Slacker Slide: '50 "facts" you might not know about guns in the US'. Let us count the lies... (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001

I preface my comments by saying people in other countries don't have the personal liberties we have. If gun violence is so bad then why do immigrants flock here. That's a rhetorical question. They come here to escape poverty and tyranny. Neither of which we have but progressives are working on it. That said, here are some salient points...

Slide 4- underscore 'approximately' with respect to sales because it's illegal for the government to track gun sales. Don't like it? Do a Constitutional Amendment. Until then try to come and take it.

Slide 5- Wrong! The Second Amendment's sole purpose is not to permit US states to create militias (as if the states need federal permission, anyway). Back then we were a society of subsistence hunters. What did you expect hunters to use, bows and arrows. And it's not like people don't hunt anymore. 38.8M hunting license issued in 2020. “Contextual reading is quite enlightening.” This is your typical coastal elitist, narcissistic viewpoint on full display.

Slide 7- RE: most people want stricter gun controls. That's an open-ended answer to and open-ended question. Most people want more free stuff, too, until you show them how much their taxes will increase. Regarding mechanisms, there's already a ban on straw purchases as well as a mandatory background check with "red flag." The problem is most mass shootings happen because the FBI fails to execute. So we don't need more laws. Again and for the millionth time, there's no such thing as an "assault weapon" (aka a weapon-of-war) in civilian hands. How's the government going to enforce safe storage requirements? Come into your home unannounced for a spot check. Serious gun owners already keep their weapons secured. Only criminals walk around with their @sses hanging out. Here's an idea. Rather than do away with guns let's do away with criminals. What a novel concept! Yeah, let's treat the disease rather than the symptom. Moreover, I would argue modern politics is the bane of man's existence.

Slide 10- there's no such thing as a "background check loophole." That's an Everytown USA talking point. The issue at hand is this: should we allow non-dealer sales of firearms without a background check. Unthankfully, 21 states the DC don't allow you to sell your firearm to another person. What does Texas do. Well, it requires you to document an intrastate transfer and ask the buyer some basic questions such as, is he a felon. But it doesn't require you to verify it. Texas disallows interstate person-to-person transfers of firearms. Those must go through a dealer. Imagine living in a state where you can't sell your used car without going through a dealer. Sound farfetched? That's next. This is all about the state exerting control for control leads to power and power is the ultimate aphrodisiac. It's why the Bill of Rights exists.

Slide 13- 34 states have a Stand Your Ground law with a duty to retreat. Here's what I'd do and I'm well within my rights regardless of state. Say someone attacks me. I hold them at gun point while dialing 911. Should they flee I let them go. Should they keep coming at me I stop them with a limb shot. Keep coming? Then a shot to the torso. Any GJ will no-bill me, even in criminal-tolerate states like New Jersey, California or Massachusetts. For real. It's just common sense. Should you not like it then Constitutional Amendment.

Slide 14- Nobody knows how many Americans own guns or how many they own because it would entail a federal registry and that's unconstitutional. Don't like it. Constitutional Amendment. Notice how we keep circling back to that requirement. Do "gun control" the right way.

Slide 16- Yet despite all the NRA gun safety training and 125,000 certified instructors there's still gun violence. Maybe we need to expand the NRA even more.

Slide 17- Mental illness. Bring back the insane asylums. Can't afford to house them? Then we know what needs to be done. Again, treat the disease not the symptom. Society will be better off in the long run.

Slide 19- Concealed and open carry. Its proliferation is in direct correlation to an increase in crime. Treat the symptom not the disease. Defund the police movement doesn;t help, either.

Slide 20- There's always UPS and Fedex.

Slide 21- 'America has more guns than people'. And we also have the most individual liberties. It's a tradeoff. If gun violence was so bad then why do immigrants flock here in droves.

Slide 22- 'States with more guns have higher firearm fatalities'. States with more traffic congestion have higher traffic fatalities.

Slide 23- '2,000 US mass shootings since Sandy Hook'. The source excludes certain shootings such as gang-related and domestic events. Oh how convenient. They're cherry-picking the data.

Slide 27- Five states exempt from federal gun laws. I don't have a problem with it. After all, we are supposed to be a loose confederation of states coming together only when threated from the outside. At least we were up until the Civil War. Then the power aphrodisiac took hold of Washington, DC.

Slide 33- 'Domestic violence lead cause of adolescent shootings'. But in Slide 23 you claim domestic gun violence does not matter.

Slide 38- 'National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed in response to gang violence'. It also banned the public from buying automatic weapons, aka "assault weapons." So there's that.

Slide 39- 'There are more than 2,000 US gun shows a year'. So what. It's a trade show. It's commerce. And any dealer must perform background checks.

Slide 40- the vast majority of guns are unregistered after point-of-sale. So these figures are meaningless.

Slide 44- '7 states and DC have assault weapons bans'. The NFA of 1934 already bans automatic weapons so these laws are redundant. And Washington state has a law against hunting bigfoot. Does that mean it exists. Repeat after me (whispering like Joe Biden does): there are no assault weapons, aka weapons-of-war, in civilian hands. With very few exceptions such as you inherited a Thompson submachine gun from your great grandfather who bought it during Prohibition. Translation: rare.

Slide 47- 'There are loopholes in background checks'. Negative! There's no such thing as a "private gun vendor." The liability alone dissuades anyone from selling a gun for profit without a license. Period. You gun control proponents just make $hit up on the fly to support your narrative.

Slide 50- I think I'll buy a house in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Thank you. And let's keep it real.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and TN Lion

Ski

May 29, 2001
RE: Slide 20

The Nonmailable Firearms Act of 1927 banned shipping some firearms through USPS, not all of them.

I just shipped a shotgun using the USPS from Illinois to the manufacturer in Ohio, which worked on it and shipped it back to my home address. When I went to the Post Office to ship my weapon, the clerk had to call their supervisor and ask if they were allowed to ship it. If the Post Office workers don't know their own rules then I guess we can't expect MSN/Stacker to know them either.

Mailability

Reactions: Cosmos

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
RE: Slide 20

The Nonmailable Firearms Act of 1927 banned shipping some firearms through USPS, not all of them.

I just shipped a shotgun using the USPS from Illinois to the manufacturer in Ohio, which worked on it and shipped it back to my home address. When I went to the Post Office to ship my weapon, the clerk had to call their supervisor and ask if they were allowed to ship it. If the Post Office workers don't know their own rules then I guess we can't expect MSN/Stacker to know them either.

Mailability

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! Should not have happened. But to your point, not only do USPS workers not know the rules but the FBI failed to stop the following mass shootings when it had every opportunity to do so: Charleston Church, Orlando Night Club, Marjorie Stoneham Douglas School and Sutherland Springs Church. Now I ask, why do we need more laws when we do not (or cannot) enforce the existing ones! That's rhetorical. The answer is this is not about 'saving lives'. This is about expanding government control. Period. End of story.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state

I preface my comments by saying people in other countries don't have the personal liberties we have. If gun violence is so bad then why do immigrants flock here. That's a rhetorical question. They come here to escape poverty and tyranny. Neither of which we have but progressives are working on it. That said, here are some salient points...

Slide 4- underscore 'approximately' with respect to sales because it's illegal for the government to track gun sales. Don't like it? Do a Constitutional Amendment. Until then try to come and take it.

Slide 5- Wrong! The Second Amendment's sole purpose is not to permit US states to create militias (as if the states need federal permission, anyway). Back then we were a society of subsistence hunters. What did you expect hunters to use, bows and arrows. And it's not like people don't hunt anymore. 38.8M hunting license issued in 2020. “Contextual reading is quite enlightening.” This is your typical coastal elitist, narcissistic viewpoint on full display.

Slide 7- RE: most people want stricter gun controls. That's an open-ended answer to and open-ended question. Most people want more free stuff, too, until you show them how much their taxes will increase. Regarding mechanisms, there's already a ban on straw purchases as well as a mandatory background check with "red flag." The problem is most mass shootings happen because the FBI fails to execute. So we don't need more laws. Again and for the millionth time, there's no such thing as an "assault weapon" (aka a weapon-of-war) in civilian hands. How's the government going to enforce safe storage requirements? Come into your home unannounced for a spot check. Serious gun owners already keep their weapons secured. Only criminals walk around with their @sses hanging out. Here's an idea. Rather than do away with guns let's do away with criminals. What a novel concept! Yeah, let's treat the disease rather than the symptom. Moreover, I would argue modern politics is the bane of man's existence.

Slide 10- there's no such thing as a "background check loophole." That's an Everytown USA talking point. The issue at hand is this: should we allow non-dealer sales of firearms without a background check. Unthankfully, 21 states the DC don't allow you to sell your firearm to another person. What does Texas do. Well, it requires you to document an intrastate transfer and ask the buyer some basic questions such as, is he a felon. But it doesn't require you to verify it. Texas disallows interstate person-to-person transfers of firearms. Those must go through a dealer. Imagine living in a state where you can't sell your used car without going through a dealer. Sound farfetched? That's next. This is all about the state exerting control for control leads to power and power is the ultimate aphrodisiac. It's why the Bill of Rights exists.

Slide 13- 34 states have a Stand Your Ground law with a duty to retreat. Here's what I'd do and I'm well within my rights regardless of state. Say someone attacks me. I hold them at gun point while dialing 911. Should they flee I let them go. Should they keep coming at me I stop them with a limb shot. Keep coming? Then a shot to the torso. Any GJ will no-bill me, even in criminal-tolerate states like New Jersey, California or Massachusetts. For real. It's just common sense. Should you not like it then Constitutional Amendment.

Slide 14- Nobody knows how many Americans own guns or how many they own because it would entail a federal registry and that's unconstitutional. Don't like it. Constitutional Amendment. Notice how we keep circling back to that requirement. Do "gun control" the right way.

Slide 16- Yet despite all the NRA gun safety training and 125,000 certified instructors there's still gun violence. Maybe we need to expand the NRA even more.

Slide 17- Mental illness. Bring back the insane asylums. Can't afford to house them? Then we know what needs to be done. Again, treat the disease not the symptom. Society will be better off in the long run.

Slide 19- Concealed and open carry. Its proliferation is in direct correlation to an increase in crime. Treat the symptom not the disease. Defund the police movement doesn;t help, either.

Slide 21- 'America has more guns than people'. And we also have the most individual liberties. It's a tradeoff. If gun violence was so bad then why do immigrants flock here in droves.

Slide 22- 'States with more guns have higher firearm fatalities'. States with more traffic congestion have higher traffic fatalities.

Slide 23- '2,000 US mass shootings since Sandy Hook'. The source excludes certain shootings such as gang-related and domestic events. Oh how convenient. They're cherry-picking the data.

Slide 27- Five states exempt from federal gun laws. I don't have a problem with it. After all, we are supposed to be a loose confederation of states coming together only when threated from the outside. At least we were up until the Civil War. Then the power aphrodisiac took hold of Washington, DC.

Slide 33- 'Domestic violence lead cause of adolescent shootings'. But in Slide 23 you claim domestic gun violence does not matter.

Slide 38- 'National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed in response to gang violence'. It also banned the public from buying automatic weapons, aka "assault weapons." So there's that.

Slide 39- 'There are more than 2,000 US gun shows a year'. So what. It's a trade show. It's commerce. And any dealer must perform background checks.

Slide 40- the vast majority of guns are unregistered after point-of-sale. So these figures are meaningless.

Slide 44- '7 states and DC have assault weapons bans'. The NFA of 1934 already bans automatic weapons so these laws are redundant. And Washington state has a law against hunting bigfoot. Does that mean it exists. Repeat after me (whispering like Joe Biden does): there are no assault weapons, aka weapons-of-war, in civilian hands. With very few exceptions such as you inherited a Thompson submachine gun from your great grandfather who bought it during Prohibition. Translation: rare.

Slide 47- 'There are loopholes in background checks'. Negative! There's no such thing as a "private gun vendor." The liability alone dissuades anyone from selling a gun for profit without a license. Period. You gun control proponents just make $hit up on the fly to support your narrative.

Wow, wow, wow and slide 5 wrong! The Second Amendment is not about hunting at all. It is about giving the people the power to resist a tyrannical government. The entire Constitution is about trying to limit the power of the government. Yet the Founders knew that government always grows beyond the intent of the people.

They lived under a king they feared and hated. They knew that ownership of weapons was their best protection. They feared government so much they didn’t even want a standing army. And having the weapons under the control of the citizens instead of in government controlled storehouses was critical to Liberty and freedom. The Second is about empowering the citizenry to defend themselves from their own government.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Wow, wow, wow and slide 5 wrong! The Second Amendment is not about hunting at all. It is about giving the people the power to resist a tyrannical government. The entire Constitution is about trying to limit the power of the government. Yet the Founders knew that government always grows beyond the intent of the people.

They lived under a king they feared and hated. They knew that ownership of weapons was their best protection. They feared government so much they didn’t even want a standing army. And having the weapons under the control of the citizens instead of in government controlled storehouses was critical to Liberty and freedom. The Second is about empowering the citizenry to defend themselves from their own government.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem. Where do I say it's about hunting?? I merely refute the assertion that states need federal permission to raise militias and that guns were more mainstream back then than they are now, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, we agree. 2A is a check against tyranny.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Do you have a reading comprehension problem. Where do I say it's about hunting?? I merely refute the assertion that states need federal permission to raise militias and that guns were more mainstream back then than they are now, for obvious reasons. Otherwise, we agree. 2A is a check against tyranny.
No, I do not. You have a conceptual writing problem. Nowhere did you mention tyranny, big government, liberty, freedom, or any of those ideals but went on about hunting.

Slide 5- Wrong! The Second Amendment's sole purpose is not to permit US states to create militias (as if the states need federal permission, anyway). Back then we were a society of subsistence hunters. What did you expect hunters to use, bows and arrows. And it's not like people don't hunt anymore. 38.8M hunting license issued in 2020. Contextual reading is quite enlightening.” This is your typical coastal elitist, narcissistic viewpoint on full display.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
No, I do not. You have a conceptual writing problem. Nowhere did you mention tyranny, big government, liberty, freedom, or any of those ideals but went on about hunting.

Slide 5- Wrong! The Second Amendment's sole purpose is not to permit US states to create militias (as if the states need federal permission, anyway). Back then we were a society of subsistence hunters. What did you expect hunters to use, bows and arrows. And it's not like people don't hunt anymore. 38.8M hunting license issued in 2020. Contextual reading is quite enlightening.” This is your typical coastal elitist, narcissistic viewpoint on full display.

The operative words here are 'sole purpose'. Try again...

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
The thing with the gun issue is that the people that want to ban guns have very little working knowledge regarding guns. Outside of the talking points they get from huffpo and msdnc. Begging the question. Why should they get input into decisions they are not qualified to make?

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
The operative words here are 'sole purpose'. Try again...
Admit it, you screwed up. You said ‘sole purpose’ to eliminate militias as the reason for A2. Then you you went on about hunting which was a very small reason for the founders to protect the ownership of arms. Never mentioned to overwhelming reason of tyranny and liberty.

And they said ‘arms’ not guns. People use guns for hunting........ arms included things like cannon, mortars, and armed ships. Not things that people use for hunting.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Admit it, you screwed up. You said ‘sole purpose’ to eliminate militias as the reason for A2. Then you you went on about hunting which was a very small reason for the founders to protect the ownership of arms. Never mentioned to overwhelming reason of tyranny and liberty.

And they said ‘arms’ not guns. People use guns for hunting........ arms included things like cannon, mortars, and armed ships. Not things that people use for hunting.

Come again?! The article makes the claim. I don't. I merely point out the fact we weren't the agrarian society then that we are today. So having a gun around the house was necessary to put food on the table. Right now coastal elites rely on flyover states put food on the table, and they do it while they $hit on us. Not a smart move in my book. I guess they need to be taught a lesson. :cool:

Again, here's the text from Slide 5...

The Second Amendment is at odds with modern politics

The Constitutional definition regarding “the right to bear arms” is questionable in an age of mass shootings, dividing many Americans whose opinions on gun ownership differ. The Atlantic reports that while the “contextual reading is quite enlightening” in the amendment, its initial and sole purpose was to permit U.S. states to create armed militias legally.

I don't know about you but I find the assertion not only intellectually dishonest (i.e., a lie) but downright insulting. We all know 2A serves a larger purpose. We're reminded each time the lunatic left tries to infringe upon it.

Lastly and regarding 'arms', what is a shotgun but a hand cannon. Need a mortar? Then fire one in defilade! Those arms are restricted by the NFA of 1934 which is unconstitutional because it was not done via constitutional amendment. Then the argument over what civilians can (or cannot) own vis-a-vis what the military has becomes one of 'restriction' vs. 'infringement'. A good discourse regarding its constitutionality can be found here...

So in the final analysis we have had a law on-the-books for some 80 years that is legal out of convenience, and that convenience is for the benefit of the government.

Thank you.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Come again?! The article makes the claim. I don't. I merely point out the fact we weren't the agrarian society then that we are today. So having a gun around the house was necessary to put food on the table. Right now coastal elites rely on flyover states put food on the table, and they do it while they $hit on us. Not a smart move in my book. I guess they need to be taught a lesson. :cool:

Again, here's the text from Slide 5...

The Second Amendment is at odds with modern politics

The Constitutional definition regarding “the right to bear arms” is questionable in an age of mass shootings, dividing many Americans whose opinions on gun ownership differ. The Atlantic reports that while the “contextual reading is quite enlightening” in the amendment, its initial and sole purpose was to permit U.S. states to create armed militias legally.

I don't know about you but I find the assertion not only intellectually dishonest (i.e., a lie) but downright insulting. We all know 2A serves a larger purpose. We're reminded each time the lunatic left tries to infringe upon it.

Lastly and regarding 'arms', what is a shotgun but a hand cannon. Need a mortar? Then fire one in defilade! Those arms are restricted by the NFA of 1934 which is unconstitutional because it was not done via constitutional amendment. Then the argument over what civilians can (or cannot) own vis-a-vis what the military has becomes one of 'restriction' vs. 'infringement'. A good discourse regarding its constitutionality can be found here...

So in the final analysis we have had a law on-the-books for some 80 years that is legal out of convenience, and that convenience is for the benefit of the government.

Thank you.
Ok, since you asked I will come again.

Your points were to repudiate the article so you should not have used hunting as justification for A2. You could have mentioned hunting but expounded on ‘what everyone knows’ since most don’t know that defense from tyranny is the main gist for it.

I am repeatedly pointing this out because an awful lot of people believe hunting is the reason for the A2. And because of this belief they want to ban pistols, especially any other than revolvers, allowing only long weapons used in hunting. Many also think that all weapons should be held at hunting clubs or elsewhere outside the home.

It is imperative that we all need to be definitive in explaining the real reason for the right to bear arms.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Ok, since you asked I will come again.

Your points were to repudiate the article so you should not have used hunting as justification for A2. You could have mentioned hunting but expounded on ‘what everyone knows’ since most don’t know that defense from tyranny is the main gist for it.

I am repeatedly pointing this out because an awful lot of people believe hunting is the reason for the A2. And because of this belief they want to ban pistols, especially any other than revolvers, allowing only long weapons used in hunting. Many also think that all weapons should be held at hunting clubs or elsewhere outside the home.

It is imperative that we all need to be definitive in explaining the real reason for the right to bear arms.

I own a gun but don't hunt. I suspect I'm like most gun owners because 38.8M hunting licenses issued in 2020 vs...

According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, 67% of gun owners say protection is the reason they own a gun. By comparison, roughly 4 out of 10 (38%) cite hunting as a major reason, and just 3 out of 10 cite sport shooting. This is a marked change from the 1990s, when 57% of gun owners said they owned a gun for hunting or target/sport shooting.

So that given the recent trends in what motivates people to buy I think it goes without saying. Not my intention to cite hunting as the primary reason.

brupsu

Aug 7, 2003
I have sold off most of my guns.I have been a hunter since my early teens and played dog before that.Used to come home all torn up from thorns etc.Right of passage stuff.
Now I would consider myself a protect mode owner.Not as limber as I used to be.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
I did have a problem with the shoot a limb part... very few people (cops included, since adrenaline changes everything) are skilled enough in that moment to pick and choose where to shoot. You aim center mass (better put, aim small, miss small... meaning pick a small part -- center mass -- and even if you miss that sweet spot, you get something good close by).

Many years ago i read a court decision (so sorry i can't find it) that effectively said that to resist a corrupt government the people must have the means to do... the point being we the citizens were within our rights to possess whatever weaponry the gummint had to use against us. I think the decision happened nearly a century ago, so i doubt the court was contemplating citizens with tanks, nukes, etc. lol. But, point taken.

To wit... how do we fend off tyranny absent the means to combat the asshats running the shitshow?

Reactions: bourbon n blues