ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Tate Martell granted waiver.

Wherever he transfers, all QBs in that room should be granted immediate eligibility, should they choose to transfer. And so on and so forth.

Reactions: demlion
I can’t imagine the pressure that will be put on coaches to try to maintain a roster. Recruiting used to be just for incoming freshman (and coaches). Now you are constantly recruiting players with even a year of eligibility left. Players will sign with the top teams, then filter down once they lose the starting position. It’s already happening to some degree but this opens the floodgates. I’m torn on whether this is good for the game.

If nothing else, it just goes to show that the NCAA doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about academics. It’s all about the game.

I can’t imagine the pressure that will be put on coaches to try to maintain a roster. Recruiting used to be just for incoming freshman (and coaches). Now you are constantly recruiting players with even a year of eligibility left. Players will sign with the top teams, then filter down once they lose the starting position. It’s already happening to some degree but this opens the floodgates. I’m torn on whether this is good for the game.

If nothing else, it just goes to show that the NCAA doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about academics. It’s all about the game.
Money. Not game.

this is actually going to cost the schools lots of money. a transferring player can take an official visit from what i understand and an official visit weekend isn't free for the school as airlines, hotels, food, etc...for a player and mom/dad is multiple grand by the time it is done. so coaches are going to ask for bigger recruiting budgets to handle this, more staff to handle both these transfers in and out, etc....

So this goes back to if the coaches and AD's don't want this (which i can see no reason why they would) then this is being driven by NCAA bureaucrats. And the NCAA driving this is because it makes the NCAA money. more transfers means more paperwork to be processed, which means more staff and more staff means more money required. So this is being driven by some upper level NCAA admins who are looking for ways to bloat the NCAA payroll to justify their position and larger pay and bonuses.

You are right about NCAA not caring for academics, but that is not thier driving force. They care more about themselves (NCAA) and not getting sued by an athlete who wants to transfer. Easy way out is let everyone do what they want.

Reactions: step.eng69
So this goes back to if the coaches and AD's don't want this (which i can see no reason why they would) then this is being driven by NCAA bureaucrats. And the NCAA driving this is because it makes the NCAA money. .

This is being driven by families who have hired lawyers.

Simple solution for the official visits. Eliminate them. Players can visit any school they want but on their own dime. Or they can still have official visits but the TOTAL does not change for transfers.

Tate was granted the waiver because, OSU didnt recruit him to stay! So OSU doesnt kiss his ass he gets to leave??? Its a brave new world....

It’s important to know that Tate Martell’s attorney, the Phoenix-based Travis Leach, does not believe his client’s waiver will open the floodgates to full-on college football free agency. Of course, if a broken Humpty Dumpty was discovered splayed on the ground and you happened to be a lawyer, it’d be your job to assure the townspeople those are not your client’s fingerprints on his back.

Still, Leach believes there are specifics to this case that will keep the floodgates closed. Specifically, that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell after Justin Fields arrived in early January.

“This was a fact and circumstances case,” Leach told the Miami Herald. “I don’t think this is something you will see a wholesale change to the way people look at [NCAA transfer cases]. It was a unique situation.”

Additionally, a Miami source told the Herald that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell once he notified Buckeyes coaches of his desire to live.

Of course, that may not make Martell’s case that unique. According to a January Associated Press study, 50 of the 63 applicants (79 percent) have been granted waivers since the Division I Council passed its new guidelines last April.

But the uniqueness of Martell’s case isn’t the point. In fact, it’s the opposite. If a player is recruited over by a new coaching staff, he’d like to leave and his departing school doesn’t contest his departure, well, who is it hurting if Martell is immediately eligible? If Ohio State doesn’t care if Martell plays for Miami in 2019, and the NCAA doesn’t care, why should we? Who, exactly, is hurt by this decision?

One group that’s hurt is all the former Tate Martells who were recruited over at their original schools but had to sit out a year anyway. And, sure, that group may have a legitimate gripe, but there’s nothing to be done for them at this point regardless. Even before last April, the NCAA had liberalized its transfer rules in the years leading up to most recent, loosest change — unless you think it’s a coincidence that so many players happened to have sick relatives in the general vicinity of a depth chart opening.

Another group that’s hurt by the transfer loophole is coaches, and their argument has, arguably, the most merit. Even as public sympathy switches from coaches in favor of players, coaches still have a job to do. There are only so many carries, passes and snaps to go around, and they’re the ones that have to decide who gets them and who doesn’t. These are inarguable facts of sports. Such decisions are going to leave some happy and others not, and amid all that coaches have to build a culture and a team among their group of players, some of whom are always going to be happier with their lot in life than others. Again, I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.

Given all that, it would be immensely more difficult if every player on their roster had to be re-recruited at all times. And if the only thing standing between a typical undergraduate back-up and immediate eligibility elsewhere was the objection of their current school, it would tip the scales dramatically in favor of the players.

Perhaps you, beloved reader, are ready for that. The bulk of coaches most certainly are not, and the Powers That Be writing the rules of the NCAA don’t appear to be either, given the Valentine’s Day announcement that the organization would take another look at latching the door they opened last April.

Tate was granted the waiver because, OSU didnt recruit him to stay! So OSU doesnt kiss his ass he gets to leave??? Its a brave new world....

It’s important to know that Tate Martell’s attorney, the Phoenix-based Travis Leach, does not believe his client’s waiver will open the floodgates to full-on college football free agency. Of course, if a broken Humpty Dumpty was discovered splayed on the ground and you happened to be a lawyer, it’d be your job to assure the townspeople those are not your client’s fingerprints on his back.

Still, Leach believes there are specifics to this case that will keep the floodgates closed. Specifically, that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell after Justin Fields arrived in early January.

“This was a fact and circumstances case,” Leach told the Miami Herald. “I don’t think this is something you will see a wholesale change to the way people look at [NCAA transfer cases]. It was a unique situation.”

Additionally, a Miami source told the Herald that Ohio State made no effort to keep Martell once he notified Buckeyes coaches of his desire to live.

Of course, that may not make Martell’s case that unique. According to a January Associated Press study, 50 of the 63 applicants (79 percent) have been granted waivers since the Division I Council passed its new guidelines last April.

Perhaps you, beloved reader, are ready for that. The bulk of coaches most certainly are not, and the Powers That Be writing the rules of the NCAA don’t appear to be either, given the Valentine’s Day announcement that the organization would take another look at latching the door they opened last April.

Of course the lawyer will say this is unique as if the NCAA just gets rid of the year sit out rule, the lawyer loses all the families paying him to exploit the loophole.

The concept of amateur based college sports is dead, at least for revenue generating sports. You can’t have a multi billion dollar industry that operates the way the NCAA does. They want it both ways, taking the TV money and keeping the figment of amateurism. But you can’t have both, not with the amount of money involved.

Time to admit it and either move on or live with semi-pro sports. Too bad. Another enjoyable institution ruined.

Reactions: stormingnorm
The concept of amateur based college sports is dead, at least for revenue generating sports. You can’t have a multi billion dollar industry that operates the way the NCAA does. They want it both ways, taking the TV money and keeping the figment of amateurism. But you can’t have both, not with the amount of money involved.

Time to admit it and either move on or live with semi-pro sports. Too bad. Another enjoyable institution ruined.

NCAA doesn't care about amateur sports. They care about being NON-PROFIT as therefore no taxes, that is all they care about with respect to staying 'amatuer'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT