ADVERTISEMENT

Siriux/XM First Team show discussing Franklin to Tenn.

I like Kannel as well, but McElroy is definitely the brains on that show. Kannel did have a great story earlier in the week about getting hundred dollar handshakes while at FSU. Thought it was interesting that they both denied ever being contacted by bag men during the recruiting process.
Kanel- nice guy, but dumb. McElroy: I was appalled at how little he knows about college football history. You’d think he’d study up on some history of his ‘meal ticket’. He’s a dumb-ass too.

I guess that's good and bad, means he is wanted, but at the same token, might mean he is willing to listen..
Actually I think all it means is due to the scandal, I think talking heads don’t see PSU as a destination job.

I am talking about the fall when it was obvious he missed his family and was obviously detached during the games.

I enjoy your outlook on things. This is just one of the things that I don't agree with you on and without attacking that is ok.

Here is my feelings:

If he is going to let his name float out there for EVERY job that ever comes up then I am sorry if I don't feel bad, as others did, when he missed his family.

When is that last time he straight out came out and said immediately: "I have no interest in that job or any other job".

Do you think any of the job floating might have hurt the current recruiting class because you know other schools use that daily, right?

This might be the dumbest post that I have seen on here in a long time and that covers a lot of territory. Your source for your claim that Franklin let his name “float out with respect to the Tennessee rumor” is what besides a figment of your imagination and dislike for Franklin? A couple of fools making something up to kill some time on a talk show? How nice.

I am talking about the fall when it was obvious he missed his family and was obviously detached during the games.

I enjoy your outlook on things. This is just one of the things that I don't agree with you on and without attacking that is ok.

Here is my feelings:

If he is going to let his name float out there for EVERY job that ever comes up then I am sorry if I don't feel bad, as others did, when he missed his family.

When is that last time he straight out came out and said immediately: "I have no interest in that job or any other job".

Do you think any of the job floating might have hurt the current recruiting class because you know other schools use that daily, right?
He likely isn’t even aware his name is floating out there....if he doesn’t listen to XM radio how would he even know? He’s not going to respond to something he’s not even aware of.

Emma to Midnighter.

There. It’s on the interwebs. o_O

Emma should issue a statement denying this ASAP so we can proceed to the part where we conclude there must be some truth to it or she wouldn't take the time to address it. There's a great scene in "Life of Brian" that captures the nature of this stuff perfectly.

I hate the constant rumors every year as much as anyone. He is at the top of everyone's list every year and that didn't happen by accident. His agent(same as BOB's) has floated his name out there almost every offseason until Franklin got what he wanted(big salary, bigger assistant salaries, commitment to new facility upgrades). Part of this too, and I HATE to admit it, is that people think Penn State is a 2nd tier job with a potentially 1st Tier coach. Maybe it's our conference(boy, look at the schedule next year), the weather, the administration, I don't know. That said, Franklin cannot go out the media every-time a blogger links him to some other job.
I agree with you more on the second point than the first. James Franklin's name gets floated for jobs because the business perceives him to be one of the best coaches in the country - and, to be honest, they consider Franklin to be a better coach than they consider Penn State to be a better job, if that makes sense. If you have a guy who the business believes is a top 5-10 coach, and they consider Penn State to be a top 10-15 job, it makes sense to have his name bandied about as a potential candidate for jobs that they might believe to be better than the one he has now.

Reactions: marshall23
He likely isn’t even aware his name is floating out there....if he doesn’t listen to XM radio how would he even know? He’s not going to respond to something he’s not even aware of.

No, no. If Franklin is silent, then he is entertaining an offer and there is no stability in our program. Recruits will begin flipping from us immediately. We’re thoroughly screwed.

Reactions: liontown331
Emma should issue a statement denying this ASAP so we can proceed to the part where we conclude there must be some truth to it or she wouldn't take the time to address it. There's a great scene in "Life of Brian" that captures the nature of this stuff perfectly.

And if she says nothing, there’s still smoke.

It’s an interesting question on ranking of best coaching positions. Obviously it will vary a lot based on the specific criteria people use- recent success, traditional success, in prime recruiting territory, programs with little conference competition, etc.

Who do you consider as better coaching positions over Penn St? It could be a good discussion if kept civil. ;)

Reactions: grinagrin
I agree with you more on the second point than the first. James Franklin's name gets floated for jobs because the business perceives him to be one of the best coaches in the country - and, to be honest, they consider Franklin to be a better coach than they consider Penn State to be a better job, if that makes sense. If you have a guy who the business believes is a top 5-10 coach, and they consider Penn State to be a top 10-15 job, it makes sense to have his name bandied about as a potential candidate for jobs that they might believe to be better than the one he has now.
Makes sense, but can anyone in the world really believe Tennessee is a better job than PSU? Really?

Reactions: indynittany
No, he doesn't have to do that at all. In fact if he were just a trained assassin I would be ok with it. But he needs to spare us the puppy dog eyes about missing his family when he goes 0-5.
If he just had Dwayne Haskins as his QB we would have made the CFP.

Reactions: Texas Lion
You articulated it better than me, thank you, that IS my argument

Kanel- nice guy, but dumb. McElroy: I was appalled at how little he knows about college football history. You’d think he’d study up on some history of his ‘meal ticket’. He’s a dumb-ass too.

So McElroy is a "dumb-ass?" He was a Rhodes finalist.

Makes sense, but can anyone in the world really believe Tennessee is a better job than PSU? Really?
I certainly wouldn't. You're topping out as the third-best program in the second-toughest division at Tennessee, versus the second-best program in the toughest division at Penn State. And I think there are a lot of people in the business who also don't - especially not in their current state.

But they're almost certainly going to pay more - a few million more, most likely. And Tennessee (whether it was benefited by extra benefits or not) has certainly shown over the past few years that it's easier to get top-tier recruiting classes there than it is here. If a totally unlikeable goober like Jeremy Pruitt can sell the SEC en route to top tier recruiting classes, logic would suggest that a coach like James Franklin can do better than that. At the end of the day, being an SEC school unlocks talent in SEC states more than being a B1G school does (if you aren't Ohio State). So I can see a coach like Franklin being attractive, for sure.

He's almost certainly not taking the job, and if there were discussions between Franklin and Tennessee, I doubt that they got much further than "hey Trace, would your guy pick up the phone if we were willing to pay $10M?" and Trace said, "who wouldn't pick up the phone for $10M?"

I certainly wouldn't. You're topping out as the third-best program in the second-toughest division at Tennessee, versus the second-best program in the toughest division at Penn State. And I think there are a lot of people in the business who also don't - especially not in their current state.

But they're almost certainly going to pay more - a few million more, most likely. And Tennessee (whether it was benefited by extra benefits or not) has certainly shown over the past few years that it's easier to get top-tier recruiting classes there than it is here. If a totally unlikeable goober like Jeremy Pruitt can sell the SEC en route to top tier recruiting classes, logic would suggest that a coach like James Franklin can do better than that. At the end of the day, being an SEC school unlocks talent in SEC states more than being a B1G school does (if you aren't Ohio State). So I can see a coach like Franklin being attractive, for sure.

He's almost certainly not taking the job, and if there were discussions between Franklin and Tennessee, I doubt that they got much further than "hey Trace, would your guy pick up the phone if we were willing to pay $10M?" and Trace said, "who wouldn't pick up the phone for $10M?"
But Pruitt cheated to do it.

Given Franklin's iffy reputation as a game time coach, I'd say the numbers are reversed. PSU would be a top 5-10 job if Franklin was a better coach.

He wants to be the first AA coach to win a championship and I believe he can do it here, but he still has some room to grow, IMO.

Let Tennessee come! Maybe CJF will parlay their interest into more $ for the assistants. We need some continuity in the coaches' room.

Reactions: MacNit07
I need a laugh today so would you please list the top 20 jobs in the country that doesn't include Penn State,

I don't have 20, maybe, but I never used any kind of ranking system, sorry to spare you the laugh. Again, I said PSU is VIEWED as a tier 2 job. I don't know if that means second cut after perennial playoff teams, I don't know if that has to do with salaries, facilities, or administration. It just is what it is man. Nothing I can do about it unfortunately. PSU is probably somewhere in the 5-15 range of top college coaching destinations? Would Ryan Day leave OSU to come to Penn State? Was FSU close to convincing Franklin that they were a better job then Penn State? I don't know.

You said. "Penn State is not a top 5-10 job in the country". Don't move the goal posts...list those jobs please.

It's not that hard really:

Alabama
Clemson
OSU
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
Oregon
Texas A&M

Fast enough? You'll invariably do the absurd "we win more games" "Look at our History" arguments, but all those schools pony up more for coaches/facilities/full support of the administration. If any of those schools came calling for Franklin, I'd fully expect him to entertain it.

Could throw in some others I suppose.....Wisconsin(close) Michigan(better job? I don't know, close), USC(certainly has some real things going for it.)

It's not that hard really:

Alabama
Clemson
OSU
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
Oregon
Texas A&M

Fast enough? You'll invariably do the absurd "we win more games" "Look at our History" arguments, but all those schools pony up more for coaches/facilities/full support of the administration. If any of those schools came calling for Franklin, I'd fully expect him to entertain it.

Could throw in some others I suppose.....Wisconsin(close) Michigan(better job? I don't know, close), USC(certainly has some real things going for it.)
It's USC instead of Oregon for me. Oregon has better facilities, but worse access to talent and is notoriously stingy with salaries. USC is a championship-level job with access to championship-level talent.

The rest is bang on. All are superior structural jobs to Penn State in the current landscape. A&M is the only one I'd argue with (mega money and access to talent, but is in a tough division to be a championship contender at), but if you're replacing A&M with anyone, it's LSU.

It's USC instead of Oregon for me. Oregon has better facilities, but worse access to talent and is notoriously stingy with salaries. USC is a championship-level job with access to championship-level talent.

The rest is bang on. All are superior structural jobs to Penn State in the current landscape. A&M is the only one I'd argue with (mega money and access to talent, but is in a tough division to be a championship contender at), but if you're replacing A&M with anyone, it's LSU.

Good points, yeah, how could I forget LSU. I guess any school that pays their coach what A&M does, makes it a school wholly committed to football. Oregon has been pretty damn good on the recruiting trail, I'm not sure about coaching salaries, that's interesting. Facilities maybe second to none.

Agree with this list (adding USC, dropping Oregon, and finding a spot for LSU). But, let's look at another:

1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Penn State
7. Alabama
8. Oklahoma
9. Florida
10. LSU

What list do you think this is?

Agree with this list (adding USC, dropping Oregon, and finding a spot for LSU). But, let's look at another:

1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Penn State
7. Alabama
8. Oklahoma
9. Florida
10. LSU

What list do you think this is?

I don't know, but it would mean less than nothing to me considering alabama is 7th and clemson doesn't even appear. Whatever metric was used(all time wins?), it's meaningless when discussing the pecking order today and which jobs Franklin may entertain.

I don't know, but it would mean less than nothing to me considering alabama is 7th and clemson doesn't even appear. Whatever metric was used(all time wins?), it's meaningless when discussing the pecking order today and which jobs Franklin may entertain.

Well, it depends on how you look at it - some information is missing. Those are the schools for the 2019-2020 season that had the highest athletic department revenue. What you don't see is that Ohio State and Alabama both spent more than they earned. We also don't know how much of said revenue went back into the football programs and we also can't see how many varsity sports each school supports. You are not going to find Clemson on any list like this. You might find them on a list of how much revenue is dumped back into the football program though because unlike other schools, football keeps and reinvests what it earns.

Reactions: ram2020
Well, it depends on how you look at it - some information is missing. Those are the schools for the 2019-2020 season that had the highest athletic department revenue. What you don't see is that Ohio State and Alabama both spent more than they earned. We also don't know how much of said revenue went back into the football programs and we also can't see how many varsity sports each school supports. You are not going to find Clemson on any list like this. You might find them on a list of how much revenue is dumped back into the football program though because unlike other schools, football keeps and reinvests what it earns.

Yup, makes sense. Clemson I think has 7 varsity sports or something and shelters all football revenue, Alabama doesn't have a lot either. I think PSU is up to 17 or something?

Yup, makes sense. Clemson I think has 7 varsity sports or something and shelters all football revenue, Alabama doesn't have a lot either. I think PSU is up to 17 or something?

Penn State has something like 31 varsity sports. OSU has around 36-38. Clemson and Bama have fewer than 20 each. Even USC has around 21 or so. At those schools, 'Daddy gets the big steak'. Penn State doesn't feed the golden goose.

Reactions: BBrown
Penn State has something like 31 varsity sports. OSU has around 36-38. Clemson and Bama have fewer than 20 each. Even USC has around 21 or so. At those schools, 'Daddy gets the big steak'. Penn State doesn't feed the golden goose.

I see, way underrepresented by me, haahah. Yes, we have quite the athletic infrastructure to prop up. Sandy seems to be hiring a new assistant Ad of "blah" every 2 weeks.

Reactions: Midnighter2

2YsPuIl.gif

Penn State is definitely a top 20 job, could argue it's better than that, but these programs fluctuate. If Franklin goes he goes, not losing any sleep over it, Penn State will replace him with a solid coach, not a question in my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT