ADVERTISEMENT

Ski lovers rejoice ... the race to open is on...

bwifan

Been an incredible stretch out west for snow and cold. First a large early season snow storm then a big cold shot. A Basin, Keystone, Loveland and Wolf Creek are racing to open first now running snow guns 24/7. Wolf Creek has announced opening this weekend just for the weekend and rumors flying A Basin and Loveland trying to open tomorrow. Even Utah is in on the action with over 2 feet of natural snow and Snowbird has cranked on their snow guns to open. Bottom line rejoice as winter is nigh... One down side is big early season snowstorms are not good for the base and with the fluctuating temps makes for a very unstable base and lots of slides. But enjoy as winter is here and their webcams are fun to watch and see all the snow ....

Going to Steamboat this February. First time skiing in 14 years after 17 consecutive seasons before that break in action.

Reactions: bwifan
Enjoy it what a wonderful place. Not sure if he does it still but you can ski with Billy Kidd ... sign up what at the spot outside and he ski's right up with his trademark hat on
We love Steamboat. Skied there at least 7 or 8 seasons. It’s where my kids learned to ski. We were approached by some of the instructors who had been observing our older daughter when she was still a child and they asked us if we would be interested in enrolling her in their winter sports program, a developmental program for the Olympic team. Unfortunately that would mean moving to Steamboat, which was not compatible with my job situation. She still is a heck of a skier and has no problem tackling the double diamond slopes.

Reactions: bwifan and sluggo72
Might go to Keystone and Breckenridge in February. Any tips/tricks/suggestions would be appreciated.

Both great places ...depending on what you are looking for and how long you will be skiing it might be worth buying an Ikon or Epic pass. Breck is great with a cool town. I enjoy both places and can't go wrong. If you want apres ski and ski town vibe but expensive I would lean towards Breck.

Ironically I just moments ago bought son1s ikon pass (merry Christmas Son1
My twins also bought Ikon passes. They get you into quite a number of places. They and their friends are still working out where they want to go for a January ski trip. They will use the Ikon pass in Tahoe before then, assuming we get some meaningful snow this winter. Fingers crossed.

Both great places ...depending on what you are looking for and how long you will be skiing it might be worth buying an Ikon or Epic pass. Breck is great with a cool town. I enjoy both places and can't go wrong. If you want apres ski and ski town vibe but expensive I would lean towards Breck.

Yup, got the Epic. My 11 and 13 year olds and I are coming from the northeast. Was thinking of staying at Keystone with a daytrip to Breckenridge. I like to stay on groomed blues/blacks while kids love to venture into the trees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT