ADVERTISEMENT

So here it is ..... my 10,000th post on the McAndrew Board....

CF LION

May 29, 2001
I guess it’s probably taken me longer to reach this milestone than most. I’ve been on the board since Day 1, I think. Way back in the plotit days I was ChaddsFordLion and then shortened my moniker to CF Lion. Didn’t post that much back then either, but enjoyed staying up on all things Penn State by reading posts from Tom McAndrew, UncleLar, ChiTown Lion, Happy John, Bernie, SRATH, Charm City Lion, sg out west, ChrisNit80, CoastFan and many, many others. Checking out the board developed into a nearly daily habit. I know some of you still post here, perhaps under different names.

That daily habit carried over to the McAndrew Board. There are many, many posters here that I really get something from daily – advice, information, validation, laughs … and cyber camaraderie. I’d list you all personally, but I’d likely fail to recognize some of you. There is a lot of knowledge, wit and wisdom on this board. Unless I’m on vacation or otherwise can’t access the internet, not a day goes by that I don’t check in at least once.

I’ve gotten tons of advice here on everything from grills to cars to pools to guitars. And if it weren’t for this board I’d not know nearly as much about music, movies, pop culture. The “OT” topics that we discuss here are endless and it seems that we’ve got experts or at least someone that has dealt with just about everything.

Who’s the hottest polls, Weekend Jukebox, Tom’s history lessons and the old Mr. C’s Trivia have been some of my favorite regular board features.

There are some things that have happened in my life, both good and bad, that I’ve shared here. Most of you won’t remember this, but I shared the story of my niece who passed away in 2001 from brain cancer. She was a student at PSU, had a seizure in her dorm room and was found by her roommate. Blue and White blood pulsed through her veins. She was buried in her favorite Penn State Sweatshirt. I printed out all of the kind words and posts from the board and gave them to her mom. She cried reading them…. that strangers and fellow Penn Staters could be so kind and offer such sincere condolences on an anonymous message board. This was before Facebook so seeing something like that was unique and unusual, I guess.

In a strange coincidence, in 2015 my wife was diagnosed with brain cancer after she had a seizure while we were on vacation. I spent the next year leading up to her death in hell. I had endless visits to Penn and this board was one of my main sources of distraction while sitting in the hospital. When my wife passed, I let you all know and the notes of sympathy that many of you wrote were some of the most touching expressions I received, even from my closest friends.

Though more in line with the normal course of expected life events, my dad passed last fall and once again I shared that here. Again, the kind words were helpful and really nice to read.

There were happy moments that this board helped create in some way too. Last year I sought some on-line, second-time around dating advice. Some of the things I read I remembered and implemented. Also got some excellent advice on restaurants for a first date in Doylestown last December. That date went extremely well and she and I are still together. We are having our first Thanksgiving together tomorrow.

I guess there has been some sort of therapeutic need for me to post these things…. venting, expressing grief, sharing happiness and joy. It’s cheaper than paying $175/hr. for a therapist.

It’s perfect timing that my 10,000th post can be made the day before Thanksgiving. I’d just like to thank you all for, well, being whomever you are and being part of this community.

Have a really wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

I guess it’s probably taken me longer to reach this milestone than most. I’ve been on the board since Day 1, I think. Way back in the plotit days I was ChaddsFordLion and then shortened my moniker to CF Lion. Didn’t post that much back then either, but enjoyed staying up on all things Penn State by reading posts from Tom McAndrew, UncleLar, ChiTown Lion, Happy John, Bernie, SRATH, Charm City Lion, sg out west, ChrisNit80, CoastFan and many, many others. Checking out the board developed into a nearly daily habit. I know some of you still post here, perhaps under different names.

That daily habit carried over to the McAndrew Board. There are many, many posters here that I really get something from daily – advice, information, validation, laughs … and cyber camaraderie. I’d list you all personally, but I’d likely fail to recognize some of you. There is a lot of knowledge, wit and wisdom on this board. Unless I’m on vacation or otherwise can’t access the internet, not a day goes by that I don’t check in at least once.

I’ve gotten tons of advice here on everything from grills to cars to pools to guitars. And if it weren’t for this board I’d not know nearly as much about music, movies, pop culture. The “OT” topics that we discuss here are endless and it seems that we’ve got experts or at least someone that has dealt with just about everything.

Who’s the hottest polls, Weekend Jukebox, Tom’s history lessons and the old Mr. C’s Trivia have been some of my favorite regular board features.

There are some things that have happened in my life, both good and bad, that I’ve shared here. Most of you won’t remember this, but I shared the story of my niece who passed away in 2001 from brain cancer. She was a student at PSU, had a seizure in her dorm room and was found by her roommate. Blue and White blood pulsed through her veins. She was buried in her favorite Penn State Sweatshirt. I printed out all of the kind words and posts from the board and gave them to her mom. She cried reading them…. that strangers and fellow Penn Staters could be so kind and offer such sincere condolences on an anonymous message board. This was before Facebook so seeing something like that was unique and unusual, I guess.

In a strange coincidence, in 2015 my wife was diagnosed with brain cancer after she had a seizure while we were on vacation. I spent the next year leading up to her death in hell. I had endless visits to Penn and this board was one of my main sources of distraction while sitting in the hospital. When my wife passed, I let you all know and the notes of sympathy that many of you wrote were some of the most touching expressions I received, even from my closest friends.

Though more in line with the normal course of expected life events, my dad passed last fall and once again I shared that here. Again, the kind words were helpful and really nice to read.

There were happy moments that this board helped create in some way too. Last year I sought some on-line, second-time around dating advice. Some of the things I read I remembered and implemented. Also got some excellent advice on restaurants for a first date in Doylestown last December. That date went extremely well and she and I are still together. We are having our first Thanksgiving together tomorrow.

I guess there has been some sort of therapeutic need for me to post these things…. venting, expressing grief, sharing happiness and joy. It’s cheaper than paying $175/hr. for a therapist.

It’s perfect timing that my 10,000th post can be made the day before Thanksgiving. I’d just like to thank you all for, well, being whomever you are and being part of this community.

Back at you

Great post CF Lion, I am one of the OG Originals that you listed above albeit in a different handle now. #WeAre

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

^ Why this board is great - it’s members. Happy Thanksgiving CF Lion (and family/new gal pal)!

Hey, CF. It's great having you here. I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter, wife, and father. Sorry, but I was not aware. However, I do remember you asking about restaurants in Doylestown. It's great to hear that you and she are still together.

This is a great place. Sure, folks here disagree (sometimes a lot), but it is borne out of our love for Penn State. At least we can also have some fun here too.

Keep posting, please. :)

Glad to hear you have someone to share the holiday with. We have a lot in common and once in awhile it helps to share our life experiences. I guess what you and I have been thru in losing our spouses, is reflected in my sarcastic responses to posters who seem to think the score of a Penn State Football game is grounds for someones dismissal. Sometimes I wish I didn't have that perspective, but life can be pretty cruel.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me there are really good people on this board and its really not about football.

Last edited:

. Great post. Hope you have a great holiday season. Sorry to hear about your family members passing To me you seem like a great person to have a couple beers with. God bless you. And keep posting

Last edited:

There's an infinite number of things to do AFTER your first Thanksgiving dinner with that special someone. The choice is yours.

That being said, I would like to share one of my favorites.

Wow, that's amazing!

Very sorry to hear about the heartbreak but glad you're still trucking on and will have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

For what it's worth, your 10,000th post is the 1st one I've "liked." Not because I didn't like a whole bunch of others. I did. Just never got into the swing of things.

Anyway, God bless you and your family!

Great post, CF. Your posts are always thoughtful and I'm really sorry for the grief in your life. You have had some tough stretches. It is fun to remember past posters. I recall a crazy guy named Joe Gyzb who was a rabid Pitt hater. He was a clever guy and nearly all his posts had something to do with Pitt. There have been many other memorable posters, and you are one of them CF.

Congrats on the girl friend and your posting milestone.
I don’t post much but have been reading these boards back to the plotit(?) pages. The big time posters are mostly a joy to read. And some have thankfully moved on.
I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving with their friends and loved ones.
And I can say that this board, this group of Penn State fans is one of the things I can be thankful for, most of the time.
Enjoy!

source.gif

Been on the board since near the beginning plotit days. Don’t think I have near 10K posts, though. You brought back memories of a lot of the former posters who may have new handles or have migrated away.

Great post, but more boobs!:D

auto_0304-emily-insta-21523523730.jpg

Glad to hear you have someone to share the holiday with. We have a lot in common and once in awhile it helps to share our life experiences. I guess what you and I have been thru in losing our spouses, is reflected in my sarcastic responses to posters who seem to think the score of a Penn State Football game is grounds for someones dismissal. Sometimes I wish I didn't have that perspective, but life can be pretty cruel.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me there are really good people on this board and its really not about football.
You and I have our fair share of differences in opinion. I didn’t know your story, and I apologize if I’ve said something over the years.

I just wish I could give this multiple likes.

ADVERTISEMENT