ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers/NBA draft lottery tonight

Sixers fans - Just my $.02 but I think Jackson is going to be a very good player. Watched him A LOT at KU and he really had an outstanding freshman year, much better than Wiggins had and Wiggins turned into a pretty good NBA player.

Good luck whether it's Jackson or someone else!

Embiid said today the Sixers need to take Jackson...

Reactions: bmw199
Embiid said today the Sixers need to take Jackson...

That COULD be a Jayhawk talking up a fellow Jayhawk.....of course, that's what I did earlier.

I just hope Embiid can get healthy, stay healthy and show everyone how good he is despite really not having played a lot of basketball in his life!

Jackson is an excellent defender and passer/rebounding only thing missing is a consistent outside jumper. IF he develops that he will be a all star ... it's also a big IF

His outside shot in Dec - Jan this past season was pretty mediocre. But it improved as the season went along and by the end of the season was certainly respectable.

Where he really needs to improve is at the free throw line. Not sure what his problem was, but he was awful all year long.

I saw Fultz play in person, and he is remarkably talented and physical. His surrounding cast was, to put it charitably, less than stellar. I would nonetheless take Lonzo Ball over him, because Ball is so incredibly gifted as a passer and ball handler. He reminds me very much of Jason Kidd..

Yeah, I'm no fan of the Ball "baggage", but I really like a PG who makes his team better, and from watching UCLA, Ball definitely does that. Fultz didn't demonstrate that (maybe because he didn't have much around him, but still...).

Jackson is an excellent defender and passer/rebounding only thing missing is a consistent outside jumper. IF he develops that he will be a all star ... it's also a big IF

Jackson is never going to shoot the outside shot like Steph Curry. But that's OK. The Sixers have time and resources --- the core is VERY young, plus they have 2 first round picks in both 2018 and 2019 drafts.

With work I believe Jackson has the skills to develop a very nice 15-18' jumper. And again, for a SF that's OK. But right now he already brings some other very nice skills to the team: excellent defender, good rebounder, good height/length, very athletic, can run the floor, good with ball in hands..... Take those things, add a 15-18' jumper and you have an All-Star at SF.

IF they end up with Jackson they can always go with SG by committee until they land a true sharp shooter to add to Embiid, Saric, Jackson and Simmons.

OK, how does Okafor and the 3 second round picks figure in - trade for future number 1s ???

IF they end up with Jackson they can always go with SG by committee until they land a true sharp shooter to add to Embiid, Saric, Jackson and Simmons.

So if Jackson is still a work in progress with his shot, will they have anyone who is a legit outside shooter? Sad to say in a way, but Embiid might be the best outside shooter of the bunch. They urgently need shooting help, and I'm not sure Jackson is the answer at that spot in the draft.

In the meantime, the Celtics are a team on the rise, coming off an excellent season and now with the #1 overall pick.

So if Jackson is still a work in progress with his shot, will they have anyone who is a legit outside shooter? Sad to say in a way, but Embiid might be the best outside shooter of the bunch. They urgently need shooting help, and I'm not sure Jackson is the answer at that spot in the draft.

In the meantime, the Celtics are a team on the rise, coming off an excellent season and now with the #1 overall pick.

The Sixers aren't going to contend for the title next year. They aren't a finished product. They need shooting. They have $60 million cap room and the Lakers and Kings first round picks the next two years. Their core is in their early 20s. They have time. No one is going to beat the Cavs or Warriors now anyway.

In a podcast recorded after the dust had settled from the NBA Draft Lottery, Adrian Wojnarowski said J.J. Redick, an unrestricted free agent this summer, is being sought not just by the Clippers, but by three Atlantic Division teams, the Nets, Knicks and 76ers.

Woj stated that the Sixers appear to have the most interest, but that the Nets may want to add the 6’4” shooting guard, if the price is right.

“Brooklyn, the Knicks are teams that have interest in Redick. We'll see how far they're willing to pay,” Woj noted.

Redick, who turns 33 in June, averaged 15 points a game this past season, shooting 42.9 percent from deep. Over the past three seasons, he’s shot near 45 percent beyond the arc and averaged 16 points a game. Some have suggested he’s looking for as much as $15 to $20 million per year. That would consume half of what the Nets currently have in cap space.

Woj said Philly would appear to be in the lead for the Duke legend.

“Redick is a guy who at least in the short term who give them a guy who comes in and start to space the floor a little bit and gives them the reason why they wanted Manu Ginobili last year... they wanted Manu to come in and be a mentor, be a veteran.

In a podcast recorded after the dust had settled from the NBA Draft Lottery, Adrian Wojnarowski said J.J. Redick, an unrestricted free agent this summer, is being sought not just by the Clippers, but by three Atlantic Division teams, the Nets, Knicks and 76ers.

Woj stated that the Sixers appear to have the most interest, but that the Nets may want to add the 6’4” shooting guard, if the price is right.

“Brooklyn, the Knicks are teams that have interest in Redick. We'll see how far they're willing to pay,” Woj noted.

Redick, who turns 33 in June, averaged 15 points a game this past season, shooting 42.9 percent from deep. Over the past three seasons, he’s shot near 45 percent beyond the arc and averaged 16 points a game. Some have suggested he’s looking for as much as $15 to $20 million per year. That would consume half of what the Nets currently have in cap space.

Woj said Philly would appear to be in the lead for the Duke legend.

“Redick is a guy who at least in the short term who give them a guy who comes in and start to space the floor a little bit and gives them the reason why they wanted Manu Ginobili last year... they wanted Manu to come in and be a mentor, be a veteran.

IF they end up getting Jackson in the draft at #3 and you have a starting line up of Embiid at C, Saric at PF, Jackson at SF and Simmons at PG then IMO Redick is a perfect piece.

1. He has the outside shot. At 33 he is not a slasher/penetrator, but that's fine. Both Simmons and Jackson are great at dribble penetration. Redick can spot up all game and wait for kick out passes.

2. I like that he's 33 and mature. Like you said in another post. The core nucleus of this team Embiid/Saric/Jackson/Simmons are all about 20 years old.... This group could greatly benefit from a few 33 year old heads in the locker room who have been in the league 10+ years.

They'll have like $60 mil in cap space, so they can even over-pay to get Redick. Normally teams do not want to be strapped with a contract that over-pays a player in not just $$$ but in years. At 33, he truly might be worth just a 2 year deal. In 2 years he'd be 35+ and most likely way past any prime. But even if they had to give him 3 or even 4 years on a deal to get him, this team can afford it.

Last edited:
If the Sixers do draft Josh Jackson, I'd prefer they sign FA Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Patty Mills, or Dion Waiters and pass on Reddick. They still have McConnell, TLC, Stauskas, Bayless, and Henderson on the roster.They could also package a future #1, and Oakafor for a shooter.

Another shooter that will eventually be on the roster, but is on the same timeline as the rest of their core....Korkmaz was named the Best Young Player of the European Basketball Champions League

CAMDEN — Furkan Korkmaz, similar to Dario Saric's situation last year, has a buyout in his contract playing professional basketball in his native Turkey that would allow him to join the NBA.

But, unlike Saric, who was the No. 12 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, Korkmaz went No. 26 in 2016. That means a great deal because Korkmaz's slotted NBA salary in the 2017-18 season would be $1.22 million. Saric's, meanwhile, was $2.32 million during his recently completed rookie year with the Sixers after spending two seasons with Anadolu Efes in Istanbul.

Since the league limits how much every team can contribute toward a buyout, it might not be financially feasible for the 19-year-old Korkmaz to join the Sixers now.

"I believe he’s got a desire to come (to Philadelphia)," Sixers President of Basketball Operations Bryan Colangelo said on Wednesday at the team's training facility. "He’s actually really long and he’s growing. He might be 6-7, 6-8 now and with ball skills. (He's a) good decision-maker, shot-maker (and) does a lot of good things — very interesting player."
Korkmaz, a slender, 190-pound shooting guard, averaged 10.4 points and shot 48.8 percent from 3-point range in eight Basketball Champions League games in Europe. He also plays for Anadolu Efes in Istanbul.

While Korkmaz has put on nine or 10 pounds, he still needs to get stronger and gain more high-level experience.

Colangelo saw Korkmaz play and then sat down to talk with him in Spain during the last week of April. Colangelo said he thinks Korkmaz is "emotionally ready (for the NBA, but) I think physically he’s got a ways to go. Dario was probably farther along, age-wise and experience-wise, when he was coming over."

Colangelo also met with Korkmaz's agent Tuesday.

Since the Sixers would have 11 players already under contract if they bring back point guard T.J. McConnell and don't pick up Gerald Henderson's $9 million team option, the lack of roster spots could be an issue, too. The Sixers possess the No. 3 overall pick in the June 22 draft, along with four second-round selections.

When you factor in that Korkmaz probably wouldn't be ahead of Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot in the shooting guard rotation, another season overseas for Korkmaz seems to make the most sense.

The Philly sports writers are correctly pointing out that the Sixers will face salary issues unless they trade 1-2 of these future 1st round picks. The Sixers are in an enviable spot right now. There is no reason they cant take Jackson, trade Oak and a first rounder for a shooter, and pick up a talented FA.

It is fine to overpay a player as long as they are the right fit and you can afford it. That is Reddick and the Sixers. Get it done. Adding Jackson and Reddick and Sixers are a 4 seed in the east assuming Embid and Simmons can both play a full season.

It is fine to overpay a player as long as they are the right fit and you can afford it. That is Reddick and the Sixers. Get it done. Adding Jackson and Reddick and Sixers are a 4 seed in the east assuming Embid and Simmons can both play a full season.

You can overpay Reddick, like $40 million over two years, and it won't hurt their cap situation. Or make a huge offer for Otto Porter that the Washington Bullets have to match.

Reactions: lionroar88
I wouldn't mind trading up for Fultz bc he can play SG next to Simmons. Something like #3, Ja, and the Sixers first round pick in 2019.

If you stay at 3 then I think Jackson is the pick. You'd have a scary long and agile D with him, Simmons, Cov, and Embiid that you could throw out there. Jackson also seems like he can be a real slasher. Reminds me of a longer Andre Iguodala. We'll see about his shot but it might not matter.

Next years draft is a mixed bag. So it will be interesting to see where the Lakers pick lands us. Maybe we can get Lonnie Walker out of Reading Pa? I don't think the Sixers pick will be in the lottery next year.

I wouldn't mind trading up for Fultz bc he can play SG next to Simmons. Something like #3, Ja, and the Sixers first round pick in 2019.

If you stay at 3 then I think Jackson is the pick. You'd have a scary long and agile D with him, Simmons, Cov, and Embiid that you could throw out there. Jackson also seems like he can be a real slasher. Reminds me of a longer Andre Iguodala. We'll see about his shot but it might not matter.

Next years draft is a mixed bag. So it will be interesting to see where the Lakers pick lands us. Maybe we can get Lonnie Walker out of Reading Pa? I don't think the Sixers pick will be in the lottery next year.

This is kind of what I expected Ainge to ask for since he had interest in Okafor last year. He would def want another first round pick. Fultz is the best fit here for sure.

A lot of people are still saying Fox in that they still question Simmons running the point in a half court offense.

It's truly amazing, a gift, how David Jones is always WRONG.

DeAaron Fox, 6-3 195 PG, Kentucky
My favorite player on the board. I would take him No. 1 over Fultz, Ball or anyone else. And that’s with a .246 3P%, so you know I’m blown away by his other talents.
Philadelphia needs a number-one point guard and I think this is the way to go – a true point who gets shots for everyone and can blow by anyone.

Brett Brown, on how they will use Ben Simmons:
When I say “point guard,” I mean “point guard.” You know, who takes the ball out of bounds, who receives the ball when the ball goes in the basket, who brings it up the floor after a free throw. I’m not talking about Draymond, I’m not talking about LeBron, you know, I’m talking about a point guard. And so I intend on trying this. You always get into conversations, “well that’s fine, who does he guard?” I don’t see him guarding the opposition’s point guard. It could end up he guards who guards him, so you’re not cross-matched in transition defense. Having said that, I expect that other teams aren’t gonna go put Chris Paul on Ben Simmons, or Isaiah Thomas on Ben Simmons. And so I feel like it’s gonna be interesting, it is a challenge, it is ambitious. But my starting point is where I end up, he’s got a quality that he wants the ball and he loves to pass. And so we’re gonna persevere, and see where this plays out.

It's truly amazing, a gift, how David Jones is always WRONG.

DeAaron Fox, 6-3 195 PG, Kentucky
My favorite player on the board. I would take him No. 1 over Fultz, Ball or anyone else. And that’s with a .246 3P%, so you know I’m blown away by his other talents.
Philadelphia needs a number-one point guard and I think this is the way to go – a true point who gets shots for everyone and can blow by anyone.

Brett Brown, on how they will use Ben Simmons:
When I say “point guard,” I mean “point guard.” You know, who takes the ball out of bounds, who receives the ball when the ball goes in the basket, who brings it up the floor after a free throw. I’m not talking about Draymond, I’m not talking about LeBron, you know, I’m talking about a point guard. And so I intend on trying this. You always get into conversations, “well that’s fine, who does he guard?” I don’t see him guarding the opposition’s point guard. It could end up he guards who guards him, so you’re not cross-matched in transition defense. Having said that, I expect that other teams aren’t gonna go put Chris Paul on Ben Simmons, or Isaiah Thomas on Ben Simmons. And so I feel like it’s gonna be interesting, it is a challenge, it is ambitious. But my starting point is where I end up, he’s got a quality that he wants the ball and he loves to pass. And so we’re gonna persevere, and see where this plays out.
His passing highlights from summer ball were amazing last year. Another thing that could help Jackson's lack of shot, he could be open and receive the ball a lot closer to the rim with the Sixers than he did at Kansas and he still scored there.

I would not be so certain that the Celtics pick Fultz. Much like the Philly fans blasted the Sixers for taking Centers in 3 straight drafts because it duplicated skill sets, the Celtics would be in a situation of adding Fultz to an already good back court. The Celtics back court is very good. The Celtics need help at F & C. Even though Fultz is probably the best player in the draft, I'd bet that if either Jackson or Tatum totally wows them in individual workouts, they would seriously consider taking one of those forwards over Fultz.

Do they take the best player in the draft... Fultz? Or do they take a very good player, just a notch below Fultz who also happens to fill a greater need.

There are approx. 30 days until the draft. This is when teams begin to dissect prospects with magnifying lenses and fine tooth combs. They actually begin to scout a player based on "why we should NOT draft him" instead of "why we SHOULD draft him".

Do not rule out either Tatum or Jackson emerging as the Celtics pick by draft night.

I would not be so certain that the Celtics pick Fultz. Much like the Philly fans blasted the Sixers for taking Centers in 3 straight drafts because it duplicated skill sets, the Celtics would be in a situation of adding Fultz to an already good back court. The Celtics back court is very good. The Celtics need help at F & C. Even though Fultz is probably the best player in the draft, I'd bet that if either Jackson or Tatum totally wows them in individual workouts, they would seriously consider taking one of those forwards over Fultz.

Do they take the best player in the draft... Fultz? Or do they take a very good player, just a notch below Fultz who also happens to fill a greater need.

There are approx. 30 days until the draft. This is when teams begin to dissect prospects with magnifying lenses and fine tooth combs. They actually begin to scout a player based on "why we should NOT draft him" instead of "why we SHOULD draft him".

Do not rule out either Tatum or Jackson emerging as the Celtics pick by draft night.

Man, Avery Bradley is so good. I don't know the contract status of all of their guards. When do they have to pay Bradley and thomas?

In your scenario, Aimee would trade out of #1 and get additional assets. There are too many teams that want Fultz for the Celts to just pass on him at #1. They need to use the leverage they have.

I'm starting to like the idea of the Sixers trading Okafor, #3 and a future #1 to move up. They can't find roster spots for all these picks, let alone afford to pay them in several years.

In your scenario, Aimee would trade out of #1 and get additional assets. There are too many teams that want Fultz for the Celts to just pass on him at #1. They need to use the leverage they have.

I'm starting to like the idea of the Sixers trading Okafor, #3 and a future #1 to move up. They can't find roster spots for all these picks, let alone afford to pay them in several years.
As long as they keep the Kings pick. They are a dumpster fire and that could end up being a #1 overall in 2019. I would love to get Walker and Reddish the next two years.

Reactions: WestSideLion
My dream scenario:
1. The actual card with "Sixers" gets slotted into the #7 slot (the worst they can pick)

2. The card with "Lakers" gets slotted into the #4 slot

The lottery has already happened but this was actually an impossible scenario given the protections on the pick. For the Sixers to have picked 7th, they would have needed 3 teams to jump into the lottery, and since the Lakers were top 3, they would have ended up 6th in that scenario.

I'd prefer they sign FA Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Patty Mills, or Dion Waiters and pass on Reddick

This is quite an odd list of players to me. KCP I would love, but I think the Pistons will match any offer that's made for him. Mills is a sensible target, but they also already have Bayless to do basically the same thing. I would be very much a fan if we never set eyes on Dion Waiters, he's not good.

This is quite an odd list of players to me. KCP I would love, but I think the Pistons will match any offer that's made for him. Mills is a sensible target, but they also already have Bayless to do basically the same thing. I would be very much a fan if we never set eyes on Dion Waiters, he's not good.

All have been mentioned in multiple times in recent weeks by the Philly press. Waiters actually stepped up and had a what might have been his best year yet. So Detroit is in a posistion to offer KCP a max contract? Bayless has yet to start physical contact. Hopefully he is healed.

All signs point to Celtics taking Fultz with the pick. There was some discussion about the pick and Jimmy Butler or Paul George but it appears Celtics are in good position with the guy from Utah. Celtics are in a very enviable position both this year and next. It's at least possible they get Fultz this year and the kid who will be going to Texas. The Celtics are poised for a LONG run if a couple of breaks that are very possible go their way.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of Simmons at the PG unless you are going for a pure Magic Johnson type talent. I really think the way the Lebron has been used the last couple of years is ideal for players of that talent and size.

I don't like the idea of Simmons at the PG unless you are going for a pure Magic Johnson type talent. I really think the way the Lebron has been used the last couple of years is ideal for players of that talent and size.

This is what the Sixers brass seems to believe. Have seen several quotes from Brown stating that he totally believes Simmons can be the full time PG ... when the Sixers have the ball. Brown did concede that Simmons would probably have trouble guarding the other team's PG on defense, but when the Sixers have the ball Simmons would be their PG.

If Fox from Kentucky had a better outside shot he'd be a good fit. His rep on defense is that he's very quick, excellent feet, anticipates pass lanes... Excellent defensive player. So when the other team has the ball, Fox simply covers the PG. But he does not have a very good outside shot. Which hurts because when the Sixers have the ball he'd be a the #2 spot.

I want the Sixers to take Monk. He is the best shooter in the draft. Could trade down b/c he should be there at 5 or 6 and we can get one or two additional need players.

This is what the Sixers brass seems to believe. Have seen several quotes from Brown stating that he totally believes Simmons can be the full time PG ... when the Sixers have the ball. Brown did concede that Simmons would probably have trouble guarding the other team's PG on defense, but when the Sixers have the ball Simmons would be their PG.

If Fox from Kentucky had a better outside shot he'd be a good fit. His rep on defense is that he's very quick, excellent feet, anticipates pass lanes... Excellent defensive player. So when the other team has the ball, Fox simply covers the PG. But he does not have a very good outside shot. Which hurts because when the Sixers have the ball he'd be a the #2 spot.

The whole outside shooting issue is a product of the fact that through high school, a player like Fox got to the basket at will. His talents were so advanced relative to his peers and competition, that he got to whatever point on the court he wanted to get to at will. Then he becomes a one and done in college. The system has resulted in so many kids not developing their skills because they frankly don't have to. All of these kids have ability to become much better if they want to. Jackson supposedly has a really good work ethic as well. It's going to be either Fox or Jackson if top of the board holds. Would not shock me to see LA take Fox though.

Jackson is never going to shoot the outside shot like Steph Curry. But that's OK. The Sixers have time and resources --- the core is VERY young, plus they have 2 first round picks in both 2018 and 2019 drafts.

With work I believe Jackson has the skills to develop a very nice 15-18' jumper. And again, for a SF that's OK. But right now he already brings some other very nice skills to the team: excellent defender, good rebounder, good height/length, very athletic, can run the floor, good with ball in hands..... Take those things, add a 15-18' jumper and you have an All-Star at SF.

He reminds me of Jimmy Butler, who also took a little while to develop his jumper.

He reminds me of Jimmy Butler, who also took a little while to develop his jumper.

Right now, I'd say Josh Jackson would be my pick. At #3 you can not make a mistake and you have to get a player that will contribute. Everyone is saying the Sixe biggest need is outside shooting -- and that is correct -- but they also have an opening at SF.

IMO, Jackson is the safest pick. His game checks off every box as either "very good" or "excellent", except outside shooting. Athletic ability, ball handling, defense, rebounding, coach-ability, character, hustle, run the floor.... check, check, check, check .....

Even if Jackson does not develop a better outside shot, he still gives you an extremely athletic 6'8" SF, who gets you 12-15 PPG based on running the floor, 5-8 RPG, 1-2 steals per game and provides very good defense vs. other team's SF. IMO, worst-case scenario for Jackson is that you draft a very reliable, very good defensive SF who will be in the league 10 years +.

I'm not sure the other candidates at #3 are that reliable.

Jackson is an OK fit. Right now the Sixers seem set at C (Embid) and PF (Saric) and they also appear to be sold on Simmons at PG. With those 3 in place they need to address SG and SF. And at leafs one of them needs to be an outstanding outside shooter (preferably both).

IMO, their decision at #3 comes down to Jackson -- who would be the starting SF from day 1. Or a guy like Fox who would be a combo Guard from day.

Personally I prefer Jackson if the choice were between he and Fox because at leafs he'd be playing in his natural position. He's a SF and that's where he'd be playing. Fox is really a PG, but with Simmons being your "PG" while they are on offense, then Fox would be playing the SG on the offensive end. What I could envision is when Sixers have ball, they have Simmons with ball in hand and playing the role of point. Then on the defensive end they have Fox cover the other teams' PG.

The choice of Jackson makes it a cleaner pick.

If I were Colangelo ..... I would take JJ at #3 and I'd have my SF. I would then POTENTIALLY have 4 young building blocks at Center (Embiid), SF (Jackson), PF (Saric) and PG (Simmons). I would then go and over-pay a guy like JJ Reddick as a free agent. I believe Reddick makes a ton of sense for this team. They'd have to over-pay and probably be stuck with maybe 1 or even 2 years of his contract after he is too old, but for the next 1-2 seasons he'd be perfect.
Agree Jackson seems to be the clear choice. Like the Reddick idea also. I would try to get a pg/sg with their second round picks and maybe catch a great player.

After 15 years, I will watch this team. I'll temper my expectations until we get to see Simmons play.

Agree Jackson seems to be the clear choice. Like the Reddick idea also. I would try to get a pg/sg with their second round picks and maybe catch a great player.

After 15 years, I will watch this team. I'll temper my expectations until we get to see Simmons play.

Your point about "see Simmons play".... IF Simmons is the real deal, then he is a talent that will make others around him better. For example: Nic Stauskas. The book on Stauskas coming out was that he did have a good outside shot. Does a Nic Stauskas all of a sudden "get better" by being agle to spot up from about 19-21' feet out waiting for Simmons to kick the balm out to him.

ADVERTISEMENT