ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers/NBA draft lottery tonight

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
bIweiiG.jpg

My buddy is a season ticket holder and going to the Liberty Ballers party. He has stated he will streak if we get 1 and 4.

by what I see on TV the Ball kid from UCLA is the only kid in the draft. (well at least in his fathers mind).

My dream scenario:
1. The actual card with "Sixers" gets slotted into the #7 slot (the worst they can pick)

2. The card with "Lakers" gets slotted into the #4 slot

3. The actual card with "Kings" gets the #1 overall pick

In this scenario the Sixers would get the #1 & #4 overall picks, but both of those selection positions would be directly linked to Sam Hinkie.

For some reason I can not stand Colangelo. I am not an automatic nepotism "hater". I actually feel that being raised in a family in a certain line of work can be beneficial. ... The kid raised by a Dad who owns a construction firm is most likely going to know more about construction than a kid raised by accountants. But there is just something about this Colangelo guy. He looks like a total weasel. A guy that did get his position in life via nepotism, and now thinks he's hot shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
The question is will the Sixers ever NOT be in the rebuilding mode - it seems that they have had top picks for like 10 years and still stink. I can't believe the fans have hing in there with them - look at the Celtics who seem to have rebuilt in like 3 years.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
My dream scenario:
1. The actual card with "Sixers" gets slotted into the #7 slot (the worst they can pick)

In this scenario the Sixers would get the #1 & #4 overall picks, but both of those selection positions would be directly linked to Sam Hinkie.

For some reason I can not stand Colangelo. I am not an automatic nepotism "hater". I actually feel that being raised in a family in a certain line of work can be beneficial. ... The kid raised by a Dad who owns a construction firm is most likely going to know more about construction than a kid raised by accountants. But there is just something about this Colangelo guy. He loos like a total weasel. A guy hat did get his position in life via nepotism, and now thinks he's hot shit.
Feel the same way; does anyone have confidence that Colangelo will make the correct decisions? He can't screw up the lottery, but it is what he does with the picks and the roster.

My dream scenario:

For some reason I can not stand Colangelo. I am not an automatic nepotism "hater". I actually feel that being raised in a family in a certain line of work can be beneficial. ... The kid raised by a Dad who owns a construction firm is most likely going to know more about construction than a kid raised by accountants. But there is just something about this Colangelo guy. He loos like a total weasel. A guy hat did get his position in life via nepotism, and now thinks he's hot shit.

For the Sixers to be slotted #7, that means that 3 teams lower than #4 have jumped into the Top 3, which means the Lakers would be slotted #6 in that scenario.

Reactions: bison13
My dream scenario:

That happens and they take their #1 pick as a center and the #4 pick as Euro who won't come over for 2 years. Then they trade Okafur for nothing. It would be perfect.

The question is will the Sixers ever NOT be in the rebuilding mode - it seems that they have had top picks for like 10 years and still stink. I can't believe the fans have hing in there with them - look at the Celtics who seem to have rebuilt in like 3 years.

Celtics didn't start at where the Sixers started. With an injured Andrew Bynam after giving up two first round picks in the deal.

Been a long 4 years, but we have the potential tonight to get our 3rd POTENTIAL superstar.

You remind me of the Penn State fans bitching about Franklin the first two years when he was recruiting his ass off. Some people don't have the patience to wait for a plan to come together. Want everything now. The path to a title in basketball means you have to have superstar talent...either recruit it or draft it. Drafting it was the only way forward for the Sixers.

Celtics didn't start at where the Sixers started. With an injured Andrew Bynam after giving up two first round picks in the deal.

Been a long 4 years, but we have the potential tonight to get our 3rd POTENTIAL superstar.

You remind me of the Penn State fans bitching about Franklin the first two years when he was recruiting his ass off. Some people don't have the patience to wait for a plan to come together. Want everything now. The path to a title in basketball means you have to have superstar talent...either recruit it or draft it. Drafting it was the only way forward for the Sixers.

Judge - EXACTLY.

People are critical of the Sixers re-build but they seem to forget the total grease fire left behind by Collins. I believe the better PSU analogy is the program inherited by OB because at least by the time Franklin arrived the program was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. What OB inherited was a total nuclear disaster.... and a nuclear disaster is what Hinkie inherited.

Huge contracts to stiffs like Bynam that literally cripple NBA teams, 1st round draft selections that were traded away, no talent on the roster....

People forget that when Hinkie was hired he could not just come in and rebuild, he had to first clean up the mess (IE - Bynum contract) left behind by the previous guy.

I read a piece the other day that puts things in perspective.... If not for Hinkie's trades this franchise would not even have a 1st round pick. Their original first round pick was traded away in Bynum deal. So Hinkie pulled off a trade to get back their own pick, made a deal with the Lakers to possibly get their pick and swung another deal to be able to swap picks with Sacramento. If not for Hinkie, the Sixers would be sitting around at the NBA draft with no 1st round pick.

........ But that douche-face Colangelo will get credit when they start winning 50 games per year. Like you said, they already have 3 POTENTIAL stars to build around. With "any" type of luck tonite (and in June) they can add a 4th or even a 5th POTENTIAL star.

If things fall right tonite (and in June) Colangelo would have to be a total moron to mess it up.

Well IFFFFFFFF Embiid can stay healthy enough to play in some games (save himself for the playoffs) the 76ers will have the best center since Shaq.
So, if I am the 76ers i want a decent backup center that can play at least 1/2 the games maybe more (is he on the team now Holmes?) . Okafor is not that guy, but he will be a star on the right team. (trade him for a TOP first round pick) Guards are the problem. I think that can be addressed by the draft this year. PLUS I think they have 3 second round picks (some will be traded or stashed in Europe).

Well IFFFFFFFF Embiid can stay healthy enough to play in some games (save himself for the playoffs) the 76ers will have the best center since Shaq.
So, if I am the 76ers i want a decent backup center that can play at least 1/2 the games maybe more (is he on the team now Holmes?) . Okafor is not that guy, but he will be a star on the right team. (trade him for a TOP first round pick) Guards are the problem. I think that can be addressed by the draft this year. PLUS I think they have 3 second round picks (some will be traded or stashed in Europe).

They have Holmes who looks like the perfect backup center for Embiid.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
i agree 100% Doug Collins is a train wreck and caused a lot of this mess. you forgot he gave away Vucavich to Orlando for nothing. Collins destroyed the old Washington Wizards when Jordan came back in the same way he killed the Sixers, horrible personnel decisions.

Hinkie gets a bad rap because the NBA didn't want others to follow his model. Coangelo was handed a great situation but I think he will screw it up.

Hinkie gets a bad rap because the NBA didn't want others to follow his model. Coangelo was handed a great situation but I think he will screw it up.

Agree. Hinkie was one who had the guts to call it what it was. ... A rebuild. In all sports, IF you ares going to be bad, it's much better to be REALLY bad then just "sort of " bad. Hinkie was up front that in order to rebuild the franchise, they needed to be REALLY bad for a couple seasons, get the most ping pong balls, and then hope for a franchise player or two in the draft .....

The NBA did not like him saying this, but he was absolutely right.

I know right now with Golden State the argument can be made about winning without a lottery pick franchise player. GS was lucky enough to get Curry later in the draft. But go back the last 40 years of the NBA and like 99% of the other NBA Champs got or had a top lottery pick (or top pick) to carry their team....
> The Lakers / Celtics teams of the 80s had Magic and Bird who went #1 and 2 in the draft
> The Rockets had Hakeem who went #1
> The Bulls had Jordan and Pippen who were both high lottery picks
> Lakers had Shaq who went #1
> All the Lebron teams .... Lebron went #1
> The Spurs had Tim Duncan who went #1

The NBA is a league that can be dominated by franchise superstars. Hinkie recognized this, stated the fact, and the NBA diid not like him stating a fact.

Not too bad overall for the Sixers... should get a shooting guard at #3... add in Lakers first round pick next year and Sacramento year after that and they are stacked to build for the future. I think Ball goes to the Lakers so the Sixers should have good choice of guards.
Celtics probably take Fulk at #1 ... Sixers could take Jackson or Monk or other good guards

I'd wager that Silver told the 76ers if they wanted to get the #1 pick last year they had to fire Hinkie

Reactions: bmw199
I think they take De'Aaron Fox, the PG from Kentucky with the #3, rather than Jackson or Monk. They need a PG worse than they need a SG or SF, and after Fultz and Ball there seems to be the consensus that the next handful of guys are about equal.

i agree 100% Doug Collins is a train wreck and caused a lot of this mess. you forgot he gave away Vucavich to Orlando for nothing. Collins destroyed the old Washington Wizards when Jordan came back in the same way he killed the Sixers, horrible personnel decisions.

He put ALL his eggs in the Bynum basket. I hope that is NOT the Embiid basket as well.

Agree. Hinkie was one who had the guts to call it what it was. ... A rebuild. In all sports, IF you ares going to be bad, it's much better to be REALLY bad then just "sort of " bad. Hinkie was up front that in order to rebuild the franchise, they needed to be REALLY bad for a couple seasons, get the most ping pong balls, and then hope for a franchise player or two in the draft .....

The NBA did not like him saying this, but he was absolutely right.

I know right now with Golden State the argument can be made about winning without a lottery pick franchise player. GS was lucky enough to get Curry later in the draft. But go back the last 40 years of the NBA and like 99% of the other NBA Champs got or had a top lottery pick (or top pick) to carry their team....
> The Lakers / Celtics teams of the 80s had Magic and Bird who went #1 and 2 in the draft
> The Rockets had Hakeem who went #1
> The Bulls had Jordan and Pippen who were both high lottery picks
> Lakers had Shaq who went #1
> All the Lebron teams .... Lebron went #1
> The Spurs had Tim Duncan who went #1

The NBA is a league that can be dominated by franchise superstars. Hinkie recognized this, stated the fact, and the NBA diid not like him stating a fact.

Yes to all of the above, but there is no way you can defend the process of taking three bigs in succession. Two will likely be given away ultimately so you have Jojo who is still a big mystery and Simmons who may or may not be interested in the Sixers long term. Okafor will ultimately be viewed as his anchor.

I am hopeful that Simmons is the freak he appears to be. They need a shooter. I'd talk to Ainge about swapping picks but Ainge bends everyone over at the end of the day. The shooter would have been the home run here. Should be interesting in that you could have pick of Tatum, Jackson, or Fox. But my guess is that Magic does NOT take Ball.

Hope they trade the pick. Neither Jackson or Tatum fit the Sixers needs. Package the pick, Oakafor, maybe even a future first round pick for a shooter. Or trade down to #5-8. Both Fox and Tatum will still be on the board at those spots and neither is worth a #3 pick.

If the Lakers pass on Ball and his dad, the Sixers will probably take him. They could also go after Dion Waiter or Patty Mills.

Hope they trade the pick. Neither Jackson or Tatum fit the Sixers needs. Package the pick, Oakafor, maybe even a future first round pick for a shooter. Or trade down to #5-8. Both Fox and Tatum will still be on the board at those spots and neither is worth a #3 pick.

If the Lakers pass on Ball and his dad, the Sixers will probably take him. They could also go after Dion Waiter or Patty Mills.

I don't see the Sixers taking Ball if available. They will want the offense to run through Simmons who will have the ball in his hands similar to the way the Cavs run a lot of their offense through LBJ. They need a shooter who will benefit from the attention that Simmons will attract and a guy who can receive the ball after Simmons creates and kicks. To me, Ball is not the guy they need.

I'd talk to the Greens about swapping picks but Ainge will do to his Sixers counterpart what Toney did to him.

My father, who watches every almost philadelphia pro game in all 4 sports, has been saying for a year that the Sixers will be the next Philly team to make the Finals.

I don't see the Sixers taking Ball if available. They will want the offense to run through Simmons who will have the ball in his hands similar to the way the Cavs run a lot of their offense through LBJ. They need a shooter who will benefit from the attention that Simmons will attract and a guy who can receive the ball after Simmons creates and kicks. To me, Ball is not the guy they need.

I'd talk to the Greens about swapping picks but Ainge will do to his Sixers counterpart what Toney did to him.
I don't see much love for Jayson Tatum, but IMO he would be a good choice.

He's 6'8" or a shade over, has good wingspan, is a good but not great athlete, but he's a natural scorer. Has a very good mid-range game, can score off isolation, finishes well around the basket, and has shooting range that should continue to improve. On defense, his wingspan and good hands lead him to make plays. He can get stronger, but that's not unusual for a guy his age. Smart, good citizen, etc.

I don't see much love for Jayson Tatum, but IMO he would be a good choice.

He's 6'8" or a shade over, has good wingspan, is a good but not great athlete, but he's a natural scorer. Has a very good mid-range game, can score off isolation, finishes well around the basket, and has shooting range that should continue to improve. On defense, his wingspan and good hands lead him to make plays. He can get stronger, but that's not unusual for a guy his age. Smart, good citizen, etc.

I agree. I would prefer him over Jackson. I think there will be a lot of trade discussions at the top of the board.

Jackson is an OK fit. Right now the Sixers seem set at C (Embid) and PF (Saric) and they also appear to be sold on Simmons at PG. With those 3 in place they need to address SG and SF. And at leafs one of them needs to be an outstanding outside shooter (preferably both).

IMO, their decision at #3 comes down to Jackson -- who would be the starting SF from day 1. Or a guy like Fox who would be a combo Guard from day.

Personally I prefer Jackson if the choice were between he and Fox because at leafs he'd be playing in his natural position. He's a SF and that's where he'd be playing. Fox is really a PG, but with Simmons being your "PG" while they are on offense, then Fox would be playing the SG on the offensive end. What I could envision is when Sixers have ball, they have Simmons with ball in hand and playing the role of point. Then on the defensive end they have Fox cover the other teams' PG.

The choice of Jackson makes it a cleaner pick.

If I were Colangelo ..... I would take JJ at #3 and I'd have my SF. I would then POTENTIALLY have 4 young building blocks at Center (Embiid), SF (Jackson), PF (Saric) and PG (Simmons). I would then go and over-pay a guy like JJ Reddick as a free agent. I believe Reddick makes a ton of sense for this team. They'd have to over-pay and probably be stuck with maybe 1 or even 2 years of his contract after he is too old, but for the next 1-2 seasons he'd be perfect.

Sixers fans - Just my $.02 but I think Jackson is going to be a very good player. Watched him A LOT at KU and he really had an outstanding freshman year, much better than Wiggins had and Wiggins turned into a pretty good NBA player.

Good luck whether it's Jackson or someone else!

Is Fultz the consensus #1 choice?

A PG who shot less than 65% from the FT line, and led his team to a 9-22 record, 10 fewer wins than the previous year?

Is Fultz the consensus #1 choice?

A PG who shot less than 65% from the FT line, and led his team to a 9-22 record, 10 fewer wins than the previous year?
I saw Fultz play in person, and he is remarkably talented and physical. His surrounding cast was, to put it charitably, less than stellar. I would nonetheless take Lonzo Ball over him, because Ball is so incredibly gifted as a passer and ball handler. He reminds me very much of Jason Kidd..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT