ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: Bowden vs Saban

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
While driving on Saturday AM, I was listening to a CFB talk show on Sirius. Danny Kannell (former FSU QB) is one of the hosts (I don't know who the other host is but I don't think he is an FSU guy).

Anyway, some FSU fan called in talking about the comparison between Bobby Bowden and Nick Saban in terms of their legacies (I'm sure he called Kannell because of his FSU bias).

Anyway, they agreed that Bowden's legacy was more impressive because he was so many more wins than Saban and had the playoff existed back then, he would have more than two national championships. OK, sure fun to talk about (although I was pissed the non-FSU host didn't bring up Paterno).

But then what was bizarre was Danny asked his co-host how many wins he gave Bowden credit for, and the answer was 411, which caught my attention for obvious reasons.

I looked it up and even if you give Bowden back the vacated wins, he only has 389. If you give him his non division I wins (but not the vacated wins) he's at 408 (ha-ha). And if you gave him both the non- DI and vacated wins he has 420.

So obviously (and in the eyes of the NCAA) he has 377, but I'm trying to figure out how they got to 411. I've concluded FSU graduates are bad a math. Anyone have any other ideas?

Bowden vs Saban with Bowden having the greater legacy???? That’s hilarious. Saban left Booby behind about 5 years ago.

Bowden’s legacy rests on a toothless ACC and Mickey Andrews in his prime.
At the rate Saban is going (wrt to "winning" in CFB), Saban's legacy will be like no other. The Crimson Tide Machine is making a mockery of CFB.

While driving on Saturday AM, I was listening to a CFB talk show on Sirius. Danny Kannell (former FSU QB) is one of the hosts (I don't know who the other host is but I don't think he is an FSU guy).

Anyway, some FSU fan called in talking about the comparison between Bobby Bowden and Nick Saban in terms of their legacies (I'm sure he called Kannell because of his FSU bias).

Anyway, they agreed that Bowden's legacy was more impressive because he was so many more wins than Saban and had the playoff existed back then, he would have more than two national championships. OK, sure fun to talk about (although I was pissed the non-FSU host didn't bring up Paterno).

But then what was bizarre was Danny asked his co-host how many wins he gave Bowden credit for, and the answer was 411, which caught my attention for obvious reasons.

I looked it up and even if you give Bowden back the vacated wins, he only has 389. If you give him his non division I wins (but not the vacated wins) he's at 408 (ha-ha). And if you gave him both the non- DI and vacated wins he has 420.

So obviously (and in the eyes of the NCAA) he has 377, but I'm trying to figure out how they got to 411. I've concluded FSU graduates are bad a math. Anyone have any other ideas?

389 are Bowden's wins including both those at Howard/Samford and the vacated wins. He has 22 at South Georgia State College before he took the helm at Howard. Sum is 411.

389 are Bowden's wins including both those at Howard/Samford and the vacated wins. He has 22 at South Georgia State College before he took the helm at Howard. Sum is 411.
That makes sense thanks.

The lower division wins should not count, nor should the wins that were vacated (due to playing ineligible players).

Bowden's legacy greater than Saban? They meant Nick Saban the coach at Alabama right? They guy that has 5 National titles.
And they meant Bobby Bowden right? the guy who couldn't even beat Miami?

FSU graduates not named Myron Rolle maybe...

Bowden's legacy greater than Saban? They meant Nick Saban the coach at Alabama right? They guy that has 5 National titles.
And they meant Bobby Bowden right? the guy who couldn't even beat Miami?
6 NTs - one with LSU as well

ADVERTISEMENT