ADVERTISEMENT

Sincere question.....

jake_and_zach

Jun 2, 2008
Is there a legal punishment for covering/hiding/protecting a pedophile? Kinda like aiding and abetting for a crime or murder? We all know all the moral logistics and condemnations, however, is there an "official" criminal charge for doing this? I don't recall this ever being discussed......

I suppose a person who knew could also be charged with aiding and abetting a felony, or obstruction of justice, or even a conspiracy charge, but it would depend on the circumstances if any of these would stick. These are also general criminal charges, ie, not specific to covering up child abuse. They could apply to any kind of crime.

I suppose a person who knew could also be charged with aiding and abetting a felony, or obstruction of justice, or even a conspiracy charge, but it would depend on the circumstances if any of these would stick. These are also general criminal charges, ie, not specific to covering up child abuse. They could apply to any kind of crime.

Agree...the issue is what is fair and reasonable for the average person (untrained). A friend got lit up for spanking his kid at a local home depot by a bystander. The cops came, questioned him and the child and laughingly let them go. But, and this is a big problem, there are no standards and there is wide latitude depending on the mood of the cops and prosecutors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT