ADVERTISEMENT

Siriux/XM First Team show discussing Franklin to Tenn.

2YsPuIl.gif
The second biggest Volunteer fan next to this guy.

Penn State is definitely a top 20 job, could argue it's better than that, but these programs fluctuate. If Franklin goes he goes, not losing any sleep over it, Penn State will replace him with a solid coach, not a question in my mind.

I'd put my personal Top 5 jobs at (mix of quality of life, path to CFP, recruiting fertility, money, facilities, fan base, national brand):

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. UCLA

Although I support Franklin and like how he still stresses getting a degree and staying out of trouble, he still has a lot of work to do and growth to accomplish before he would be considered for the Clemson job IMO.
That certainly could be true however I’m proposing that Clemson is a job he would take over Penn State, not that he would necessarily be offered it. That being said I do believe he would be considered for it. In fairness after thinking things over I think he would strongly consider and potentially leave for UGA and UF as well just for the ease of recruiting.

I'd put my personal Top 5 jobs at (mix of quality of life, path to CFP, recruiting fertility, money, facilities, fan base, national brand):

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. UCLA
UCLA? Great school, top 5 all time Basketball program for sure, but Football, average at best fan base, they play so far off campus, people really don't care about UCLA Football, facilities are avg at best, they don't have money and they will always be second fiddle to SC. I honestly don't know that they would even be in my top 20.. I could get behind your top 4, but I would still probably have Ohio State in there somewhere and hard to leave out OU. Maybe that's our homework, personal top 10 list, ala Dave Letterman style..

Reactions: Midnighter2
UCLA? Great school, top 5 all time Basketball program for sure, but Football, average at best fan base, they play so far off campus, people really don't care about UCLA Football, facilities are avg at best, they don't have money and they will always be second fiddle to SC. I honestly don't know that they would even be in my top 20.. I could get behind your top 4, but I would still probably have Ohio State in there somewhere and hard to leave out OU. Maybe that's our homework, personal top 10 list, ala Dave Letterman style..

Well, quality of life - for me personally - is better in Pasadena than Columbus or Tuscaloosa or State College. With the right coach UCLA could compete well enough to win the PAC 12. Add in the weather and other scenery and I’d be good with UCLA ;).

Reactions: BBrown

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. UCLA
PSU is the only NE school. UCLA nothing. PSU is a top five or seven program. I am a huge Pitt fan. Tennessee is a Pitt program found greatest never will see it again.

PSU is the only NE school. UCLA nothing. PSU is a top five or seven program. I am a huge Pitt fan. Tennessee is a Pitt program found greatest never will see it again.

True, but no one north of the Mason Dixon save OSU has sniffed anything close to a National Championship since the 80s.

To me the following criterion is what makes a good college football job:
* is the school are they willing to win, I didn’t say cheat
* is the school in a good conference
* how much money does the school have
* within in a 500 mile radius are there 88 division one recruits.
PSU is the only school in the NE that can compete. And trust me I love Pitt

Not really the destruction. People moved and started families elsewhere. It's as simple as that.

I've also wondered if sports like soccer and lacrosse are as big in SEC land as it is in the NE and mid-Atlantic. I really have no idea if this is a factor, but just a few of my kids friends played HS football, and several of them are/were really good athletes - not big lineman type guys but physical fast guys. One of them would have been a good linebacker but he chose to be a boxer.

ADVERTISEMENT