ADVERTISEMENT

So Did Brady Destroy His Cell Phone

Well, he's certainly right to cling to his right to privacy. Why should he have to surrender such information. This is especially true when we see so much stuff protected and shielded suddenly being released. (Baseball's Mitchell Report, Bill Cosby's "sealed" depositions, etc.).

So I am sympathetic. What I don't understand is how in the world anyone believes that a ball boy took it upon himself to deflate a dozen balls without the consent of the QB &/or coach. Not gonna happen. (having said that, I can understand if the ball deflated on its own due to the cold weather, but they don't seem to be claiming that anymore).

Reactions: michnittlion
Well, he's certainly right to cling to his right to privacy. Why should he have to surrender such information. This is especially true when we see so much stuff protected and shielded suddenly being released. (Baseball's Mitchell Report, Bill Cosby's "sealed" depositions, etc.).

So I am sympathetic. What I don't understand is how in the world anyone believes that a ball boy took it upon himself to deflate a dozen balls without the consent of the QB &/or coach. Not gonna happen. (having said that, I can understand if the ball deflated on its own due to the cold weather, but they don't seem to be claiming that anymore).

Exactly.

Goodell bringing up the "he destroyed his cell phone" argument is crazy. Brady is under no obligation to turn that over.

But it simply isn't believable that some equipment managers would go randomly deflating footballs, before the most important game (to that point) of the New England Patriots season, without some sort of "instruction" on such.

Goodell should have simply said "we commissioned the Wells Report, and after a careful consideration, nothing that Tom Brady has shown me over the past 3 months has led me to conclude that the Wells Report is substantially incorrect in its conclusions. Therefore, the suspension is upheld. See you in Game # 5 Tom."

Reactions: psualt
Exactly.

Goodell bringing up the "he destroyed his cell phone" argument is crazy. Brady is under no obligation to turn that over.

Goodell should have simply said "we commissioned the Wells Report, and after a careful consideration, nothing that Tom Brady has shown me over the past 3 months has led me to conclude that the Wells Report is substantially incorrect in its conclusions. Therefore, the suspension is upheld. See you in Game # 5 Tom."

Right...with one proviso....if this goes to civil trial, the court will want those texts...and the NFL will say that TB destroyed them on the day he was asked for them. In Civil court, the burden will fall on TB, not the NFL (since Goody has the power to do what he did via the CBA with the NFLPA). I am afraid TB is screwed.

Funny....Gazelle, who buys used cell phones, has been having a twitter field day. At first, saying if he had sold his phone to Gazelle, he'd be better off. Later, they tweeted he was married to Gisele and needed Gazelle...coincidence?

Reactions: NapaNit
It's kinda of a bad argument as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think Brady should be singled out more than any one else. Why should he be?

Would the NFL even have subpoena power to force Brady to hand over his cell phone??? That is what I do not get with this thing. This was an NFL investigation, NOT a legal investigation by law enforcement and a judge. We saw this with the Freeh Report. Louie Freeh did not have subpoena power. Which met all the people he interviewed talked without the fear of future perjury charges, no one he interviewed was forced to interview, and no one had to turn over any documentation or materials. I believe the NFL is the same situation. The NFL could have asked Brady for his cell phone a zillion times and Brady could have simply told them to F - off. Unless the NFL is the 'company", and Brady was using a "company phone" as part of his employee agreement...

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Would the NFL even have subpoena power to force Brady to hand over his cell phone??? That is what I do not get with this thing. This was an NFL investigation, NOT a legal investigation by law enforcement and a judge. We saw this with the Freeh Report. Louie Freeh did not have subpoena power. Which met all the people he interviewed talked without the fear of future perjury charges, no one he interviewed was forced to interview, and no one had to turn over any documentation or materials. I believe the NFL is the same situation. The NFL could have asked Brady for his cell phone a zillion times and Brady could have simply told them to F - off. Unless the NFL is the 'company", and Brady was using a "company phone" as part of his employee agreement...

They do not have subpoena power. But this is a employee issue, not a criminal or civil one. This one is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which gave Goody the power to do what he did. Don't confuse the two. Brady isn't being convicted of a crime. Now, if Brady takes it to civil court, he has to show why the CBA is bogus. Good luck with that. His best shot to do that would be to show his phone...but he destroyed it on the day he was told he might need to present it. Now, I agree with Brady wanting to keep his privacy.

What nobody can explain to me, however, is how it is that a lowly ball boy would deflate game balls in an AFC championship without direction/approval from a HOF QB & HC.

They do not have subpoena power. But this is a employee issue, not a criminal or civil one. This one is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which gave Goody the power to do what he did. Don't confuse the two. Brady isn't being convicted of a crime. Now, if Brady takes it to civil court, he has to show why the CBA is bogus. Good luck with that. His best shot to do that would be to show his phone...but he destroyed it on the day he was told he might need to present it. Now, I agree with Brady wanting to keep his privacy.

What nobody can explain to me, however, is how it is that a lowly ball boy would deflate game balls in an AFC championship without direction/approval from a HOF QB & HC.
Obli........after this, you can be sure the NFL Players Assoc will change the next contract regarding disciplinary procedures. Might even be a strike if this doesn't change. Way too much public conjecture making Brady look bad done in by Godell just like Louie Freeh!

Right...with one proviso....if this goes to civil trial, the court will want those texts...and the NFL will say that TB destroyed them on the day he was asked for them. In Civil court, the burden will fall on TB, not the NFL (since Goody has the power to do what he did via the CBA with the NFLPA). I am afraid TB is screwed.

Funny....Gazelle, who buys used cell phones, has been having a twitter field day. At first, saying if he had sold his phone to Gazelle, he'd be better off. Later, they tweeted he was married to Gisele and needed Gazelle...coincidence?

Cell phone vendor has the following on file or on backups: each person called, each person texted, each text, possibly each email, if vendor supplies his email account.

From what I've seen, I'm not sure the CBA properly addresses this situation. Even if it did, without tangible proof of Brady's involvement at the time of the punishment being handed down, the NFL will have a hard time showing they were correct to punish Brady and that they should have stuck to punishing the organization solely.

He was directed to do that by either the coach, Brady or a go between. Also to hear people say: " The pressure does not matter" is funny.If it did not matter then why circumvent the rules? Brady is lying in my opinion.

Obli........after this, you can be sure the NFL Players Assoc will change the next contract regarding disciplinary procedures. Might even be a strike if this doesn't change. Way too much public conjecture making Brady look bad done in by Godell just like Louie Freeh!
One difference is the NFL actually has evidence.

Not really because the NFL conducted an investigation talking to all the players involved.This is nothing like the Freeh report.

1. To hide from the NFL that he was messing around with footballs?

or

2. To hide from his wife that someone else was messing with his balls?

or

3. To hide an alternative lifestyle that Brady and/or Gisele don't want made public.

Either the organization or Brady himself has made him look bad. It's not the NFL, they are just enforcing the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT