ADVERTISEMENT

So, has Pat Chambers saved his job...

The only way Chambers was going to lose his job is if: a)he went ofer the Big Ten schedule; or b) manhandled a player again. His record over eight years is ample reason to can him, but it's unlikely to happen.

Chambers’ job was never in danger. We had a mediocre season which may be good enough to get him an extension (which says a lot about PSU and Men’s Basketball).

Well, I guess there is a chance that I leave my wife for a Victoria’s Secret model this spring too.

Really the existential question used to checkpoint where you are in life.

Are the odds greater that my current wife will herself become a Victoria's secret model OR that I could land one of the dozens of others existing in the world?

Macey-J-Foronda-for-BuzzFeed-309927.jpg

Reactions: Nittany Security
Really the existential question used to checkpoint where you are in life.

Are the odds greater that my current wife will herself become a Victoria's secret model OR that I could land one of the dozens of others existing in the world?
If I were landing Victoria’s Secret models, I probably would have bypassed the marriage thing for a while.

I imagine Mike returns. He doesn’t seem to be quite fully recovered yet. Lamar is likely gone...he has had a stellar year and the temptation will be high.
I agree about Mike. Haven't seen Stevens projection, but feels similar to Carr's so maybe seeing how that turned out he returns.

I agree about Mike. Haven't seen Stevens projection, but feels similar to Carr's so maybe seeing how that turned out he returns.
Lamar won’t get drafted. If he wants to get on with it, he can head to Europe and make some $. Very little chance next season would impact his non-existent NBA stock.

Mike is 23, and will be 24 in the fall. Same deal for him, he can make some $ in Europe. I think his age, and the fact he’s already spent four years on campus, makes him the more likely of the two to leave.

Chambers will return, but I think Stevens will leave for a chance to play professionally. I don’t think Mike is good enough to get picked up by any professional team, but he might try anyway. He wasn’t even a starter for us and he was very foul prone.

I imagine Mike returns. He doesn’t seem to be quite fully recovered yet. Lamar is likely gone...he has had a stellar year and the temptation will be high.
Where would Stevens be going? He is good but he isn't getting drafted by the NBA

Chambers will return, but I think Stevens will leave for a chance to play professionally. I don’t think Mike is good enough to get picked up by any professional team, but he might try anyway. He wasn’t even a starter for us and he was very foul prone.
“Any”?

He can certainly make $ playing basketball if he’d like. It’s the “where” and “how much” that’s in question.

Chambers probably will be back but I don't know that he has exactly saved his job. more like he has delayed getting fired until 2020

Primary reason would be age. Also, Mike would likely be closer to graduating.
For what it’s worth mike posted on Instagram on New Year’s Eve that this was his last year. (He also posted something similar last year before he got hurt)

Lamar won’t get drafted. If he wants to get on with it, he can head to Europe and make some $. Very little chance next season would impact his non-existent NBA stock.

Mike is 23, and will be 24 in the fall. Same deal for him, he can make some $ in Europe. I think his age, and the fact he’s already spent four years on campus, makes him the more likely of the two to leave.
Interesting tidbit Stevens is on pace to become PSU’s all time leading scorer. I did the math like a week ago and it was something like assuming he stays healthy, he’s need to average like 17ppg next year to break it.

Will not watch Psu basketball till he is gone
Hopefully that means we don’t have to read any more of your posts either... I’m not thrilled that we haven’t been to the tournament in 7 years but I will give Chambers credit for keeping this team together. I for one... do not want to start all over unless we can bring in a proven high profile coach. Sorry if I have serious doubts that this will happen... I’ll settle for Chamber’s ability to bring in some solid talent. Our recruiting for the past 3-4 years is at a much higher level than it was for the previous 20-30 years.

Hopefully that means we don’t have to read any more of your posts either... I’m not thrilled that we haven’t been to the tournament in 7 years but I will give Chambers credit for keeping this team together. I for one... do not want to start all over unless we can bring in a proven high profile coach. Sorry if I have serious doubts that this will happen... I’ll settle for Chamber’s ability to bring in some solid talent. Our recruiting for the past 3-4 years is at a much higher level than it was for the previous 20-30 years.

Every 10 years or so people want to uproot the program. What they don't realize, until they've seen it happen a few times, is that it gets way worse before it gets better. And when it gets better, it doesn't really get any better than it was before. We don't get homerun hires. This is why I sometimes wonder if the best move would have been to pay Dunn after he reached the Sweet 16, and just have continuity. That would not have been popular, but look what we've seen since.

Pat is doing a better job with recruiting than anyone else has (more because of where he is recruiting than ratings), but he is not as good at coaching. I think we should just go for continuity, and if there are investments in the program it should be to let Pat pay more for assistants.

Every 10 years or so people want to uproot the program. What they don't realize, until they've seen it happen a few times, is that it gets way worse before it gets better. And when it gets better, it doesn't really get any better than it was before. We don't get homerun hires. This is why I sometimes wonder if the best move would have been to pay Dunn after he reached the Sweet 16, and just have continuity. That would not have been popular, but look what we've seen since.

Pat is doing a better job with recruiting than anyone else has (more because of where he is recruiting than ratings), but he is not as good at coaching. I think we should just go for continuity, and if there are investments in the program it should be to let Pat pay more for assistants.

So how many years does it take for Chambers to climb out of mediocrity?

The way this team played its last 7 or 8 games was impressive. Unless you’re going to hire Rick Petino I would stay with coach Chambers.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT