ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers/NBA draft lottery tonight

Right now, I'd say Josh Jackson would be my pick. At #3 you can not make a mistake and you have to get a player that will contribute. Everyone is saying the Sixe biggest need is outside shooting -- and that is correct -- but they also have an opening at SF.

IMO, Jackson is the safest pick. His game checks off every box as either "very good" or "excellent", except outside shooting. Athletic ability, ball handling, defense, rebounding, coach-ability, character, hustle, run the floor.... check, check, check, check .....

Even if Jackson does not develop a better outside shot, he still gives you an extremely athletic 6'8" SF, who gets you 12-15 PPG based on running the floor, 5-8 RPG, 1-2 steals per game and provides very good defense vs. other team's SF. IMO, worst-case scenario for Jackson is that you draft a very reliable, very good defensive SF who will be in the league 10 years +.

I'm not sure the other candidates at #3 are that reliable.

I too think Jackson at #3 could be the most reliable. But I certainly would not give him a "check" for character. Hit and run of a park d car and then threatening to beat a woman. Not something you brush over and say he just has great character.

Keep in mind, most NBA pundits say the Sixers need to get of one first round pick in the upcoming years due to future compensation issues. I hope they can keep the SAC pick.

Too high. There's no guarantee that Fultz (or Ball) is gonna be a better pro than either Jackson or Monk. Giving up two first round picks to move up two spots? No.

Absolutely disagree. Fultz is THE guy in this draft. Can do it all. Great ball handler, great shooter and a plus defender. The NBA isn't about quantity of players but about quality. It's a league where the team with the most superstars wins. Period. If the Sixers believe Embiid, Simmons and Fultz can be stars there really is no price too high to pay. Let's hope they are right.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Absolutely disagree. Fultz is THE guy in this draft. Can do it all. Great ball handler, great shooter and a plus defender. The NBA isn't about quantity of players but about quality. It's a league where the team with the most superstars wins. Period. If the Sixers believe Embiid, Simmons and Fultz can be stars there really is no price too high to pay. Let's hope they are right.
Aren't you a bit concerned about his results at the Univ. of Washington?

2015-16 season before Fultz they went 19-15 and played in NIT
2016-17 season with Fultz, they went 9-22 and finished 11th in their conference

Fultz does appear to be the best player in the draft, though only time will tell if he is the best player in the draft.

That said, Boston could ask for a lot of things that do make the price too high to pay.

Boston has Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier and Demetrius Jackson that already fill the role that Fultz would play. So while Fultz is an excellent player, the Celtics really don't need him. Were they to draft him, they'd have to cut one of the aforementioned -- probably Jackson.

A trade could be a win-win for both teams, but the price has to be right. The Sixers have a lot of needs. Fultz would fill one of them, but he's not the only player in the draft that will fill one of their needs. So they should not give up a lot to move up to get Fultz. While Boston can ask for whatever they want for Fultz, other teams know that Boston doesn't need him, so Boston really isn't in a strong selling position.

If I were the Sixers, I'd give up their 1st this year and some combo of 2nd round picks this year or a future year or a current player (not Embiid, Simmons, Saric, or Holmes). I would not give up an additional future 1st round pick (Sixers, Lakers next year, or Kings in 2019) to move up 2 spots in the draft.

If Colangelo gives up any 1st round pick beyond the Sixers this year to make the trade, then he'll be another GM that got fleeced by Ainge.

Reactions: bmw199
I think the Celts want Okafor. I would guess the number 3 and Okafor (or next year's Lakers pick - which should be about number 10). IF the 76ers are sure Embiid will be healthy I make that deal. You can't afford to keep two starting centers.

You go and get the superstar. In the NBA, 2 50 cent players aren't worth a dollar. This is what all Hinkie's accumulation of assets was for. Time to cash them in. Simmons, Embid, Fultz is a superstar trio all young that you can now fill in some pieces around them.

Reactions: NJPSU and SUPERTODD
Aren't you a bit concerned about his results at the Univ. of Washington?

2015-16 season before Fultz they went 19-15 and played in NIT
2016-17 season with Fultz, they went 9-22 and finished 11th in their conference

Washington was a super young team that lost 2 first round picks and a senior starter the year before. They didn't have a single upperclassman in the top 6 of their rotation. Romar was also a lame duck coach and on his last legs.

I don't really care about college success either, we've seen it doesn't matter at all. It's about how the player projects at the NBA level, and Fultz projects incredibly well in the NBA.

Once upon a time, Red Auerbach turned the top pick(Joe Barely Cares) into Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish. Celts want LA pick in next year's draft...unprotected. Plus the third this year.

Per Adrian Wojnarowski - The proposed deal is:

Sixers get #1
Celtics get #3, LAL 2018 pick, PHI 2021 1st (with protections)

Would not do it. It's clear that Celtics are not taking Fultz and believe they are getting the player they want anyway at 3. I'd tell Ainge to forget it. Celtics want Jackson and figure LA takes Ball. Prob is Magic could screw it all up and take Jackson 2.

Would not do it. It's clear that Celtics are not taking Fultz and believe they are getting the player they want anyway at 3. I'd tell Ainge to forget it. Celtics want Jackson and figure LA takes Ball. Prob is Magic could screw it all up and take Jackson 2.

You can't run a franchise in fear of what Ainge is doing. Boston's motives appear pretty clear to me after seeing Sam Vecenie on Twitter talk about this yesterday and running the cap numbers myself.

Boston is just short of being able to offer maximum cap space to Gordon Hayward. Hayward is set for a 30% max, and Boston is just around $700k short. The #1 pick makes approximately $700k more than the #3 pick next season.

So, for Boston to be able to make a maximum contract offer, they need to do one of three things, (1) trade #1, (2) trade an active player on the roster, or (3) waive Tyler Zeller's non-guaranteed salary for next season.

Option 1 makes the most sense for Boston from this perspective. One, while they give up the #1 pick, they also get other pick assets from the Sixers to make a trade for Jimmy Butler or Paul George more viable. And probably even more importantly, they don't have to give up stuff to limit their maneuverability in a future Butler or George trade.

While waiving Zeller's non-guaranteed salary seems like an attractive option on paper, it also comes at the cost of waiving a potentially valuable contract for trade purposes. Zeller is making somewhere around $8m next season, and a trade for George or Butler will need to have outgoing salaries match their incoming salaries if Boston is able to max out Gordon Hayward, for instance.

So, Boston has the opportunity to add Gordon Hayward, and one of Jimmy Butler/Paul George, and the Sixers have the opportunity to add Markelle Fultz to one of the most promising young cores in the league. It's a win-win for both teams. It also can't be ignored that maybe Boston is not sold on Fultz, but I don't think that's it. I think this signals that they've bought in to Isaiah Thomas being able to help them compete for a title.

Now, I think Boston is being a bit foolish because I'm not convinced an IT, Horford, Butler/George, Hayward team is beating Cleveland, but I admire their gumption to try at least.

You can't run a franchise in fear of what Ainge is doing. Boston's motives appear pretty clear to me after seeing Sam Vecenie on Twitter talk about this yesterday and running the cap numbers myself.

Boston is just short of being able to offer maximum cap space to Gordon Hayward. Hayward is set for a 30% max, and Boston is just around $700k short. The #1 pick makes approximately $700k more than the #3 pick next season.

So, for Boston to be able to make a maximum contract offer, they need to do one of three things, (1) trade #1, (2) trade an active player on the roster, or (3) waive Tyler Zeller's non-guaranteed salary for next season.

Option 1 makes the most sense for Boston from this perspective. One, while they give up the #1 pick, they also get other pick assets from the Sixers to make a trade for Jimmy Butler or Paul George more viable. And probably even more importantly, they don't have to give up stuff to limit their maneuverability in a future Butler or George trade.

While waiving Zeller's non-guaranteed salary seems like an attractive option on paper, it also comes at the cost of waiving a potentially valuable contract for trade purposes. Zeller is making somewhere around $8m next season, and a trade for George or Butler will need to have outgoing salaries match their incoming salaries if Boston is able to max out Gordon Hayward, for instance.

So, Boston has the opportunity to add Gordon Hayward, and one of Jimmy Butler/Paul George, and the Sixers have the opportunity to add Markelle Fultz to one of the most promising young cores in the league. It's a win-win for both teams. It also can't be ignored that maybe Boston is not sold on Fultz, but I don't think that's it. I think this signals that they've bought in to Isaiah Thomas being able to help them compete for a title.

Now, I think Boston is being a bit foolish because I'm not convinced an IT, Horford, Butler/George, Hayward team is beating Cleveland, but I admire their gumption to try at least.

Problem is that you can't overplay your hand and the Sixers might have done that if the Celtics know that each team prefers a different player. In that regard, Boston gets their player at 3 and saves money as you note and picks up a very valuable future asset that they can use likely in a deal. Only thing that gums up the works is the Lakers pick if they DONT take a Ball. I think that the Celtics know who the Sixers want and it is NOT the player they want.

Stephen A said Ainge is playing chess, the other GM's are playing checkers.

Problem is that you can't overplay your hand and the Sixers might have done that if the Celtics know that each team prefers a different player. In that regard, Boston gets their player at 3 and saves money as you note and picks up a very valuable future asset that they can use likely in a deal. Only thing that gums up the works is the Lakers pick if they DONT take a Ball. I think that the Celtics know who the Sixers want and it is NOT the player they want.

So we shouldn't do the trade because Boston likes Josh Jackson or some other prospect? I don't understand the logic. This trade benefits us a lot.

Reactions: Judge Smails
So we shouldn't do the trade because Boston likes Josh Jackson or some other prospect? I don't understand the logic. This trade benefits us a lot.

The point is the Sixers might get the exact player they want WITHOUT giving up ANYTHING. I'm saying that it is very likely that the Sixers and Celtics want different players that BOTH can get without making a trade. It's very interesting obviously and I would not dismiss that the Lakers could screw it up.

If I had to guess, Boston wants Jackson over Fultz but would the Lakers take Jackson over Ball at 2 if the Sixers move up into the 1 spot and take Fultz.

Going to be an interesting couple of days.

Reports this afternoon say Fultz killed in in his workout with the Lakers. Off the chart, Lakers want to move up and offer Randle and #2, maybe more, but there are comp and other issues. Let's hope the Sixers can make it happen.

Stephen A is NEVER wrong :) (except always)

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
The point is the Sixers might get the exact player they want WITHOUT giving up ANYTHING. I'm saying that it is very likely that the Sixers and Celtics want different players that BOTH can get without making a trade. It's very interesting obviously and I would not dismiss that the Lakers could screw it up.

If I had to guess, Boston wants Jackson over Fultz but would the Lakers take Jackson over Ball at 2 if the Sixers move up into the 1 spot and take Fultz.

Going to be an interesting couple of days.

I don't think there's a chance the Sixers could get Fultz sitting at 3.

I don't think there's a chance the Sixers could get Fultz sitting at 3.

I would prob agree with you given that Magic could have traded out of 2. Lakers are the team that has played their cards best given that they have been linked to Jackson, Fultz, Fox, and obviously Ball. Some NBA people though say Magic is committed to a point guard so it seems it would be Ball. Biggest issue would be someone trading into 2 to take Fultz if Magic could fall a spot or two and still get Ball.

With this draft though, the best player could be someone taken 5 or 6. There is so little separation at the top of the board which makes for either a scenario of trades to get who you want or sitting pat and taking who is there for you. Issac could very well be the best upside in this draft and you might get him at 6. Ainge is also looking forward, assembling picks to make a move for Butler or to position himself to have so many assets that he can be in position next year to take the skyscraper out of Texas by getting to top pick in draft.

Maybe we will never know, but my guess is Fultz was not what Boston wanted and they get who they want (Jackson) at the end of the day with additional goodies to boot.

I think that the Celtics know who the Sixers want and it is NOT the player they want.

Agree. Celtics want Jackson not another guard. Danny has a lot of assets due to the poor decision of the Nets ... making Celtics asset rich with #1 picks. Celtics also got incredibly lucky with the development of I Thomas. Amazing player .... deep 2nd round pick.

FULTZ

fultz-tough-finish.gif

spin-move.gif

fultz_off_the_dribble_3.0.gif

giphy.gif

Celtics already have Thomas, Bradley, Smart, and Rozier in their backcourt. Would have been like the Sixers drafting another center when they already had Noel, Okafor, and Embiid. More about the Celtics depth chart than Fultz, imo.

Jackson would never work out for the Celtics. I think they are going with Tatum.

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT