ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Small news and notes for 1/14

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
So first and foremost, Brady Berge is now officially certified and listed on the official roster, which comically has him at 57/65. He certified at 165 which at least seems to open the door to 57. May be a matter of working his way down and seeing how he feels. Would be surprised if he’s a go on Sunday but said the same about Hildebrandt last weekend.

On another note, set to chat with recent commit Braeden Davis on Sunday about his choice, his future and some of his hobbies outside the sport. Hoping to have that article up next week for you guys.

Berge needs to be where he was at 157. Otherwise it loses the mustard all put on it. Doesn’t help much at 165.
I agree to a point. I would prefer 157 because it's a shallower weight and would be easier for Berge to score points at NCAAs in theory. That said, If the cut is just too much, a healthy Berge still represents more upside than Edsell at 165, IMO.

I agree to a point. I would prefer 157 because it's a shallower weight and would be easier for Berge to score points at NCAAs in theory. That said, If the cut is just too much, a healthy Berge still represents more upside than Edsell at 165, IMO.
Does it? Honestly no one knows. 2 years ago, we’d all say yes. But is that still the case ? Edsel has been competing this whole time while Berge has not. I truly hope Brady can make AA or even win it. That said, I’m not expecting any points from him in March right now. Obviously That can change after seeing him in action…. But I wouldnt wager on it

Does it? Honestly no one knows. 2 years ago, we’d all say yes. But is that still the case ? Edsel has been competing this whole time while Berge has not. I truly hope Brady can make AA or even win it. That said, I’m not expecting any points from him in March right now. Obviously That can change after seeing him in action…. But I wouldnt wager on it
It's all speculation until we see Berge on the Mat, but that's part of the fun of a message board, right? We can express our opinions, have some fun debates and it will impact nothing in the long run!

The only thing to be on the lookout for is when arrogant, holier than thou, posters try to dictate what we do and don't have the "right" to discuss. However, the good thing is we're free to ignore any and all of their mandates.

It's all speculation until we see Berge on the Mat, but that's part of the fun of a message board, right? We can express our opinions, have some fun debates and it will impact nothing in the long run!

The only thing to be on the lookout for is when arrogant, holier than thou, posters try to dictate what we do and don't have the "right" to discuss. However, the good thing is we're free to ignore any and all of their mandates.
For sure. I just am tempering my enthusiasm (for points in March , not for my excitement for Brady’s opportunity)

Just IMO, but a wrestle-off between Brady and Edsel is far from an automatic result.

As for 157, I think the size of Brady's cut will dictate. If he arrived in the room under 165, I don't think the cut will be an issue, and Negron is not ready for a full strength in shape BB. If he is in the low 170s and cuts to 157 all bets are off. The 149 version of BB was not his best. I think we have an adequate sample of him with a deep cut, and he was not himself.

My crystal ball is his cut to 157 is reasonable and he will beat Negron in a wrestleoff. Brady is too technically sound. I don't think we see Brady in a dual until the last week of January or later.

I think many of us may be forgetting how talented a wrestler Brady Berge is. If not for extreme cutting to 149 and unfortunate injuries, he may be viewed very differently. He’s a stud and he knows it. That’s why he wants to come back. He may surprise everyone at 165. I’m BULLISH on Berge at 165. Especially at the eighth seed!

I think many of us may be forgetting how talented a wrestler Brady Berge is. If not for extreme cutting to 149 and unfortunate injuries, he may be viewed very differently. He’s a stud and he knows it. That’s why he wants to come back. He may surprise everyone at 165. I’m BULLISH on Berge at 165. Especially at the eighth seed!
Exactly. Dude got hurt in the quarterfinals last year. He was one win away from AA when he had to default.

Reactions: kevin310
Exactly. Dude got hurt in the quarterfinals last year. He was one win away from AA when he had to default.
Even if he wouldn't have beaten Dellavecchia in the quarters, his 1st consis match (that he MFFed out of) was against the 33 seed.

Reactions: kevin310 and mcpat
Even if he wouldn't have beaten Dellavecchia in the quarters, his 1st consis match (that he MFFed out of) was against the 33 seed.
Right. He was one win away from at least 6th in the championship bracket or 8th in the consolation bracket. The man can wrestle.

Reactions: NittanyChris

Yep, Berge's very, very good and he's had some bad luck that has prevented him from accomplishing his goals. That's why he's back. Obviously, most wrestlers don't suffer from a lack of confidence, but I don't think he'd have done what he did (approach the other coaches and his bosses at SDSU to ask for a reprieve) if he didn't fully expect to return to PSU, qualify for nationals and make AA or win a title.

I happen to be one of the apparent minority of PSU fans who really does go with the flow and doesn't have any real expectations. I'm happy when they win and find some sort of solace when they lose, so I'm not expecting Berge to score 10, 15 or 20 points at NCAAs, to win a title or place 3rd or 5th or whatever, but none of those things would surprise me if they happened.

I THINK we're going to see Berge at 157, but I have no inside information and it's just a guess, but I also believe that he'd be competitive at 165 if he simply can't manage a cut to 157 as well.

Last edited:
He has been coaching since the summer and has been on the mat, just not competition. Not much different than Hildebrant.

He has been coaching since the summer and has been on the mat, just not competition. Not much different than Hildebrant.
Cenzo mentioned on Basch yesterday that as a young college coach, he does about 3 workouts a day. Drew said he had a break from wrestling from about August through the start of October, but was back training then, and w/ NLWC and Gilman in early November.

Last edited:
Cenzo mentioned on Basch yesterday that as a young college coach, he does about 3 workouts a day. Drew said he had a break from wrestling from about August through the start of October, but was back training then, and w/ NLWC and Gilman in early November.
Even during the break, running and lifting were most likely part Drew's normal days.

IIRC Berge was 160 as a HS senior. I thought it was pretty telling he went 74KG for his last Freestyle event rather than 70KG. (though he did win a junior world bronze in 2018 at that weight after beating out David Carr for the spot) He looked GOOD and teched all of his opponents at trials (though there weren't any world beaters) I feel he went 157 for the team always (Joe looked good at 165 in 2020) and 165 might be a better fit for him. He says he is confident he is healthy and ready for the challenges ahead. As a young student coach, I imagine he's in good shape. Time to see what he can do!

Reactions: Jplions4
IIRC Berge was 160 as a HS senior. I thought it was pretty telling he went 74KG for his last Freestyle event rather than 70KG. (though he did win a junior world bronze in 2018 at that weight after beating out David Carr for the spot) He looked GOOD and teched all of his opponents at trials (though there weren't any world beaters) I feel he went 157 for the team always (Joe looked good at 165 in 2020) and 165 might be a better fit for him. He says he is confident he is healthy and ready for the challenges ahead. As a young student coach, I imagine he's in good shape. Time to see what he can do!
He went 149 in 2019. In not saying that was the right weight for him by any stretch of the imagination, just saying he wrestled a full season at 149 in college.

Agree. I think some are attempting to imply that Berge would be undersized @65 - the record does not necessarily support this as you've pointed out. The other thing that applies here is that often times adult wrestlers (i.e., Seniors in Int'l terminology) often benefit from some time off and wrestle very well off the break (I think this also applies to Hildebrand). People assuming they know how Berge and Hildebrand will perform against top competition is kind of amusing IMO.

Reactions: crockster
Agree. I think some are attempting to imply that Berge would be undersized @65 - the record does not necessarily support this as you've pointed out. The other thing that applies here is that often times adult wrestlers (i.e., Seniors in Int'l terminology) often benefit from some time off and wrestle very well off the break (I think this also applies to Hildebrand). People assuming they know how Berge and Hildebrand will perform against top competition is kind of amusing IMO.
They both wrestled at nationals last year. It’s not like they’ve taken a couple years off or anything.

Reactions: Grass
It just means he weighed between 157.1 and 165 on the day he was certified.

When one retires from competitive sport it is not at all unusual to lose a considerable amount of weight . . . unless the retiree doubles down on the deserts, beer, etc. I would guess that Brady’s work ethic and desire to get into coaching helped to keep his weight down. As previously mentioned, volunteer coaches do a lot of Mat work in the room. I think it not unreasonable for Brady to go 157. If I were to worry about anything, it would be his strength.

They both wrestled at nationals last year. It’s not like they’ve taken a couple years off or anything.

Yea, Hildebrand lost 3-5 in Consi Final and Berge had to MFF in Quarters (Championship Braket) @57. Wrestlers continue to evolve from year to year, but it's pretty clear that both were right there last year and it's impossible to say what precise impact competing in PSU's room this year will have on them - given that PSU is considered to have one of the best rooms in the Country, if not the best, especially if you include the influence of the NLWC, it's hard to say how good they will be against elite competition.

My opinion is that Brady still has to win the weight the coaches decide he goes in a wrestle off against either Creighton at 165 or Tony at 157. The end result, if Brady is in the lineup, is the PSU team has their best version on the mat.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Berge is now in his 5th year of college wrestling, the first 4 at 149 or 157. It's safe to say that his HS weight is no longer a determinant in his college weight.

Also it was well known that he wrestled up a weight in HS. As did a number of other PSU wrestlers: offhand, Carter wrestled 182, and Mouse wrestled 195.

Berge is now in his 5th year of college wrestling, the first 4 at 149 or 157. It's safe to say that his HS weight is no longer a determinant in his college weight.

Also it was well known that he wrestled up a weight in HS. As did a number of other PSU wrestlers: offhand, Carter wrestled 182, and Mouse wrestled 195.

But he has also competed at 74 kg in free, no?

I almost didn’t recognize Cenzo on that Basch podcast. He looked really thin.

My opinion is that Brady still has to win the weight the coaches decide he goes in a wrestle off against either Creighton at 165 or Tony at 157. The end result, if Brady is in the lineup, is the PSU team has their best version on the mat.
157 isn't qualifying for Nationals. Not necessarily a factor overall, but it is what it is. Would Berge outscore Edsell? Possibly, of course Brady has to win the wrestle off first then actually get in enough matches, otherwise a repeat of last year with Beau is very much possible.

That's far worse than using bacon in carbonara.
giphy.gif

And then wrestled a full season at 157. So you tell me which is more relevant.

I'm not saying it's more relevant, just saying he does have experience wrestling competitively in mid-60s. I'm in no way saying he won't wrestle at 157 - just saying we really don't know.... and if he did end up going 165, we don't know that he can't be very competitive there.

ADVERTISEMENT