the games we should have and lost to or stumbled to victories VS teams who were better or equal).....

Some Peachy Paterno would hit to spot right about now...... Too soon?

Reactions: step.eng69
The B10 has zero to do with the NY6 (they will have some influence with NON-NY6 bowls with B10 tie-ins).

PSU will - if they win their last two - be the third B10 in the pecking order (unless NW wins the CCG - which would slot PSU as fourth).
MSU is now completely irrelevant vav the NY6 (after their loss to OSU)

ESPN cares about ratings..... the "Bowls" could care less (they are concerned with visitors and tourism $$$, if anything)

Umm you like to read BOT minutes and the like read this.

https://bigten.org/documents/2018/11/5/2018_Bowl_Determination_Procedures.pdf

The phrase will not is there. I am told this refers to CFP bowls. Meaning the playoffs. Not NY6

Fiesta would be great due to the payout, but back to back to back trips out West adds up money wise. I was fortunate enough to see both the Rose and the Fiesta in person, and if we're invited to either of those games this year it's a tough sell for me and a lot of the others whom went in our group, to make another trip for the third year in a row to see a team that didn't win the division, conference, and has 3 losses.

The majority of our fans are obviously on the East Coast... If we somehow got into the Peach Bowl for the first time ever, I could see that being a great draw for Penn State. The Rose and Fiesta would be great, but if you didn't go the last two years, I doubt you're choosing this season to be the year you splurge... This season feels a lot like 2002. . basically we won the games we should have and lost to or stumbled to victories VS teams who were better or equal).....

Fiesta Bowl payout is around the same as the Citrus, maybe even a little less. And since it gets split 14 ways, a school is better off financially staying home. But don't tell that to the Indiana Fatses of this world. ONION.DIP! :eek:

Bowls Penn State will NOT go to:
  • Orange Bowl - CFP Semi-Final
  • Cotton Bowl - CFP Semi-Final
  • Fiesta Bowl - "Big Ten schools will not go to the same bowl in back-to-back years (except for Rose Bowl and CFP bowls), and restrictions on multiple and/or consecutive appearances within states or regions."
  • Sugar Bowl - SEC vs Big 12
  • Rose Bowl - Michigan or Ohio State probably. Could be Northwestern if they pulled off a B1G Championship upset.

Bowls Penn State could possibly go to (IMO likely order):
  • Citrus Bowl - Big Ten vs SEC - Think most likely spot. Guessing Penn State vs Florida, Kentucky, or Mississippi State
  • Peach Bowl - If Penn State sneaks into a NY6, it will be this one. PSU will have to hope to jump a few spots to get here over the next 3 weeks (Florida, Texas, Syracuse, etc.)
  • Outback Bowl - If somehow Northwestern or Michigan State got the Citrus Bowl bid instead of PSU OR if somehow Northwestern pulls off the biggest upset in B1G Championship Game history, then it's NW going to the Rose Bowl and a trickle down effect with Michigan and Ohio State ahead of Penn State...Don't believe likely, but never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Penn State still mathematically could end up in the Rose. Better be a big Maryland fan this week though.

Otherwise the B1G has no authority over the NY6 bowls. Only their contracted bowls can they tinker with to avoid repeats. There's nothing stopping the Fiesta from picking PSU again.

Bowls Penn State will NOT go to:
  • Orange Bowl - CFP Semi-Final
  • Cotton Bowl - CFP Semi-Final
  • Fiesta Bowl - "Big Ten schools will not go to the same bowl in back-to-back years (except for Rose Bowl and CFP bowls), and restrictions on multiple and/or consecutive appearances within states or regions."
  • Sugar Bowl - SEC vs Big 12
  • Rose Bowl - Michigan or Ohio State probably. Could be Northwestern if they pulled off a B1G Championship upset.

Bowls Penn State could possibly go to (IMO likely order):
  • Citrus Bowl - Big Ten vs SEC - Think most likely spot. Guessing Penn State vs Florida, Kentucky, or Mississippi State
  • Peach Bowl - If Penn State sneaks into a NY6, it will be this one. PSU will have to hope to jump a few spots to get here over the next 3 weeks (Florida, Texas, Syracuse, etc.)
  • Outback Bowl - If somehow Northwestern or Michigan State got the Citrus Bowl bid instead of PSU OR if somehow Northwestern pulls off the biggest upset in B1G Championship Game history, then it's NW going to the Rose Bowl and a trickle down effect with Michigan and Ohio State ahead of Penn State...Don't believe likely, but never know.

Fiesta is a CFP bowl.

Huh?

Not sure what you are getting at.
Yes, I've read that stuff before...… the B10 involvement stuff has to do with the NON-NY6 Bowls (Citrus on down, if you will)

The Rose takes the B10 Champ (unless the Rose is a "playoff" site"), or selects another B10 team if the B10 Champ goes to the "playoff"

The NY6 is the NY6 - and doesn't involve the B10 vav "selections". B10 has nada to do with that.
There is nothing in that "B10 Release" about the Sugar, Fiesta, or Peach (the other NY6 Bowls)…… because the B10 has nothing to do with that (that is all "Selection Committee" tasks)

The rest of the stuff is the non-NY6 B10 tie-in bowl set up.

Right?

Can you read the top half... "will not"play in a bowl back to back years unless it is the rose or CFP.

Are we going to the rose?
Are we in the the CFP?

Then according to that selection process we will not be in the Fiesta Bowl because it says there are only two exceptions to the rule.

Stewart Mandel has us going to the Peach Bowl to play WVU. I think that would be an interesting match up, would get to see just how bad the Big 12 defenses are and how good the offenses are...

The “CFP” - in that context - covers all the NY6 Bowls.

It’s not that unclear...... but feel free to ask me if I “can read” again. :)

I don’t know what else to tell ya’

Nor do I care to.

Well you couldn't read in another post when you were asked what the going rate is per square footage of office space in state college during one of you temper tantrums over Ira.

If your right I ll let punch me in the dick at the next trustee meeting that I'm at. Deal?

Is it ... or is it defined this season as NY6 because it does not host a CFP

Go to the College Football Playoff site and see if you can find a definition, even a mention, of the term "New Year's Six."

As the selection committee is bound to place the highest ranked teams in what you call the NY6. the Big Ten is not in a position to override them because of some agreements they have with organizing committees of a bunch of meaningless (to everyone but college presidents and ADs who will never pass up the opportunity to hold court even if it's in Detroit the day after Christmas) games.

Go to the College Football Playoff site and see if you can find a definition, even a mention, of the term "New Year's Six."

As the selection committee is bound to place the highest ranked teams in what you call the NY6. the Big Ten is not in a position to override them because of some agreements they have with organizing committees of a bunch of meaningless (to everyone but college presidents and ADs who will never pass up the opportunity to hold court even if it's in Detroit the day after Christmas) games.

I'm in 100% agreement with you I just don't understand why Penn States own people would say things that would lead ppl to conclude otherwise. Maybe it's the alcohol talking at the Nittany Lion Inn

Oh, Jeebzus....... why didn’t you make it clear up front - - - that you were a hopeless case :(

Thanks for wasting my time...... it’ll be the last

In the meantime, feel free to punch yourself in the dick - - if that’s your thing (I appreciate your offer - but that is more than a bit too “familiar” for my tastes...... not that there is anything wrong with that :) )

If you see me - which I kinda doubt - let me know, and I’ll give you a free swift kick in the nuts (out of the kindness of my heart).

I’ll give you multiple kicks in the nuts, at a discounted rate of $10 per nut kick - for additional whacks.

You welcome...... and enjoy your masturbatory nut attack.
Bless your heart.

Still not going to give the office rent numbers? No wonder you never win a seat on the board. You are just like onion dip.

Can you get your leg high enough to kick someone in the nuts?

The offer stands... see ya around.

Atlanta in Dec/Jan a good draw?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT