ADVERTISEMENT

Silly season has officially started

This is the key part. Anyone familiar with the workings of the Big Ten (sports revenue is ancillary, research dollars are considerably higher) can parse a list of potential teams and say who matters and who doesn't. The ACC is where expansion lies, not the great plains. Furthermore, all it takes in one lawsuit to dismantle the ACC's grant of rights agreement allowing UVA, VA Tech, UNC and GT (probably Pitt) to jump to the Big Ten.

UVA and VaTech would both be good additions and would benefit I am sure. They have to come together basically. No UNC unless Duke is part of that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Do you realize how ridiculous this is ? Both UM and OSU are AAU members along with everybody else in the B1G except Nebraska who was when it entered the B1G but has lost it since. That AAU membership is a big deal to all of the B1G members and there's no way UM and OSU would leave to join a conference where many of its schools aren't.

The B1G needs to kick Nebraska out and take Kevin Warren with them

Why woud they care? UM and OSU would continue to be AAU members as would the Big Ten members left behind. Maybe they'd miss the semi-annual Big Ten Academic Alliance kaffee klatches.

UVA and VaTech would both be good additions and would benefit I am sure. They have to come together basically. No UNC unless Duke is part of that.
Duke (and other private schools) are the tough part. Legally, public schools generally lack the authority to approve broad reaching Grant of Rights agreements. Private schools do. The question is if UVA or Tech files a suit (99.999% chance of prevailing under VA law), would the entire thing fall apart or only the public schools (Louisville, Pitt, Clemson, UVA, Tech, UNC, NC St. GT, FSU) or a subset of them. How would it impact partial member Notre Dame? All questions.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire

I can't imagine that a school with a 107k seat stadium and the largest alumni base in the USA is going to be left twisting in the wind.
With the current PSU leadership I can see that happening.

Now, I don’t believe for a second that OSU and Michigan would really go to the SEC. That said, I totally expect the current Penn St leadership is not paying close attention to events or have any contingency plans in place. They’d be caught flat footed IMO with PSU on the outside looking in.

This is the key part. Anyone familiar with the workings of the Big Ten (sports revenue is ancillary, research dollars are considerably higher) can parse a list of potential teams and say who matters and who doesn't. The ACC is where expansion lies, not the great plains. Furthermore, all it takes in one lawsuit to dismantle the ACC's grant of rights agreement allowing UVA, VA Tech, UNC and GT (probably Pitt) to jump to the Big Ten.
And everyone here was telling me for years it was impossible for Penn State to leave the Big10…see how easy it is Boys and Girls??

Reactions: psu00
Furthermore, all it takes in one lawsuit to dismantle the ACC's grant of rights agreement allowing UVA, VA Tech, UNC and GT (probably Pitt) to jump to the Big Ten.
Why in the hell would any conference want Pitt and their couple of hundred fans / football game ?

Why in the hell would any conference want Pitt and their couple of hundred fans / football game ?
Nobody wants Pitt but it is pretty clear they didn’t have the legal ability to sign the agreement without the legislature’s approval and are therefore the easiest way to get to the schools one is interested in.

tenor.gif
ROFL. I want some of whatever THIS ^^^^ guy is on.

Why can't osu & mich just join SEC for football and remain in B1G for all other sports and AAC? Obviously there would be an exit fee involved.

Why can't osu & mich just join SEC for football and remain in B1G for all other sports and AAC? Obviously there would be an exit fee involved.
Seriously, and this has been posted on other threads, the BiG is the top financial conference in the country in 2021 with a payout of around $50 to 55 million to its members. It's projected that in 2024 the SEC will pay out $90 million to its members - with OK and Texas added - while the B1G is projected to pay out $80 to 85 million without any expansion at all. No other conference is within half of those amounts. Think of all of the huge markets inside B1G territory

Serious question - why would OSU want to leave when it has a somewhat decent shot at the CF Playoffs every year in the B1G. And let's face it, CF Playoff exposure is what it's all about - especially in recruiting. Even with the fine class PSU is having this year in recruiting, it would probably be better if they were coming off a playoff year

ADVERTISEMENT