ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: PA schools done for the year

God - I'm only 12 years or so removed from high school, and I can obviously still remember the anxiety of starting my senior year (baseball) and how, while I rode the pine as Junior, this was my shot to start. All the offseason workouts, the after-school lifting, the early morning conditioning... to have that taken away, I just couldn't imagine. At least at the college level, they have the option now to come back for another year (and with this job market, wow... I'd do a 1-year master's in acctg or finance if I had already enough credits to graduate). But in high school - you miss this, you miss this for life. I don't know if we are fully comprehending that loss yet.
I can’t even imagine how devastating it would have been to my son to miss his senior year of baseball. It would have crushed him even though he went on to play in college....it’s not the same. I feel really bad for the senior spring sport athletes.

Reactions: Sharkies and Madsol
The school district in NC where my wife teaches gave every kid who didn't have a computer or internet access a Chromebook and / or hotspot. What no one saw coming was it made these families a target for robbery by POS freaking thugs who know what families now have thee in their homes.
I teach in Raleigh and yes they did

PA will not be the last state to call classes for the year. If one kid caught this virus and died if schools were to reopen talk about a sh!t show then. Until a vaccine is out things will be a little herky jerky and this may be the new norm for a while. I am not a fan of state stores closing but here in North Carolina we can still get our drink on.

Except the reality is there won’t be a vaccine through trials for roughly 1 year. Then they have to ramp up production to cover the entire planet. You can’t shut the economy down for a year (minimum).

The other reality is that the virus isn’t going away and people will continue to get it from now on. If your looking for a 100% guarantee that nothing will open until no one will catch the virus there- it’s just not going to happen. Prepare to never leave your house again. ;)

Except the reality is there won’t be a vaccine through trials for roughly 1 year. Then they have to ramp up production to cover the entire planet. You can’t shut the economy down for a year (minimum).

The other reality is that the virus isn’t going away and people will continue to get it from now on. If your looking for a 100% guarantee that nothing will open until no one will catch the virus there- it’s just not going to happen. Prepare to never leave your house again. ;)
Thats true Hoping for this to end soon

Reactions: psu00
I was surprised to see this. By surprised, I mean surprised at the timing. I don't understand why they couldn't have let it at indefinite and then waited to see what happened. Even if they brought kids back in the middle of May and ended at the end of June, that would have saved at least part of the year.

Full disclosure: I am the dad of a senior in high school and my heart breaks for her and her friends. Maybe it was false hope, but as long as school had not been cancelled for the year, I could still encourage her that she might get to play her last lacrosse season and go to Prom and go on her senior trip and have graduation. Not any more.
I truly feel terrible for the Seniors especially and the athletes who lose the year.
That being said, this is what I thought would happen. The week to week (or more) was just giving false hope. What do you think would happen if May 1st, 1.7 million kids went back to school. More people would start getting sick about Memorial Day.
Luckily, we live in a farily affluent District. They distributed Chromebooks K-12 as needed on Day 2, negotiated with the 2 local internet providers (1 offered free install & service for 2 months, the other free install & $8.99 / month for 3 months) and been teaching since Day 3.

This really blows for seniors I know losing that Senior Year of baseball would have crushed me back then, add to that prom. Soccer, softball, track, whatever..... done.

Now they have big summer seasons and such available, but I'm starting to wonder if they are going to go nuts and cancel the summer. I think that would be nuts and think by July games can get going (at least youth sports), but who knows.

I can’t even imagine how devastating it would have been to my son to miss his senior year of baseball. It would have crushed him even though he went on to play in college....it’s not the same. I feel really bad for the senior spring sport athletes.

today is my mother in laws 70th. My wife arranged a car drive by for her. My wife’s cousins daughter is a senior in HS. I spoke briefly to her when they drove by. She was nearly in tears after getting the news today. Very sad

today is my mother in laws 70th. My wife arranged a car drive by for her. My wife’s cousins daughter is a senior in HS. I spoke briefly to her when they drove by. She was nearly in tears after getting the news today. Very sad
I can imagine....I feel for all the seniors.

I saw a joke the other day about a mother who was home schooling her children and she called 911 and told the operator that one of these little bastards had called in a bomb threat and wanted to know what she should do.

Another mother was caught scraping a sticker of her SUV about her child being an A+ student at the local elementary school.

ADVERTISEMENT