ADVERTISEMENT

So, about that "Conspiracy of Silence" by Joe Paterno, Curley, Schultz & Spanier at Penn State.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
So, about that "Conspiracy of Silence" by Joe Paterno, Tim Curley, Gary Schultz & Graham Spanier at Penn State University.

GAME OVER. CHARGES DROPPED.
"A Pennsylvania appeals court says it won't reconsider a recent decision throwing out some of the most serious criminal charges against three former Penn State administrators related to their handling of the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal. ... A three judge panel in February threw out charges of perjury, obstruction [of justice] and conspiracy." link

There are a lot of people who are going to have to eat their words. Condolences to @Cruising Route 66, @michnittlion, @Black Elmo 2 @PSU_Nut, etc., etc...

11795970-mmmain.jpg

"With findings very similar to the Freeh report, Attorney General Linda Kelly today announced charges of conspiracy, obstruction, perjury and child endangerment against former Penn State president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley. There was one difference: The court documents don't implicate the late football coach Joe Paterno." - Sara Ganim

"This case is about three powerful and influential men who held positions at the very top of one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. Three men who used their positions at Penn State to conceal and cover up for years the activities of a known child predator. ... This was a conspiracy of silence by top officials working to actively conceal the truth with total disregard for the children who were Sandusky's victims." - Attorney General Linda Kelly

"The historically unprecedented actions by the NCAA are warranted by the conspiracy of silence maintained at highest level of the university with reckless and callous disregard for children." - Ed Ray, Chair of the NCAA Executive Committee

Desmond Howard: "The one point that people continue to make, that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is about the players and how the players shouldn't have to pay the price for what happened... as if they don't have a choice. You know, you read some tweets and some messages and people say, 'Hey, remember the victims.' Well, I challenge you to remember the victims, but THINK about the victims, and THINK about how they were victimized. Think about what they had to go through when this burly coach was victimizing them. Add some substance to that symbolism and they didn't have a choice. Those damn victims didn't have a choice. Why? Because of the culture at Penn State University, particularly in the football department. Now these football players today, who are at Penn State, they have a choice. If you grew up loving Penn State Nittany Lions football and you always wanted to play for Penn State, guess what? You can stay, and you can represent Penn State and wear that uniform proudly and you will have a chance to earn a degree from Penn State University. BUT, if you like to play in the postseason and all of the luxuries that come along with that sort of opportunity, then you can transfer out TODAY and go to another university and live out those dreams. The players today have a choice. The damned victims didn't."

Last edited:
So, about that "Conspiracy of Silence" by Joe Paterno, Tim Curley, Gary Schultz & Graham Spanier at Penn State University.

"A Pennsylvania appeals court says it won't reconsider a recent decision throwing out some of the most serious criminal charges against three former Penn State administrators related to their handling of the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal. ... A three judge panel in February threw out charges of perjury, obstruction [of justice] and conspiracy." link

There are a lot of people who are going to have to eat their words. Condolences to @Cruising Route 66, @michnittlion, @Black Elmo 2 @PSU_Nut, etc., etc...

11795970-mmmain.jpg

"With findings very similar to the Freeh report, Attorney General Linda Kelly today announced charges of conspiracy, obstruction, perjury and child endangerment against former Penn State president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley. There was one difference: The court documents don't implicate the late football coach Joe Paterno." - Sara Ganim

"This case is about three powerful and influential men who held positions at the very top of one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. Three men who used their positions at Penn State to conceal and cover up for years the activities of a known child predator. ... This was a conspiracy of silence by top officials working to actively conceal the truth with total disregard for the children who were Sandusky's victims." - Attorney General Linda Kelly

"The historically unprecedented actions by the NCAA are warranted by the conspiracy of silence maintained at highest level of the university with reckless and callous disregard for children." - Ed Ray, Chair of the NCAA Executive Committee

Desmond Howard: "The one point that people continue to make, that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is about the players and how the players shouldn't have to pay the price for what happened... as if they don't have a choice. You know, you read some tweets and some messages and people say, 'Hey, remember the victims.' Well, I challenge you to remember the victims, but THINK about the victims, and THINK about how they were victimized. Think about what they had to go through when this burly coach was victimizing them. Add some substance to that symbolism and they didn't have a choice. Those damn victims didn't have a choice. Why? Because of the culture at Penn State University, particularly in the football department. Now these football players today, who are at Penn State, they have a choice. If you grew up loving Penn State Nittany Lions football and you always wanted to play for Penn State, guess what? You can stay, and you can represent Penn State and wear that uniform proudly and you will have a chance to earn a degree from Penn State University. BUT, if you like to play in the postseason and all of the luxuries that come along with that sort of opportunity, then you can transfer out TODAY and go to another university and live out those dreams. The players today have a choice. The damned victims didn't."

Interesting..... your post was a listed and linked as a news story on my yahoo homepage

Same here. So.....where does it go from here....?

I believe all three still have relatively minor charges hanging over them, so they won't be talking yet.

How long before the remaining charges are dropped?

Likely gets appealed to the Supreme Court now, which was where it was probably headed anyway regardless of ruling. Felony child endangerment charge on all three remains as does a perjury charge on Curley.

Reactions: step.eng69
If this goes to the state Supreme Court, it's just to keep these guys quiet for a bit longer.
Agreed, but could this also be used as an "out" for the State, which has long been thought to have nothing beyond their initial bluster to support their case? Perhaps they'll choose to quietly let this one just slip away, since most of America has moved on anyways?

Reactions: Marshall30
Likely gets appealed to the Supreme Court now, which was where it was probably headed anyway regardless of ruling. Felony child endangerment charge on all three remains as does a perjury charge on Curley.
You never know - - but I would be VERY surprised if this thing went before the Supreme Court

Reactions: francofan
You never know - - but I would be VERY surprised if this thing went before the Supreme Court

In the continued spirit of honoring the sixth amendment, I'm sure they'll consider this just in time for the 2020 mid-term elections....

Yahoo tailors the news on your yahoo page to your cookies. So if you look at psu stuff, they'll put psu news on your customized front page. But this is big news nonetheless.

Very insightful, and it applies to news across the entire spectrum.

Agreed, but could this also be used as an "out" for the State, which has long been thought to have nothing beyond their initial bluster to support their case? Perhaps they'll choose to quietly let this one just slip away, since most of America has moved on anyways?

I'm no expert but this (above) is my guess as to what will happen.

I could be wrong but I thought the FTR and EWOC charges were misdemeanors. The most serious felony charges were quashed.

I could be wrong but I thought the FTR and EWOC charges were misdemeanors. The most serious felony charges were quashed.

On the radio today they said the FTR and EWOC charges were misdemeanors.

On the radio today they said the FTR and EWOC charges were misdemeanors.

Thanks for confirming. Those charges are absolute bull shit too. There's no way for the state to prove a report to CCCYS wasn't made if it was screened or determined to be unfounded and that's not even considering the fact that the admins weren't legally required to do anything with MM's report and they still informed JR at TSM which should have caused one to be made.

For all we know CCCYS viewed JR as THE child care expert in CC.

Reactions: 91Joe95

11795970-mmmain.jpg

May I humbly suggest you retweet this to Sandy Barbour? In the past she has stated psu's culture has never been a problem. Maybe she will retweet this to bolster her previous statements.

Reactions: Zenophile and tgar
Sandy's not retweeting this stuff. The university wants them found guilty. How else will they explain all those payments that they made?

Yahoo tailors the news on your yahoo page to your cookies. So if you look at psu stuff, they'll put psu news on your customized front page. But this is big news nonetheless.

I know, but creating a news headline and linking to a message board post? I get PSU links all the time on yahoo but linking to one unique message board post was surprising.... how does that happen?

I may be wrong myself but I believe they are charged with felony child endangerment. CE can be a felony or misdemeanor based on intent...I believe they were assigned an F3 grade for that charge. The FTR is a misdemeanor.

Has Desmond Howard recanted his statement yet? My hand is to my ear. I hear something. "Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp." Ah, it's just crickets.

ADVERTISEMENT