ADVERTISEMENT

So all is normal in the Steeler camp

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
New Offensive Coordinator Canada said this week ‘we are going to to do want Ben what’s to do, the way Ben wants to do it.’ So Big Ego is in charge just like has been for years. A few years back he went most of the season refusing to talk to his offensive coordinator. That OC was then let go.......and has won three Super Bowl rings since while the Steelers have only won one single playoff game! The last OC said he once suggested that Big Ego call more running plays.......and Big Ego didn’t talk to HIM for a week. Now they will do what he wants, how he wants.

So why do the Steelers have an OC? Hell, what even have Tomlin there. Just make Big Ego head coach and save a few million.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Tear it down. 5-12 should do the trick.
Looking at their schedule, 7-10 is my prediction. Fat, slow, weak-armed Ben will be replaced by Haskins or Rudolph by mid-season. The Steelers will be fighting with the Bungles for last place. They will pick early in next year's draft and might be able to snaggle a decent QB. They are in for a long rebuilding process.

Last edited:
I’m in the camp that they should’ve cut ties with BB, certainly this off season and likely a few years ago. Personal feelings aside (I can’t stand the guy), he hasn’t been a championship caliber QB in some time, and holding on this long to keep his perceived window open is fool’s gold.

It doesn’t take nearly as long to rebuild in today’s NFL as it did a generation(+) ago. That said, the Steelers have never looked to build via FA, so yeah, their rebuild will likely take longer than necessary.

New Offensive Coordinator Canada said this week ‘we are going to to do want Ben what’s to do, the way Ben wants to do it.’ So Big Ego is in charge just like has been for years. A few years back he went most of the season refusing to talk to his offensive coordinator. That OC was then let go.......and has won three Super Bowl rings since while the Steelers have only won one single playoff game! The last OC said he once suggested that Big Ego call more running plays.......and Big Ego didn’t talk to HIM for a week. Now they will do what he wants, how he wants.

So why do the Steelers have an OC? Hell, what even have Tomlin there. Just make Big Ego head coach and save a few million.
This year could go either way.
I think given the gaps they had, they did pretty well in the draft...got a franchise RB which may not have nearly the long-term value it once had, but that at a young capable TE certainly helps...and possible help many other places, some projects, but even some high picks are (Dupree).
I'm still confused at their offensive strategy last year with the quick throws. It's hard for me to believe Ben got that much more fragile in one year....after an arm injury. He seemed to throw better late in some games when behind by 10 pts or more. I guess we'll find out. Call me old-fashioned, but with how much he's done for the team and town, he deserves one benefit of the doubt.
My understand is their cap space for next year and beyond is trending very positively.
But heck, I could deal with a top 15 pick vs giving it to the Browns or Bengals who consistently waste it.

Reactions: BBrown and psu2016
A few years back he went most of the season refusing to talk to his offensive coordinator. That OC was then let go.......and has won three Super Bowl rings since while the Steelers have only won one single playoff game!
Are you talking about Todd Haley? Pretty sure he’s the guy Ben hated. Bruce Arians was before Haley. I think Ben got along with him. Regardless, he hasn’t won 3 “more” Super Bowls. Just this last one with Brady. (The other two he won as the Steelers WR coach and then OC).

So what will Canada do?

The defense is still very good even with some issues at corner. Bush coming back will help offset the loss of Dupree even if it is at a different position. The offensive line is still a big question mark but they have enough playmakers on offense that if they just buy into running the ball some more with Harris they probably will be above 500.

Are you talking about Todd Haley? Pretty sure he’s the guy Ben hated. Bruce Arians was before Haley. I think Ben got along with him. Regardless, he hasn’t won 3 “more” Super Bowls. Just this last one with Brady. (The other two he won as the Steelers WR coach and then OC).
Yep, you are right. But any QBs that doesn’t talk to his OC is a jerk. And Ben did several things showing poor judgement and bad character both on and off the field.

Steelers ownership has gotten soft. They will sell out and make a lot of money regardless of if Ben plays horrible or good. Easier to keep him around then let him go so Steelers front office went the easy route. Steelers go 7-9 this year and don't sniff the playoffs.

People still care about pro sports? And pre-season pro sports at that? Bless their hearts.

When they started jumping Ben's 15 and under passes it wasn't like they had him figured put by the end of the year- it was almost like they had just been waiting around the whole time letting him do it just to pull the rug from his top heavy self come the playoffs.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Steelers ownership has gotten soft. They will sell out and make a lot of money regardless of if Ben plays horrible or good. Easier to keep him around then let him go so Steelers front office went the easy route. Steelers go 7-9 this year and don't sniff the playoffs.
Steelers won't go 7-9, unless it is 7-9-1. It is still weird saying 7-10 and 10 wins is no longer a wins total having you feel pretty good about your playoff chances.

When they started jumping Ben's 15 and under passes it wasn't like they had him figured put by the end of the year- it was almost like they had just been waiting around the whole time letting him do it just to pull the rug from his top heavy self come the playoffs.
That's not a wrong take.

Yep, you are right. But any QBs that doesn’t talk to his OC is a jerk. And Ben did several things showing poor judgement and bad character both on and off the field.
Sounds to me like you just don’t like Ben, and are cherry picking one-sided versions of events long since passed to fit your narrative. The guy is happily married with several kids and has changed considerably since his early 20’s. How about you?

I’ve posted in this very thread that I’m not a BB fan (helluva QB in his day, but class A douche IMO). That said, from other accounts I’ve read over the years, he was far from the first player who didn’t get along with Haley.

The Steelers should have started looking for a way to offload Roethlisberger around 2016 or 2017. Around that time they still could have found some team that was willing to take him although Pittsburgh would have likely needed to eat part of the contract. It was obvious that the end of his career was on the horizon and that he would never recognize any decline in his game. I don't think this year will go very well

Ben likes his MAC targets! Watch him here vs. Auburn.

Last edited:

Ben should take a lesson from Brady who handed off more than he threw last year in the playoffs. Resulted in increased time of possession and a rested defense. Also resulted in another ring.

Reactions: TheGLOV and 91Joe95
I don't like the PGA either fwiw. I don't like anything anymore (it's all been ruined in one way or another) but the beach, women, and alcohol.

uhl68.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ben should take a lesson from Brady who handed off more than he threw last year in the playoffs. Resulted in increased time of possession and a rested defense. Also resulted in another ring.
Good idea. Ummm who was Ben going to hand off too last year? ;)
Najee Harris is going to be a big help but the OL is also going to have to improve a whole lot. They were
flat out bad.

Najee Harris is going to be a big help but the OL is also going to have to improve a whole lot. They were
flat out bad.
I get it, but was responding to the OP's statement regarding Ben not liking handing off. Hopefully they have the back, and have plugged some OL holes. We will see.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
flat out bad.
They brought in 5 time pro bolwer G Trai Turner last week for a look but he left without a contract. I'm not sure where he'd fit with DeCastro and Dotson or where the money would come from? They still need to get a deal done with Watt for 2022. I think franchising him would be a bad idea after seeing what happened to Dupree even though he got paid by the Titans.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT