ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Yale Bans Outside Candidates From Running for Board in ‘Middle Finger’ to Alumni.

furfoot

Jan 28, 2002
The Yale Corporation will handpick future board members. (The Yale Corporation is what their Board of Trustees is called).
"Yale University's board of trustees will no longer allow independent candidates to run for the school's governing body, doing away with a key mechanism independent and conservative alumni have used to seek representation.

Senior Trustee Catharine Bond Hill announced Monday that the board, also known as the Yale Corporation, was eliminating the petition process through which candidates not handpicked by the university could seek election. The move comes just months after the first petition candidate in nearly 20 years, Victor Ashe, secured a spot on the ballot.
While Yale says the decision will stop well-funded, "issue-based candidates" from bringing politics to Yale's board room, critics say the move stifles alumni and candidates who have for years tried to peer behind the curtain concealing the Yale Corporation's decisions."

I hope that nobody at PSU would ever stoop so low...or am I living in the past?

Is a difference that Yale is truly private vs PSU receiving public assistance (albeit a small sum)?

Yale has the money and reputation to do as it chooses. PSU has state complexities that would make the optics of such a move iffy.

Reactions: psuro
"Yale University's board of trustees will no longer allow independent candidates to run for the school's governing body, doing away with a key mechanism independent and conservative alumni have used to seek representation.

Doug Neidermeyer:
How does it feel to be an independent, Schoenstein?

Boon:
How does it feel to be an asshole, Neidermeyer?

The Yale Corporation will handpick future board members. (The Yale Corporation is what their Board of Trustees is called).

Senior Trustee Catharine Bond Hill announced Monday that the board, also known as the Yale Corporation, was eliminating the petition process through which candidates not handpicked by the university could seek election. The move comes just months after the first petition candidate in nearly 20 years, Victor Ashe, secured a spot on the ballot.
While Yale says the decision will stop well-funded, "issue-based candidates" from bringing politics to Yale's board room, critics say the move stifles alumni and candidates who have for years tried to peer behind the curtain concealing the Yale Corporation's decisions."

yale is named after a slave owner. so after all of the yelling and hand wringing about transparency, diversity and inclusiveness...well, you get the point. Word Salad. A friend of mine rates business colleagues on his "say/do ratio". Lots of talk....but when push comes to shove, they are tyrants.

AbsoluteGlisteningFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

yale is named after a slave owner. so after all of the yelling and hand wringing about transparency, diversity and inclusiveness...well, you get the point. Word Salad. A friend of mine rates business colleagues on his "say/do ratio". Lots of talk....but when push comes to shove, they are tyrants.

AbsoluteGlisteningFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

People need to toss their word salad.

Reactions: bison13

What was hilarious is the statement - will stop well-funded, "issue-based candidates" from bringing politics to Yale's board room - like Yale's boardroom isn't all about politics already - I guess they only want their brand of politics allowed.

Yale is pretty diverse, and 58.8% of current Yale students are non-white: https://www.yale.edu/about-yale/yale-facts#

If that makes any difference.
According to the Daily Pennsylvanian, that goes for all but 1 of the Ivy schools.
i.e. More than 50% “colored” ( that word was used by the student newspaper).
Think about that. Term includes Asians etc..

• Wow
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
According to the Daily Pennsylvanian, that goes for all but 1 of the Ivy schools.
The way were are going it's only a matter of time before there are separate drinking fountains.

Wait, are you saying the student newspaper at the University of Pennsylvania used to term “colored” when referring to non-white students? Was it from a story published in 1968?

For all the pontificating, your opening statement is, as far as I can tell, inaccurate. There is no evidence that Elihu Yale was a slave owner, or a slave trader.

The closest association that Elihu Yale seems to have to slavery is in the 1680s, when he was President of the East India Company settlement in Fort St. George, at Madras (now called Chennai, in India). There are some claims that that he sentenced criminals on a couple of occasions to be whipped, branded, and sent into slavery. There are also some claims that as President, he enforced a rule that all ships headed to Europe from Fort St. George in this timeframe should have at least 10 slaves on them.

Those claims about Elihu, and his time as President of the East India Company settlement, haven't received a lot of scholarly research, so I'd hesitate to put too much stock into them. Plus, there's also some evidence that in 1688 he ended the transport of slaves from Madras.

Reactions: WestSideLion
For all the pontificating, your opening statement is, as far as I can tell, inaccurate. There is no evidence that Elihu Yale was a slave owner, or a slave trader.

The closest association that Elihu Yale seems to have to slavery is in the 1680s, when he was President of the East India Company settlement in Fort St. George, at Madras (now called Chennai, in India). There are some claims that that he sentenced criminals on a couple of occasions to be whipped, branded, and sent into slavery. There are also some claims that as President, he enforced a rule that all ships headed to Europe from Fort St. George in this timeframe should have at least 10 slaves on them.

Those claims about Elihu, and his time as President of the East India Company settlement, haven't received a lot of scholarly research, so I'd hesitate to put too much stock into them. Plus, there's also some evidence that in 1688 he ended the transport of slaves from Madras.
Maybe. The president of Yale’s college council differs in your option.

Yale College Council President Kahlil Greene ’21 wrote in an email to the News that the idea to rename Yale did not originate from internet trolls. Rather, the idea was noted within the 91-page final report by Witt’s committee, as many alumni reacted against the creation of the committee and utilized the aforementioned slippery-slope argument.

“As I stated in my op-ed, Yale — both the institution and the person — have a history of violent racism,” wrote Greene, who penned a column for the News on June 9 discussing racism in the United States, particularly at Yale. “The priority at this moment, then, is to see how the school’s resources can be used to help the communities and populations that it has discriminated against throughout the past few centuries.”

Then there is this painting of him that used to hang at the university:

This later involvement, Pincus said, was the likely inspiration of a controversial 1708 portrait of Elihu Yale that used to hang in the Yale Corporation Room in Woodbridge Hall until its removal in 2007. The picture, titled “Elihu Yale; William Cavendish, the second Duke of Devonshire; Lord James Cavendish; Mr. Tunstal; and an Enslaved Servant,” features white noblemen sitting while a dark-skinned servant — with a padlocked collar around his neck — looks on from the lower right-hand corner.

Regardless, others never got the benefit of the doubt you are giving Yale

Maybe. The president of Yale’s college council differs in your option.

Really? That's what you're using as your defense of your prior claim?

The "91-page-final-report by Witt's committee," that Khalil Greene cites mentions Elihu Yale one time in the entire report. Elihu Yale is not the focus of the report, or even a minor component of the report.

The Yale Daily News article is of somewhat more value to your overall contention. However, what it really shows is that there is conflicting views by those that have studied Elihu Yale as to his relationship with slavery.

Regardless, others never got the benefit of the doubt you are giving Yale

Huh? What does that have to do with your initial claim?

As best as I can tell, nobody has shown that Elihu Yale was a slave owner. So it's not something you can just shed off with a "regardless."

Really? That's what you're using as your defense of your prior claim?

The "91-page-final-report by Witt's committee," that Khalil Greene cites mentions Elihu Yale one time in the entire report. Elihu Yale is not the focus of the report, or even a minor component of the report.

The Yale Daily News article is of somewhat more value to your overall contention. However, what it really shows is that there is conflicting views by those that have studied Elihu Yale as to his relationship with slavery.

Huh? What does that have to do with your initial claim?

As best as I can tell, nobody has shown that Elihu Yale was a slave owner. So it's not something you can just shed off with a "regardless."
Thanks Tom. I don't want to get drawn into a discussion about the guy....I really don't care. I am OK with you thinking that. I will yield on my errant statement that he, himself, actually owned slaves although it would appear his companies benefited from the slave trade.

The fact is, in the late 1600's there were two categories (with few exceptions) : those that participated in slavery or those that condoned it. And this was a worldwide phenomenon. There is evidence to suggest Yale, at least, participated (there are historians that say he set up judgeships to validate the slavery of certain people as president of Ft. St. George) and evidence that he led and managed soldiers who brutally killed indians that revolted his leadership (acting a judge and jury leading to execution).

If you are suggesting that there is "no evidence" that Yale participated in slavery, OK, believe what you want to believe. By today's standards, there is a lot of writing that he, at least, presided over and condoned it.

But that is the rub; by today's standards. these arguments lack context and depth. In the late 1600's slavery was a worldwide phenomenon practiced on every continent. It also wasn't completely race-based. Africans enslaved Africans, Native Americans enslaved Native Americans, Russians enslaved Russians. It wasn't until the 1700's (actually, late 1700s) that most nations began to revisit and outlaw slavery. Some retained slavery via proxy but not in their home nation (Spain, for example, was one of the early nations to abolish slavery but allowed the continuation of slavery in their colonies). The USA clearly was not the first but was also not the last.

So this brings me to the cancel culture. The issue isn't Yale, Washington, Jefferson, Adams, or Columbus specifically. The issue is the uneven application of reason. And, a lack of reason without the benefit of context and understanding.

I am glad to see you are applying reason to these discussions. I singled out Yale to exemplify the lack of consistency applied to the history of slavery and, in fact, racism. I look forward to your even application of reason relative to upcoming associated issues of racism and slavery.

that was my first thought. I believe he is referring to Critical Race Theory.

So I'll bite and I know I shouldn't:
  1. I believe it was MLK, if it wasn't it was someone else that was smart, that said trying to fight racism with racism is never going to work. The offended race simply becomes more racist themselves.
  2. So that leads me to equal application of the law. Everyone gets the same chance. I am in 100% and full-throated support of that tenet.
  3. Having said that, I fully understand that some people haven't historically had the same chance so programs need to be put in place to assure they, at least, have A CHANCE. I support that notion completely.
  4. But there is never such a thing as "the same chance". Everyone's starting point is different. I had great parents that taught me work ethics and morality. That put me in a great place compared to the USA and even more so on a worldwide basis. So will a poor kid born in a trailer court outside of Paducah KY ever have the same chance as the child of a Georgetown professor and the partner who is an Attorney working for the Justice Department (for example)? Or the child of either Trump or Biden? Hell no.
  5. And it goes much deeper. As a child, our family almost never ate out. So when I graduated and started to have business dinners, I had to teach myself how to eat properly. I had to train myself to quit saying "ain't", up-air (for up there) and yinz. I contrast that to several of my friends that grew up outside of DC who's families owned restaurants. And that is one example: how to dress, groom, walk, talk, read, golf, recreate, etc.
  6. Race is particularly vexing. Several races are having little to no problems in the USA. I have, on two occasions, worked for companies that were primarily Chinese (a Chinese candidate sued after being turned down, and her attorney was introduced to the Chinese president and to the 40% of employees who were Chinese, that was a hoot). My company today is mostly Indian (not native American but Indian). 80% of our employees live in India. Not only are the Indians living in the USA having zero to few problems, but all of the Indians in India want to move here. So why are some races, after several decades, still lagging while others (Koreans and Vietnamese) thriving? I don't know.
  7. My conclusion is that I know far too little to have a great idea to solve the USAs, indeed world's, race problems. I suggest that it is a combination of targeted government-sponsored programs to gain better inclusiveness while, at the same time, self-reflection and understanding of each individual's ownership of the problem. My point here is, people of all races have been both successful and unsuccessful. It isn't impossible. So we all need to understand our own behaviors and to understand how we got ourselves here.
  8. I have chosen to just affect what I can so I've done a lot of mentoring, volunteer work and adopting. My wife is incredible and the work she's done in this area is profound. I am in awe of her.
  9. There is way too much of a feeling of victimization and not enough feeling of self-control. Own your shit and make decisions commensurate with who and what you want to be. I know a lot of people that. work their 8 hours and spend the rest of their time recreating (sports, booze, TV, gaming, etc.). that is their choice. I know others that work 18 hours a day and are very successful at everything they do. Bottom line is don't dwell on being a victim. Own your shit and mitigate the time you spend thinking that "it isn't fair". As a PSU fan, I marvel at 18 year old kids that get up at 6am to get their workouts in before a full load of classes only to end the day shagging balls with teammates on a field somewhere.
  10. So life isn't fair, our parents were deficient in some way, people suck, the justice system is crap, cops are tyrants, our bosses are unreasonable, and our politicians corrupt. Yet, I find a way to watch the Tribe, History Channel, spend time with the family, and drive a nice car. You know what? I have gained weight and know the solution is to stop eating. I don't blame waffles or potato chips or ice cream. I blame me.
  11. Finally, I had a person close to me commit suicide 15 years ago. I marveled at how the family handled it. The guy lost his job, was getting divorced, and was just told his soon-to-be ex was taking the kids and moving to CA. he went into the bathroom and shot himself. After the wake, I found myself with his father getting him a cup of coffee. He said to me "you know obliviax, life is all about accomplishment in whatever that means to you. Never stop accomplishing even if that means volunteering, improving your golf game or getting to the next level on Minecraft". I'll never forget that moment. His name was Jim, now deceased, and I said "Jim, you should write a book on that subject." Later, he gave me a copy of the book "A Purpose Driven Life". I've never read it, I don't think I have to. HIs comment and the title are all I need to know.
  12. Specific to CRT, I understand the general background and reasoning. I don't disagree. My concern with CRT is that it may lead to more division. And secondly, it feeds into the notion of victimization. And when you feel that you are a victim, you lose sight of the fact that you have a lot of control over your destiny. Everyone had headwind. Some more than others. To overcome that headwind, one needs to apply the opposite amount of energy, cunning and discipline. Sometimes its not worth it so I just go in another direction until I find my comfort zone.
That's it. Call me dumb, naive, simplistic, uncaring, or whatever. I don't really care. Asked and answered.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT