ADVERTISEMENT

Siriux/XM First Team show discussing Franklin to Tenn.

yet, not a peep from Franklin saying no way.....I know it is his right to play the game.

It is also my right to not feel a damn bit bad that he misses his family and kids while they live in Florida because of the pandemic. This is the stuff I was speaking of last fall.

He isn't going to Tennessee....takes nothing to come out and put it to rest now.

Have any real news agencies claimed Franklin is a candidate? If so, I missed it. If not, IMO Franklin does not need to come out and address anything about it.

yet, not a peep from Franklin saying no way.....I know it is his right to play the game.

It is also my right to not feel a damn bit bad that he misses his family and kids while they live in Florida because of the pandemic. This is the stuff I was speaking of last fall.

He isn't going to Tennessee....takes nothing to come out and put it to rest now.
Put what to rest?

Reactions: BBrown
He hasn't been quick to dispel rumors

If Franklin spent all his time putting out unfounded coaching rumors about him, he wouldn't have time to do anyth
That's the problem with a multitude of of "media" outlets; if one person mentions it and a second repeats it, it is a rumor. One of Franklin's former players at Vandy tweeted that he should consider the South Carolina job and at least one PSU site picked it up as a story. Was that enough to merit action by Franklin to dispel the rumor? It was the same thing with the Texas job. The only difference with the "rumors" of his interest in Southern Cal and FSU was that the speculation, and it was never much more than at, came from higher profile talking heads. Beyond that, if he started every press conference holding up a sign that read "I'm not a candidate for the ________ job" there would be an army of people reminding everyone of the long list of coaches who denied they were candidates for jobs that took shortly thereafter.

Incredibly well put. Thank you.
giphy.gif

Reactions: bison13
if his name is being floated out there, no matter who, what, where, when.

The guy is on top of everything. He knows what is being said.
So every time somebody mentions his name as a coach they want on a radio call-in show he should issue a statement?
How about if I discuss it at my kitchen table tonight over dinner? Should I expect a personal call from him?

So every time somebody mentions his name as a coach they want on a radio call-in show he should issue a statement?

No, he doesn't have to do that at all. In fact if he were just a trained assassin I would be ok with it. But he needs to spare us the puppy dog eyes about missing his family when he goes 0-5.

I am talking about the fall when it was obvious he missed his family and was obviously detached during the games.

I enjoy your outlook on things. This is just one of the things that I don't agree with you on and without attacking that is ok.

Here is my feelings:

If he is going to let his name float out there for EVERY job that ever comes up then I am sorry if I don't feel bad, as others did, when he missed his family.

When is that last time he straight out came out and said immediately: "I have no interest in that job or any other job".

Do you think any of the job floating might have hurt the current recruiting class because you know other schools use that daily, right?

I am talking about the fall when it was obvious he missed his family and was obviously detached during the games.

I enjoy your outlook on things. This is just one of the things that I don't agree with you on and without attacking that is ok.

Here is my feelings:

If he is going to let his name float out there for EVERY job that ever comes up then I am sorry if I don't feel bad, as others did, when he missed his family.

When is that last time he straight out came out and said immediately: "I have no interest in that job or any other job".

Do you think any of the job floating might have hurt the current recruiting class because you know other schools use that daily, right?

Franklin doesn’t really care about your feelings, see how that works.

Here is my feelings:

Its called a "Non-Sequitur and you just did it again.
How would his name being floated for the Tenn job impacted this recruiting class?

That Non-Seuitur is way over my head.

I am not saying the TN job....I am saying the TX, USC, Pro Jobs being floated and what happened to the 2020 class.

Remember, the past few years....I have to think that means something to the recruits.

That Non-Seuitur is way over my head.

I am not saying the TN job....I am saying the TX, USC, Pro Jobs being floated and what happened to the 2020 class.

Remember, the past few years....I have to think that means something to the recruits.

If it got to the level of impacting his recruiting class, I suppose he could send a message to all the recruits and their parents deflating the stories. Would we have any way of being able to know if that has happened?

Reactions: OhioLion and BBrown
If it got to the level of impacting his recruiting class, I suppose he could send a message to all the recruits and their parents deflating the stories. Would we have any way of being able to know if that has happened?

Probably not, good point. I probably just would like a little more from a guy that prides his existence on being on top of everything. My last post about it.

Reactions: RGWhirly
Probably not, good point. I probably just would like a little more from a guy that prides his existence on being on top of everything. My last post about it.

I hate the constant rumors every year as much as anyone. He is at the top of everyone's list every year and that didn't happen by accident. His agent(same as BOB's) has floated his name out there almost every offseason until Franklin got what he wanted(big salary, bigger assistant salaries, commitment to new facility upgrades). Part of this too, and I HATE to admit it, is that people think Penn State is a 2nd tier job with a potentially 1st Tier coach. Maybe it's our conference(boy, look at the schedule next year), the weather, the administration, I don't know. That said, Franklin cannot go out the media every-time a blogger links him to some other job.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Emma Stone has yet to publicly deny my many requests to take her to Paris for a romantic weekend (yeah we're both married, so what?!) so still holding out hope!!

That is utterly ridiculous.
Is it? Why isn't Saban mentioned for every head coaching job? Ryan Day to Tenn? No, because people know that Georgia, Florida, OSU, Alabama, Clemson are Tier 1 jobs. Nowhere to go but down.

Danny Kannel always struck me as a very nice guy, but he seems a bit dim as well. I don't think I've ever heard the guy say something particularly insightful, but then again I don't listen to the guy often at all.
Florida State QBs dim? Imagine that!

Is it? Why isn't Saban mentioned for every head coaching job? Ryan Day to Tenn? No, because people know that Georgia, Florida, OSU, Alabama, Clemson are Tier 1 jobs. Nowhere to go but down.
Yes, it is ridiculous. I swear almost everyone on this board goes out of their way to worry about something or take things as slights. It's not normal.

Yes, it is ridiculous. I swear almost everyone on this board goes out of their way to worry about something or take things as slights. It's not normal.

I'm really blown away by this. Penn State is not a top 5-10 job in the country, so if we have a great HC, OC, DC fully expect them to be on the top of coaching searches. I don't much care if you agree, its a fact, See ya.

Reactions: grinagrin

How is he “letting” his name float out there? What’s he supposed to do, sue every time a random blogger, message board jockey, or blowhard talk show host brings up his name as someone who should be considered for a job opening? And he sure as hell shouldn’t be bothered with issuing a statement whenever it happens either.

Reactions: Option Bob
I'm really blown away by this. Penn State is not a top 5-10 job in the country, so if we have a great HC, OC, DC fully expect them to be on the top of coaching searches. I don't much care if you agree, its a fact, See ya.

I don't know if its "a fact" but I do agree we are not a 1-5 job in the country.
I would differ with the 5-10 part. I would put us around 7ish but thats JMO.

The Tennessee board is a mess. Granted, every board has a few knuckleheads who need to be pulled back to reality at times but they have a lot who have lost it.

Most boards have trouble being critical or even keeled when discussing their own program but the Tennessee board is off the charts. They haven’t been a relevant program for 20 years. They are a bottom dwelling SEC team that gets no national attention until some dumpster fire hits like the cash in the McDonald’s bags story or the 1 day blip mention on ESPN when they lose to Vandy or Georgia State.

When was the last time anyone had a serious discussion about Tennessee football that actually revolved around good football?

Reading their boards, you’d think this was some prime time job that coaches were dying to interview for. 😳

Last edited:

I would expand the discussion. the PSU job is somewhere in the #6 - #15 rank - most anyone would agree with that, and given UTenn issues, nobody is going to go to that school from a top program. UTenn Chancellor already was interviewed about FB coaches, and it did NOT sound like there was interest in making it the highest paid job in div 1. Their scandal kind of points toward more modest pay and low optics around money and FB.

If you expand the search for coaches just from the BIG, there are several coaches names who should appear above JF right now. here are the ones that would be better candidates just from our conference.

1. Ryan Day - would give immediate impact to anyone
  2. Tom Allen - major turnaround at IU
  3. Mike Locksley - just on recruiting and OC
  4. Pat Fitzgerald - results with far less talent
  5. PJ Fleck - turns around everywhere
  6. Greg Schiano - broad experience and already has Rutgers at a higher level
  7. Jeff Brohm
  8. Jim Harbaugh
  9. Paul Chryst - results at Wisky
  10. Kirk Ferenz
I don't hear their names, and they are all better candidates.

Reactions: BBrown
The only "facts" you believe are the opinions you make up in your own head and then assign it to be fact. Which is a major problem on this board. See ya.

I would expand the discussion. the PSU job is somewhere in the #6 - #15 rank - most anyone would agree with that, and given UTenn issues, nobody is going to go to that school from a top program. UTenn Chancellor already was interviewed about FB coaches, and it did NOT sound like there was interest in making it the highest paid job in div 1. Their scandal kind of points toward more modest pay and low optics around money and FB.

If you expand the search for coaches just from the BIG, there are several coaches names who should appear above JF right now. here are the ones that would be better candidates just from our conference.

7. Jeff Brohm
  8. Jim Harbaugh
  10. Kirk Ferenz
Drugs are bad, m’kay?

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
The only "facts" you believe are the opinions you make up in your own head and then assign it to be fact. Which is a major problem on this board. See ya.

I said it was a FACT that it is viewed as a tier 2 job, which it is, empirically. If it was a Tier one job, why would our f*cking coach be at the top of all coaching lists at schools viewed as lateral moves or better? Why wasn't Saban rumored to be at the top of the coaching list for Boise this year?

Simply, the Vols boosters and fans don't have the patience to give a head coach the 4 or 5 years to rebuild. They want instant success and that won't happen. They weren't happy with 9 or 10 wins under Fulmer. Place is toxic.

7. Jeff Brohm
  8. Jim Harbaugh
  10. Kirk Ferenz
No really accurate. Fleck was vetted for Tennessee job according to several in media. Allen has been mentioned for a few jobs since the season ended. Brohm turned down Louisville job last year leading to hiring of the App State guy. Harbaugh is a legion in his own mind so I think he was offered every pro job and is coaching in the Super Bowl next week, in his mind. Fitz name was mentioned for both the Bears and Jet's jobs. Just to name a few.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT