ADVERTISEMENT

So I happen to stumble upon Dinnich last night

sss

Jun 5, 2001
while scrolling through channels last night. First thing I notice, we have to sit here and listen to some "analyst" with braces mispronouncing words and trying like crazy not to drool on herself tell us about who the best teams are. Do they not do forehead reduction surgery? Then she mumbles that she just got off a conference call with the CFP head (forget his name), and he said they moved Miami up because they showed that "championship quality" by coming back and beating a bad UVA team at home. Getting down to a bad team and coming back was more impressive than Clemson mauling a bad Citadel team. They have been impressed by Miami being able to win may close games this year.

Does anyone remember when PSU was dogged for years for winning close games with great defense? Thank God we had the chance to play the #1 team in 1986 or that would have been another lost shot like the 70s, 1994 and 2016. When will we ever get a real playoff? Imagine the NFL if we just picked the best teams, on-field results be damned. Think there would be some outrage? If you take all the CFB talk shows off of ESPN and FOX, what would be left? Lots of unimportant, worthless jobs could be gone.

while scrolling through channels last night. First thing I notice, we have to sit here and listen to some "analyst" with braces mispronouncing words and trying like crazy not to drool on herself tell us about who the best teams are. Do they not do forehead reduction surgery? Then she mumbles that she just got off a conference call with the CFP head (forget his name), and he said they moved Miami up because they showed that "championship quality" by coming back and beating a bad UVA team at home. Getting down to a bad team and coming back was more impressive than Clemson mauling a bad Citadel team. They have been impressed by Miami being able to win may close games this year.

Does anyone remember when PSU was dogged for years for winning close games with great defense? Thank God we had the chance to play the #1 team in 1986 or that would have been another lost shot like the 70s, 1994 and 2016. When will we ever get a real playoff? Imagine the NFL if we just picked the best teams, on-field results be damned. Think there would be some outrage? If you take all the CFB talk shows off of ESPN and FOX, what would be left? Lots of unimportant, worthless jobs could be gone.

"If you take all the CFB talk shows off of ESPN and FOX, what would be left? Lots of unimportant, worthless jobs could be gone."

A playoff will never happen. For the same reason we will never, ever be able to "simplify" the tax code. Too many jobs at stake... too many lawyers (and accountants) needing to 'make bank'.

To get a "real" playoff which most say includes 16 (or whatever) conference champions - that means all conference champions must be on level terms

So the winner of the sunbelt AAC and Conf USA are on the same level as winner of Big Ten SEC and Big 12.

Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Dinich tries so hard but really is lacking in both sports knowledge and in debate skills. So she just comes off looking like a political correct woman hire to put on the talking head shows.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
To get a "real" playoff which most say includes 16 (or whatever) conference champions - that means all conference champions must be on level terms

So the winner of the sunbelt AAC and Conf USA are on the same level as winner of Big Ten SEC and Big 12.

Not gonna happen.

No... what it takes is a system that places the top 16 by a system with some integrity the playoff. An composite system might work if varied ranking systems had some validity. The ranking systems however can not include the press with university or conference affiliations or head coaches that don't have time to do it and above all not a committee of biased jerk-off conference bureaucrats. It would take some work, but it is not impossible.

Reactions: dogwood3131

CFP head? Bill Handoncock. Really nice guy, stoopider than shit.

Reactions: jim cummings
I think 16 is to large. Not all conferences deserve a chance. you would have 3rd place conference teams in there. It would cheapen the regular season. The ideal playoff (in my mind)
8 teams
1) All p5 champs (as long as they are ranked) - the caveat would prevent a team from being 7-5 from sneaking in (and that can happen). If a Conference champ is not ranked - the highest ranked team in the conference would get in. If none are ranked they lose the bid for this season
2) The best non p5 Champion gets in (if ranked). This year would be UCF
3) 2 Wildcards (Must either lose their conference title game or be second in the division that won the Title game (ie. if OSU wins the BIG - PSU or Wisconsin could be selected as Wildcard. If Wisconsin wins - OSU or NW could be selected). If the 2nd place team lost to the other division winner - then they can't be selected over them (since we didn't play UW we would be fine). I know this is confusing - but the point is to find the best 2nd place teams (and in reality in the BIG it is either UW/PSU (if OSU wins out) and the SEC it would be Auburn/Georgia (if Bama wins out)/etc. If they played head to head - it helps determine it.

This will give us 8 teams.
The 1st round game will be hosted by Higher seed.
The 2nd round game will be at the higher seed's host bowl (should be somewhat neutral as the difference between top 4 is very subjective).
No Wildcard (except ND if they were top 4) can host a 1st round game
Rankings of teams will include a few factors
1) Wins (obviously)
2) SOS with OOC games weighted more. You can't necessarily control who you play in conference - but you can in the OOC. This should also include WHERE the game is played. Home games are weighted less than Neutral sight games which are less than Away games

This will encourage more top OOC matchups. This will also encourage H-H knowing that you get an edge for traveling.
Top teams would schedule 1-2 top games yearly knowing a loss won't kill their playoff hopes - but can help.

The regular season would matter. Seeding would be much more important than now. Right now the difference between 1-2 is fairly meaningless. The difference between 2-3 is color of jersey. But the difference would be huge. Imagine playing UCF vs USC/etc. It could also be the difference between hosting say USC vs having to travel to Camp Randall.

Not gonna happen.

But that is in fact the way to a true playoff.

The smaller conferences just need to start their own playoff of conference champions and end up with a winner. Declare that winner the national champion and invite any conference to sign up.

I'd watch a four team playoff of smaller conferences

AAC vs. MWC
MAC vs. Sun Belt

And the winners of each face eachother. Play the first games on campus.

It would be considerably more interesting than most of the bowls.

LdN

Reactions: Option Bob
But that is in fact the way to a true playoff.

The smaller conferences just need to start their own playoff of conference champions and end up with a winner. Declare that winner the national champion and invite any conference to sign up.

I'd watch a four team playoff of smaller conferences

AAC vs. MWC
MAC vs. Sun Belt

And the winners of each face eachother. Play the first games on campus.

It would be considerably more interesting than most of the bowls.

LdN

I like this idea for the most part, except that you're leaving out 1 G5 conference... in your example above, the C-USA. (Unless you're implying the best-ranked G5 team is in the 'other' "invitational" if it expands to 8).
There would have to be a way to ensure the four best get to this point. The Sun Belt has been the weakest of the G5 over time; that can change at any time.

This idea could still incorporate some of the current bowls. It is a good starting point for discussion.

I like all the bowls - I'm a college football fan, and the bowls are just another avenue for me to enjoy more college football. They are mostly exhibitions, most with minor impact on final rankings. So I don't care about the merits of being invited with a .500 record.... it's another often interesting game to enjoy.

I like this idea for the most part, except that you're leaving out 1 G5 conference... in your example above, the C-USA. (Unless you're implying the best-ranked G5 team is in the 'other' "invitational" if it expands to 8).
There would have to be a way to ensure the four best get to this point. The Sun Belt has been the weakest of the G5 over time; that can change at any time.

This idea could still incorporate some of the current bowls. It is a good starting point for discussion.

I like all the bowls - I'm a college football fan, and the bowls are just another avenue for me to enjoy more college football. They are mostly exhibitions, most with minor impact on final rankings. So I don't care about the merits of being invited with a .500 record.... it's another often interesting game to enjoy.

That's a good point that I left out a conference, so they can make it 6 teams.

The important part is that they keep the games to a minimum so as to not get in the weeds with the NCAA.

Perhaps a play in game for the conferences without a championship game (during the championship game weekend) and have 6 teams total (independents perhaps).

The goal is to create a playoff that flips the bird to the current setup.

This would allow a team like Boise to declare themselves national champions.

And again, leave it open to any conference champion to join. So that if the BIG and SEC pass, which they will, there's no excuse for them.

LdN

Reactions: Bob78
Call me crazy, but I still think she is cute...

FLAG!

You’re crazy!

But at one moment in time a while back, I thought she was maybe sorta cute in her own way.....but when I learned the first words out of her mouth were ALWAYS “Ohio State”, I left her for ericstrattan-rushchairman.

FLAG!

You’re crazy!

But at one moment in time a while back, I thought she was maybe sorta cute in her own way.....but when I learned the first words out of her mouth were ALWAYS “Ohio State”, I left her for ericstrattan-rushchairman.

She's from Pennsylvania and graduated from Indiana, why would the first words out of her mouth be "Ohio State"?

Time to pull the plug. The movie Idiocracy is a work of fiction.

[QUOTE=" Do they not do forehead reduction surgery? "

This quote brought back the movie version of Mystery Science Theater 3000, which spoofed the bad sci-fi flick This Island Earth. In the film, the aliens had huuuuuge foreheads. :D

Not gonna happen.

i hope it doesnt happen. the ncaa bb tourney has teams playing that would wind up in the cellar of the BIG. sorry i do not want to see the Sun Belt champ get an AQ bid to CFB championship. i would not mind 5 champs of P5 and 3 at large as a max. although i have to say any team with 3 or more losses has no business in the playoff.

It doesn't matter how it's done as long as we come to a system that has a specific criteria eventually. Even the at large or wild card spots need a reasoning behind them or else you are back to the beautiful pony show we currently have where OSU is getting in as long as they don't lose more than two games.

i hope it doesnt happen. the ncaa bb tourney has teams playing that would wind up in the cellar of the BIG. sorry i do not want to see the Sun Belt champ get an AQ bid to CFB championship. i would not mind 5 champs of P5 and 3 at large as a max. although i have to say any team with 3 or more losses has no business in the playoff.

Why not? The poll system is based on relative success not absolute success.

Realign the 11 conferences into 8. Each conference would have about 16 teams. Then the 8 conference WINNERS advance to the playoff with seeding determined by rankings. No lucky losers invited. Win or go home. Every game means something and leads to a champion on the field. What a concept. Winning should matter. No eye tests allowed.

Call me crazy, but I still think she is cute...

I recall how that anti-abortion dude, Eric Rudolph, after the Olympic bombing in the 90’s, fled into the woods and survived there five years. After he was captured, he allowed as to how, after all that time, some of the animals there had started looking “cute” to him.

Personally, I think most women have a quality of cuteness. Or at least potential cuteness. Some may need to subtract 20 or so years and 20 or so pounds, but still, the potential is (or was) there. Heather definitely passes the test, as far as I’m concerned.

Realign the 11 conferences into 8. Each conference would have about 16 teams. Then the 8 conference WINNERS advance to the playoff with seeding determined by rankings. No lucky losers invited. Win or go home. Every game means something and leads to a champion on the field. What a concept. Winning should matter. No eye tests allowed.
Not that simple to realign the conferences. Gonna get all the conference commissioners to buy j to it? Along with the presidents?

Not that simple to realign the conferences. Gonna get all the conference commissioners to buy j to it? Along with the presidents?
Never said it was easy just that it solves all these problems and it actually makes it a championship decided on the field of play. It will happen some day but I'll probably be long dead.

Never said it was easy just that it solves all these problems and it actually makes it a championship decided on the field of play. It will happen some day but I'll probably be long dead.
The question that needs to be answered-will this bring in more money than the current system? If yes then yes. If no then no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT