ADVERTISEMENT

Silly season has officially started

K-PATS

Feb 10, 2016

I can't imagine that a school with a 107k seat stadium and the largest alumni base in the USA is going to be left twisting in the wind.

Not all of the SEC is “mega”... of course it won’t materialize. Most importantly southern teams will not travel north after Halloween unless the game is in a doom. New playoff format will be interesting. Could you imagine Bama vs. O$U at shoe?

I can't imagine that a school with a 107k seat stadium and the largest alumni base in the USA is going to be left twisting in the wind.

It sounds like something straight out of the mind of Sir Yacht, the guy who collected tens of thousands of Twitter followers last fall by making up fake stories from imaginary sources about the prospects for a college football season.

That’s not silly, that’s just plain stupid. For the first tweet, the SEC can’t contact anyone. Schools have to be the ones to initiate contact with another conference.

I did see a scroll on the SC feed about Texas A&M meeting about the SEC. They may say “It’s us or them” regarding Texas joining the conference, but I think most will agree A&M would end up on the short end of that one.

If that were to happen, A&M would need to join a conference, and I think the ACC would scoop them up in a second. This would create an imbalance in both the SEC with 15 teams, so they would need to add one more. I really think WVU could be that team. It’s close to PA and the DMV, so it could get more kids to see SEC games. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited:
Maybe OSU should consider joining the SEC.
Natural bedfellows ethics-wise. They can hold down the Northwestern Appalachia sector for the conference.

Ahia State nation also loves bro country music - tis a perfect fit

Not all of the SEC is “mega”... of course it won’t materialize. Most importantly southern teams will not travel north after Halloween unless the game is in a doom. New playoff format will be interesting. Could you imagine Bama vs. O$U at shoe?
Jim Delaney is turning over in his grave (dead? dead-ish?). The conference he spent decades shaping to cater to 2 sacred cows may want to leave the cowpen? The referees will need to be retrained. 85% of the Big10 network’s footage would be garbage. They could only air 1 day a week. Bye-bye wrestling, hockey, volleyball for osu and meatchicken.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
Natural bedfellows ethics-wise. They can hold down the Northwestern Appalachia sector for the conference.

Ahia State nation also loves bro country music - tis a perfect fit
Cute.

Assuming that there is nothing to the original tweet, if I'm the President of OSU as soon as I hear the news of SEC expansion I have Gene Smith in my office and ask "what does this mean for us?" "Nothing to worry about" is not an acceptable answer.

Im hearing buzz about Hawaii and Fresno State to the ACC now. SEC has beem humping UCONN's leg steady eddy as well all off-season - they want a real footprint for March Madness and Calimari not getting it done.

Texted to me

Ohio State to the AFC North, Cincinnati Bearcats to the Big Ten, Cincinnati Bengals to the MAC.

Alabama to the NFC East, Texas Longhorns to the SEC West and Dallas Cowboys to the Big 12

You heard it here first.

Where does that leave The Washington Football Team?

That's a joke right?
Wishful thinking is what it is. I believe that the SEC is courting both OSU and UM. What do they have to lose? They may already know it won't happen, but by starting the conversation with a couple of BIG schools who knows maybe their real target may be right here in central PA. We have a history with Alabama and are playing Auburn the next two years. Would PSU jump to the SEC if offered?

Rumor: Michigan, Clemson and Ohio State have spoken to the SEC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michigan, Clemson and Ohio State have spoken to the SEC.

What are the freaks, geeks, and cheats?
carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

Well in concept it’s interesting to think about the SEC evolving into the one elite conference and everyone else becomes an afterthought. Could they actually pull this off without a few others like Notre Dame, PSU, Wisconsin, Miami, Florida State, Oregon, and USC?

Well in concept it’s interesting to think about the SEC evolving into the one elite conference and everyone else becomes an afterthought. Could they actually pull this off without a few others like Notre Dame, PSU, Wisconsin, Miami, Florida State, Oregon, and USC?
They better hope teams with three or more losses get into the playoffs or many teams will be opting themselves out of the playoffs.

Michigan in the SEC would be an amazing disaster.

This post is obviously completely BS. OSU always is poaching southern states already. Clemson owns the ACC as long as Dabo is there and doesn't go to his alma mater once Saban dies.

Michigan in the SEC would be an amazing disaster.

This post is obviously completely BS. OSU always is poaching southern states already. Clemson owns the ACC as long as Dabo is there and doesn't go to his alma mater once Saban dies.
And OSU isn’t going to get the golden goose treatment in the SEC like they do in the Big.

Michigan, Clemson and Ohio State have spoken to the SEC.
Do you realize how ridiculous this is ? Both UM and OSU are AAU members along with everybody else in the B1G except Nebraska who was when it entered the B1G but has lost it since. That AAU membership is a big deal to all of the B1G members and there's no way UM and OSU would leave to join a conference where many of its schools aren't.

The B1G needs to kick Nebraska out and take Kevin Warren with them

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Do you realize how ridiculous this is ? Both UM and OSU are AAU members along with everybody else in the B1G except Nebraska who was when it entered the B1G but has lost it since. That AAU membership is a big deal to all of the B1G members and there's no way UM and OSU would leave to join a conference where many of its schools aren't.

Pretty sure the conference wants them out already and they want out too. But the B12 will not be a power conference soon and and then they will be stuck in no man's land forever. Warren makes Delany look like a golden god.

Also Florida State adds absolutely nothing to the SEC and actually would probably cause issues. They also gain nothing by joining other than $ that will be sunk by having a dead AD.

Rumor: Michigan, Clemson and Ohio State have spoken to the SEC.

While Clemson and Ohio State will likely be able to win consistently in the SEC, what in the world does Michigan think it's going to do there?

Does Jim H. think the SEC will bring Honig and Witvoet along with him? Talk about oversized, undeserved ego ... Michigan right now is worse than AL, GA, FL, LSU, Auburn, OK, and TAMU. Maybe even Texas. Geez, this isn't 1946, wolverine fans.

Do the smugsters assume they can get a schedule of Vandy, Mizzou, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Ohio State for their 8 conference games every year? Not bloody likely.

If not, welcome to Nebraska's world.

Reactions: bison13

This is the key part. Anyone familiar with the workings of the Big Ten (sports revenue is ancillary, research dollars are considerably higher) can parse a list of potential teams and say who matters and who doesn't. The ACC is where expansion lies, not the great plains. Furthermore, all it takes in one lawsuit to dismantle the ACC's grant of rights agreement allowing UVA, VA Tech, UNC and GT (probably Pitt) to jump to the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT