ADVERTISEMENT

So does this win get us a NIT bid?

First round game against Pitt. Book it!!!

3dgrin.r191677.gif

I've checked a number of bracketology experts and they say No. It matters

little, however, since we'll win the next 3 and make the Big Dance.

Ya' never know til' ya' know.....

but earlier today (before todays PSU game) one of the NIT "bracketologists" had Minnesota in the NIT as a 6 seed.

Given that right now PSU and Minnesota have essentially identical resumes (with PSU getting a slight head-to-head edge due to sweeping the season series from Minny) I would have to assume PSU is right now likely in......but obviously until the NCAA makes their picks you don't know who is going to be in the field of teams for the NIT to pick from.

Pitt better hope not. Embarrassing them on the court is going to become as easy as it is going to be on the field.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: I've checked a number of bracketology experts and they say No. It matters

it seems that if we don't make the dance, we aren't getting to the NIT - even with 3 wins in the BIG. WTF!!!

if the top 64 ranked teams (approx.) get to the dance - (realize all the minor league champs complicate a bit), then the next 32 roughly would get to the NIT. since there is not league requirements, it would seem the NIT should be possible based on our computer ranking.

No one I've seen has us in. I don't think we make it even with a win

tomorrow. Let's face it. 4 conference wins in not a great resume. Neither is beating Nebraska. Iowa, OK, that's better, but still does not offset 14 conference losses.

Teams with "great resumes" don't make the NIT.....

they make the NCAA.

It's not the resume per se, it is how does it stack up against the other options that the NIT has available to select. There ain't 32 "good", let alone "great" resumes left after the NCAA selects.

With a loss tomorrow, I would expect PSU is on the "bubble" for the NIT.....and in that case it may come down to how the NIT thinks PSU would draw (attendance and ratings). Having PITT in the NIT may actually help PSU in that respect.
A win over Purdue? I can't imagine any way PSU doesn't make it.

Re: Teams with "great resumes" don't make the NIT.....

Originally posted by bjf1984:

they make the NCAA.

It's not the resume per se, it is how does it stack up against the other options that the NIT has available to select. There ain't 32 "good", let alone "great" resumes left after the NCAA selects.

With a loss tomorrow, I would expect PSU is on the "bubble" for the NIT.....and in that case it may come down to how the NIT thinks PSU would draw (attendance and ratings). Having PITT in the NIT may actually help PSU in that respect.
A win over Purdue? I can't imagine any way PSU doesn't make it.
That is not the problem. The NIT must take regular season conference champions that do not make the NCAA. Teams like South Dakota State, St. Francis Brooklyn, Buffalo, Charleston Southern, Green Bay, Illinois State, St. Mary's, etc. all will be in. It becomes a numbers game and 4 regular season conference wins is a lousy number.

This post was edited on 3/12 10:53 PM by fairgambit

I did not know that the NIT ever had any limitations involving league champs. I thought they just worked to get the next 32 teams based purely on level of play. PSU may have only had 4 wins in regular season, BUT those teams you refer to are playing in 3rd world conferences - most of the champs on those leagues would be lucky to win a couple games in the BIG.

one thing I like about CFB is we don't have to put up with those minor league teams.

Originally posted by blion72:
I did not know that the NIT ever had any limitations involving league champs. I thought they just worked to get the next 32 teams based purely on level of play. PSU may have only had 4 wins in regular season, BUT those teams you refer to are playing in 3rd world conferences - most of the champs on those leagues would be lucky to win a couple games in the BIG.

one thing I like about CFB is we don't have to put up with those minor league teams.
They changed the rules for this year to get smaller schools more exposure. One projection I saw had 13 of those small schools in the NIT field of 32. Another new rule is that the final 4 teams that do not make the NCAA get automatic #1 seeds in the NIT.

This post was edited on 3/12 11:42 PM by fairgambit

Originally posted by blion72:

In the mid-2000s, they changed the selection procedure. Before, the teams selected were mostly major college teams with big fanbases that weren't selected for the NCAA tournament, but the quality of play suffered because teams were selected based on fan support rather than skill. Now, as gambit said, a team who wins its conference's regular season championship but isn't selected for the NCAA tournament (in essence, is upset in its conference tournament) is invited to the NIT. So, the number of open spots ranges every year. So there will still be plenty of scoreboard watching; the fewer mid-major upsets, the better we stand for the NIT.

I do think if we win tomorrow, the point may be moot.

4 is definitely a lousy number. However, most of those NIT prognostications have Minnesota in. I'm not sure I get that. They did have 6 wins instead of 4, but now it's 7-6 in terms of overall big wins and PSU beat them twice. I want to see PSU get a home game against Pitt in the NIT. I think with a Purdue win they are surely in, and are probably a bubble team now. PSU vs. Pitt in at PSU would be a huge draw for the NIT.

Agree......

Unfortunately (or fortunately - with regard to PSU's chances of getting an NIT invite):

"PSU vs. Pitt in at PSU would be a huge draw for the NIT."

Would also hold true if the game was played in Pittsburgh (in fact, probably more so, given Pitt's attendance history vav Penn State)

The worst RPI team to get an at large bid last year was WVU

They were #87. Following our win over Iowa, we were #101. We still have work to do.

Re: If we get in...

Originally posted by Hartzie:
and if we play Pitt, the game will definitely be at The Petersen Center not the BJC.
Absolutely agree, and it would sell out.

Minnesota is the defending NIT champion

we are not going to get a bid over them.

I understand that these prognosticators aren't all-knowing and things will change over the next few days, but here's one guy's bracket. A win against Purdue should at least get us into the conversation for an NIT berth.

An NIT Bracket from Yesterday

ADVERTISEMENT