ADVERTISEMENT

Silas Redd

Yeah, tough situation with not any real precedence for how to handle it. Certainly most of the heart of the team stayed, and had a maturity beyond their years in their thinking and reactions and actions. Redd and Justin Brown could/would have made a huge difference in the first two games, as would have Fera. That team had lots of talent, and under normal circumstances under a new coach may have been 10-2 at a minimum. But players who stepped into their roles had their chance to shine, and they certainly did, sooner or later. That's a big part of the forever memory of the 2012 season for us all.

We had heard at the time that Redd was upset over how they handled Joe, and that Joe had been a major reason he was at PSU to begin with, and that played the big role in his decision. I think Phil may have said that here. This conversation verifies it. While I'm happy for him that the move worked out personally, I have such great admiration for the guys who stayed and fought despite their feelings toward Fester and the BOT that it clouds my thoughts about Redd and Brown and others who left. (Not Fera - family circumstance prevailed). I wanted them to do well with their new schools, because of the PSU ties. Some did, some blended into their new woodwork without making much noise. I never cheered against them, but their names certainly don't carry the same weight as the others.

Only he and his teammates know what it felt like to go through the emotions of that time.

He makes some valid observations. I don’t hear any grudge.

Given his talent and success at PSU he probably would have only stayed one mire year anyway.

I don't know if I would have played under Joyner's ass-baggishness either. Who knows. It's been documented what a circus it was at the time. Everything he thought he was signing up for blew up. Same with a lot of fans who were told by the trustees that we were the problem. None of it made any sense and still doesn't.

I will admit after reading his interview with Adam Breneman, my stance has softened on him a bit. On the flip side, he left his teammates when they needed him the most. Just sayin'
This is how I feel about the situation. I was really ticked at him for leaving, but after kind words about JVP and harsh ones for Joyner I am softening my stance a little. I just wonder what that 2012 team could have accomplished with SR still on the team. They shocked everyone by going 8-4 and could have potentially gone 11-1 with him in the backfield. Silas definitely would have turned the UVA game into a win and possibly Ohio (disaster from the start) and even Nebraska (review screw job). Now that would have really shocked the world!

This is how I feel about the situation. I was really ticked at him for leaving, but after kind words about JVP and harsh ones for Joyner I am softening my stance a little. I just wonder what that 2012 team could have accomplished with SR still on the team. They shocked everyone by going 8-4 and could have potentially gone 11-1 with him in the backfield. Silas definitely would have turned the UVA game into a win and possibly Ohio (disaster from the start) and even Nebraska (review screw job). Now that would have really shocked the world!

Same - even though at the time he said it was a ‘business’ decision, looks like it was actually personal.

Everybody was in that same situation and most stayed, so there’s that.
PSU won 8 games without Redd, Fera, Brown, Fortt, Haplea, Kersey, Nowicki, Pollard, etc. That team had a great chance to win the BiG that year with their full roster.

They also had a top 5 recruiting class coming in until it was torn apart. Pretty amazing given Joe's age.

Last edited:
Great read. Solid kid for sure. Good luck pursuing your dreams on the west coast Silas. Kid gets props.

Reactions: tlbakernc
fledd could have maintained his respect for Joe and disdain for fester and stayed at Penn State, like the majority of the players, including the team's leaders, did.

Yeah, tough situation with not any real precedence for how to handle it. Certainly most of the heart of the team stayed, and had a maturity beyond their years in their thinking and reactions and actions. Redd and Justin Brown could/would have made a huge difference in the first two games, as would have Fera. That team had lots of talent, and under normal circumstances under a new coach may have been 10-2 at a minimum. But players who stepped into their roles had their chance to shine, and they certainly did, sooner or later. That's a big part of the forever memory of the 2012 season for us all.

We had heard at the time that Redd was upset over how they handled Joe, and that Joe had been a major reason he was at PSU to begin with, and that played the big role in his decision. I think Phil may have said that here. This conversation verifies it. While I'm happy for him that the move worked out personally, I have such great admiration for the guys who stayed and fought despite their feelings toward Fester and the BOT that it clouds my thoughts about Redd and Brown and others who left. (Not Fera - family circumstance prevailed). I wanted them to do well with their new schools, because of the PSU ties. Some did, some blended into their new woodwork without making much noise. I never cheered against them, but their names certainly don't carry the same weight as the others.

No real precedence on how to handle it." Ironic that you expected the BOT to know the exact way to handle it.

Brown graduated from Penn State so he’s still a Penn Stater in my book. Fera had a family issue so he needed to transfer regardless of the situation. Redd was disappointing because, as he said, he always wanted to play for Penn State. Then he had a chance to cement his legacy as an all time special player. And he quit.

Whatever. He did his thing. I’m not gonna hate on him for it. But he’s not a Penn Stater in my book. I hope he’s never welcomed back on our field.

Fledd. Changes nothing. Don’t blame the kid for leaving but as he said in the article , the grass wasn’t greener. Transpose that with the idol status kids like Mauti received and it probably wasn’t the right decision even for him. The thing that probably lingers with him to this day is he didn’t stay and fight for his brothers. He said so much and he used the word selfish, and I think that is the scar that remains. We all make mistakes and it’s no fun pointing out someone that made a big one. I’m over it though. He met his wife out there so good for him. I hope he has a good life going forward.

Reactions: sarasotan
I don't know if I would have played under Joyner's ass-baggishness either. Who knows. It's been documented what a circus it was at the time. Everything he thought he was signing up for blew up. Same with a lot of fans who were told by the trustees that we were the problem. None of it made any sense and still doesn't.

Trustees are not sending death threats. Bot did not riot.

No real precedence on how to handle it." Ironic that you expected the BOT to know the exact way to handle it.

The BoT had a bunch of CEOs who ran large companies and should have had a much better playbook than fall on the sword. Big difference between them and 20 year old football players. Don’t you think?

Well the (BOTS) are supposed to be the adults in the room. So yea I expect better of them.
Which of those asswipes is your mom or dad or are you just another BOT fluffer. Haven't been many of them around lately. Take a cue.

I remember when the rumors started about fledd transferring that his father said definitively that the kid was staying at Penn State. When he transferred, it seems that his father was caught off-guard.

I disliked Redd and any other player that left. However, put yourself at 18 - 21 years old and in that situation? What would you have done? You have NFL skills and prove it in college by your sophomore year. Then the team(or company) you sweat and bleed for hangs you out to dry, would you stay? I equate it to working for a company and the manager that believed in you and motivates you is suddenly fired and they assign you and your team to some schlept that is incompetent and talks down to you and treats you like shit, would you stay? Granted we don't know all the details of the situation but we do know that Joyner made life miserable for everyone in the athletic department not just the football team. Then an outsider comes in and tries to destroy your team as well(NCAA), I can't imagine going thru that at that age. Yes, he could have stayed like those that did, however, we don't know the kids back stories, we don't know all the details that led to their decision. It is what it is. We can only hope that more and more people start talking and get the true details out over time that will show the world all the douchebaggery that went on with the pompous assholes that were\are in positions of power at PSU and the surrounding Central PA area.

Thank god we had the BOT to set the precedent on how NOT to handle these situations - they are now the textbook on exactly what not to do - look at Michigan State - they had a 1000% times worse issue and it passed into memory almost immediately because they actually defended themselves even though they were a million times more guilty than anyone at PSU. I didn't like it with Silas but there is no way I can put myself in his shoes - glad he is doing well in life now, it seems his limited time at PSU helped anyway.

I disliked Redd and any other player that left. However, put yourself at 18 - 21 years old and in that situation? What would you have done? You have NFL skills and prove it in college by your sophomore year. Then the team(or company) you sweat and bleed for hangs you out to dry, would you stay? I equate it to working for a company and the manager that believed in you and motivates you is suddenly fired and they assign you and your team to some schlept that is incompetent and talks down to you and treats you like shit, would you stay?

Idk ask Mauti and Zordich and Amos and Jesse James and Zwinak and Belton and Urschel and etc

He said the one thing that ALWAYS bothered me about that time. Most of there kids were in grade school when the events transpired. Why in hells name were these innocents punished for the sins of a coach who wasn't even coaching anymore? What happened was like rounding up John Wilkes Booth's ancestors and hanging them for the Lincoln assassination. Someone needs to explain to me the logic of punishing kids for the sins of adults from decades before.

He said the one thing that ALWAYS bothered me about that time. Most of there kids were in grade school when the events transpired. Why in hells name were these innocents punished for the sins of a coach who wasn't even coaching anymore? What happened was like rounding up John Wilkes Booth's ancestors and hanging them for the Lincoln assassination. Someone needs to explain to me the logic of punishing kids for the sins of adults from decades before.

The same way its "bothered" me that they took the players off the wall and the posters down (for cleaning, wink, wink) that were inside the stadium. It was all bullshit. It was a weak narrative put forth by a bunch of weak minded individuals that had no backbone or maybe had a little too much "skin in the game" if you know what I mean.
There are some past and current board members that need to have the corpses in their closet exposed.

ADVERTISEMENT