ADVERTISEMENT

Siriux/XM First Team show discussing Franklin to Tenn.

JWB389

May 16, 2017
General consensus was that PSU is a better job. Franklin would listen to them if they called. He would do well.

I had to leave, so probably more after that.

What’s the First Team show? Who is it?
People will talk about Franklin going somewhere until he does.

I wonder what makes them think Franklin would listen?? Given the atmosphere in Knoxville, the UT job would be impossible. Maybe if they offered him $10 million per year he'd listen and I wouldn't blame him. It is the SEC after all, where money is no object.

Reactions: BBrown
Wonder how well he and the fam enjoyed Tenn. SEC is so tough with the shadow of Uncle Nick still in charge for probably the next 5yrs at least.. Obviously if they threw enough guaranteed $ at him he would have to listen..

I wonder what makes them think Franklin would listen?? Given the atmosphere in Knoxville, the UT job would be impossible. Maybe if they offered him $10 million per year he'd listen and I wouldn't blame him. It is the SEC after all, where money is no object.
Dusty Dvoracek (in place of Greg McElroy) and Danny Kannel were on today. My take was that both Dusty and Danny thought he would listen as a courtesy. That's the first step and that's all it takes to get the ball rolling.

Tennessee isn't a better job unless they just throw heaps of cash at you and that is all you care about. Unless you have the urge to be an SEC coach, you're doomed to almost certainly never win the conference, have immense 'SEC' pressure thrust upon you by fans and boosters (and idiots like Travis), and you have Florida and Georgia in your division. Not worth it. If your goal is to get to the CFP, you're better off at PSU, but if you can make the jump to Texas or USC, you do it since the path in the Pac 12 and Big XII is much easier.

Last edited:
Franklin would get three years at Tennessee. Three. And if he wasn’t in the SEC championship game by then, he’d be out on his arse.

So $10 million per year for a 4 year deal or $7 million a year for 10+ at Penn State?

Reactions: BBrown and PSUMoose
To be fair, a caller mentioned 5 names with CJF being one of them. The hosts just discussed the 5 and said of those 5, CJF would make the most sense. It was really nothing more than what every fan base across the country does with throwing out coaching targets.

Last edited:
Dusty Dvoracek (in place of Greg McElroy) and Danny Kannel were on today. My take was that both Dusty and Danny thought he would listen as a courtesy. That's the first step and that's all it takes to get the ball rolling.

Danny Kannel always struck me as a very nice guy, but he seems a bit dim as well. I don't think I've ever heard the guy say something particularly insightful, but then again I don't listen to the guy often at all.

Tennessee is less attractive right now than the Mississippi & Mississippi St. programs, they are at the Vandy , Arkansas level.

Danny Kannel always struck me as a very nice guy, but he seems a bit dim as well. I don't think I've ever heard the guy say something particularly insightful, but then again I don't listen to the guy often at all.

I like Kannel as well, but McElroy is definitely the brains on that show. Kannel did have a great story earlier in the week about getting hundred dollar handshakes while at FSU. Thought it was interesting that they both denied ever being contacted by bag men during the recruiting process.

Reactions: grinagrin
I remember a coach who gave up $millions of NFL money to stay at PSU. Wouldn't it be nice to see a coach say he wants to stay at his current school for as long as they'll have him?

I heard it. It wasn’t what coach is interested in Tenn, it’s who should Tenn want. Greg Macelroy and Danny Kanell were the on air talent and they didn’t think Franklin would leave penn state for Tenn, because right now Penn State is the better job. They said Franklin would likely listen, which I take to mean Franklin’s agent will be busy negotiating a new contract.

I remember a coach who gave up $millions of NFL money to stay at PSU. Wouldn't it be nice to see a coach say he wants to stay at his current school for as long as they'll have him?
We have that, just people don’t want to believe him.

He hasn't been quick to dispel rumors
Freaking out over Franklin being mentioned (not saying you are freaking out) is not productive. Franklin can’t be honest and constantly say he hasn’t talked to and so about a job. He should talk. The constant is he leaving crap is getting old. He’s not leaving for a lesser job, and Penn State has the ability to make this a top 5 job.

He hasn't been quick to dispel rumors
They’re not really even rumors...a couple of talk show guys on XM radio talking about hypotheticals is not a rumor. Neither is a discussion on the BWI board. How often does Franklin have to say this is his dream job and he’s not going anywhere? Does Saban or Dabo have to dispel rumors? We’ve been hearing these discussions every year, yet Franklin is still here. He’s not going any where.

They’re not really even rumors...a couple of talk show guys on XM radio talking about hypotheticals is not a rumor. Neither is a discussion on the BWI board. How often does Franklin have to say this is his dream job and he’s not going anywhere? Does Saban or Dabo have to dispel rumors? We’ve been hearing these discussions every year, yet Franklin is still here. He’s not going any where.

That's the problem with a multitude of of "media" outlets; if one person mentions it and a second repeats it, it is a rumor. One of Franklin's former players at Vandy tweeted that he should consider the South Carolina job and at least one PSU site picked it up as a story. Was that enough to merit action by Franklin to dispel the rumor? It was the same thing with the Texas job. The only difference with the "rumors" of his interest in Southern Cal and FSU was that the speculation, and it was never much more than at, came from higher profile talking heads. Beyond that, if he started every press conference holding up a sign that read "I'm not a candidate for the ________ job" there would be an army of people reminding everyone of the long list of coaches who denied they were candidates for jobs that took shortly thereafter.

Tennessee is the least attractive job in The SEC. Toxic culture and a dumpster fire fan base. They would need to exceed 10 mil a year just to get his agent to pick up the phone. The only job that I think he would take is Clemson if Dabo were to move to Bama.

Head on over to volnation if you want some comedy reading. A lot of them think Franklin will be thier next head coach. Most hate him and think they can do better. They are even tracking planes to State College.

• Wow
Reactions: Ranger Dan
Head on over to volnation if you want some comedy reading. A lot of them think Franklin will be thier next head coach. Most hate him and think they can do better. They are even tracking planes to State College.
I saw that yesterday. I happen to have access to a different info stream that I do not wish to detail. Many of them believed that to be true until the morning. Their guru ended the speculation.

What a delusional bunch of tools - they somehow think they are on the level of 'Bama as a desirable HC spot - they are going to have to wayyy overpay for a marginal coach and will suck for many years to come - good riddance.

Tennessee is the least attractive job in The SEC. Toxic culture and a dumpster fire fan base. They would need to exceed 10 mil a year just to get his agent to pick up the phone. The only job that I think he would take is Clemson if Dabo were to move to Bama.
Although I support Franklin and like how he still stresses getting a degree and staying out of trouble, he still has a lot of work to do and growth to accomplish before he would be considered for the Clemson job IMO.

who cares.... its the annual "Franklin out shopping". if true, and I mean a big if, good luck with that toxic waste dump. in the SEC, you have to cheat to win. I do not believe Franklin is cut from that cloth.

Tennessee actually made a good AD hire in White - if not for potential pending sanctions, Tennessee could probably attract some top talent. That said, looking like Kiffen, Freeze, Peterson (UW) on their short list. Kiffen is there if they want him but why would they? Another possibility is the Clemson OC who White has a relationship with.

yet, not a peep from Franklin saying no way.....I know it is his right to play the game.

It is also my right to not feel a damn bit bad that he misses his family and kids while they live in Florida because of the pandemic. This is the stuff I was speaking of last fall.

He isn't going to Tennessee....takes nothing to come out and put it to rest now.

yet, not a peep from Franklin saying no way.....I know it is his right to play the game.

It is also my right to not feel a damn bit bad that he misses his family and kids while they live in Florida because of the pandemic. This is the stuff I was speaking of last fall.

He isn't going to Tennessee....takes nothing to come out and put it to rest now.

I don't typically disagree, but I don't feel like he really needs to stamp this one out. Outside of a little bit of hopeful blogging, I don't get the sense there is really a wave of rumors linking Franklin to Tenn. that he needs to address.

ADVERTISEMENT