ADVERTISEMENT

So does Friermuth get taken in the first round?

BFPSU

Aug 26, 2001
Where do you guys see him being taken? With everything else going on and with him just recently opting out I haven’t looked at any mock drafts yet.

Unless of course the Steelers need a TE and he is the highest rated TE left on their board.

Any B10 players not playing this fall have already had their stock fall because of not playing and therefore lack of more recent film available for draft status evaluation. I did not make this up, I read this recently in an article regarding the college players who will not get an opportunity to play this fall season. The upside is significantly less chance of injury and less wear and tear on the body. Of course this is offset by the inability to further hone skills in a game environment.

He was probably a first rounder if he came out last season, which he should have done in hindsight. He will be a good player in the NFL, maybe even a great player.

Unless of course the Steelers need a TE and he is the highest rated TE left on their board.
Kevin Colbert: Steelers Will Draft Prospects That Play in 2020 Over Those That Sit Out

Don't let the fact you're upset he left distort the fact everyone here had him as the best TE in the country last year and imo the best TE to play at Penn State ever or at least in the past 30 years. The kid is a lock top 15. If you say he is not a first round lock please amuse us with 20-30 better prospects.

Kevin Colbert: Steelers Will Draft Prospects That Play in 2020 Over Those That Sit Out
Just as long as fans and the teams are OK taking a less quality player to prove some senseless point most reasonable people disagree with, go ahead. Teams in back of them say thank you.

Reactions: LionJim
Don't let the fact you're upset he left distort the fact everyone here had him as the best TE in the country last year and imo the best TE to play at Penn State ever or at least in the past 30 years. The kid is a lock top 15. If you say he is not a first round lock please amuse us with 20-30 better prospects.

Its not about whether he is a top 15 prospect its about need of position in the nfl first round TEs are like RBs that unless that player is absolute game changer they will slide down a little bit because they are not as big of priority.

Reactions: 81b&w and djr4rebs
Its not about whether he is a top 15 prospect its about need of position in the nfl first round TEs are like RBs that unless that player is absolute game changer they will slide down a little bit because they are not as big of priority.

Are you saying he is not a "game changer" ? Not as good as Fant, Hock, Hurst, Howard, Ingram, Njoku; other 1st round TEs since 2016. He is better than all IMO, and you can only make a case for Hock. Top 15 LOCK and don't be surprised if his stock raises to top 10. He is that special a player.

Are you saying he is not a "game changer" ? Not as good as Fant, Hock, Hurst, Howard, Ingram, Njoku; other 1st round TEs since 2016. He is better than all IMO, and you can only make a case for Hock. Top 15 LOCK and don't be surprised if his stock raises to top 10. He is that special a player.

You do realize that only Hockenson is only tight end you list there taken in the top 15, Kyle Pitts from Florida is considered the top TE entering the season. I think Friermuth will be back half 1st round pick but he will not be a top 15.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Probably will fall into the second, if there was a season he probably could've been a late first

I've seen the headline, and I am sure it is true if they have 2 prospects at a position of need rated exactly the same. That almost never happens. So if they have Friermuth the #1 TE on their board and some other TE #2 and they are both available, I am pretty confident which one they are taking. The NFL has shown that they don't care who opts out of bowl games, transfers, etc. Talent, talent, talent. Because the other stuff is meaningless once kickoff occurs.

He was probably a first rounder if he came out last season, which he should have done in hindsight. He will be a good player in the NFL, maybe even a great player.

No way was he a 1st rounder if he came out last year. He really could have improved his chances of going in the first round if he played this year which is one of the reasons he probably did not go pro last year.

If a team needs a TE, he very likely will go in the first round. The reason(s) he isn't going top 10: he doesn't have Vernon Davis' speed; top 10 drafting teams usually have bigger needs than a TE.

In my book, he's a Gronk/Kelce/Kittle type prospect and will be a steal wherever he is drafted. However, I just don't see him going any earlier than 16-20 range. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: step.eng69
He seems like he's a better Nick O'Leary (who I think was a 5th or 6th?). Late first or early second would be a stretch imo. Hope he's a first rounder, as he seems to be a great kid.

Last edited:

rose colored glasses off, in reality world...Pitts is better. Chiefs might take pat with last pick in first round.

Kyle Brady was the 9th overall pick in the 1995 draft.

Reactions: psuno1
I think it depends on whether he tests as a first rounder. Basically, how well does he run? The Florida TE is receiver and seems to run well, but not a tough guy like Freiermuth - more limited like Gesicki. Freiermuth is a second rounder if speed is not up to first round levels. He's shown that he's a good kid and hard worker, so I think that sitting won't cause him backlash, but new and improved film wouldn't hurt his cause.

ADVERTISEMENT