ADVERTISEMENT

So does Locks ever turn Maryland into a formidable opponent?

Jun 26, 2018
He is going to secure some high end recruits, guys that Penn State will want. I still expect us to win a majority of the recruiting battles but it will be harder. However, his on-the-field record is atrocious and if Maryland continues to struggle to get above .500 then I think a lot of the hype Maryland is getting right now will be gone within a year or two.

Reactions: BBrown
He is going to secure some high end recruits, guys that Penn State will want. I still expect us to win a majority of the recruiting battles but it will be harder. However, his on-the-field record is atrocious and if Maryland continues to struggle to get above .500 then I think a lot of the hype Maryland is getting right now will be gone within a year or two.
Here is what happens at UMD. There are 2 things that will happen.

1. He wins some games and does well, maybe plucks some recruits. After 2-3 years of that a big fish swallows him up and he is gone.

OR

2. He falls on his face like the last 3-4 coaches and will be fired in 5 years.

Take your pick...does either one concern you really?

Nope, I am not very concerned with Maryland challenging us on the field. I guess I am more concerned with the fact that the 2020 class is our chance to put together another top 5, maybe even a top 3 class, but if Maryland recruiting is surging at the time then that will become much more difficult.

Maryland football in the Big 10 is at best always going to be a slightly better version of PSU basketball, and I don't care who their head coach is. They've had some good players in recent years, and what have they done; they're like Pitt in that respect. The Steelers even drafted one of their safeties in the second round recently.

Considering that they play in a division with OSU, UM, MSU and PSU, how often do you think that they'll even finish in the top 3 of that division, let alone win it?

Maryland's biggest problem is probably the same as ours. They play in the B10 East. If that doesn't change, they're not getting much better, at least on a regular basis. We're better suited to handle the schedule than they are. Again, just my opinion.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I think the staff he is putting together is focused on keeping elite Maryland talent at Maryland. I think he will be mostly successful in the short term. It will come down to how he uses that talent. If Maryland doesn't win on the field then his sales pitch won't work too long.

Yea I pretty much agree. I think his hype will persuade some kids to go to MD. It looks like he's building his staff with guys that have ties to the area. (the former DB coach for RU for one).
And there is probably always about a 2 year bump recruiting wise for new coaches.
But if his (Locksley's) track record is any indication I don't think we have a lot to worry about.
And by "track record" I mean his not what he did under Saban. Hell any 10 from this board could probably do what he did under Saban. LOL.

Nope, I am not very concerned with Maryland challenging us on the field. I guess I am more concerned with the fact that the 2020 class is our chance to put together another top 5, maybe even a top 3 class, but if Maryland recruiting is surging at the time then that will become much more difficult.
His record as a HC is atrocious and I imagine will put him on a short leash. How many kids will sign up for 4 years with him if he comes out the gate with 4-5 wins next year? UMD like Pitt will always pull a few kids every now and then, but it's tends to be the exception to the rule.

1. He wins some games and does well, maybe plucks some recruits. After 2-3 years of that a big fish swallows him up and he is gone.

OR

and JMO but #2 has a far greater chance of happening than #1.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Maryland football in the Big 10 is at best always going to be a slightly better version of PSU basketball, and I don't care who their head coach is. They've had some good players in recent years, and what have they done; they're like Pitt in that respect. The Steelers even drafted one of their safeties in the second round recently.

Considering that they play in a division with OSU, UM, MSU and PSU, how often do you think that they'll even finish in the top 3 of that division, let alone win it?

That is a really good analogy.

Prior to joining the B10, UMd ICA was losing money in the "8 figure" range... each year. The University bailed them out with funding (which, at least at the time, was done under the premise that it would eventually be paid back)
Prior to joining the B10, UMd was not only cutting sports (I think they are currently down to around 20.... at one time I think they were close to 30) but also cutting such things as the number of scholarships awarded in some non-revenue sports that they continued to sponsor.

It was - to summarize - a Barbour-esque Train Wreck (without so much long-term burden).

As of this year, I believe UMd forecasts to break even in their ICA budget (I haven't bothered to check their figures to see if they got there)...… and their B10 share hasn't yet matured (I think they start to get a full share in 2020, but I could have that off a year or two).

Moving forward, UMd will be in their best shape in decades - - - - - wrt having the resources to compete.

Whether or not Locksley has the skills and abilities to capitalize? Who knows? (But I wouldn't right him off solely based on his dismal W/L record at New Mexico(?)…….. I think it is his off-field issues that would be the bigger concern ).

He will likely recruit better than any UMd coach of recent vintage... and IF (big IF) he can even come close to being competitive with the B10 East front-runners over the next few years (ie… 6 or 7 win seasons - - - with a couple competitive games each year against the likes of OSU/UM/PSU/MSU/Wisc etc), he will have every chance in the world to achieve success down the road.

Good points.
I wonder how much of a law suit Jordan's family will be filing against MD and the AD?

ican'tseehimmakingmuchofadiffernce.

McNair is forgotten (sadly) at this point. Yes, he will get some great recruits and UMD will become a tough opponent, not a walkover every year.

Reactions: bison13
Considering Maryland has never had sustained success of any significance I don’t see it occurring under Lock. They have had how many coaches over the past 30 years and all were going to lock down the DMV and win championships. They will land a handful of top recruits but not enough to compete in BT East.

Considering Maryland has never had sustained success of any significance I don’t see it occurring under Lock. They have had how many coaches over the past 30 years and all were going to lock down the DMV and win championships. They will land a handful of top recruits but not enough to compete in BT East.

I look at it this way. If MD couldn't take control when they had Ralph F. in the 2000's and were doing well and we were absolutely stinking up the place but still landing prime recruits I don't think Locksley is going to be a problem.

No. He will be fired by year 4.

They will get an initial bump in recruiting in the DMV (which isn't great for PSU), but unless that translates into success on the field very quickly that momentum won't last. And I don't see Maryland finishing any better than fourth in the East in the next four years, which I wouldn't define as success.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Well he flipped a 4* WR from Henry Wise HS here in MD today. Same school as Marcus Allen. He is going to hire the HC from Dematha in some capacity and maybe Parrish the HC from Wise. He basically told all the African American HC in MD that its their job to keep the good players at home so he is successful. Depending on he fills out his staff he could be very good as he will acquire talent.

Norm is correct in his statement above that MD has cut some sports to cut costs. At one time they had 34 varsity sports. They are pushing for more donations from Plank and pro athletes to help fund the facilities. And yes his off the field stuff will probably come back up leading to his demise again.

OR

I’m thinking door 2, with a strong uptick in recruiting short-term. Like Ron Zook at IL, but without the Rose Bowl berth.

When the new president comes in and replaces Loh the football program will be in the cross hairs. He hasn’t shown well as a HC and will be gone in 2 years.

I look at it this way. If MD couldn't take control when they had Ralph F. in the 2000's and were doing well and we were absolutely stinking up the place but still landing prime recruits I don't think Locksley is going to be a problem.
Agreed. He’s likely going to pull in great recruits. But all new MD HCs do that. He’ll likely grab more with his contacts, charisma and pedigree, but winning will remain a problem.

In short.....no

Agreed. He’s likely going to pull in great recruits. But all new MD HCs do that. He’ll likely grab more with his contacts, charisma and pedigree, but winning will remain a problem.
Winning has been the problem for Maryland and Indiana. Decent teams that often put up a good fight but collapse in the end. That's what the difference between recruiting a top-20 class for 4 years in a row vs a top 100 class gets you. They just don't (and won't) have the depth outlast the better teams in the B1G-E unless they can come up with a stretch of top recruiting classes.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Winning has been the problem for Maryland and Indiana. Decent teams that often put up a good fight but collapse in the end. That's what the difference between recruiting a top-20 class for 4 years in a row vs a top 100 class gets you. They just don't (and won't) have the depth outlast the better teams in the B1G-E unless they can come up with a stretch of top recruiting classes.
But I also put Maryland in a class with IL and MN. They won’t stay down forever. Question is when they’ll be great again and for how long?

At minimum I think the hire guarantees that rutgers continues to be a bottom feeder. Maryland has had good recent recruiting classes. You would think that would translate onto the field in some capacity soon. They did beat Texas and almost beat Ohio State. There is obviously talent there.

locksley wins a national championship at maryland in 2020, Penn State's recruiting takes a nosedive, and Sandy FIRES. FRANKLIN. :eek: .

We're screwed. :(

Reactions: sluggo72
I think Under Armour will be a factor in whether or not he is successful. With UA stock going down i don't see them pumping in cash like they did a few years ago. MD football needs a lot of money to compete with the big boy facilities of B1G and other teams.

But I also put Maryland in a class with IL and MN. They won’t stay down forever. Question is when they’ll be great again and for how long?
When was Maryland ever great? They were respectable under Bobby Ross in the 80's. Friedgen had one season with an Orange bowl. There were a few very good Maryland teams in the 70's under Jerry Claiborn. They never were great.

When was Maryland ever great? They were respectable under Bobby Ross in the 80's. Friedgen had one season with an Orange bowl. There were a few very good Maryland teams in the 70's under Jerry Claiborn. They never were great.
They won a couple MNCs in the 50s and had some great teams in the 70s and 80s. They stunk from the late 80s to 2000. Then they had one good year under Fridge and have been otherwise hit or miss since. And they’ve kicked out some excellent players over the years.

You may be right that I’m overestimating their bygone greatness. But i still put them with MN and IL as programs that could once again challenge the status quo if... I’d like to see it since we have to watch our team play them anyway.

It was a long time ago but they were great in the "50s. Beat #1 Tennessee in Sugar Bowl and would be #1 in today's system. Beat Missouri in Gator Bowl when it was one of the big bowls.

Your definition of great most be different than mine. They have one Top 10 finish since 1960. They finished 8th in 1976,

Last edited:
No...MD’s ceiling regardless of the coach is closer to our floor. Twerps are no sleeping giant.
What is required to succeed? 1. Players and 2. Coaching. Who knows whether they have the coaches there now, but they do have access to enough really good players to be successful. If they get the players, then they could make Penn State work a lot harder to recruit in the DMV, and if the coaches do their part they could win more games. MD was moving in this direction until the unfortunate player death over the summer and the suspension of the head coach.

What is required to succeed? 1. Players and 2. Coaching. Who knows whether they have the coaches there now, but they do have access to enough really good players to be successful. If they get the players, then they could make Penn State work a lot harder to recruit in the DMV, and if the coaches do their part they could win more games. MD was moving in this direction until the unfortunate player death over the summer and the suspension of the head coach.
One huge problem Maryland has is that their fan base does not care. Nobody goes to their games. Good luck selling that atmosphere.

Pretty much agree. There is an abundance of talent in this area but you better do your homework because with all that talent there are also a lot of "issues" for some of the kids. Which is why I think Locksley will blow it around year 3.
Durkin had recruited really well last year but there were rumors that his style was not playing well this time, and that was before the tragic event over the summer. His 2019 class was no where close to what he brought in in 2018.

One huge problem Maryland has is that their fan base does not care. Nobody goes to their games. Good luck selling that atmosphere.

IMO MD is a bandwagon school. Even their bball team has lost support and even when they were good it was usually just the Duke, NC and NCst's. that brought out all their fans.
I think their market is really limited. No one here in Balto. really cares about them and thats when they are doing well. I see far more PSU and B1G gear around here than I do MD. The DC area seems to follow them somewhat but its far too political and the demo is constantly changing to care about MD. After that you get into UVA and VT territory.

They will win some recruiting battles in the DMV vs PSU in the next few years, but it will have little impact in the grand scheme of things. His luster will fade quickly when elite recruits realize MD’s ceiling is no better than a 7-5 record, for the foreseeable future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT